Code of Conduct

Default Xerjoff 40 Knots

What's your thoughts on Xerjoff 40 Knots in terms of smell, virsitility, uniqueness, performance. Does it remind you of any other scents? Is it FBW?
    Thanks

Dependent

Default Re: Xerjoff 40 Knots

I haven't tried it yet but I just got a sample of it in the mail. I'll give it a wear within a couple days and report back with my thoughts.

Thanks

Sound Scents

I wasn’t impressed by it, though I have smelled worse.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    7) Nombre Noir (Shiseido)
    8) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

I really like it a lot and went for a full bottle. Xerjoff quality and staying power.
    Currently wearing: Beach Hut Man by Amouage

It was ok but certainly not bottle worthy when I sampled it.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I don't own many Xerjoffs, but 40 Knots is one of them. I also enjoy Kobe, Uden and Mefisto (much better than Silver Mountain Water).

Like all Xerjoffs I've tried, the performance is insane. Projection and longevity are excellent for me, and less is typically the way to go or they can become cloying.

I love the smell of 40 Knots but never understood why it's considered an "aquatic/marine" fragrance. It doesn't strike me like that at all.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

I have a sample that I've worn twice. It is Xerjoff, so the quality is there, I do like it but it is not setting my world on fire.
    For me this is similar to good lunch on a cold rainy day in, say Camogli with one's rough around the edges Fiat Stilo STW in the parking lot thus out ruling caffe corretto you'd need for the wind.

-Mark
    Using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Casbah by Robert Piguet

How is it compared to Ambre Nuit? Or it's not that similar?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Oud&Musk View Post
    What's your thoughts on Xerjoff 40 Knots in terms of smell, virsitility, uniqueness, performance. Does it remind you of any other scents? Is it FBW?
    Thanks
    Versatility - decent. Have worn on colder days and on holiday in 36°C heat. No issues with either.
    Uniqueness - will come onto that a little later.
    Performance - typically strong. Fairly commensurate with Xerjoff's other fragrances.
    Reminds me of - Dior Ambre Nuit. I described it as 'Ambre Nuit without rose' to a friend who agreed. I.e. isn't unique as was able to pinpoint the scent it was reminiscent of.
    FBW - that's up to you, I'd suggest you sample it first as what works for me might not work for you. I didn't opt for it as I prefer Ambre Nuit for the inclusion of rose, of which I have a reasonable size decant.

It's nice but really you should try it. I would argue it's not as 'expressive' as some of the other Xerjoff scents, but it's not a commonplace smell either in that regard.

It's a woody aquatic, but more woody. I really don't see the Ambre Nuit comparison till I started reading it here. I'll have to A/B to know for sure, but never crossed my mind.

40 Knots didn't really grab me or stand out when I was sampling along with a bunch of other Xerjoffs. I went back to the sample a few months later, kinda in its own light and that's when it clicked for me. Ended up purchasing a full bottle and always look forward to wearing it.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Roja Parfums H The Exclusive Aoud
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Molinard Patchouli
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Dependent

I'm giving it a full wear for the first time today. It's definitely likable from the opening to the dry down. To me, it's woody and aquatic but also floral. The smell is pleasant and I can't imagine it offending anyone. I would consider it a versatile scent, but it's not the best option for evening/ formal wear. I would say this is best worn on a boat (I guess that is what they were going for). Unique? Yeah, I'd say it's unique enough. I haven't tried a LOT of fragrances, but I don't imagine you're likely to find someone else wearing this often. The performance is pretty good so far. It's not nuclear, but what can you expect with this scent profile? The scent doesn't blow me away. It's nice, no doubt, but I'll pass on a full bottle.

I have this and whilst I do like it, I don't find myself reaching for it very often. It took my be surprise at first as I was expecting more of an aquatic fragrance but it really isn't like that. Best way I can describe it is a bit like polished wood. A bit like going into one of those surf or boat shops at the coast which have wooden floors and the smell of warm slightly salty coastal air going through them. Definitely unique.
    Currently wearing: Amber Extrait by Roja Dove

Just got my full bottle today. Immediately reminds me of Creation E Cologne by Roja. Very nice...but Aquatic?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Having tried it, thought it was OK but nothing special to me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Very nice...but Aquatic?
    To me, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    To me, yes.
    I’ll give it a full wearing today. Maybe it will reveal itself to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Just got my full bottle today. Very nice...but Aquatic?
    I bought 40 Knots not too long after it was released in 2012. I don't know if the formulation has changed since its release, but it never struck me as a marine or aquatic fragrance either. Not even a little bit, really.

When the Xerjoff Join the Club Collection was first released, they intended to keep the ingredients of all the fragrances in the line a secret. Even so, I do see some ingredients identified now, but I don't know how accurate they are. Fragrantica shows notes of salt and sea water, but my nose smells neither.

Obviously, with a name like "40 Knots," Xerjoff intended it to be some kind of scent suggesting water or "yachting". I've smelled many fragrances of this kind, but I'm just not smelling it in 40 Knots.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I bought 40 Knots not too long after it was released in 2012. I don't know if the formulation has changed since its release, but it never struck me as a marine or aquatic fragrance either. Not even a little bit, really.

When the Xerjoff Join the Club Collection was first released, they intended to keep the ingredients of all the fragrances in the line a secret. Even so, I do see some ingredients identified now, but I don't know how accurate they are. Fragrantica shows notes of salt and sea water, but my nose smells neither.

Obviously, with a name like "40 Knots," Xerjoff intended it to be some kind of scent suggesting water or "yachting". I've smelled many fragrances of this kind, but I'm just not smelling it in 40 Knots.
    Agreed. I did not get anything aquatic from it. I still think it reminds me most of Creation E Cologne.

It's mostly an amber to me... and very similar to Dior Ambre Nuit.

I fell out of love with 40 Knots very quickly though. I had tried the 2012 version and owned the one in the current bottle most recently.