Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Creed sold - call me paranoid but...

...I have backed up my BOIS DU PORTUGAL.

I tend to think it sells better than might be expected but as a nutty Basenoter I'm not going to chance it.
    It's the only scent they that would make me nuts if vaulted. If I recall, Zealot Crusader thinks it may sell well just because crazy coots like me keep snaring backups "just in case."

I regret not pouncing on VETIVER '48 when it was slipping away, but have a decent stash of that left.
    BdP , VETIVER '48 and BAIE DE GENIEVRE are three I really like and thoroughly enjoy.

I have a small amount of VINTAGE TABAROME but vaunted though it is, not filled with regret I didn't hoard some.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Creed sold - call me paranoid but...

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Congrats!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I hear ya, anything is possible but having backups of your favorites are never a bad thing. I hope that Creed quality remains solid for many more years, a lot of nice fragrances would suffer otherwise time will tell enjoy your backups!
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3ème Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Cartier Pasha De Cartier Parfum

This may end up being a good thing for Creed....especially if newer and better smelling fragrances are released for the house.

Quote Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
    This may end up being a good thing for Creed....especially if newer and better smelling fragrances are released for the house.
    Perhaps...I'm not optimistic on this one.

I think they will want Creed to have wider distribution. i.e. More availability in lower priced department stores. (And also note the high end stores are taking a beating- Barneys NY and Nieman Marcus both pretty much toast).

Arguably, Creed could lower prices and not compromise their scents but that is not likely to happen in my view.
    My guess is they will retain some of their high end stuff that they have now, but develop more "entry level" scents with lower prices.
    "Aventus Sport?"

Although they do have a current business model that would seem me to be working- none of us really know how well they are doing.

Certainly Aventus was a huge score.

We''ll all have a front row seat for whatever happens.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

You could be called paranoid but you would also be called just another standard basenoter.
    Seriously, though, it's probably not a bad idea, IMO. If you have the means. Maybe nothing will happen to them. If the discontinuation news hits there will be a little bit of time to get what you need though.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

If I recall, Zealot Crusader thinks it may sell well just because crazy coots like me keep snaring backups "just in case."
    I don't recall saying that, or at least not intending that meaning, but I do remember saying it likely still sells to all the guys who used to buy it in gray cap form, so it's become the "Héritage/Chanel pM Concentrée" of Creed's lineup, aka the GenX favorite flavor alongside Green Irish Tweed.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader
    Currently wearing: Reveal Men by Calvin Klein

I tend to think it sells better than might be expected but as a nutty Basenoter I'm not going to chance it.
    It's the only scent they that would make me nuts if vaulted. If I recall, Zealot Crusader thinks it may sell well just because crazy coots like me keep snaring backups "just in case."

I regret not pouncing on VETIVER '48 when it was slipping away, but have a decent stash of that left.
    BdP , VETIVER '48 and BAIE DE GENIEVRE are three I really like and thoroughly enjoy.

I have a small amount of VINTAGE TABAROME but vaunted though it is, not filled with regret I didn't hoard some.
    I had to turn away Bois Du Portugal to avoid another Creed that I'd be tempted to hoard. It's a great classic particularly the bottles that don't have those green labels. Instead I focused my attention on the daily wears like Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial and Virgin Island Water.

I took advantage of the sales of Mudassir and jazznpool when they divested off their massive Creed collections, you probably know these individuals way back in the day.
    Among the classics Vintage Tabarome, Angelique Encens, Scent of Oger, Aubepine Acacia, and Verveine Narcisse are amongst my favorites from the Private Collection & limited edition release. I also own Windsor, Bois de Santal, and Bayrhum Vetiver but these I don't enjoy as much.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I hear ya, anything is possible but having backups of your favorites are never a bad thing. I hope that Creed quality remains solid for many more years, a lot of nice fragrances would suffer otherwise time will tell enjoy your backups!

I have to disagree, the quality for much of the millesime line has diminished over the last 10 years. Now would be the time to stock up on backups.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

No matter which actual changes happened to Creed or even if there would be no change whatsoever, still considering Creed BDP as one of the fragrances worth backing up

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I don't recall saying that, or at least not intending that meaning, but I do remember saying it likely still sells to all the guys who used to buy it in gray cap form, so it's become the "Héritage/Chanel pM Concentrée" of Creed's lineup, aka the GenX favorite flavor alongside Green Irish Tweed.
    Hmmm, will be tough to find it- some sort of thread about which were best selling Creeds.. That is NOT exactly what you said (you certainly didn't assail old coots), but you did infer that perhaps Bois du Portugal sold better than we might all expect because a hard core fan base vigilantly kept buying it.

Maybe Aventus will be the only Creed left in time --- like a black hole

Dependent

Better to be safe...

Basenotes Plus

I’m with StylinLA on this. BdP’s days are numbered. AFAIK very few guys under 40 yrs old swear by it. Quite a number even call the scent ‘old man-nish’. Blackrock will see this reflected in declining sales figures. Guess what they’ll do next?

Years down the road you’ll probably be glad you bought this backup but a little sad you didn’t get more when you still could. It’s not exactly cheap but hey, you can always make more money.

Basenotes Plus

As have I. I sprung $300 for a 4oz flask version that dates to 2015 or 2014 (can't remember off hand, will check again later). I bought several other Creeds too as backup. Veterver Geranium (if you haven't tried this, you should), Royal Water, Royal Mayfair). I barely use Aventus, so I didn't back that up. I am on the fence about backing up Original Vetiver.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I had to turn away Bois Du Portugal to avoid another Creed that I'd be tempted to hoard. It's a great classic particularly the bottles that don't have those green labels. Instead I focused my attention on the daily wears like Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial and Virgin Island Water.

I took advantage of the sales of Mudassir and jazznpool when they divested off their massive Creed collections, you probably know these individuals way back in the day.
    Among the classics Vintage Tabarome, Angelique Encens, Scent of Oger, Aubepine Acacia, and Verveine Narcisse are amongst my favorites from the Private Collection & limited edition release. I also own Windsor, Bois de Santal, and Bayrhum Vetiver but these I don't enjoy as much.
    I'm envious of that classic vaulted Creed collection you have. I would love to find some of these. If you ever run across someone selling a Scent of Ogre let me know. I might also be interested some others. I have never smelled Bayrhum Vetiver, Bois de Santal, Aubepine Acacia, Angelique Encens or Verveine Narcisse. I've smelled Tabarome, but not the vintage.

Dependent

If they purchased Creed with the purpose of profit, they'll most likely increase production and mass market it, which could potentially bring prices down. Time will tell.
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    If they purchased Creed with the purpose of profit, they'll most likely increase production and mass market it, which could potentially bring prices down. Time will tell.
    Time will tell how quality is impacted as well, if at all.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Time will tell how quality is impacted as well, if at all.
    Right. I've heard someone say that Creed said they had problems sourcing ingredients for their perfumes from season to season making it very hard to provide enough product to meet demand at the quality standards. It's seems possible that if the new owners manage to push out more product at cheaper prices, then we are going to see massive reformulations into virtually all synthetics with little to no naturals.

Just sad that the lineage from Father to Son has ended.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    While some of their actual history with perfume is dubious, they most certainly have certainly put out a lot of great scents and were indeed a family business. It is kind of bummer to see this change.

Almost irrelevant but if you like Bois du Portugal, get your nose on Noir Epices and maybe NY Intense, before getting back ups. They can share the burden of classic masculine magnificence with BdP so perfectly whilst offering more diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    Almost irrelevant but if you like Bois du Portugal, get your nose on Noir Epices and maybe NY Intense, before getting back ups. They can share the burden of classic masculine magnificence with BdP so perfectly whilst offering more diversity.
    I have and love NY INTENSE...but don't see it as all that similar to BdP myself...a great scent though.

Had and sold NOIR EPICES and don't see any similarity there. It was like super strong spicy spicy soap to me. I can see where some would love it, but not for me.

...I have backed up my BOIS DU PORTUGAL..
    I did as well right on the cusp of the USA lockdown.
    I was sent a 120ml 2013 bottle with the old sprayer, fragrancenet used, $60.
    *stashed*
    My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    I was sent a 120ml 2013 bottle with the old sprayer, fragrancenet used, $60
    Damn! A typo was involved somewhere in that transaction!
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

I don't think things will change that much, but I can see them adding a more budget friendly line like Tom Ford has done, and sell those in places like Sephora.
    Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book, just turn the page.

"It smells really good, it's not Aventus though."

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Beast View Post
    Damn! A typo was involved somewhere in that transaction!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Creed-Bois-...53.m2749.l2649
    My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

I have and love NY INTENSE...but don't see it as all that similar to BdP myself...a great scent though.

Had and sold NOIR EPICES and don't see any similarity there. It was like super strong spicy spicy soap to me. I can see where some would love it, but not for me.
    Of course they're not identical, just in the same bracket/group. But it's interesting that you find them not at all similar, Noir Epices is an amazing journey for me the captivating beauty starts at 2 hour mark. (have heard bad things about the post-matte cap reformulations of it though)

Dependent

How is this possible?