Code of Conduct

Default Assistance with Imperial oud please

Hello users, connoisseurs and experts,

Starting a post to ask about Imperial oud. How is the house overall? How is their oud? High quality, any comparison to other artisansworks, worth the money? Also, how about attars? I am in search of a rose musk attar that would be similar to rojas aoud perfume which is a super lush rose to me. In search of more natural option i noticed that Imperial oud has Al Mashriq. Please share your experience with it.
    Also, any similarity between crasna laos 2016 and ensars oud extraordinare?
    Finally, Ceylon royale 2, how is it?

Thank you very much

Basenotes Junkie

Default Re: Assistance with Imperial oud please

Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    Hello users, connoisseurs and experts,

Starting a post to ask about Imperial oud. How is the house overall? How is their oud? High quality, any comparison to other artisansworks, worth the money? Also, how about attars? I am in search of a rose musk attar that would be similar to rojas aoud perfume which is a super lush rose to me. In search of more natural option i noticed that Imperial oud has Al Mashriq. Please share your experience with it.
    Also, any similarity between crasna laos 2016 and ensars oud extraordinare?
    Finally, Ceylon royale 2, how is it?

Thank you very much
    They get a lot of love over on the Ouddict forum. Really anything Oud/Attar/mukullat related you should check out Ouddict. I believe Imperial Oud is a resident artisan and you can speak directly with them along with anyone else who has dealt with them.
    Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

I did check the site and unfortunately couldnt find much discussion wise, more so some descriptions on SOTD.
    Still looking for reviews and comparison.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    I did check the site and unfortunately couldnt find much discussion wise, more so some descriptions on SOTD.
    Still looking for reviews and comparison.
    https://ouddict.com/search/13865020/...ial+Oud&o=date

This link should take you to several pages of people discussing dozens of different types of oil from Imperial Oud. On Ouddict a lot of the reviews are in the comments talking about what they wore which days or generalized review threads. I see people almost everyday talking about that company. They’re also included under the resident artisans section where people discuss their oils as well.

Also you can always make a post on Ouddict because it’ll have much more traction than over here. In fact the owner of Imperial Oud might answer any questions you have directly.
    Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

Imperial Oud is fantastic. Good quality, fair price. I suggest paying for samples before ordering but then ordering fast as they don’t have huge stocks of individual oils. The single finest oil in my stash I got from them and I have been smelling oud form the luxury vendors for about 15 years now. Also La Madison Khenata keeps getting rave reviews for price and quality. With these guys you are not paying so much for their name or brand as you would be with Ensar or other more self-promoting, heavy marketing vendors. I feel these guys are up and coming and willing to price things more reasonably. I have nothing to add as far as your questions about blends or current stock as I have not ordered from them in a while. My experience is that these folks price things that might sell for $600 plus from agar aura or ensar for maybe 1/2 the price. I could be wrong

I have samples from IO of both. The Laos is a great value for the money, I highly recommend it. It’s very nice for a cultivated oil and the price is excellent. When I saw you mentioned Roja Aoud I put some Al Mashriq on next to Roja Amber Oud and they are somewhat similar. If you are looking for a great natural Rose Oud, this is as good as it’s going to get. Reach out to them. They are very quick to respond and very kind. They will send samples to you and they arrive as fast as most of my Amazon shipments. One/two day shipping generally. My recommendation is to grab 1 gram of the Laos, and ask for a couple samples of their Oud and attars. My personal favorite right now from IO is Yunnan Vintage. It’s an excellent oil. Make sure to get a sample if you like Chinese Ouds.

Full disclosure. I am a bit of a newbie, but I have become an unapologetic Agar Aura fan, but I wanted to help out a little here. Both Al Mashriq is worth a buy and so is the Laos oil FOR SURE.

Feel free to reach out via message with any more questions—I’ll help the best I can.

Z

Al Mashriq is a beautiful Musk, Sandal, Rose, Oud and Saffron maceration oil. But it has nothing to do with the scent profile one smells in Roja's. Second, it is not a typical rose centered oil at all.

Ensar's Sultan Leather Attar and Sultan Rose Attar are to be sampled.

Areej Le Dore's Walima Attar and Malik Al Taif are good choices. The later one most probably meets your requirements: Rose, Musk and Roja.

JK's Attar Al Khalifa is highly refined Taif Rose based attar. But it is Rose Sandal and Oud based, no musk.

Thank you for replies and advise.

@ Rai I did try sultan leather and have eo1 pp, but its not my jam while it is still nice. Rose attar didnt try.

I do have walimah attar and i like it its like stewed ripe flower elixir with henna like background, but malik al taif was not good at all, it was more like rose otto with tiny background noise from musk and out, but my skin didnt amplify anything but rose which wasnt as lush as in rojas. So i sold it.

@Zeedubbya laos oil - how can you describe it? Does it have that cherry vive as described by the house?

Thank you

Basenotes Member

I thought Iíd post some impressions of some Imperial Oud oils in this thread for anyone that is interested (or cares). These are the thoughts of a novice in the world of oud. However, I like to think my nose has been well trained! Iíve worn each of these 2 or 3 times.

Koh Kong Imperiale
    This is probably my favourite of the three that Iíve tried. The opening is stunning with a very smooth feeling of fresh air and light. I get hints of something like yeast and that fresh air is enhanced by a minty note. After a little while, I can imagine an expensive varnish in a furniture shop that has some incense burning in a back room. In the dry down, I start to pick up lemon and fruit and something that reminds me of a rubber wetsuit (in a good way!). My girlfriend has enjoyed some of the ouds that Iíve given her to try, but she didnít like this one. There were strong food elements to her: saffron like in a Milanese risotto, stock cubes and broth, and the feeling that one is in the kitchen making an Italian Sunday lunch. I can see her point and have to work hard to avoid those associations; but I think this is a wonderful smell that others might enjoy even more than I do.
    Yunan Vintage
    This opens with a bitter bang, a strong smell of glue, plastic, and something medicinal. However, that doesnít last for longer than half an hour on my skin; things move to a hospital ward where I can sense bandages and a get a strong memory of my schoolís first aid room! Next comes a brown leather note and a rich smell that joins the bitterness. The Imperial Oud site describes the oil as having notes of ďroasted coffee, caramel, and soft floralsĒ Honestly, I donít get any of those things yet (they might come as my nose develops the skills needed for analysing oud I imagine). The dry down is much smoother and familiar with how I know oud. GF and friends have been put off my the smell from the vial and havenít wanted to apply it on skin!
    Crassna (Laos)
    This is the cheapest of the three that Iíve tested and, for me, an oil that lots of people could appreciate. It opens with a sticky sensation, having something sweet that reminds me of Middle Eastern desserts. The smell is clear and radiates off the skin well. Woody and medicinal notes dominate to my nose. Red fruits and cherries dance in and out of wood and something camphorous starts to build alongside a ginger tea association that I make. In the sillage (thatís strong) thereís almost a boozy note. After an hour, things are bright and minty; in a way I havenít experienced from oud before. The dry down becomes increasingly fruity and there are citrus elements too. The IO website and Brendan from Therapeutic Fragrance on Youtube mention this being a great beginners oud and I can totally see what they mean. I just think that perhaps Iíve already developed a taste for something rich and woody, without the fruit and ďaccessibleĒ elements.

Overall, this was a fascinating experience. Iím truly falling into the oud rabbit hole and IO seems the best place to start for someone in Europe/UK. I canít wait to try more. A sample of their Al Maghrib attar was kindly included in my package and I canít wait to give it a full wearing.

Thank you so much Tilt, i really appreciate your input
    Had a good laugh at the line: "GF and friends have been put off my the smell from the vial and haven’t wanted to apply it on skin!"

Crassna laos does sound appealing, can you tell me how strong is the varnish note in it if any at all? Thanks

Basenotes Member

Hi Mak-7! Glad I gave you something to chuckle about I love seeing other peopleís reactions to ouds and I find that they are often far more positive than I might expect.

I swiped a bit of the crassna on half an hour ago to see if I can help answer your question about a varnish note. At the start, yes there is that smell in there and seems to dominate the early sillage. Itís a dark type of varnish to my nose. However, things get lighter as time goes by; Iíd describe the middle notes as being bright, minty, and with a golden fruity sweetness. In my notes from the first wearing I wrote about brown leathery woods.

How do you feel about that varnish element found in a lot of ouds? My thoughts are generally positive if it doesnít get too chemical-like.

Abdullah from Mellifluence wrote something interesting in his description of Sylhet Supreme:
    ďI encounter this aroma in the finest ouds, when i showed my father some of these, he immediately said "it smells like paint". He is a painter so that is his point of reference, but i understand the note he picked up on, and it is this particular note i have difficulty in conveying without simply saying it smells like paint.
    I notice this same scent in Ensar Oud Kyara Ko Twe, it is almost indescribable. I can relate it to tanin and new leather somewhat, but that doesn't cover it.
    It is an incredibly rich woody note that has aspects of the scent of varnish, without any of the toxic aroma.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by Tilt View Post
    Hi Mak-7! Glad I gave you something to chuckle about I love seeing other people’s reactions to ouds and I find that they are often far more positive than I might expect.

I swiped a bit of the crassna on half an hour ago to see if I can help answer your question about a varnish note. At the start, yes there is that smell in there and seems to dominate the early sillage. It’s a dark type of varnish to my nose. However, things get lighter as time goes by; I’d describe the middle notes as being bright, minty, and with a golden fruity sweetness. In my notes from the first wearing I wrote about brown leathery woods.

How do you feel about that varnish element found in a lot of ouds? My thoughts are generally positive if it doesn’t get too chemical-like.
    I find the note a little hit and miss with me tbh. It's one of the reasons why I prefer (for the most part) Oud in attar/Mukhallats/perfume extrait format, than wearing it plain.
    Currently wearing: Iris Ghalia by Ensar Oud

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sultan al Hindi View Post
    I find the note a little hit and miss with me tbh. It's one of the reasons why I prefer (for the most part) Oud in attar/Mukhallats/perfume extrait format, than wearing it plain.
    I imagine that’s where I’ll end up after I’ve managed to explore a wide range of ouds from different regions. Doing this has certainly given me an even higher appreciation of ouds in attars and extraits that I have (Sultan Pasha for example).
    I can imagine that varnish note being the element that makes a lot of oud lovers’ eyes roll into the back of their head though. There’s something addictive about it

I imagine that’s where I’ll end up after I’ve managed to explore a wide range of ouds from different regions. Doing this has certainly given me an even higher appreciation of ouds in attars and extraits that I have (Sultan Pasha for example).
    I can imagine that varnish note being the element that makes a lot of oud lovers’ eyes roll into the back of their head though. There’s something addictive about it
    Yes, that along with the oudy camphorus note can send you straight into nirvana haha.
    For me, the varnish note is most tolerable in Malaysian Ouds, which I find to be one of the most beautiful types when of a high quality.

How do these ouds compare to Agar Aura, Aggarwood Assam, Ensar, Feel Oud, Rising Phoenix etc. ? They seem slightly less expensive.
    Currently wearing: MAAI by Bogue Profumo

Basenotes Member

Yes, that along with the oudy camphorus note can send you straight into nirvana haha.
    For me, the varnish note is most tolerable in Malaysian Ouds, which I find to be one of the most beautiful types when of a high quality.
    Any Malaysian ouds in particular that you’d recommend? The only one I have is Mutahid by Habzoud which is co-distillation of Malay malacensis and Malay crassna. Very brown, woody, resinous, and that varnish note that’s really nice in this (dark).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    How do these ouds compare to Agar Aura, Aggarwood Assam, Ensar, Feel Oud, Rising Phoenix etc. ? They seem slightly less expensive.
    I’ll have to defer to others on that. I’ve had some problems with Italian customs ordering from outside Europe so I’ll be sticking with EU/UK suppliers at the moment. Imperial Oud, Habzoud, OudBase, La Maison Khenata, and Al Hashimi will be the focus for me in the coming year.

How do you feel about that varnish element found in a lot of ouds? My thoughts are generally positive if it doesn’t get too chemical-like.
    I do enjoy industrial smells, gasoline, paint, fumes from cutting metal etc. Varnish note in oud though, depends what else is in the background. I find that sometimes varnish note is in conflict with rest of oud notes, but similar to Sultan, i find menthol or camphor note attractive and even more so in combination with varnish, then it really plays out well with me

In terms of quality, IO have produced oils (such as their Fragrant Harbour Imperial and Ceylon Royale 1&2) that can hang with the best of what the aforementioned brands have released.

They're a well respected brand and the guys behind it are super cool too.Would definitely recommend them to anyone interested in sampling their offerings.

- - - Updated - - -

Any Malaysian ouds in particular that you’d recommend? The only one I have is Mutahid by Habzoud which is co-distillation of Malay malacensis and Malay crassna. Very brown, woody, resinous, and that varnish note that’s really nice in this (dark).
    - - - Updated - - -

I'v not been able to try anything from Habzoud yet, but from past dealings Al Shareef Oudh has some of the best Malaysian ouds in the business today.

The most recent Malay I tried was Tian Long from Le Maison Khenata. It hasn't officially been released yet but if you're ordering anything from him anytime soon, be sure to ask after it.His Indonesian Gyrinops 0 was my oud of the year and is a fabulous choice if you're after something resinous, earthy, non fecal that smells very close to the heated wood.

P.S OudBase has some real heavy hitters atm like Funkmeister, Suvanda Forest and Thai P incase you're interested.

Thanks Sultan al Hind... so they lean more towards the artisan side and less traditional?

Thanks Sultan al Hind... so they lean more towards the artisan side and less traditional?
    Depends on how you define it, but if you're asking in terms of whether they travel to source and distill their own wood, then yes they are!
    Last edited by Sultan al Hindi; 20th August 2020 at 07:56 AM.

Depends on how you define the term, but if you're asking in terms of whether they travel to source and distill their own wood, then yes they are!
    Appreciate the info!

Basenotes Member

I'v not been able to try anything from Habzoud yet, but from past dealings Al Shareef Oudh has some of the best Malaysian ouds in the business today.

The most recent Malay I tried was Tian Long from Le Maison Khenata. It hasn't officially been released yet but if you're ordering anything from him anytime soon, be sure to ask after it.His Indonesian Gyrinops 0 was my oud of the year and is a fabulous choice if you're after something resinous, earthy, non fecal that smells very close to the heated wood.

P.S OudBase has some real heavy hitters atm like Funkmeister, Suvanda Forest and Thai P incase you're interested.
    Thanks a lot for the info on Tian Long. Gyrinops 0 is in my Etsy basket so Iíll be sure to email before ordering. I definitely want to try a range of oils from OudBase too