Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Creed sold - call me paranoid but...

Seems like the timing wasn't great for BlackRock closing the deal just before the lock downs. Since then, Neiman Marcus has filed for bankruptcy, Nordstrom has consolidated, and every retailer is struggling. People who used to buy luxury brands like Creed as an occasional splurge have been dealing with lost income from furloughs, layoffs, and pay cuts. I suspect people will be more likely to want bigger emergency savings in the future which will further reduce demand for luxury goods. BlackRock will likely do what investment companies due--cut the overhead and manufacturing costs so they can resell the business to someone else who wants to run it long-term. I agree with others that we'll start to see "Creed Light" versions at Sephora. It'd be no different than sub-brands like Kenneth Cole Reaction, or Perry Ellis and Ralph Lauren outlet stores that sell a mix of last year styles and lower quality product designed to only be sold in the outlets. If I bought Creed and wanted the biggest possible return on investment, that's what I'd do.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

That’s possible but average joe isn’t buying Creed or aware of it their consumer base is the wealthy and a lot of people buy direct from Creed or other places. Not coming off rude but the mentality that Creed is so popular among the masses is imo over exaggerated just like everyone wearing Creed is. I think all will be fine for BlackRock and Creed business will still remain solid.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

I suspect it’s in between. Creed’s customer base is primarily those least affected by the shutdowns, but Black Rock was likely hoping to expand that base downward. That hope is on hold indefinitely.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    That’s possible but average joe isn’t buying Creed or aware of it their consumer base is the wealthy and a lot of people buy direct from Creed or other places. Not coming off rude but the mentality that Creed is so popular among the masses is imo over exaggerated just like everyone wearing Creed is. I think all will be fine for BlackRock and Creed business will still remain solid.
    Definitely.

You don't deliberately cheapen an exclusive brand to that extent even if you're after short term profit. They are well placed in the market to continue doing exactly what they are...just...'better'.

I highly doubt we'll see a Creed signature line in the next decade. As mentioned elsewhere, Creed Cologne and Viking are a nod to where they're looking in the future. Mass appeal, but really not that different to what's gone before. If they can attract more non-enthusiast customers who are happy to pay full price for Tom Ford, Le Labo, MFK etc then that's what they'll do. They're not going to start going after the Dior Sauvage wearers. The enthusiasts who can't truly afford Creed nor 'need' to buy Creed considering their lifestyle, but buy them anyway, are going to continue helping profits by word of mouth on the internet. They're like the black sheep of the Creed brand - they're happy to take their money but by no means do they want Al from Street Scents to become their model customer. Harsh? Yes. But also true. Talk of 'Creed Lite' sounds extremely naive, but who knows, I might be wrong. I just can't see them ravaging the brand like that. I'd expect more (and more, and more) fragrances akin to what other boutique brands are doing, until they get up to one big release per year.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Basenotes Junkie

"their consumer base is the wealthy"-YES, I HAVE ARRIVED, I AM GORDON GECKO!!!!

......curious if you're available to do my taxes next year?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ The Terrible View Post
    "their consumer base is the wealthy"-YES, I HAVE ARRIVED, I AM GORDON GECKO!!!!

......curious if you're available to do my taxes next year?
    Lol what, nothing was meant by my post other than the idea the brand would go down hill because big box stores are not providing the general public Creed products is not likely. Only the fragrance community is aware of Creed and those that desire luxury items, it is said often otherwise but I don’t see it. In some areas maybe due to tourism or big cities but Creed still is pretty unknown to a lot of people.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Plus

I have to agree in that I think Creed won't be affected too much by the current state of affairs because the market is relatively small and constant for them. As speckmann0706 said, Creed is still unknown to a lot of people and as someone who works in the nightlife industry I can confirm this. I am yet to encounter anyone else wearing aventus outside of myself in a nightclub setting, both in global cities and local UK towns, and have only encountered a handful of people wearing GIT, perhaps 3 if my memory serves me correctly.

would it be a good idea to stock up on creed right now? I have pretty much everything i want sans sublime vanille and pure white cologne, thinking of getting royal mayfair which is very cheap

Last edited by Robert G.; 19th July 2020 at 05:07 PM.

Fragrancenet has Bois du Portugal 500ml for about $300. Liquidation...idk but good price.

Basenotes Junkie

Lol what, nothing was meant by my post other than the idea the brand would go down hill because big box stores are not providing the general public Creed products is not likely. Only the fragrance community is aware of Creed and those that desire luxury items, it is said often otherwise but I don’t see it. In some areas maybe due to tourism or big cities but Creed still is pretty unknown to a lot of people.
    I know, I know, I couldn't help myself. I figured with my five different bottles of Creed that would at least put in the ultra-wealthy category so I figured I'd take advantage of my newly discovered status.

I remember the first year I made 60k in the early 90's, I was on top of the world and had a nice assortment of fragrances. Now I hope 60k is all they take just out of my paycheck for a year..........so I can still afford a nice assortment of fragrances.

I agree with your assessment that Creed is mostly known by aficionados. I bought my first bottle of Creed my senior year in high school in 1986. Green Irish Tweed. I didn't know Creed made any other fragrances until I seen an advert in Nordstroms for Aventus in 2010. Thats when I discovered they had other fragrances.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JJ The Terrible View Post
    I know, I know, I couldn't help myself. I figured with my five different bottles of Creed that would at least put in the ultra-wealthy category so I figured I'd take advantage of my newly discovered status.

I remember the first year I made 60k in the early 90's, I was on top of the world and had a nice assortment of fragrances. Now I hope 60k is all they take just out of my paycheck for a year..........so I can still afford a nice assortment of fragrances.

I agree with your assessment that Creed is mostly known by aficionados. I bought my first bottle of Creed my senior year in high school in 1986. Green Irish Tweed. I didn't know Creed made any other fragrances until I seen an advert in Nordstroms for Aventus in 2010. Thats when I discovered they had other fragrances.
    The reason Creed seems to make so many upscale designer-adjacents these days (Original Vetiver to Mugler Cologne, Windsor/Royal Mayfair to Burberry Brit for Men, etc) is because following the success of Green Irish Tweed (co-composed with Pierre Bourdon), the brand saw there was more money in upscale mass-appeal masculines than recreations of historical period perfumes (like the former EdT range).

Nowadays the tables have turned and people copy them, so the burden to make things universally likeable enough to cause such trickle-down inspiration but also "luxury" enough to find appeal among the elite they've traditionally served is so much that the Creed family probably needed outside investment and marketing research muscle.

BlackRock will likely provide that muscle so Creed can offset the release of it's more-exclusive lines (like the Aquas or Royal Exclusifs) or surviving flacon-only older scents by having a periodical "banger" all the people below their usual market range will flock to. Aka a "cheeseburger" they can sell 10 to 1 over their other stuff to pad the coffers so they can still be "niche" in other areas.

Aventus has been that Cheeseburger (GIT, SMW, and Himalaya before it), but it was a happy accident that it got so big, and one they can't repeat, so I think this sale is less about gutting old fragrance lines or moving downmarket, and more about having the R&D muscle only corporate dollars can bring to ensure they always have an "Aventus" to bank on.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Coming soon to a Sephora near you: Blue Irish Tweed and Aventus Sport.

Change on the Creed website: From father to son to venture capitalists.

These venture vultures only want two things -- lower costs and higher profits -- and they are ruthless in achieving those goals. Expect fragrances that underperform in sales to be discontinued no matter their artistic merit.

Quote Originally Posted by MysteryBuff40 View Post
    From father to son to venture capitalists.
    Currently wearing: Ébène by Pierre Balmain

Exactly
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And the Creed origin story will soon tell us about the venture capitalists dating back to the days of Caligula.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Rose 31
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Amouage Silver Man
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer
    Currently wearing: Silver Cologne by Amouage

Coming soon to a Sephora near you: Blue Irish Tweed and Aventus Sport.

These venture vultures only want two things -- lower costs and higher profits -- and they are ruthless in achieving those goals. Expect fragrances that underperform in sales to be discontinued no matter their artistic merit.
    VCs cannot buy something that is not on sale... so I reasonably think that the Creed family is the cculprit to blame for having agreed to sell their family jewels, just based on greed, don't you think?

Blog Entries

Creed has gone too mass market to not discontinue individual scents that do not sell much. Creed has gone too “corporate” to not evaluate every scent based on what kind of investment/effort they would need to make, to re-tweak a scent that adheres to ever-changing regulatory environment, especially in Europe. Every tom, dick and harry can throw a dozen ingredients together and say they created a scent. It takes real expertise, research, and costly relationships with chemistry outlets to re-create an existing scent from the changed toolset. Unlike the conventional wisdom on here that all companies make a killing by having out 20 cents worth of ingredients in a bottle and selling it to them for $200, I believe going mass market itself has enormous cost structures that cannot be overcome by “cost cutting” on “cheapening/diluting” the end product. Mass market retail is a thankless and tremendously low margin business, with lots of risks the bigger your operation(s) get. You either need to get the “economies of scale” froth under control ala the Puigs or Bogarts of the world, or you have to keep on shooting from the hip instead of spending too much on developing “economies of scale” and “sustainability” efforts ala Tom Ford and a dime a dozen envouge artisanal brands. I believe most brands that have gotten too big would have to go shooting from the hip route, and most already have their best days behind them.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    And the Creed origin story will soon tell us about the venture capitalists dating back to the days of Caligula.
    You don't want to go there. That's very dangerous water...

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    Creed has gone too mass market to not discontinue individual scents that do not sell much. Creed has gone too “corporate” to not evaluate every scent based on what kind of investment/effort they would need to make, to re-tweak a scent that adheres to ever-changing regulatory environment, especially in Europe. Every tom, dick and harry can throw a dozen ingredients together and say they created a scent. It takes real expertise, research, and costly relationships with chemistry outlets to re-create an existing scent from the changed toolset. Unlike the conventional wisdom on here that all companies make a killing by having out 20 cents worth of ingredients in a bottle and selling it to them for $200, I believe going mass market itself has enormous cost structures that cannot be overcome by “cost cutting” on “cheapening/diluting” the end product. Mass market retail is a thankless and tremendously low margin business, with lots of risks the bigger your operation(s) get. You either need to get the “economies of scale” froth under control ala the Puigs or Bogarts of the world, or you have to keep on shooting from the hip instead of spending too much on developing “economies of scale” and “sustainability” efforts ala Tom Ford and a dime a dozen envouge artisanal brands. I believe most brands that have gotten too big would have to go shooting from the hip route, and most already have their best days behind them.
    Well said. There's too many uninformed comments that show a misunderstanding of the realities of business.

Original Santal is a far more egregious fragrance than Viking, or the Cologne flankers, which are actually a nice idea and make for a good 'one-two' wardrobe if you love the original (at least for Aventus, I haven't tried the Viking Cologne). OS came out when basenotes was a mere 5 years old.

Hedge funds have been buying up everything in the last few years. From sporting competitions, to media empires, to farmland, to charities. Welcome to the new age. The idea that Creed are uniquely impacted by this, or that selling will dramatically change the business in the space of a year or two, is silly. They've been discontinuing their 'heritage' fragrances for years, with the lovely notion of 'vaulting' them. Those who had the foresight to buy their favourite Creed fragrances when they had the chance took heed of what was coming. It's nothing new, it's the reality of commercial survival. Adapt or die. We're living in the era of applied social Darwinism, with competition inserted in to every facet of the old civilisation, running the new global society on market forces rather than ideology. Complaining about this and asking for stasis, or even reversion, is fantasy thinking.

Most Creed fragrances aren't particularly interesting anyway. They're pleasant, somewhat gentlemanly, and an enjoyable demonstration of European sensibilities. But most of their discontinued scents would have catered to men who are now dead or retired - wealthy men born in the 1930s and 40s. Neroli Sauvage is great but for the money? The difference isn't great enough from any of the numerous light citrus scents currently available. Creed's survival relies on their superiority, to keep attracting the affluent and the aspirational. It does not rely on prioritising a client who is well in to retirement.

Perhaps the real complaint is to do with missing what Creed had done in the previous few decades, rather than what they have done in the last 2-3 years? Then again, how many people complaining about Creed now would even have encountered them without the mass market approach?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Definitely.
    You don't deliberately cheapen an exclusive brand to that extent even if you're after short term profit. They are well placed in the market to continue doing exactly what they are...just...'better'.
    I seriously doubt the profit aspect has been the reason for going mass market for a lot of the high-end designers. If Creed comes up with a separate line that competes in the lower priced mass market, then profit will not be the target. I believe Creeds problems are exactly that- that they went (relatively) too big for some expert operations in complex large manufacturing don't find an opportunity to make money by fixing those processes. Some could think the Christian Dior, YSL, Chanel, or even Jean Patou of the world were after capturing more profit abilities when they went mass market. But that thinking has to be challenged by the fact that none of these designers went mass market with any other areas of their business. These are old established designers. What to say of the Bvlgaris and Van Cleefs of the world? Who in their right mind actually believes Bvlgari found it a very lucrative idea to release $70 retail fragrances that are outsourced and flooded in the mass market for under $20? The idea for designers, has always been to use fragrances as a marketing strategy where more people know of their name without them consistently spending huge amounts of money on marketing to the affluent, and hope enough would consider their REAL business when their pocket allows. Sure, a very few might have made a buck or two along the way(like Chanel), but to consider highly exclusive businesses get into the mass market fragrance arena because we're gonna turn them into a Jeff Bezos by dishing out $20 in grey market is insane, in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Well said. There's too many uninformed comments that show a misunderstanding of the realities of business.
    True true. It's easy to sit in the sidelines and claim greed when one has no idea how the real world works. lol There are lots of moving parts in business.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Pound for pound (or euro for euro) I think Creed are as good a value for money as their is.

There is not a “bad” scent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk