Code of Conduct
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Default Re: Perfume Game: Summer's night near the coastline / beach

Quote Originally Posted by Jolieo View Post
    I forget what I diluted it to, but I guess it wasn’t enough( at least 25%_20%)
    No matter, it was fun.

Something to consider is to pre-dilute your ingredients (or at least a small working bottle of ingredient) before even starting any blending to somewhere near an edt strength. I personally prefer working at a 10% dilution because it is easier on the nose, easier on the wallet and certainly easier on the maths. For very strong ingredients I dilute mine to 1%, 0.1% and even 0.01% for the same maths reasons. Then you can blend with impunity, the final result is somewhere near the right strength to use and you're not using up all your raw ingredients so fast.

Hope you're feeling better Levanthenon.

I've been wearing your Corniche today HabibiGotIt. It's still lingering on my hand after quite a few washes so some good lingering basenotes going on here.

Overall, as I've received these, I've been spending long non rushed time with each of these with no judgement at all except random thoughts as I wear and experience each perfume all the way to dry down. I like to initially have the freedom to wear them without having any pressure to know anything. Like I would experience a perfume if I'd bought it for myself or was trying a sample pass. They can then sit in my mind whilst I try others. I'll then return to each one and wear them again and again because then they'll be familiar to my expectations, but that time I'll be taking notes all day.

I've got 15 perfumes here now. I've updated my list in the earlier post.
    I'm still expecting Kerala and Costa Del mar and any others not mentioned yet.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- All club matters still on hold whilst I care for my dad now.)

Twitter - @PonkClub for regular twitter updates

My Tincture list

A perfumed life - Tinctures, perfumes, cordials, wines and ingredients

Sample 12 - I'm trying Country Lake from Jolieo.

This has something that at least feigns a kind of animalic smell. Maybe indolic. I suppose it's floral, but it has a growl to it. It's also fruity in the opening, which I'm getting as peach. This has some of the big players from some classic perfumery. I'm especially thinking of the old, fruity Diors such as Diorella. 1969 from Histoires de Parfums is another perfume crossing my mind.

This has a nice woods note. Again, I'd believe it comes from flowers, or something else, but the illusion of wood is here, and a nice version of it.

Perfumes that smell animalic, or edgy in a way that can come across as animalic, have a good platform. Everything is more interesting against that backdrop.

This is my style - old, thick perfumes that were a bit over the top. Bal a Versailles comes to mind.

This might be a hit in the vintage forum.

This is a long shot to win the brief, I would think. Bold move to get your work out there, though.

Another fragrance coming to mind is Armani.

Based on how this smells, I'd be a bit surprised if it were IFRA compliant. That would be awesome, though. Like, "What was all that IFRA fuss about?"

Trying this on paper on August 9th, it smells pretty outrageous. It smells scary enough on paper, I might have been worried to try it on skin if I had smelled it this way first. My skin could work with this blend and bring out something nice. On paper, it's fairly shocking, urine and overripe fruit.
    Last edited by Bavard; 9th August 2020 at 03:59 PM.

The only sample I have in hand that I haven't posted on is sample 16 - Playa Azahar from Elizadys. I have done a wearing. I could do with another. It was yesterday, and I was under stress at work.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

The real world has taken away from my time in the perfume world, sorry I haven't posted updates in a few weeks. I have received a few more and I'll post what I have below.

I also received the first shipping casualty, which I think is bluescent's submission but I can definitively check whose it is when I get home today. It came from Italy. It showed up in my mailbox in one of those USPS plastic bags that reads "Dear Customer, we're sorry..." yada yada yada. The package itself was still plenty fragrant so I've doubled bagged it in plastic and will evaluate it as a big unintended rectangular smelling strip, but won't be wearing this one on skin. It smells really nice, though!

1. Paradise Beach from Bkkorn;

2. Costa del Mar from chyprefresh;

3. Kerala form bsouthers;

4. Dunes & Roses from xii;

5. Miami 1985 from Devil's Son in Law;

6. Billowmist from SubUmbra;

7. Manzanita from AdamE;

8. oursubmission from ourmess;

9. Corniche from HabibiGotIt;

10. Mare Nectaris from Godmu;

11. Inchydoney from Marlaney;

12. Country Lake from Jolieo;

13. Playa Azahar from Elizadys; and

***14. Riveria from bluescent, I think.
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

Bavard thank you for the review , very much. I just thought to look up “Armani” and to compare anything I made to that is quite a compliment. When the other judges review, I will comment, thanks for judging!

I was happily wearing Sundark yesterday. I could still smell it a tiny bit as I went to sleep.

Today I am enjoying wearing Quiet Coast.

I want to give each one a few wearings in proper life situations. There are a lot of perfumes here to evaluate all at once so that's why we're not very fast.
    The PONK club - gymnosium for perfumers (NOTE:- All club matters still on hold whilst I care for my dad now.)

My Tincture list

I'm sorry IsoESuperman. I thought that my protection could guarantee the bottle safety, but unfortunately it didn't go well. next time only plastic containers !!! Now you only have a big mouillette of Riviera !

Mumsy, seriously I am sure we are happy to wait! I sure am.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    The only sample I have in hand that I haven't posted on is sample 16 - Playa Azahar from Elizadys. I have done a wearing. I could do with another. It was yesterday, and I was under stress at work.
    I now have the samples from pavomi, andreasmg13, and Geco.

I'm trying Playa Azahar again.

In addition to being swamped with work last week on the day I tried this, it's such a different style of perfume (perfume oil), and it has such a different mood from the other fragrances I've tried in this series, I needed time to think about it, and the other samples up to now.

The person who would choose this as a beach vacation scent would be a serious perfume person. I'm getting heavy white flower concentrates. I'm a fan, but this is done as such a serious fragrance, I'm not feeling like it's one for the beach.

To my mind, this is a perfume for a woman who wants to make a statement. Someone who wants nothing to do with mall fragrances.

I could see someone having an association with insecticide from Playa Azahar - a can of wasp spray or ant spray isn't so, so different from this. Imagine one of those sprays transformed into a wearable perfume oil, but clearly based on flowers.

I like this. I don't find it a great fit for the theme. I'm more than willing to explore more perfume in this style.

On paper, the notes are being held in a way that makes this smell foodie floral - it smells like flowers that sort of smell like vegetables, maybe specifically okra.
    Last edited by Bavard; 9th August 2020 at 03:26 PM.

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Quote Originally Posted by bluescent View Post
    I'm sorry IsoESuperman. I thought that my protection could guarantee the bottle safety, but unfortunately it didn't go well. next time only plastic containers !!! Now you only have a big mouillette of Riviera !
    No worries! Plus Im not sure it is Riviera now, so there may be hope.

After some googling of the town on the return address and looking at the participants profile info who had Italian flags showing, I think the shattered vial is actually Gecos entry and not yours. Geco, Im guessing your username here is a combination of letters from your first and last name? If so, the vial is shattered but the packaging smells great. Still fragrant enough to evaluate.
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

Basenotes Member

Gosh, I'm glad to hear that! I was actually expecting my shipments overseas to be stopped, so this is great news!

I’m starting to wonder if my sample to Mumsy got lost along the way. It’s been close to a month!

I also.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by bsouthers View Post
    I’m starting to wonder if my sample to Mumsy got lost along the way. It’s been close to a month!
    I've lived overseas a lot and worked with foreign customs at times, and your issue is possibly realated to customs. They routinely flag contraband items like perfume or drinking alcohol being sent and destroy it. You won't get a notification either, unless it was something more serious that was sent. Perfume won't draw any law enforcement problems, it will just get thrown out.

If you put perfume on the customs form, it is an easy kill for them. I put "cosmetic samples" on Mumsy's and apparently no problem. However, just because you get it through once doesn't mean they won't catch it next time. I worked with them in Qatar and they even flagged rated R movies.
    Last edited by Devil's Son In Law; 5th August 2020 at 06:44 PM.
    Andrew Hugg, Lieutenant Colonel, USAF (retired)

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    No worries! Plus Im not sure it is Riviera now, so there may be hope.

After some googling of the town on the return address and looking at the participants profile info who had Italian flags showing, I think the shattered vial is actually Gecos entry and not yours. Geco, Im guessing your username here is a combination of letters from your first and last name? If so, the vial is shattered but the packaging smells great. Still fragrant enough to evaluate.
    Yes isoesuperman, geco is combination of my name/surname...i'm sorry for "crash" (in postal machines, I suppose....)

do the judges have any idea when evaluations will begin (apart from Bavard that is)?
    'Today I'm a star. What will I be tomorrow? A black hole?'
    Woody Allen

Sample 15 - I'm trying L'Eau des Sirenes from Pavomi.

This is coming across fairly civet-y to me.

Something extreme is going on with this fragrance because my significant other just said it reminded her of Chanel 1932. That comment was a shocker for me. I said, "Maybe Cuir de Russie?" and she said definitely not. - Update: She has lost the connection to 1932, and now says it smells like pee and a little like Dior Jules. (Jules, by the way, does smell like Cuir de Russie to me, a bit, the older civet-y Cuir de Russie).

I never smelled this as a 1932-type. To me, it's what Zoologist stuff should smell like. "Ocean Rain" is another fragrance coming to mind, and it has ocean in the name and smells nothing like the ocean to me.

With Ocean Rain, I thought it smelled like horses. I said the same for one these fragrances up-thread, Billowmist. With L'Eau des Sirenes, it has gone beyond horses. I'm seeing elephants at times - part zoo, part big-top circus. I believe there's a market for this. Something is causing me to smell these (Ocean Rain, Billowmist, L'Eau des Sirenes) as animal farm fragrances instead of beach fragrances. I'm starting to think it's not the perfumes, it's me. I think I'm having a block.

I'm looking through my old notes - there's another fragrance I've mentioned being in this style: Rainflower by Neil Morris.

Trying this on paper on August 9th, I'm a little thrown off. Insect imagery is looming large for me. This was happening to me with Sample 16, Playa Azahar, on skin. I can get this kind of effect from pollen notes, I gather, or just white flower extracts, I suppose. It smells especially urinous / indolic / white floral on paper. This is a challenging fragrance - avant-garde stuff.
    Last edited by Bavard; 9th August 2020 at 03:24 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

In defense of submissions not being beach fragrances:

The theme is a fragrance for / about a Summer's night near the coastline / beach.
    It can be for a beach but also about a coastline.

This is coming across fairly civet-y to me.

Something extreme is going on with this fragrance because my significant other just said it reminded her of Chanel 1932. That comment was a shocker for me. I said, "Maybe Cuir de Russie?" and she said definitely not. - Update: She has lost the connection to 1932, and now says it smells like pee and a little like Dior Jules. (Jules, by the way, does smell like Cuir de Russie to me, a bit, the older civet-y Cuir de Russie).

I never smelled this as a 1932-type. To me, it's what Zoologist stuff should smell like. "Ocean Rain" is another fragrance coming to mind, and it has ocean in the name and smells nothing like the ocean to me.

With Ocean Rain, I thought it smelled like horses. I said the same for one these fragrances up-thread, Billowmist. With L'Eau des Sirenes, it has gone beyond horses. I'm seeing elephants at times - part zoo, part big-top circus. I believe there's a market for this. Something is causing me to smell these (Ocean Rain, Billowmist, L'Eau des Sirenes) as animal farm fragrances instead of beach fragrances. I'm starting to think it's not the perfumes, it's me. I think I'm having a block.

I wonder if the "horse" note you're experiencing could be how you perceive ambergris? I only used a tiny amount of the real stuff in Billowmist, but about 8% of my formula utilizes a blend of ambergris-like materials. I wonder if the others you register as horse/barnyard use similar materials? I could see ambergris being described like that.
    Currently wearing: Black Afgano by Nasomatto

Sample 17 - I'm trying Sundark from Andreasmg13.

This opens with a likable mass market vibe. It smells mass market, but edgy. Or at least modern.

And then it turns to be slightly too much for me. Something needs to be dialed back.

At the same time, there are ingredients in here I like.

I'm having anosmia issues with this.

In one moment, it will be screechy, and I don't like it. Then, I'll find the beautiful wood note, and wonder why I thought I hadn't liked it. Then the screechiness comes back, and it's deflating.

This seems like something that would sell. I don't quite like it, although at times, my nose filters it in a way that it smells amazing.

Wearing this would be too much work for me. I feel the same way about stuff that I've tried that sells for $500 a bottle, and this has that kind of vibe to it - it smells extreme, and with good marketing, it could be something, I imagine.

Smelling this on August 9th on a card, it is bringing back images of summer camp as a kid. A sleepover camp that was really well done. I was really into being clean back then, squeaky clean, and that's the kind of soap note I'm getting from this on paper. Mixed with this, I'm getting a fairly common perfume aroma chemical. On skin, this might absorb and disguise itself. On paper, it's coming across as harsh.
    Last edited by Bavard; 9th August 2020 at 03:05 PM.

These are the samples I have received:

1. Paradise Beach from Bkkorn;

2. Costa del Mar from chyprefresh;

3. Kerala form bsouthers;

4. Dunes & Roses from xii;

5. Miami 1985 from Devil's Son in Law;

6. Billowmist from SubUmbra;

7. Manzanita from AdamE;

8. oursubmission from ourmess;

9. Corniche from HabibiGotIt;

10. Mare Nectaris from Godmu;

11. Inchydoney from Marlaney;

12. Country Lake from Jolieo;

15. L'Eau des Sirenes from pavomi;

16. Playa Azahar from Elizadys;

17. Sundark from Andreasmg13; and

18. Quiet Coast from Geco.

The missing samples are:

13. The Breath of Riviera from Bluescent; and

14. Sexy Crush from Kacper Kafel.

Maybe others?

Today I am trying the final sample I have in hand: Sample 18 - Quiet Coast from Geco.

I liked the opening. I got wrapped up in it, and fairly excited. It was reminding me of J'ai Fait un Rve Obscur by Majda Bekkali. The hip, sophisticated niche vibe has mostly held up. It has gone a bit menthol, maybe too much. I'm keeping an eye on it to see where it goes. This is about an hour in, and it feels like it has lost its early momentum.

The menthol vibe was fairly persistent, and I started wondering why people are considering it so in fashion.

I'm doing paper testing today on the 16 samples I have, and I've just put some of this on paper. I love the opening of this, so it does great on paper.

This one has "quiet" in the name, and it does manage to capture that kind of feeling for me, a feeling of relative calm, while knowing the winds can always pick up, and storms can roll in.

I'll try to get some overall thoughts in order. Paul said to test on paper, so I'll get out the ones I have. If the others come within the next few days, I'll give them a shot, but I'm thinking of posting my approximate order of preference on August 15th while things are still relatively fresh in my mind. But I'll post notes on anything I get after that.

Update: I have my notes in order. My approximate order of preference is ready to go. Again, if something else comes in this week, I'll squeeze it in. Otherwise my list is ready to publish on Saturday, August 15th.

About the theme, beach or coastline, etc., and about the notes that came with the entries - ultimately these were of less consequence than the perfumes themselves by a long distance. The perfume I'm listing as my favorite doesn't seem to fit the theme very well, but it's clearly the one I would be most likely to wear.

I'm thinking out loud: I could pass these around. I might consider splitting them into more than one group to speed the process. I'm thinking participants might want to smell some of the other entries. If that is of interest to anyone, send me a message.
    Last edited by Bavard; 14th August 2020 at 03:01 PM.

I'm worried about my Sexy Crush, I'm afraid the package is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper Kafel View Post
    I'm worried about my Sexy Crush, I'm afraid the package is missing.
    Wait just a second. On page 1 of this thread you wrote...

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper Kafel View Post
    I will also participate. I'll try to make some typical Polish lake smell. Crowds of primitive people smoking cigarettes, drinking beer and grilling sausages and throwing away a lot of rubbish, destroying beautiful nature, and the smell of "after rain" come to mind. We'll see what comes out of it.
    And the resulting scent is called Sexy Crush?

No, that was the initial assumption. I made a fragrance that illustrates some sexy adventure in my sad life, and because it took place on the water, it fit the theme perfectly.

Sample 3, Kerala from bsouthers, is an interesting one. My significant other wore it as her scent of the day, and liked it. She's not over-the-moon wanting a bottle, but it was an endorsement, beyond the fact she chose it. If I think she might like something, I run it by her, and she took to Kerala right away. I think it indicates that Kerala is sufficiently mainstream smelling to do well. I'm not a huge fan of the opening, but I like how it develops.

Sample 3, Kerala from bsouthers, is an interesting one. My significant other wore it as her scent of the day, and liked it. She's not over-the-moon wanting a bottle, but it was an endorsement, beyond the fact she chose it. If I think she might like something, I run it by her, and she took to Kerala right away. I think it indicates that Kerala is sufficiently mainstream smelling to do well. I'm not a huge fan of the opening, but I like how it develops.
    Thanks for your thoughts, Bavard! Glad you and your significant other enjoyed it as well.

Hooray another parcel today. Ourmess gets the prize for the most secure packaging. i could barely get in. I'm wearing that today.

I haven't wanted to comment on each perfume like Bavard has until I'd smelled them all properly. Maybe I should have been. I'll gather all my notes and get something down.

The samples I haven't received yet are Costa del Mar and Kerala

My Tincture list

Basenotes Plus

Samples received are:
    Cornice
    Mare Nectaris
    Quiet Coast
    Nate Levy's apparently unnamed
    Kerala
    Miami 1985
    Dunes and Roses
    Inchydoney
    Costa del Mar
    Country Lake
    Paradise Beach
    Manzanita
    Billowmist
    L'eau des Sirens

I really appreciate those who sent their title and story or statement, instead that I have to find them in this thread.

Will begin reviews after I assemble those statements from this thread.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Sample 13 - The Breath of Riviera from Bluescent came in. I've worn it a couple times today.

This reminds me a little of Manzanita and Polo Red. I like it. Nice work, Bluescent.

It has an interesting opening few seconds. Only the slightest touch of that remains through the scent - that aspect of Riviera is interesting. The opening is like an action-packed preview of the fragrance, and then the wearing starts.

This gives me some push and pull, but ultimately it is winning me over. It is a fun perfume. I could see wearing it to the beach.

There's a lot of promise in how this is put together. It doesn't smell like expensive ingredients, but it smells like an idea that has worked. There is a green plant stem type of note in here that I might not like, but then it has a light sweetness that gives it just the right balance. The sweetness in this is good. Not too sweet, but sweet. Comfortable, suave sweetness.

Thumbs up!

I have my notes in order. My approximate order of preference is ready to go. Again, if something else comes in this week, I'll squeeze it in. Otherwise my list is ready to publish on Saturday, August 15th.
    The only fragrance I have seen discussed that hasn't made it here is would-be Sample 14 - Sexy Crush from Kacper Kafel. I was able to squeeze in The Breath of Riviera this week, and it did fairly well on my list:

Thank you so much to everyone who has participated in this event! This is my approximate order of preference from the 17 entries I've tried:

1. Corniche from HabibiGotIt (Sample 9);

2. Paradise Beach from Bkkorn (Sample 1);

3. Billowmist from SubUmbra (Sample 6);

4. Dunes & Roses from xii (Sample 4);

5. Manzanita from AdamE (Sample 7);

6. Kerala form bsouthers (Sample 3);

7. The Breath of Riviera from bluescent (Sample 13);

8. Costa del Mar from chyprefresh (Sample 2);

9. Quiet Coast from Geco (Sample 18);

10. Inchydoney from Marlaney (Sample 11);

11. Playa Azahar from Elizadys (Sample 16);

12. L'Eau des Sirenes from pavomi (Sample 15);

13. Country Lake from Jolieo (Sample 12);

14. Miami 1985 from Devil's Son in Law (Sample 5);

15. Mare Nectaris from Godmu (Sample 10);

16. Sundark from Andreasmg13 (Sample 17) (my significant other thinks I'm crazy for having this one so low); and

17. oursubmission from ourmess (Sample 8).

This was a lot of fun and I would definitely do it again. I appreciated the opportunity to try every sample.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast