Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Re: Tell us a fragrance you can't get how others love

Totally agree with New York Intense and BdP, reminds me of old men in a nursing home, not for me.

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    Totally agree with New York Intense and BdP, reminds me of old men in a nursing home, not for me.
    Hey, I resemble that remark!
    Currently wearing: J'ai Osé by J'ai Osé

Ackkkkkk!!!!!

LOL...not there yet.
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Dependent

Never ceases to amaze me how different peoples noses are. But, then again, I despise Thai food and most Indian food makes me want to puke also. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here who love both cuisines. Quite a few of my all-time favorites have been mentioned here (fragrances I consider "masterpieces"), especially Egoiste, Bois du Portugal, and Dior Homme Parfum, but also Reflection Man, Aventus, and Baccarat Rouge... I love those frags not because any of them have been "hyped" to me, or because of marketing - I like them because I honestly love the way they smell. I wouldn't reach for them time after time if I didn't 100% enjoy the wearing.

But there are plenty that I don't find pleasant that many others fawn over. Green Irish Tweed falls into this category. Lyric Man. Silver Mountain Water. Guerlain Heritage and Habit Rouge. I could probably go on but those are just a few off the top of my head that others gush over that I don't care for at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    But there are plenty that I don't find pleasant that many others fawn over. Green Irish Tweed falls into this category. Lyric Man. Silver Mountain Water. Guerlain Heritage and Habit Rouge. I could probably go on but those are just a few off the top of my head that others gush over that I don't care for at all.
    I make you right -- especially GIT and Heritage

I sometimes wonder if there is some Basenotes peer pressure at play here, i.e.to like certain iconic fragrances?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I make you right -- especially GIT and Heritage

I sometimes wonder if there is some Basenotes peer pressure at play here, i.e.to like certain iconic fragrances?
    Naw...plenty of iconics are getting pissed on here...
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    There might be, subconsciously. But I think most of us embrace and reject scents case-by-case, even if we lust for untried ones based on other people’s opinions. I was surprised how little I liked GIT and Habit Rouge, and just as much by how much I did like Héritage. On balance, my social status is probably neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark!
    Of course! You own a nursing home franchise. I remember when you told you was about to close a deal with Hermès to scent the rooms, bathrooms towels and have all the Un Jardin Sur Le Nil stuff in your franchise.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

There might be, subconsciously. But I think most of us embrace and reject scents case-by-case, even if we lust for untried ones based on other people’s opinions. I was surprised how little I liked GIT and Habit Rouge, and just as much by how much I did like Héritage. On balance, my social status is probably neutral.
    It isn't. Trust me. For disliking Habit Rouge you start the game with -1000 points on your score. If you dislike Egoiste, add -500 to this score.
    I never liked a cross anyway.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    It isn't. Trust me. For disliking Habit Rouge you start the game with -1000 points on your score. If you dislike Egoiste, add -500 to this score.
    I never liked a cross anyway.
    I don't particularly like any of GIT, HR, Aventus, Royal Oud, Heritage, Egoiste, Naxos, Givenchy Pi, Tuscan Leather. Which all seem to be pretty popular on Basenotes. I'm not keeping score anymore

^^ Thank you for writing that because I was left wondering--what do these posts mean?
    Who keeps scores... but more so, why would you keep scores?

I use to like Heritage, made my younger sibling wear it since I liked how it smelled on him. (I don't wear perfume per se.)
    And then, something about the new version's intense balsamic-sweetness got to me. And now, I may understand why others like it it, I just can't summon up the enthusiasm.

Givenchy Pi, after the first encounter, I turned over the bottle to a friend (perfumer) and asked him, why? Why does everyone like it?
    He said, its just not your thing. With perfumers you learn, they say so little and what they say, pay close attention.
    I said, its tonka-aura, the benzoin and some wood inside it makes me gag... that made him laugh.
    He again said, its just not "your thing", you want a chypre to come at you with its shrieking, lay siege to your emotions.... but not all can do that, now can they?
    I realized he knew me better than myself in context of perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    I don't particularly like any of GIT, HR, Aventus, Royal Oud, Heritage, Egoiste, Naxos, Givenchy Pi, Tuscan Leather. Which all seem to be pretty popular on Basenotes. I'm not keeping score anymore
    From this list I just like Heritage and TL. Now Pi is a skeleton of what it was. I liked it back in the day. I think our noses aren't trained enough. lol. We gotta spend some time in Grasse.

For disliking Habit Rouge you start the game with -1000 points on your score. If you dislike Egoiste, add -500 to this score.
    No, I like Égoïste. It's Platinum Égoïste I dislike.

Of course not. You have no points left to keep score with.

But then, the way BN scorekeeping goes, you also lose if you only like popular scents. You have to swear by at least one fragrance nobody else likes. Bonus points if you bring it up in every thread you post in: e.g., "I like that movie, too! I was layering Sécrétions Magnifiques with Paris Hilton Siren when I saw it."

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    May I assume this was meant to be sarcastic?
    Without capitalism you'd have none of the perfume you love so much...

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    Without capitalism you'd have none of the perfume you love so much...
    That was my first thought.

Funny thing, a friend of mine was about to try some new fragrances I got, among them BdP. We talked about it as Nursing home du Portugal.

No offense to the fans. I got some older fragrances that I love, this just doesn't suit me.

Banned

Green Irish Tweed. Cool Water poisoning ruined it for me. Obsession. Makes me feel sick.

Blog Entries

For me,its Millesime Imperial.i really just don't get the hype.maybe i have a very weak 2019 batch or something.I would take D and G light blue intense over 5x the price creed juice every time.sorry...

Of course not. You have no points left to keep score with.

But then, the way BN scorekeeping goes, you also lose if you only like popular scents. You have to swear by at least one fragrance nobody else likes. Bonus points if you bring it up in every thread you post in: e.g., "I like that movie, too! I was layering Sécrétions Magnifiques with Paris Hilton Siren when I saw it."
    You also get points if you routinely champion scents that are so unavailable nobody you recommend them to can possibly source them without hunting for years and spending a small fortune.

'Tis a silly place.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    You also get points if you routinely champion scents that are so unavailable nobody you recommend them to can possibly source them without hunting for years and spending a small fortune.

'Tis a silly place.
    Third place pet peeve right there.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Anymore? That was fast, lol. A few weeks in and the place is that predictable.

We gotta spend some time in Grasse.
    Only for the murders and the orgy

Basenotes Institution

Too many

Vetiver Extreme and Original Santal are both horror shows in my opinion.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mistersurgery View Post
    Vetiver Extreme and Original Santal are both horror shows in my opinion.
    To me, Original Santal is a very easy wear. A lovely sandalwood note.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

'Tis a silly place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    While we're all busy throwing shade, I'll mention I know exactly what you're talking about, and have culprits muted for that alongside the quadruplicate SOTD posts in literally every single thread, alongside a host of other things that scare off new users. *sigh*
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

One scent that nobody likes but every once in a while that I see someone saying they love it & I just lose it! Like I take it personal! It's Secretions Magnifique

I think it's obvious SM was a marketing gesture, and a genius one, Antoine Lie very consciously made a perfume so awful-smelling that'd put ELdO's name (along with his own) out there as the one with the boldest worst perfume ever, publicity is what they got with no commercial budget, "now that I've got your attention let me show you our real perfumes", so I don't get when people say good things about SM. Even Lie himself knew how repulsive this is. The marketing saying it smells like orgies or cum, we all know that's not the case, they went all in to make it bad and even though my taste is open to the creepiest ideas I will never get those who like Secretions Magnifique. I even have a hard time believing they do!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    While we're all busy throwing shade, I'll mention I know exactly what you're talking about, and have culprits muted for that alongside the quadruplicate SOTD posts in literally every single thread, alongside a host of other things that scare off new users. *sigh*
    Somehow, this always happens in a thread called 'Recommend me a mainstream designer cheapie.'

Basenotes Plus

Anything that smells of fuel, smoke or too much amber.

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    I don't understand how anybody could wear and even love Invictus. Worst of the worst on earth.
    100% agree and I'd add the original 1 Million and any of its many flankers; absolutely horrid!
    My current top 10 (subject to change) in no particular order:

Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Essenza di Zegna, Armani Privé Sable Or, Armani Privé Nuances, Shalimar EDP, Kouros Tattoo, Tom Ford Soleil Blanc, Bond No.9 Jones Beach, Bond No.9 Dubai Amethyst, Chanel Jersey.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast