Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Red Amber aroma chem - IFF, Givaudan, Symrise.

So after a few failed attempts of creating my own ‘Red amber accord’ (benzoin, laudanum, vanillan, musks)...something just doesn’t sit right with me with how they always turn out. So I’m on the hunt for a single aroma chemical either by IFF, Givaudan, Symrise, etc that can replicate this scent of “red amber”.

I’ve tried a few house made accords from perfumers apprentice and creatingperfumes ....but they either smell too powdery/musky or too balsamic and harsh.

So I’m for sure not looking for an Ambergris note, nor any sort of Ambroxan note, nor the typical woody/amber combo ...but I’m looking for the classic oriental warm, sweet, resinous red amber note.

Does anyone have ideas of any houses that create an aroma chem that covers this scent profile with out it being to “woody combo”? I keep looking around and so far I keep coming back to Ambermax (Givaudan) based in its description...but without smelling it I don’t want to blind buy it.

Anyone have suggestions ideas?
    ...bathing in perfumes...
    ► Follow my perfumery journey on Youtube

Default Re: Red Amber aroma chem - IFF, Givaudan, Symrise.

I am not sure what you mean by "red" amber accord. It is the first time I am hearing the word used along with amber. But based on your description I am assuming you are referring to just the standard classical amber accord. If that is the case, first off check off this nice accord Julian listed a while back. You can also read that entire thread, it should give you a pretty good idea about amber perfumes in general.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/423...=1#post3946880

I remember making it a long time ago and it turned out to be a pretty nice accord. Although now a days I tend to make amber accords based on the the concept I am working on rather than use a standard amber.

If you are looking for a premade base then you might want to check out Symrise's Ambre 83 although it is a little too musky for my tastes. As far as I know there is no single aroma chemical that can mimic the complexity of a traditional amber accord.

If you want a cleaner amber note, you might want to check out Ambranum (Firmenich). If i remember right it is coextraction of Labdanum and Frankincense (Although do not quote me on that, I cannot find a reference to that now.). It is a nice ambery note with hints of vanilla and resinous amber without the musk note you find in Ambre 83. Ambranum is a lovely material but sits a little too quietly for my tastes.

I think Julian's accord is a good starting point. If you do not want the musk, remove it and replace it with Ambroxan or Fixateur

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by needaname View Post
    I remember making it a long time ago and it turned out to be a pretty nice accord. Although now a days I tend to make amber accords based on the the concept I am working on rather than use a standard amber.
    This formula, I have it bottled under Julian's Amber, was the reason I started reading DIY at all. It was posted quite in the same time I made my first ludicrous blends. I didn't give up largely because of the idea of starting an amber perfume with a suitable amber accord. The idea that can be extended to virtually every perfume ever blended. True enlightenment. All thanks to julian35!

For convenience here's Julian's accord mentioned above by needaname:

Labdanum Res. - 10.00%
    Vanillin - 5.00%
    Benzoin Siam - 30.00%
    Styrax - 5.00%
    Cinnamic Alc. - 2.00%
    Peru Balsam - 25.00%
    Patchouli - 5.00%
    Musk T (Ethylene brassylate) - 15.00%
    Muscenone - 3.00%

TOTAL 100.00%

FWIW, I have reordered the ingredients so that IMO the materials descend from vital to the amber accord, to being there to improve the smell when evaluated on its own, but not necessarily needed for an amber base intended for using within other formulas.

The accord was originally produced as part of a fun contest to produce amber-themed fragrance smelling great in its own right, so it has IMO some ingredients that are towards the purpose of the accord smelling great by itself. Which it does.

Julian won that contest with this, by the way.

I also don't know what red amber is. Maybe an amber with resinous qualities?

Btw to me the term "amber" unfortunately covers four quite different things, which makes it perhaps the least precise yet standard term in perfumery:

1) The classic accord which starts from labdanum plus vanilla, of which Julian's accord is an example.
    2) Ambergris or ambergris-type materials which have a smell and effect like ambergris components, e.g. Ambroxan, which are not like above and also often are not felt to be really "amber-y."
    3) The modern "superambers" such as Ambermax which are extremely powerful and to me not at all in the same olfactory category as #1, but are perhaps the most prevalent meaning of "amber" among perfume reviewers, etc. for some time now.
    4) Actual fossilized amber product, of which the only one I know is the Eden Botanicals Fossilized Amber, also entirely different.

I think you could not go wrong making first a base with the first say 5 ingredients of Julian's accord, and getting Ambranum, and seeing what blend of these, or either single one, gets you well towards what you want. Or trying versions of Julian's accord substituting some larger amount of Ambranum for some or all of the labdanum.

Since you say definitely not Ambroxan type note, while the "superambers" -- a made-up term -- are not the same, it doesn't sound to me that's what you need. But hard to say, you might assign the color red to the difference while I do not.

You also might consider, as the natural products are horribly priced now, Paul's Vanilla Base at PSH, as given what you are looking for vanilla or including it may work better for you than using only vanillin. You could also look at some Oriental formulas to get ideas for ingredients that aren't amber per se but might move an amber towards where you want it. E.g. opopanax perhaps.
    Last edited by Bill Roberts; 6th May 2020 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks for the tips fellas! I'm gonna give Julians Accord a try (but exclude the patchulli and musks), for i haven't used Styrax or Peru Balsam before in my amber blends....so i just placed an order for those. Who knows, maybe thats the magic missing key that my nose keeps missing out on when i keep trying to make an amber accord.

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Bkkorn View Post
    So after a few failed attempts of creating my own ‘Red amber accord’ (benzoin, laudanum, vanillan, musks)...something just doesn’t sit right with me with how they always turn out.
    No wonder, laudanum was the preferred means of suicide in the 19th century.

Sorry to say but I've never really smelled an amber material before that reminded me of "red amber".

I think I know what sort of smell you mean, but just can't recommend anything.

That being said, perhaps add a tiny hint of Beta-caryophyllene for a dry pepperwood?

Ambersage might be one to do some research into, but I think even that would only give you a small part of the red amber feel, and might not really be an exact fit.

I do think using more Cedramber might be a better fit for trying to make a Red Amber, but Cedramber by itself does not smell like Red Amber.

Perhaps tiny hints of clove, pine tar and quinoline? I don't know.

Maybe a musk that is slightly fruity in a red sort of way, like Romandolide, Ambrettolide, maybe even some Cashmeran?
    Have you smelled Macrolide (Exaltolide)? It's supposed to support red notes but might be just a bit too berry fruity.

Alpha-methyl cinnamyl alcohol might be useful as a supporting note. Maybe add a hint of myrcene to that.

Yeah, sorry for the confusion for everyone not knowing what "red amber" means. Its something i describe it as, even though its not really a known term in perfumery.

While Amber in itself is a fantasy accord and totally up to interpretation, i feel all amber types share a commonality... yet come in many shades of color (when you smell them you can visually sense a color in your mind)

White Amber - ambergris, animalistic
    Blue Amber - ambroxan
    Brown Amber - Resinous, woody, earthy
    Yellow Amber - Resinous, sweet, honeyed
    Red Amber - Resinous, warm, sensual, sweet (Classic Oriental - Benzoin, labdanum, vanilla smell)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ivor Joedy View Post
    No wonder, laudanum was the preferred means of suicide in the 19th century.
    Laudanum and Labdanum are far far far from the same thing.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Laudanum and Labdanum are far far far from the same thing.
    He's perfectly aware of that.

This certainly wouldn't be the first time on Basenotes people have mistaken those two.

always to comic effect

White Amber - ambergris, animalistic
    Blue Amber - ambroxan
    Brown Amber - Resinous, woody, earthy
    Yellow Amber - Resinous, sweet, honeyed
    Red Amber - Resinous, warm, sensual, sweet (Classic Oriental - Benzoin, labdanum, vanilla smell)
    It follows then I think that opopanax, Ambranum, and/or a balsam could be quite likely to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    Ambranum, and/or a balsam could be quite likely to help.
    Ambranum....now thats what im looking for! thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by parker25mv View Post
    This certainly wouldn't be the first time on Basenotes people have mistaken those two. always to comic effect
    Oh yes, I see ...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/429...light=laudanum

Coincidentally when looking for my e-mail drafts for something else entirely, I found these, which conceivably could be relevant:

Fixateur Ambrone (W. Poucher) Amber base

Labdanum resinoid 100
    Benzoe Siam resinoid 100
    Heliotropine 90
    Coumarine 70
    Musk ketone 40
    EO Patchouli 30
    Tincture of castoreum 3% 30
    EO Vetiver 10

Solid Amber:
    - 250 Labdanum
    - 250 Vanillin
    - 200 Musk Ketone
    - 30 Oakmoss Resin
    - 80 Siam benzoin
    - 70 Tolu balsam
    - 15 Civet (3% tincture?)
    - 10 Clary Sage oil
    - 10 Patchouly oil - English
    - 50 Olibanum R

Coincidentally when looking for my e-mail drafts for something else entirely, I found these, which conceivably could be relevant:

Fixateur Ambrone (W. Poucher) Amber base

Labdanum resinoid 100
    Benzoe Siam resinoid 100
    Heliotropine 90
    Coumarine 70
    Musk ketone 40
    EO Patchouli 30
    EO Vetiver 10

Solid Amber:
    - 250 Labdanum
    - 250 Vanillin
    - 200 Musk Ketone
    - 30 Oakmoss Resin
    - 80 Siam benzoin
    - 70 Tolu balsam
    - 15 Civet (3% tincture?)
    - 10 Clary Sage oil
    - 10 Patchouly oil - English
    - 50 Olibanum R
    Oh these are very relevant! Good find Bill!

Its funny about these fantasy Amber accords, how its always based around Benzoin, Labdanum and Vanilla....but every accord formula ive seen is so drastically different between these 3 ingredients. It reminds me of a general Rose accord being based around PEA, Citronellol and Geraniol....but looking at all the rose accord formulas, these 3 main component/ingredients are so vastly different from one another depending on what kind of rose you're after.

Coincidentally when looking for my e-mail drafts for something else entirely, I found these, which conceivably could be relevant ...
    Thank you, Bill. This is very revealing (but isn´t there to much of vanilla in
    the second formulation?).

For the next time I am trying to make some "research" in ambers on my amateur
    level, using only naturals. Especially the influence of Ambrette, Civet
    Castoreum, Muscrat, and the effects of exchanging (or mixing) Benzoin against
    Tolu- or Perubalsam absolutes.

What is "Patchouly oil - English" ?

It's relatively not as much as it seems, being equal to the labdanum though often it would be less as with Julian's. The number looks huge because the formula has not much besides amber and musk.

I only see now that the first lacks vanillin somehow. I may have made a cut and paste error when saving that.

On the English distinction, I have no idea! (EDIT: Poucher Vol 1 brings out that very fine distillation of patchouli was done in England and in France. So I suppose, as opposed to a patchouli e.o. distilled in other countries.)

Thumbing through Poucher Vol 2 now that I am home, I find neither formula. I don't know where I originally found them.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ivor Joedy View Post
    What is "Patchouly oil - English" ?
    It is an additional specification for the source of the product.

This: EO Vetiver 10 in the Fixateur Ambrone (W. Poucher) Amber base
    uhhh.... where is this Vetiver from?
    I can think of at least 10 places commonly distilling vetiver, and they all smell differently.
    Changing the vetiver will change the fragrance result.

Sometimes a formula will give a country, a supplier, a botanical source, - some other material qualifier.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

I need to correct my error with the first "amber" formula in a preceding post. Using Google to search instead of whatever is default for Microsoft Edge, I was able to turn up a source here on DIY having a copy of what almost must be the source formula. (I may have gotten it off of the Yahoo Perfumemaking Group instead of DIY.

In making notes for myself I obviously followed my bad but sometimes-focus-improving habit of picking out what I was thinking fundamental to what I was interested in and copying only that. So that first formula was incomplete.

Poucher does call some things amber that I would not at least by looking at the ingredients. There are cases that to me have no amber material at all whatsoever, even.

In this case, I was struck by absence of vanillin. But the posted formula was correct in that regard: there is no vanilla of any kind.

There are however other ingredients that I must have struck out at the time as not being relevant to the direction I was going at the time. The full formula is:

Amber base by Poucher

EO Tangerine 120
    EO Bergamot 110
    Labdanum resinoid 100
    Benzoe Siam resinoid 100
    Heliotropine 90
    Isobutylcinnamate 80
    Coumarine 70
    Jasmin accord 65
    Musk ketone 40
    Rose accord 35
    EO Patchouli 30
    EO Cypress 25
    EO Vetiver 10

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215...=1#post1390701

The second, Solid Amber formula I must have obtained from wooznib here on the forum. It at least was accurately and fully recorded! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/423...=1#post3856938

Basenotes Plus

I have several amber formulas in my endowment, the solid amber formula is just that, meant to cut up into squares and blocks. You can add them to larger projects. The formula directions say to dust the cubes with vanillin so that they don't stick together.

Have you ever smelled the amber balls from L'artisan Parfumeur? The cut up squares inside are of a similar formula. But they do have another trick up their sleeve, different from this solid amber formula.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

What are the aspects of an amber-accord, that evoke the color red to you? I would start there and try to expand these. First I would start with a basic combination of the classics ( labdanum, benzoin, vanilla). This one would be more heavy on the labdanum, as the material has a very dark crimson feel to me. Once you are satisfied with the balance of the three you could start build around it. For this I would tend to go for balsamic and spicy notes with areddish direction. Could be tolubalsam, cinnamon-chems, eugenolic stuff, opoponax, nutmeg and so on. With emphasis on the labdanum I would use methyl cinnamate und ethyl acetate to push it a little more. As your base will be really heavy by now it will need some lift. This could be achieved by frankincense, aldehyde c-12 MNA and a bergamotte-orange combo. These are just some ideas. Maybe there are one or two things that help you :-)

A little -- a year or 8 posts -- late on my part, but, welcome to the forum!

That is especially practical, efficient, and soundly founded advice IMO.

I do hope to be reading many of your posts in the future if that can work out for you!

A little -- a year or 8 posts -- late on my part, but, welcome to the forum!

That is especially practical, efficient, and soundly founded advice IMO.

I do hope to be reading many of your posts in the future if that can work out for you!
    Thank you very much for the kind words and the warm welcome to the forum :-) I am very eager to be more active in the discussions.

My ingredients are arriving on tuesday, so I've preconceived this formula below to give me a plan of attack when it arrives ...and will make a batch up, see how it turns out:

* I'll probably omit the "Amber Accord (pa), just want to keep that on th side in case it needs it. It's a very dry, transparent Amber Accord.

Screenshot_20200510-183813.jpg

Basenotes Member

I have something called Ambrarome Absolu from Synarome. I think it smells VERY similar to Labdanum Absolute. Quite costly, but apparently it is supposed to work as an alternative to Ambergris Tincture - that is, at very low doses.

Update: by adding in the Balsam Peru and Styrax to the formula....improved it by a huge margin! Its now slightly more spicy in a cinnamon kind of way, and a bit earthier. Im liking where this turned out. I'm probably gonna up the dose on the vanillan just a touch to give it a slight more sweetness...but so far im very impressed with Julians Accord!

Basenotes Plus

Hey brother, interesting you used the AmberExtreme... I did this a few months ago to a "modern amber incense accord" I was making... (numbers are ratios)

LABDANUM RESINOID MD @ 50%....15
    Myrrh Resinoid 65% in TEC.................10
    VANILLIN @ 50%.................................10
    Benzion 70%..........................................7
    Black Agar Givco 215/2..........................7
    Frankincense (Olibanum) - Somal.........5
    BERRYFLOR® GIVAUDAN...................5 (I did it with aldehyde C-16 instead of Berryflor... this is "red" to me)
    AmberExtreme...................................... .3
    Eugenol........................................... ......2 (clove-ish instead of cinnamon)
    Damascone Beta...................................1
    Last edited by Devil's Son In Law; 12th May 2020 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil's Son In Law View Post
    Hey brother, interesting you used the AmberExtreme... I did this a few months ago to a "modern amber incense accord" I was making... (numbers are ratios)

LABDANUM RESINOID MD @ 50%....15
    Myrrh Resinoid 65% in TEC.................10
    VANILLIN @ 50%.................................10
    Benzion 70%..........................................7
    Black Agar Givco 215/2..........................7
    Frankincense (Olibanum) - Somal.........5
    BERRYFLOR® GIVAUDAN...................5 (I did it with aldehyde C-16 instead of Berryflor... this is "red" to me)
    AmberExtreme...................................... .3
    Eugenol........................................... ......2 (clove-ish instead of cinnamon)
    Damascone Beta...................................1
    Interesting you used labdanum as the main ingredient. I’ve never tried it this way, I’ve always had the benzoin up front. How did yours turn out? Did you like the outcome?

Basenotes Plus

Interesting you used labdanum as the main ingredient. I’ve never tried it this way, I’ve always had the benzoin up front. How did yours turn out? Did you like the outcome?
    It's good when you want it dirty, I think. You get some dirty-sweet-incense-berry (C16 makes berry more pronounced). It's not good if you are making an Ariana Grande-style to sell at ULTA, but more like "Weekend in Amsterdam"... haha
    Last edited by Devil's Son In Law; 12th May 2020 at 04:47 PM.