Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Dependent MELVCMS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,695

    Default Oud Rouge Intense vs Royal Oud

    Fragrance Du Bois - Oud Rouge Intense
    &
    Creed - Royal Oud



    To those who own, or have tried these side by side - what are the differences?

    I've had Royal Oud a few times and have sold it off ( in the past )

    My decant of Oud Rouge Intense was too small to properly wear and make comparison.


    While they definitely smell similar, and the limited time ive had to spend with the Oud Rouge Intense, I could only gather that the Fragrance Du Bois was much superior in quality.

    But how do they differ in every other aspect ?
    Currently wearing: Hacivat by Nishane

  2. #2

    Default Re: Oud Rouge Intense vs Royal Oud

    Man I'd like to hear the answer to this also. Royal Oud is my favorite frag and I've heard that Oud Rouge Intense is an "upscale" Royal Oud.

    Now I'm certainly biased - (like I said) R.O. is my favorite frag - but I don't know how thats even possible as R.O. is the most beautiful, luxurious, opulent - whatever superlatives you can come up with - frag I've ever put my nose on. Incredibly well-blended and very high quality. One of the best frags from one of the best houses.

    But I'd certainly like to hear from someone who has experience with both. Superior in quality? I guess its possible. "Much" superior? I can't see it.
    Currently wearing: Oud Malaki by Chopard

  3. #3
    Fragrance, sensory bliss.
    speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,234

    Default Re: Oud Rouge Intense vs Royal Oud

    Houbigant Bois Mystique is another one to check out, I read it’s similar to Royal Oud. Royal Oud is a very nice fragrance was a favorite of mine it’s so well blended I can’t find any wrong in it other than wishing the dry down held on to the awesome mid notes.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

  4. #4
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    322,532

    Default Re: Oud Rouge Intense vs Royal Oud

    I own and love both and although I can't pinpoint the differences, I find I much prefer the Fragrance Du Bois.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  5. #5
    Dependent MELVCMS01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,695

    Default Re: Oud Rouge Intense vs Royal Oud

    I definately prefer the FDB too Hednic ,

    Just trying for the life of me to work out why I love it but dont like the Creed.
    Currently wearing: Hacivat by Nishane

  6. #6
    Basenotes Plus
    tspencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,586

    Default Re: Oud Rouge Intense vs Royal Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Man I'd like to hear the answer to this also. Royal Oud is my favorite frag and I've heard that Oud Rouge Intense is an "upscale" Royal Oud.

    Now I'm certainly biased - (like I said) R.O. is my favorite frag - but I don't know how thats even possible as R.O. is the most beautiful, luxurious, opulent - whatever superlatives you can come up with - frag I've ever put my nose on. Incredibly well-blended and very high quality. One of the best frags from one of the best houses.

    But I'd certainly like to hear from someone who has experience with both. Superior in quality? I guess its possible. "Much" superior? I can't see it.
    I hear you Diamond Joe. Royal Oud is in my top-5 of my collection. Love the stuff.
    Currently wearing: Voyage by Nautica

  7. #7
    Sound Scents
    drseid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northern VA/DC Area
    Posts
    12,039

    Default Re: Oud Rouge Intense vs Royal Oud

    Both are very good, but quite dissimilar.

    Royal Oud really is not an Oud composition at all, and any that is in it is near assuredly fake. Still, while it may not succeed as an Oud focused composition, it absolutely succeeds as a very pleasant spicy-woody. I am not much of a Creed fan, but surely like and appreciate this one.

    Oud Rouge Intense has real Oud in it and really is going after a different audience,,,

    I would say they both impress equally, but very differently.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

    5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

    6)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie


  8. #8

    Default Re: Oud Rouge Intense vs Royal Oud

    Well, I finally got my hands on a sample of Oud Rouge Intense, to see what all the hubub is about, and see if it could unseat my #1 most worn, all-time favorite fragrance, Royal Oud..

    I am quite relieved to find out, that it will NOT unseat Royal Oud for me. Oud Rouge Intense is a very nice frag, and yes I do see the similarities with Royal Oud. They smell very very similar, peppery, woody, a little bit herbal. BUT there is one thing in Oud Rouge Intense that makes it different than Royal Oud - patchouli. I could see how someone would actually enjoy the addition of patchouli to the composition (the oud is better too) because it adds to the richness, but I despise patchouli, its one of my least favorite notes in perfumery.

    So while I do like Oud Rouge Intense (a lot) and it DOES smell very very similar to Royal Oud (maybe even a touch more natural), the addition of patchouli - which for some might make the composition better - for me is a negative. Also, the projection of Oud Rouge Intense is slightly worse than Royal Oud (although it is very long lasting).

    Very very nice fragrance, but for me, not worth selling a kidney to get a bottle, when I would probably reach past it to my beloved Royal Oud most of the time.
    Currently wearing: Oud Malaki by Chopard

  9. #9

    Default Re: Oud Rouge Intense vs Royal Oud

    Personally the oud is more obvious in Oud Rouge Intense than RO. Additionally the pink pepper is dialed much higher than in Royal Oud. I find the quality of Oud Rouge Intense superior to Creed but I prefer the scent of Royal Oud more in this case just because of the OD pink pepper in the opening of Oud Rouge Intense.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Oud Rouge Intense vs Royal Oud

    I find Oud Rouge Intense to be a more intense version of Royal Oud, a more pronounced cedar note to my nose. I personally prefer the FDB to Creed here, regardless of price.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Oud Rouge Intense vs Royal Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by dysect View Post
    Personally the oud is more obvious in Oud Rouge Intense than RO. Additionally the pink pepper is dialed much higher than in Royal Oud. I find the quality of Oud Rouge Intense superior to Creed but I prefer the scent of Royal Oud more in this case just because of the OD pink pepper in the opening of Oud Rouge Intense.
    Definitely agree that the oud is more obvious but thats not hard to do considering most people detect NO oud in Royal Oud. I also agree that the opening of Oud Rouge is a bit less pleasing, the pepper is sharper. The quality of both is objectively high, as it should be when talking about $300 fragrances.

    The drydown of both are sublime, and like I said, I could see how one could make an argument for Oud Rouge being better due to the richness the patchouli adds to the composition, but I prefer the gorgeous simplicity of Royal Oud's drydown.
    Currently wearing: Oud Malaki by Chopard

  12. #12

    Default Re: Oud Rouge Intense vs Royal Oud

    So after a full day of wearing - damn these are similar. SO similar that they are hard to tell apart.

    Its pretty obvious why, the note breakdown is so so similar. On Fragrantica, the "main" note for both: Cedar. The 2nd "main" note for both: Pink Pepper. 3rd main note for both: Sandalwood. 4th note for both: Oud. So the majority of their compositions are very very similar. Where they diverge a tiny tiny bit: the 5th "main" note. Royal Oud uses Angelica and Galbanum, Oud Rouge uses Patchouli. Green, earthy, woody - its such minor differences here as to almost be splitting hairs. After their respective "green" notes, they both have citrus. HOWEVER, after that, there is one more note that Royal Oud contains that Oud Rouge does not. On top of my preference for Angelica and Galbanum instead of Patchouli, the inclusion of this final note is what pushes Royal Oud across the finish line first for me. Tonkin musk. Just that little bit of high quality musk buried deep in the drydown, is I think what gives Royal Oud the edge for me.

    I definitely think it would be redundant to own both Oud Rouge Intense and Royal Oud since they smell so so similar. At the end of the day, I prefer the green note used by RO, and the inclusion of a tiny bit of musk in the base noses it ahead. I also think that RO's performance is a bit better. Both have decent longevity, but RO has a little bit more projection. Considering the price tags - its clear that Royal Oud is the winner for me but I could definitely understand any arguments to the contrary. Both are sensational fragrances.
    Currently wearing: Oud Malaki by Chopard

  13. #13

    Default Re: Oud Rouge Intense vs Royal Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    So after a full day of wearing - damn these are similar. SO similar that they are hard to tell apart.

    Its pretty obvious why, the note breakdown is so so similar. On Fragrantica, the "main" note for both: Cedar. The 2nd "main" note for both: Pink Pepper. 3rd main note for both: Sandalwood. 4th note for both: Oud. So the majority of their compositions are very very similar. Where they diverge a tiny tiny bit: the 5th "main" note. Royal Oud uses Angelica and Galbanum, Oud Rouge uses Patchouli. Green, earthy, woody - its such minor differences here as to almost be splitting hairs. After their respective "green" notes, they both have citrus. HOWEVER, after that, there is one more note that Royal Oud contains that Oud Rouge does not. On top of my preference for Angelica and Galbanum instead of Patchouli, the inclusion of this final note is what pushes Royal Oud across the finish line first for me. Tonkin musk. Just that little bit of high quality musk buried deep in the drydown, is I think what gives Royal Oud the edge for me.

    I definitely think it would be redundant to own both Oud Rouge Intense and Royal Oud since they smell so so similar. At the end of the day, I prefer the green note used by RO, and the inclusion of a tiny bit of musk in the base noses it ahead. I also think that RO's performance is a bit better. Both have decent longevity, but RO has a little bit more projection. Considering the price tags - its clear that Royal Oud is the winner for me but I could definitely understand any arguments to the contrary. Both are sensational fragrances.
    Great breakdown. And, yeah, the Tonkin musk is the icing on the cake in RO's incredible dry down. It complements the sandalwood so damn well...
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

  14. #14

    Default Re: Oud Rouge Intense vs Royal Oud

    Hmm... I had no clue of these being that similar. Will definitely check it out.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

  15. #15

    Default Re: Oud Rouge Intense vs Royal Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    So after a full day of wearing - damn these are similar. SO similar that they are hard to tell apart.

    Its pretty obvious why, the note breakdown is so so similar. On Fragrantica, the "main" note for both: Cedar. The 2nd "main" note for both: Pink Pepper. 3rd main note for both: Sandalwood. 4th note for both: Oud. So the majority of their compositions are very very similar. Where they diverge a tiny tiny bit: the 5th "main" note. Royal Oud uses Angelica and Galbanum, Oud Rouge uses Patchouli. Green, earthy, woody - its such minor differences here as to almost be splitting hairs. After their respective "green" notes, they both have citrus. HOWEVER, after that, there is one more note that Royal Oud contains that Oud Rouge does not. On top of my preference for Angelica and Galbanum instead of Patchouli, the inclusion of this final note is what pushes Royal Oud across the finish line first for me. Tonkin musk. Just that little bit of high quality musk buried deep in the drydown, is I think what gives Royal Oud the edge for me.

    I definitely think it would be redundant to own both Oud Rouge Intense and Royal Oud since they smell so so similar. At the end of the day, I prefer the green note used by RO, and the inclusion of a tiny bit of musk in the base noses it ahead. I also think that RO's performance is a bit better. Both have decent longevity, but RO has a little bit more projection. Considering the price tags - its clear that Royal Oud is the winner for me but I could definitely understand any arguments to the contrary. Both are sensational fragrances.
    Out of curiosity you were test driving both on skin?

  16. #16
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    45,151

    Default Re: Oud Rouge Intense vs Royal Oud

    Royal Oud
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26148387.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26148387-7393.jpg"> Carven L'Eau Intense by Carven</a></div>

  17. #17

    Default Re: Oud Rouge Intense vs Royal Oud

    Quote Originally Posted by dysect View Post
    Out of curiosity you were test driving both on skin?
    On skin, yes.
    Currently wearing: Oud Malaki by Chopard




Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 28th February 2018, 04:35 PM
  2. Prinesse Marina De Bourbon Rouge Royal.
    By silentrich in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 26th April 2015, 12:06 AM
  3. Rouge Royal for men....
    By scentimus in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 28th October 2005, 12:58 AM
  4. Habit Rouge & Royal Water
    By shifts in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 21st October 2005, 08:01 PM
  5. Marina de Bourbon Rouge Royal
    By francois in forum No longer missing fragrances
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26th September 2005, 01:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000