Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Knize Ten or Knize Ten Golden Edition?

Of the 2, which do you prefer?

I really like Knize Ten, but seeing the Golden Edition only a few bucks more, people are saying it is much better. How do they differ? Is Golden Edition a safe blind buy if I like the original?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Knize Ten or Knize Ten Golden Edition?

Too impulsive.. I bought the Golden Edition.. looks good!

Banned

I've never tried the new one. I only know that the original one is gorgeous.
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Haa, I like a move like that!
    Never tried Golden Edition myself. I own a semi-current bottle of regular K10 and though I like it a lot, there's something jarring in the mix (a note or combination of certain notes, I dunno). Still wear it, though, 'cause I really dig the florals in this. But from what I've read about K10GE I think I might like that even more than the regular one.
    And congrats! Let us know how you like it
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

The gold edition is quite a comedown from the glorious original Knize Ten. Basically they have stripped nearly all the floral's, citrus freshness, complexity and cut way back on the powder. And you get the leather front and centre with what smells like talc on top and this stays with you for a good while. Like the original the leather fades but instead of been left with the beautiful floral basenotes the slightly sweet talc aspect becomes more prominent.

It still smells great and if you do not care for the fresh powdery floral aspect of the original and just want the leather then this one will make you happy.

The original Knize Ten is like going to a concert and enjoying a orchestra playing complex musical compositions. Where as the Gold Edition is like going to your local pub/bar and listening to a talented karaoke singer. lol

So all in all it comes down to whether you want the whole show with the leather, floral's and complexity. Or you just want the leather and talc as it is a bit more masculine.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Chanel Cuir de Russie Edp/Extrait
    2. Chanel Coromandel Edp
    3. Chanel 1957 Edp
    4. Chypre Siam By Rogue Perfumery
    5. Eau de Guerlain

The original is much better, imo

Missing Oakmoss

I've got both (purchased around 2014), and I used to think I could tell the difference, but in the drydown they now smell the same to me and I think they're both good. Deep vintage Knize Ten would have been a whole different animal; still, this is a beautiful scent and I doubt you'd be dissatisfied with either of the current versions (fingers crossed that things haven't changed too much in the six years since I purchased mine).

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    The gold edition is quite a comedown from the glorious original Knize Ten. Basically they have stripped nearly all the floral's, citrus freshness, complexity and cut way back on the powder. And you get the leather front and centre with what smells like talc on top and this stays with you for a good while. Like the original the leather fades but instead of been left with the beautiful floral basenotes the slightly sweet talc aspect becomes more prominent.

It still smells great and if you do not care for the fresh powdery floral aspect of the original and just want the leather then this one will make you happy.

The original Knize Ten is like going to a concert and enjoying a orchestra playing complex musical compositions. Where as the Gold Edition is like going to your local pub/bar and listening to a talented karaoke singer. lol

So all in all it comes down to whether you want the whole show with the leather, floral's and complexity. Or you just want the leather and talc as it is a bit more masculine.
    I wear the (older versions) original already for quite some years but never got any citrus freshness out of it to be honest......flowers, leather, oakmoss and castoreum is all I get with a ambery vanilla combo popping up, later in the drydown.......
    Maybe slight hints of some citrus in the opening secs but fresh? No.......
    My Top '11':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Jacques Bogart: Furyo
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - VC&A: Pour Homme

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    = Deep vintage Knize Ten would have been a whole different animal; s=

My bottle was bought in 2008. Is that DEEP vintage? Please help!
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    I wear the (older versions) original already for quite some years but never got any citrus freshness out of it to be honest......flowers, leather, oakmoss and castoreum is all I get with a ambery vanilla combo popping up, later in the drydown.......
    Maybe slight hints of some citrus in the opening secs but fresh? No.......
    I do have decants of both the original and reformulated Knize ten, there is a slight freshness with one of them. Probably the newer one as the vintage has more of a dirty leather oil thing going on before the florals etc appear which has been cleaned up in the Gold Edition. But the point remains the same, the Gold edition has been stripped down compared to the both the vintage original and it's reformulated version.
    "There's No School Like The Old School."

My Current Favorites

1. Chanel Cuir de Russie Edp/Extrait
    2. Chanel Coromandel Edp
    3. Chanel 1957 Edp
    4. Chypre Siam By Rogue Perfumery
    5. Eau de Guerlain

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Bolkonsky View Post
    My bottle was bought in 2008. Is that DEEP vintage? Please help!
    No, considering that Knize Ten was introduced in 1924. Your 2008 bottle would still be considered more desirable than today's version, though, as there was a noticeable reformulation around 2010 (there are several threads about that).

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    No, considering that Knize Ten was introduced in 1924. Your 2008 bottle would still be considered more desirable than today's version, though, as there was a noticeable reformulation around 2010 (there are several threads about that).
    2014 it was.....

Lots of talk we had about this in:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/398...en-still-great
    My Top '11':

- Antaeus (vtg)

Golden Edition is basically a softer version, more floral than the original.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    2014 it was.....

Lots of talk we had about this in:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/398...en-still-great
    Thanks for the correction and for providing that link. My memory is not a thing to be trusted, these days!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Haa, I like a move like that!
    Never tried Golden Edition myself. I own a semi-current bottle of regular K10 and though I like it a lot, there's something jarring in the mix (a note or combination of certain notes, I dunno). Still wear it, though, 'cause I really dig the florals in this. But from what I've read about K10GE I think I might like that even more than the regular one.
    And congrats! Let us know how you like it
    I will definitely post my thoughts!

It seems to be mixed feelings, with some saying it's not florals and some saying it's more floral. There was another topic somebody asked this same question more or less, from a 2015 post, and the consensus was that it's more floral?

I was gonna get a 120 ml bottle for less in the long run, but I opted for the 75, since it costs less, in the event I dislike it, less spent.. but more per ml

I bought a decant probably about a year ago now, from a seller, but it wasn't on Ebay, ir was either Etsy or Mercari, problem is that I can't find it in my history on those sites, so I can't figure out when the formulation of it was from. It was Knize Ten, it was strong, with a noticeable petrol note, similar to Fahrenehit's, and that's what I really liked about it most. I didn't get any florals, or maybe I just didn't notice them. It was more about the leather and animalistic undertone. It was very strong too, with outstanding performance.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by avo1811 View Post
    The original is much better, imo
    Agree.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I heard the golden edition is closer to the original release, so nice purchase!
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs
    5. Creed Bois du Portugal

I've never tried vintage Knize Ten but, when comparing Golden Edition to a c. 2017 sample of the original, I found the Golden Edition to be a stripped-down version; it was fine but inferior to me in every aspect and everything (especially the florals) was very toned down. I'd probably like it far more if I had never tried regular Knize Ten.

If and only if there is either no possibility or a too high asking price required to get Golden Edition, Knize Ten can be enjoyable, as well as very nuanced and rich.
    Also fairly good value for money even if not the most inexpensive, in any version-irrespective if current or vintage.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Current versions : I own both, and also prefer Knize Ten to Golden Edition, on account of greater complexity and depth in the original. However, I'll happily use my 15ml bottle of Golden when I want a plain leather fix.
    An October rotation of vetiver, leather and forest notes: Etro Gomma and Vetiver; Hermes Equipage and Bel Ami; Caron Yatagan; Knize Ten; Jacomo Jacomo de Jacomo; Lalique Encre Noire; Gucci Guilty Absolute; CdG Black; Puig Quorum, TF Noir Anthracite.

But the point remains the same, the Gold edition has been stripped down compared to the both the vintage original and it's reformulated version.
    Never doubted this, though I unfortunately never smelled the Golden edition.
    My Top '11':

- Antaeus (vtg)

Blog Entries

After having Golden Edition a few days now, I really like it. I think I like it better than the original for a couple reasons. One, it's more subtle and better balanced. Although I love the power of the original, even in its current formulation, it can be overwhelming, and I notice that heavy leather notes tend to go down people's throats a lot, and cause a bad reaction. To me, there is nothing worse than someone getting a whiff of my frag, and being uncomfortable, coughing, itchy/watering eyes, or sometimes even choking. Although this is more subtle, I still get a full bodied leather note, like in the original. Two, the dry down is fantastic! It's a sweet vanilla-ish incense, and it's just awesome. 3. It's well made and well blended. I think even better blended than the original, more refined, more smooth, and even more masculine, with more restrained florals. I really only get jasmine in the middle. As someone who doesn't like jasmine, it smells great here. The bad.. one.. I'm gonna go through this bottle really fast. For the price per ml, it's pretty expensive. The performance is good, but not as good as Knize Ten. Two, it's limited availability makes it harder to find. I never knew this even existed, let alone came out about 2 decades ago. It's not readily available (nor is Knize Ten, but still much easier to find). Though knowing a little bit about the Knize brand, and their devotion to staying loyal to their fans, I don't think it will ever be discontinued, unless there's an apocalypse or something, but it will be limited.

Bottom line.. it's a very good leather dominated frag, with an old school leather smell, without the powerhouse feel. It's strong but if you do 2 sprays, you shouldn't bother anyone who is sensitive to leather notes. It's overpriced, but tbh, there really just aren't many good authentic smelling leather frags out there, very few in designers, and not many niche either. Knize knocks it out of the ball park, not once, but twice. I also think I might wind up buying a bottle of Knize Ten too, because I find them different enough to own both.

Missing Oakmoss

Glad you're enjoying the Golden Edition. Knize Ten is just so good, in both versions - a joy to wear. Agree that less is more.

I was recently between the two and decided on Knize Ten. I just liked how it developed more than the gold edition but I think I would be satisfied with the Gold Edition as well. With these two you really can't go wrong.