Code of Conduct

Default Zaharoff Signature Pour Homme

Haven't seen that much talk about it on here and it's amazing, so figured I'd share my thoughts (inital impressions from my sampling are below the video; I think its sweeter than I first thought)

IMG_20200310_203315_349.jpg

• ZAHAROFF SIGNATURE POUR HOMME •

George Zaharoff is such a great person, one could almost forget that his fragrance might not live up to the hype (or forgive him if it doesn't). Spoiler: It does live up to the hype, so much that I already have a bottle on the way!

I wanted to get Signature Pour Homme just to support the brand, but I wouldn't blind buy it. It's a bit of a fougère style fragrance, and I don't usually wear those, so I was glad to sample it first. Luckily for me, this is not a straight-forward or lavender heavy fougère. Upon spraying, you definitely get that vibe, but the lavender is toned down, modern, smoothened and well-balanced. Signature Pour Homme starts off somewhere between a throwback to the fragrances that my father used to wear (no idea which, might have been a Van Gils) and a more modern, clean vetiver along the lines of Tom Ford's Grey Vetiver. There's a lot of great smelling brightness in the opening as well, in a similar way the Acqua Di Parma DNA pulls it off. One of the better openings I've smelled and it screams quality.

After a short while, this changes up on you. To my nose, the more classic fougère scent fades, and it simultaneously becomes more of a soapy vetiver and a bit darker or more masculine. It's quite complex, with wafts of a woody heaviness (there's oud) and wafts that remind me of Grey Vetiver. Later in the drydown, the soapiness turns into more of warm linen on my skin and there's a hint of sweetness. Eventhough the scent is completely different, this has the same perfect combination of masculinity and cleanliness that reminds me of Amouage Reflection Man. Texture wise as well, despite the patchouli and incense, it's not as powdery as one would expect. It's very smooth.

Performance is good. Upon my first couple of wears, I feel that projection is moderate, which depending on your preference can be a plus or a minus. I intend to wear this to the office mainly, which I think this is a perfect scent for. If you want to make a statement, it might be too subtle. For me this is a winner and I knew I wanted a bottle straight away •

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Zaharoff Signature Pour Homme

Thanks for sharing your impressions.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Banned

What is this, never heard of this brand!
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

The house has been around for many years.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Bolkonsky View Post
    What is this, never heard of this brand!
    I think the brand released a fragrance and I think some women's fragrances as well in the late 90's (not sure of when exactly), George revived it last year. I think they're going to release the first flanker soon.

This keeps popping up on my radar. Might have to give this a try.
    "Work saves us from three great evils: boredom, vice and need" - Voltaire

If you go to his website, you can request a free sample. Really nice guy. I initially liked it, but it lingers in a way that turned a bit sour on my skin. Really wanted to like it, but even my wife was turned off by it. Once she was turned off, game over. lol

But it's a great affordable fragrance and I've only seen positives from others.

It’s a fantastic creation that’s oud dominant, genuine oud oil. You can clearly smell the agarwood trails in this. I should know, I’m an avid fan of genuine oud oil. The perfume is focused on oud, lavender (hence the purple color of the liquid), patchouli, sandalwood, vetiver, jasmine flower and amber. I wouldn’t say that this is a throwback to days long forgotten 40 years ago but it’s certainly a heavy and brutal masculine creation. Very complex and very strong. You only need a spritz and that’s it... it’s genuine oud gentleman which means that this is a nuke and once again, agarwood is the first dominant note. I like it but I’m mixed on it. I like the smell. It’s warm and inviting but so incredibly heavy and deep that I personally don’t know the time or place to wear this. It’s a super formal perfume. I’m talking about tuxedo like. The problem with Zaharoff is it’s versatility. One thing I can promise you is that that 100ml flacon will last you a lifetime. Honestly, you only need 1 ‘spritz’ of this on your core. Allow it to develop and you’ll clearly smell the oud in this. It’s a stellar oud. Never smelled one like this before. My hat is off to this gentleman. Anyone that personally responds to posts and offers free samples of their perfume knows very well what they’re doing and for that alone... Zaharoff Pour Homme Signature will receive a 100% in my book. Kudos George and thank you kind Sir for the sample! Maybe I’ll purchase a flacon of this because I truly do like this agarwood used here. It’s totally wearable. This scent is an anomaly in the most positive aspect of perfumes ever created.

2 flankers coming soon btw

Basenotes Plus

I tried it a couple days ago and quite liked it.

I have tried it. It's a nice scent and it is quality. The description above is very good. It has that masculine fougere/retro feel and the oud note is clearly discernible.
    I'm not into this style of scents myself anymore but would recommend it to those interested in 80s powerhouses and green fougeres.
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

Quote Originally Posted by gewoonBB View Post
    2 flankers coming soon btw
    any info on this?
    “All mankind is from Adam and Eve. An Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action." -

saying of the prophet muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم in what is known as the farewell sermon.

Opens with pear, then lavender, to end with a vanillic myrrh supported by a subtle woody note. Performance is ok.

A very nice elegant fragrance for the office, well blended. That said, the price point is a bit too steep in my book, given what it delivers and its overall simplicity. A feeling of "great, but could do better".
    I wish I could love this one given how kind George Zaharoff has been to mail a free sample on request.

To me, there is nothing in my wardrobe or I tried before like it.
    I am not too good in describing the fragrance notes, but this is definitely a complex scent, well constructed and perfectly executed. I am glad that George decided to return to making men's fragrances again.
    It takes love and courage to start all over again.
    The bottle design is a work of art on its own.
    There are a few Videos on the YTube where George Zaharoff is describing the process of finding the natural ingredients and his personal journey.
    George is a very humble person and never hesitate to personally write back an email or two.
    I also got sent a free (generous in size I must admit) sample with the personalised card from George. Unfortunately this fragrance is not currently available in Australia however George assured me that they are working on a local distribution.
    As soon as it becomes available in Aus I am ordering a bottle.

Really wanted to like it.
    Bought a bottle and tried it a few times.
    Forgettable for me. Cannot even recall what it smells like.