Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Do you have scent that makes people walking by you turn around and ask what you are wearing?

From what I remember:
    Ocassionaly complimented by friends, however specifically after applying - I'm a topper upper-er
    RG, BdP.

Head turners:
    LIDGE easily likable - chocolate orange = yum
    Strange one was overspray of Bogart Signature - stalky - but must've been a person of impeccable tastes.
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

All about the masculines.

Default Re: Do you have scent that makes people walking by you turn around and ask what you are wearing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    From what I remember:
    Ocassionaly complimented by friends, however specifically after applying - I'm a topper upper-er
    RG, BdP.

Head turners:
    LIDGE easily likable - chocolate orange = yum
    Strange one was overspray of Bogart Signature - stalky - but must've been a person of impeccable tastes.
    I’ve gotten you smell weird a few times by the same co worker with LIDG EDP lol, most everyone says it smells excellent so I pass it off since I love this one to bits! You can’t please everyone’s nose and I have no intentions of doing so I do this for me!
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I've never been complimented by any coworker, and there would be too many friends to list. As for strangers,

New York Intense - A guy at a Fry's in Phoenix, and he noted the name.
    1740 Histoires de Parfums - A guy on the light rail in Phoenix. He said I smelled of incense.
    Carven Homme - A bartender in Phoenix, he even took down the name and bought it on Amazon, back when Carven Homme was $15 in 2015.

Ex Idolo Thirty-Three - A guy on the street in Cleveland when I was passing by.
    Montale Intense Cafe - A cashier at Target (I think) in Cleveland.
    Musc Ravageur - A lady at the lobby of my condo building in Cleveland as I was just heading out.
    Chergui - A lady in Cleveland downtown on a cold November morning as I was walking to work. She was really taken in by it, and I gave her the name. We chatted a bit, and it was clear that she wasn't much into perfumes. She thought it was amazing, she mentioned that she had never thought a perfume could smell that good.

Bois d'Argent - An SA at the downtown Merz Apothecary in Chicago.

Acqua di Gio Profumo - A young guy at Uniqlo at Toronto Eaton Centre, he took down the name as he wanted to buy it (I think he went straight to Sephora!).
    Ex Idolo Thirty-Three - A stripper at a strip club in Montreal; however, I don't think this qualifies as a compliment ;-) She was very surprised that I wasn't wearing an "Acqua di Gio, Armani or Calvin Klein".

Bleu de Chanel Parfum - A fellow salsa student; I'd complimented her several times before, she would always wear a perfume that had a tuberose-ish floral note, smelled fresh, mainstream-ish, new-ish and still unique. I never asked for the name. I've gotten compliments from other dance partners at classes and socials, but I don't remember those off the top of my head, and there are too many. I guess this situation doesn't align with the thread context of people 'turning around' ....

Kiehl's Musk - Once at a fetish party in Toronto, I was complimented by a woman who said it smelled 'happy and cheerful', and later by a guy who thought it smelled fresh and interesting.

Allure Homme Sport Cologne - A woman at a bar in Toronto. She actually guessed it being a Chanel perfume, which was very impressive.

Baie de Genievre - This one is special and means something, I got a compliment from HackerX when we met up in Toronto once. It's great to be complimented by a Basenoter!

I like reading about people getting complimented, but whenever I see a thread along the lines of "please suggest which one is best for compliments ...", I die on the inside a little. Compliments are very situational. It could be less about what one wears, and more about how one wears it. I've been complimented other times by strangers in passing, but those were more along the lines of "you smell good / thanks" without any further interaction. I took this thread as an opportunity to look back at the years.
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I've never been complimented by any coworker, and there would be too many friends to list. As for strangers,

1740 Histoires de Parfums - A guy on the light rail in Phoenix. He said I smelled of incense.
    Carven Homme - A bartender in Phoenix, he even took down the name and bought it on Amazon, back when Carven Homme was $15 in 2015.

Musc Ravageur - A lady at the lobby of my condo building in Cleveland as I was just heading out.
    Chergui - A lady in Cleveland downtown on a cold November morning as I was walking to work. She was really taken in by it, and I gave her the name. We chatted a bit, and it was clear that she wasn't much into perfumes. She thought it was amazing, she mentioned that she had never thought a perfume could smell that good.

Acqua di Gio Profumo - A young guy at Uniqlo at Toronto Eaton Centre, he took down the name as he wanted to buy it (I think he went straight to Sephora!).
    Ex Idolo Thirty-Three - A stripper at a strip club in Montreal; however, I don't think this qualifies as a compliment ;-) She was very surprised that I wasn't wearing an "Acqua di Gio, Armani or Calvin Klein".

Bleu de Chanel Parfum - A fellow salsa student; I'd complimented her several times before, she would always wear a perfume that had a tuberose-ish floral note, smelled fresh, mainstream-ish, new-ish and still unique. I never asked for the name. I've gotten compliments from other dance partners at classes and socials, but I don't remember those off the top of my head, and there are too many. I guess this situation doesn't align with the thread context of people 'turning around' ....

Kiehl's Musk - Once at a fetish party in Toronto, I was complimented by a woman who said it smelled 'happy and cheerful', and later by a guy who thought it smelled fresh and interesting.

Allure Homme Sport Cologne - A woman at a bar in Toronto. She actually guessed it being a Chanel perfume, which was very impressive.

Baie de Genievre - This one is special and means something, I got a compliment from HackerX when we met up in Toronto once. It's great to be complimented by a Basenoter!

I like reading about people getting complimented, but whenever I see a thread along the lines of "please suggest which one is best for compliments ...", I die on the inside a little. Compliments are very situational. It could be less about what one wears, and more about how one wears it. I've been complimented other times by strangers in passing, but those were more along the lines of "you smell good / thanks" without any further interaction. I took this thread as an opportunity to look back at the years.
    What type of spray count do you typically go with? I've never been one to draw in comments.

"I like reading about people getting complimented, but whenever I see a thread along the lines of "please suggest which one is best for compliments ...", I die on the inside a little"
    Lol
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    What type of spray count do you typically go with? I've never been one to draw in comments.
    I typically go with 7-10, especially when going out. Sometimes a bit more (especially something is not as strong) or less (if I'm staying in), depending on circumstances, but at least 3 sprays always. I had/have a 3 spray rule for going in to give a job interview (it has mostly been Grey Vetiver over the years but no longer have it; now I'd wear Vetiver Extraordinaire or Bel Respiro instead).

The only one that I've been asked about by someone other than my wife was Aventus. It really does have some sort of power to it.

At home, Terre d'Hermes always gets an extra comment.

I may have told this story before, but had a woman at a thrift store follow me and say something along the lines of "I hope this isn't too forward but I love your cologne. You smell like a man should smell."

TdH Parfum.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own.”
    - Fernando Pessoa

I typically go with 7-10, especially when going out. Sometimes a bit more (especially something is not as strong) or less (if I'm staying in), depending on circumstances, but at least 3 sprays always. I had/have a 3 spray rule for going in to give a job interview (it has mostly been Grey Vetiver over the years but no longer have it; now I'd wear Vetiver Extraordinaire or Bel Respiro instead).
    First of all, thanks for the detailed list, it‘s a joy to read!

About sprays... How much do you do on NYI and 1740 (the only 2 I also know and own)? I never exceeded 2/3 so far
    Searching for:
    Vintage Silver Mountain Water, Warner/Cosmair Polo Green, early l‘Air du Desert Marocain (rectangular or early blue bottle), Guerlain Derby

Well said!
    Searching for:
    Vintage Silver Mountain Water, Warner/Cosmair Polo Green, early l‘Air du Desert Marocain (rectangular or early blue bottle), Guerlain Derby

Quote Originally Posted by ThVH View Post
    First of all, thanks for the detailed list, it‘s a joy to read!

About sprays... How much do you do on NYI and 1740 (the only 2 I also know and own)? I never exceeded 2/3 so far
    Thanks, I think in either case it was around 7-10.

Thanks, I think in either case it was around 7-10.
    Wow! Thanks for the info!
    Searching for:

Kiehl's Musk oil -- My most complemented fragrance. I've had several guys at work, who know nothing about perfume, walk by me and ask me what I'm wearing so they can go buy it for their wives. And, you cannot beat the price.

Nirvana Rose/Elizabeth and James.... Guys tend to like this one as well. It' has an masculine/herbal touch to it so I think that's what their drawn to.

Guerlain Encens Mythique -- This is my favorite perfume EVER and I'm happy to say I receive complements on this as well.
    Currently wearing: Boy Chanel by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by car390 View Post
    have you ever been asked by a stranger or co-worker what scent you were wearing
    A co-worker once asked me if I was wearing women’s perfume. I was wearing CK One.
    Currently wearing: Davidoff by Davidoff

Basenotes Plus

One time I put on Ensar's Aroha Kyaku at work any my paralegal rushed to the phone and frantically started dialing 911 while asking me if I also smelled the fire/chemical leak.

Hah! Reading all these stories makes me feel like a liar! I forget very fast the situations in which I received the compliment. So I think. Now I’m remembering some few situations. Not with all this richness of details. I feel comfortable paying compliments, not receiving. This may be the reason my mind hide these situations from my memory.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Carioca by Granado

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    Kiehl's Musk oil -- My most complemented fragrance. I've had several guys at work, who know nothing about perfume, walk by me and ask me what I'm wearing so they can go buy it for their wives. And, you cannot beat the price.
    I hear this one mentioned a lot, but I don't think I've ever seen it in the UK, even though the brand is quite well known here and even has their own stores. Does anyone know if it is available in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    I hear this one mentioned a lot, but I don't think I've ever seen it in the UK, even though the brand is quite well known here and even has their own stores. Does anyone know if it is available in the UK?
    You can get it from John Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    You can get it from John Lewis.
    Thanks! And is this a conventional perfume with an atomiser or is it an oil in a roll-on? Or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Thanks! And is this a conventional perfume with an atomiser or is it an oil in a roll-on? Or something else?
    Conventional.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Basenotes Member LinePlaneVolume's Avatar
    MD > LA > NYC > Chicago > MSP > NYC > LA > Seattle

Aventus... Always, Aventus. That's what made me start questioning it ("this is too easy, what's going on here?")

A wonderful gift from my partner that started me down a rabbit hole.
    Currently wearing: Incendo by La Curie

Basenotes Plus

Only happened once, Aventus Cologne. A couple stopped me and asked what I was wearing and then wrote it down. She said, “I want you to smell like that” to her husband.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBuck View Post
    A co-worker once asked me if I was wearing women’s perfume. I was wearing CK One.
    lmao

Coromandel by Chanel has this effect repeatedly. I also remember it happening when I wore L’Instant de Guerlain. A few others are Hanae Mori EDT, Escale a Portofino, and Gieffeffe by Gianfranco Ferre.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Basenotes Junkie Alonewithcologne's Avatar

I received two very enthusiastic compliments on Dior Homme Cologne. If you want compliments, though, fountain pens garner me more than fragrance. It's courteous to smell pleasant around other people (as opposed to smelling bad), but fragrances rarely impress people very much. Wear them for yourself first, and for others second.

Got stopped by 3 girls, aged around 18-19 in a grocery store. Asked me what im wearing and that it smells amazing.
    It was my vintage bottle (silver cap) of Abercrombie Fierce. Yep, very cliché.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBuck View Post
    Wow! It’s funny to imagine a person who is already working and doesn’t know CK One. A Millenial maybe?
    Not hard to understand the question. CK One has strong floral notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Wow! It’s funny to imagine a person who is already working and doesn’t know CK One. A Millenial maybe?
    I think CK One has been forgotten. It was popular in the 90s and early 2000s, but nobody wears it today. Atleast I have never smelled it on the street for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by vd86 View Post
    I think CK One has been forgotten. It was popular in the 90s and early 2000s, but nobody wears it today. Atleast I have never smelled it on the street for a long time.
    It’s indeed not that common anymore, but I smelled it today.

Freed from BN Institution

The individuals at my workplace enjoy Pure Malt - one of the ones they always ask about whenever I've worn it.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Djedi by Guerlain