Code of Conduct

Default Anybody have thoughts on WatchMaxx???

I see an Oris watch there I really like. Anybody know why/how they are so much cheaper than all others?

Any "watch heads" know if they are reputable? Issues with gray market watches?
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Default Re: Anybody have thoughts on WatchMaxx???

They are most definitely a gray-market dealer. They even state on their site that they are not authorized dealers. I give them credit for saying that so that one can make an informed decision.

Gray-market can be OK, depending on a number of factors. You'll almost definitely get the watch you expect. If you encounter the rare situation when you don't get what you ordered, and they refuse to make it right, you can always dispute the charge with your card issuer. You'll also certainly pay significantly less than you would for the same watch from an authorized dealer. Just because it's not purchased from an authorized dealer doesn't mean that it's not a genuine watch.

The downside to the gray market is that you will not get a manufacturer's warranty. Any warranty you get will be from the dealer you bought it from, which almost always requires any warranty claims be handled through them and only them. That can be expensive, since it'll be almost certainly on you, the purchaser, to cover the postage/shipping back to them. You may also encounter issues down the road when trying to get the watch serviced - in many cases, official service centers for the brand will refuse to service watches that weren't purchased from an authorized dealer. Also, the resale value will be lower since anyone you sell it to will have to deal with these same downsides.

Whether it's a good decision for you depends on a number of factors, mainly: is the savings worth the potential downsides, for you? I probably wouldn't suggest buying gray market for a $5k+ watch, but maybe for something lower-priced. For example - a Hamilton Khaki Field that has an MSRP of $500 can be had on gray market sites for $350-400. In all likelihood, you'd be able to get that serviced at a local watch shop. A $10k Rolex? probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by swangner View Post
    The downside to the gray market is that you will not get a manufacturer's warranty. Any warranty you get will be from the dealer you bought it from, which almost always requires any warranty claims be handled through them and only them. That can be expensive, since it'll be almost certainly on you, the purchaser, to cover the postage/shipping back to them. You may also encounter issues down the road when trying to get the watch serviced - in many cases, official service centers for the brand will refuse to service watches that weren't purchased from an authorized dealer. Also, the resale value will be lower since anyone you sell it to will have to deal with these same downsides.

Whether it's a good decision for you depends on a number of factors, mainly: is the savings worth the potential downsides, for you? I probably wouldn't suggest buying gray market for a $5k+ watch, but maybe for something lower-priced. For example - a Hamilton Khaki Field that has an MSRP of $500 can be had on gray market sites for $350-400. In all likelihood, you'd be able to get that serviced at a local watch shop. A $10k Rolex? probably not.
    I'd push back a little on that. For example, op said he's interested in an Oris which is almost certainly an ETA movement so servicing wouldn't drown him. No I wouldn't buy a Rolex from watchmaxx, but i wouldn't mind purchasing a more expensive omega, or even Glashutte for 5 or 6k from watchmaxx if it was unworn and it came with those 20 to 30% discounts.

warranties are nice, but if you're in the position to buy 5, 6, 7 thousand dollar or more watch, you're probably not going to cry about a $800 service bill 2 or 3 years later. at least i wouldn't. I paid $500 to service my Oris Artix chronograph. My tudor i can't speak to because it has a 5 year warranty and i've only had it 10 months.
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Apple Brandy by By Kilian

I wasn't pointing out the lack of manufacturer's warranty in regards to servicing - that's probably a wash. I was pointing it out more for the purposes of defects or repairs. With a manufacturer's warranty you would generally have more flexibility, where with a warranty only from the gray market dealer, you're locked into them as the one and only place to go in case something is actually wrong with the watch.

As I said, whether or not gray market is the way to go for any particular purchase is a matter of how comfortable the buyer is with the compromises buying gray market imposes on you. I wouldn't presume to make the decision for anybody but myself. I tried just to point out the pros and cons, so the OP could make an informed decision for themselves.

For the record, you're probably correct about the ability to get a watch with an ETA movement serviced without a hassle.

Thanks for the replies guys. You can kind of bear out what I thought.

If you're not looking at very pricey stuff, you're probably ok with grey market.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.