Code of Conduct

Default Chemical and oil storage (bottles and cap types) - best practices?

So as a beginner, ive purchased many (over 80+) storage bottles to store my accords and blends into. Without knowing which type to buy, i went and purchased the ones that have the "glass dropper top" style built into the cap. What i didn't know was, these are prone to exposing your contents inside with air, as the seal usually is not so great with these types of bottles due to the "dropper top" caps leaking air inside over time.

Is there a best practice to what kind of cap one should get when storing their precious oils and chemicals? Ive came across 2 basic styles, in which im not sure if one is better than the other:

This type seems to be the basic of all caps, as has a paper/plastic (?) inner piece inside the upper inner cap to seal:
    cap1.jpg

And this style has a more of a protruding plastic piece in the inner piece inside the upper inner cap, but its not used as a dropper..seems to be a different type of sealer:
    cap2.jpg

What is the real difference between these 2 in terms of which one is better suited for storage? And what exactly is the difference between these 2 upper inner pieces in the inside of the cap itself? From the various different suppliers of oils and aroma chems, i see them using both cap styles depending on who you buy from. So im not sure if one is better than the other in terms of long term storage, of if they are both really equal and im just overthinking this?
    ...bathing in perfumes...
    ► Follow my perfumery journey on Youtube

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Chemical and oil storage (bottles and cap types) - best practices?

For the first type cap, if the liner is paper or some sort of low density foamy material, stay away from it. If the liner is Teflon, it should be fine, assuming the rim of the bottle is designed properly. Teflon partially fluidizes under pressure, giving anywhere from a quite good seal to very near hermetic.

The bottom style caps would generally be preferred, assuming the liner is an polyolefin like polyethylene or polyproplyene, but some other plastics would be less desirable.

Basenotes Plus

I much prefer the second phenolic cap with the polycone liner. It is nearly everything I buy for 15ml, 30ml, 120ml, 8oz and 16oz bottles that I use.

But the polycone cap does melt in the microwave, if you happen to be doing that operation for some reason... It melts when the glass temp gets high enough and is in contact with the plastic liner. And I will heat in the microwave either without the polycone liner, or with a paper seal liner.

The polycone cap liners also melt in a solar cooker, outside in the sun, as well.

I still prefer the polycone cap liners, I've just learned their limitations by now, and to be fair, I am one to be pushing things to their limits and beyond, anyway.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Ive just purchased a crap ton of type A (the first pic) style caps from Liberty Naturals, and they all fit all my bottles perfectly. But now im second guessing my cap choice if it is an inferior cap, or no better than the "dropper top" style caps I will be replacing.

Ive reached out to Liberty Naturals to see if they can clarify the actual material of this style cap, in hopes that its silicone.

I prefer the cone caps. For ordering bottles and caps, you might want to check out Specialty Bottle Company and SKS Bottle and Packaging.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkkorn View Post

Ive reached out to Liberty Naturals to see if they can clarify the actual material of this style cap, in hopes that its silicone.
    So when i asked what the material is actually made of, they got back to me with a speedy response of :

"It's like a foamy waxy disc.

Best Regards,"

LOL......ok, i guess i got my answer

Basenotes Plus

So when i asked what the material is actually made of, they got back to me with a speedy response of :

"It's like a foamy waxy disc.

Best Regards,"

LOL......ok, i guess i got my answer
    Yeah, those suck.

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    Yeah, those suck.
    are they any better off than the "Glass Dropper Top" style caps (below) for sealing/leakage? ...or did i just waste my money on these new "non-phenolic" caps?

gw23.jpg

Basenotes Plus

BKKORN, there are two really good bottles and caps suppliers in So Cal.
    This is the closest one to you:
    https://www.bottlesetc.com/
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    BKKORN, there are two really good bottles and caps suppliers in So Cal.
    This is the closest one to you:
    https://www.bottlesetc.com/
    Hallelujah!!! You get a gold star! These prices are cheap too! 100 phenolic caps for only $20!? SCORE

Now the $16.46 minimum shipping charge for these caps....hmmmm... decisions decisions. I may just have to bite the bullet and just pay it and cope with the loss of this last batch of poorly made cap decisions....

Basenotes Plus

Hallelujah!!! You get a gold star! These prices are cheap too! 100 phenolic caps for only $20!? SCORE

Now the $16.46 minimum shipping charge for these caps....hmmmm... decisions decisions. I may just have to bite the bullet and just pay it and cope with the loss of this last batch of poorly made cap decisions....
    Make sure you get the ones with the polycone liners (made of polyethylene). The important part is not the phenolic caps themselves, as they don't contact the liquid, the important part is the liner.

Basenotes Plus

Just keep the other caps for something else.
    you can only imagine the many types of bottles and caps that live here...
    You can find a use for them again.

If you want to go in with someone on bottles and/or caps, it's much better to buy in magnitudes of 500-2500 for the price breaks.

I remember years ago meeting another perfumer at this bottle company and counting out hundreds of bottles and caps to split a large order to get the better prices.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Thanks for your help guys for setting me straight on the right cap choice. I'm just gonna go with 18/400 Phenolic Ribbed Caps with Polycone Seal Liner for my 15ml bottles from https://www.bottlesetc.com/ and start with 100 caps, and bite the bullet and pay the $16 delivery charge. Thats the price I have to pay for a bonehead move of buying wrong caps to begin with....Lesson Learned.

Sucks they suspended Pickups/Will calls...they are only like 20min away from me. #thankscoronavirus

What do you think about those?
    Screenshot (69).jpg

They look a bit different like the ones mentioned but are made out of polypropylene

just an update -

Im glad these new Phenolic Ribbed Caps with Polycone Seal Liner arrive when they did. After a heat wave here in Southern California this past weekend, ive noticed a lot of my 'diluted' bottles that had these bulb dropper style caps started to evaporate....some almost 20% of the contents inside were gone!

I immediately moved over every single bottle with the new cap this morning, and some even had to discard the contents inside because i had no idea what the dilution ratio had become after a lot of the alcohol had escaped/evaporated.

Good looking out guys, lesson learned indeed.

***Ps - these new caps are freaking great!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by HarderTribe View Post
    What do you think about those?
    Screenshot (69).jpg

They look a bit different like the ones mentioned but are made out of polypropylene
    I've seen the softer plastic caps go bad, weep, break, leak.. So I only use the hard phenolic type caps. They only go bad when you drop them and break them.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

At the Moment i got these.
    They are completely made out of hard Polypropylene

They Seller says that the sealing is good enough for watery and oily substances. But no guarantee for oils

Basenotes Plus

I have just ordered these at a good price here in Australia - just a heads up to Australian customers who might come across this in the future (not sure how many there are on here?)

https://www.sunnypack.com.au/product...pe-cone-liner/

They specifically mention fragrance oils in the description:
    Phenolic 18-410 lid with polycone liner. This lid is perfect for chemicals, solvents, oils, essential oils, cleaners, fragrance oils, and more. This cap comes with a polycone liner, a built-in polypropylene (PP) natural-colored conical-shaped liner that provides a tight seal. This lid is made of phenolic, an industrial grade, highly rigid, plastic with a good resistance to solvents and high temperatures. This closure fits a container with all our DIN18 neck finish bottles.

20400mm_CT_Black_Ribbed_PolyCone_Lined_Phenolic_Cap1.jpg

Basenotes Plus

My bottles have now arrived and both bottles and lids appear to be good quality.

My one worry is that they have a light metallic, sulphuric smell inside them. Is it advised that I wash them all first, before diluting my ingredients into them?
    If so, what's a good cleaning chemical to use on new bottles? Just dish detergent? Dishwasher detergent? (unscented) Laundry powder?

I have purchased 30x 30ml clear bottles for trials and 300x amber 30ml. I suppose I could wash and dry them in batches as I go along - because realistically it won't be possible to dilute 100 ingredients in one sitting!

Quote Originally Posted by jameshillier View Post
    My bottles have now arrived and both bottles and lids appear to be good quality.

My one worry is that they have a light metallic, sulphuric smell inside them. Is it advised that I wash them all first, before diluting my ingredients into them?
    If so, what's a good cleaning chemical to use on new bottles? Just dish detergent? Dishwasher detergent? (unscented) Laundry powder?

I have purchased 30x 30ml clear bottles for trials and 300x amber 30ml. I suppose I could wash and dry them in batches as I go along - because realistically it won't be possible to dilute 100 ingredients in one sitting!
    Strange because i never had amber bottles that smelled
    I use Isopropanol to clean the beakers i used for trials, i think thats the best you can do to clean it

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the tip!

Basenotes Plus

I would like to ask, do you know where I can buy phenolic caps in the EU? Unfortunately I can't find any shop; US, GB, CHN only...
    Currently wearing: Hot Water by Davidoff