Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Fake testers in perfume shops in France

A while back I started my fragrance journey and of course I begun with designer frags.
    One day I went to a shop to smell new stuff and I sprayed a few scents and they all seemed dull and very similar, like a generic smell of nothingness.
    This seemed strange, so I tried a perfume I own and know very well : Chrome Pure, And the smell was completely different ! Like nothing alike at all.
    So my conclusion is that in some fragrances shops they put fake testers because a lot of people who just wanna try but never buy, so it costs them an arm in perfume.

this happenned to me in Paris as well in a very popular shop with a lot of people passing by : the perfumes smelled like nothing

but is it ethical to put other scents than the real one for people who WILL buy ?

Jeff

Default Re: Fake testers in perfume shops in France

This doesn't really make any sense. How are people going to be encouraged to buy a bottle if the testers are all essentially fake?

I've heard the opposite - that they put out versions of the perfume that are stronger and smell better - but never this.

Perhaps your sense of smell was just having an off day?

Default Fake testers in perfume shops in France

I also find this hard to believe, no offense.
    At least reputable, established brand shops (Douglas et. al.) would not do such a thing I think.

Don‘t they get the testers supplied by the perfume house anyways?

I know what you mean though, at my local store, there’s always a person hovering the Creeds and the Marlys, making sure you feel uncomfortable spraying too much. The designer section not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Fugufish View Post
    I also find this hard to believe, no offense.
    At least reputable, established brand shops (Douglas et. al.) would not do such a thing I think.

Don‘t they get the testers supplied by the perfume house anyways?

I know what you mean though, at my local store, there’s always a person hovering the Creeds and the Marlys, making sure you feel uncomfortable spraying too much. The designer section not so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yeah I don't understand it either, this makes no sense, except that they save on perfumes. And it was all designer shops, not niche. This would not work with trained nose. But with uintrained masculine nose that don't smell the difference between two scents, it might work.

also i'm taking about MALE frags, I didn't test female ones.

Also I noticed that in 4 different shops (3 in my hometown and 1 in Paris). And one shop came back to their senses since and put real perfumes back.

my nose wasn't dead, i ruled out that possibility, the perfumes were smelling, just not the right perfume. Not even a diluted version, just something else.

I noticed in my fav shiop (the one that came to reason) ONE perfume smelled legit, it was Pi by Givenchy, but you may notice that the juice is visible in the bottle, so replacing the juice by a fake transparent one would not cut it. That's what makes me think it is real.

Also I smelled at four different occasions so..

Jeff

Maybe they have just gone bad due to standing for too long in the light and heat.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    Maybe they have just gone bad due to standing for too long in the light and heat.
    nope because as I said, one shop came back to reason and put real perfumes back in the bottles a few days after i came

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post

Perhaps your sense of smell was just having an off day?
    My guess also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    My guess also.
    when you're nose blind, you're not smelling anything. That was not the case, the perfumes were smelling ok. but like blend, And as I said I tried PI and it was the only one that was smelling "something", not some generic crap. So.... explain that. I went noseblind, and not noseblind for a second just when I smelled Pi ??? gaslighting

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by ionone View Post
    when you're nose blind, you're not smelling anything. That was not the case, the perfumes were smelling ok. but like blend, And as I said I tried PI and it was the only one that was smelling "something", not some generic crap. So.... explain that. I went noseblind, and not noseblind for a second just when I smelled Pi ??? gaslighting
    Although one can completely go temporarily nose blind from smelling too many fragrances during a short period of time, it is more likely for one's sense of smell to get temporarily diminished, weakened, and dulled. This is probably what happened if I had to guess. Or maybe your sense of smell is really weak and you're slightly anosmic.

As someone else said, brands often put out better (more intense, stronger character) versions of their fragrances for people to test, so I don't think that the testers you smelled were fake. That seems a bit backwards.

I hope this helps!!

Very strange. Even for making costs lower, I don’t see the logic behind this. It’s pretty stupid unless I’m missing something. The average Joe CAN know if that perfume is his Sauvage or just a Sausage. Sometimes they are more mistrustful than us.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

If this was just one shop might guess that someone working there "borrrowed" some and replaced it with cheapest dreck, but given four shops seems to look at most common denominator....
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    Although one can completely go temporarily nose blind from smelling too many fragrances during a short period of time, it is more likely for one's sense of smell to get temporarily diminished, weakened, and dulled. This is probably what happened if I had to guess. Or maybe your sense of smell is really weak and you're slightly anosmic.

As someone else said, brands often put out better (more intense, stronger character) versions of their fragrances for people to test, so I don't think that the testers you smelled were fake. That seems a bit backwards.

I hope this helps!!
    i've NEVER gone noseblind in my entire life, not even a little bit. Even now that I smell perfumes two times a day
    and when I begun my frag journey (the same time I visited the stores) I wasn't using perfumes almost at all. So how could my nose gone blind ?

People in perfume shops just come to try perfumes without intentions of buying. They can empty one bottle in a few minutes. Especially male perfumes.

Someone just visited all the designer perfume shop owners and sold them a trick to save a lot of money. maybe it's a legal flaw and it's legal in France to do so
    And i'll repeat myself : the perfume WERE smelling ok ? I was smelling something, just apart from Pi (that I knew) they were all smelling like bad, stale perfumes with no backbone, not horrible, but really not the real stuff

I KNOW what I smelled

Can you tell which store? I don't find any reason why would someone do that, I know PdM and Montale have stronger testers than their real offerings (well you can have your Montales enhanced to the same level if you buy from their own boutique) but no I don't believe they'd put fakes which are obviously inferior as a tester, they are there to convince you buy not the other way around.

Basenotes Junkie

it's in France
    this one has since gone back to reason and put real perfumes in:
    https://www.nocibe.fr/parfumeries/saint-malo-cv/1172
    this one I went recently and has still fake testers
    https://www.bpdm-beaute.com/centre/s...e-la-madeleine
    this one I visited in Paris, in a very busy environment
    https://www.nocibe.fr/parfumeries/pa...des-halles/366

hmm I just realized they are ALL Nocibé
    this might be a clue right there because i've tried a Sephora and it wasn't fake testers

Jeff

Dependent

And i'll repeat myself : the perfume WERE smelling ok ? I was smelling something, just apart from Pi (that I knew) they were all smelling like bad, stale perfumes with no backbone, not horrible, but really not the real stuff
    Hmmmmmm. Maybe your tastes have changed and you now like more sophisticated and complex fragrances than you used to. In my opinion, most modern designer fragrances smell exactly like how you described: no backbone, bad, stale, not horrible (except for some), but not really good either. Some days I love certain fragrances, and some days I don't. Maybe when you're in the store it just depends what mood of fragrance you're in and that effects how you feel about the fragrances that you're smelling.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Interesting story, Jeff. I'm glad to hear Sephora isn't suspected of using fake testers.

If you're sure they're fake, the sales associates would also know, unless they're new, so you could ask them about it.

My French isn't good enough to pull off that conversation, but I wish. In an English-speaking country, that is the only thing I would be talking to the staff about. I'd probably snap some pictures of the fake testers. Do they even bother matching the color of the juice?

The story sounds too incredible - c'est pas possible.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    This doesn't really make any sense.
    I must concur.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    Hmmmmmm. Maybe your tastes have changed and you now like more sophisticated and complex fragrances than you used to. In my opinion, most modern designer fragrances smell exactly like how you described: no backbone, bad, stale, not horrible (except for some), but not really good either. Some days I love certain fragrances, and some days I don't. Maybe when you're in the store it just depends what mood of fragrance you're in and that effects how you feel about the fragrances that you're smelling.
    look I knew the perfumes that I smelled, because I had smelled them before. i agree that most designer fragrances smell like each other and like not a lot of thing happening, but designer frags are smelling much more than what I smelled. I only smelled a few fragrances since in my life that smelled a little bit like what I smelled with those fake testers. It was very distinct. And even with designer frags you can tell the differencebetween them, Here, it was almost like they had all the same juice, or very close.

and once again I smelled something, and i knew the frags i smelled.

I'll ask them next time that way we'll be fixed. And i'll come with a real sample to compare

Not sure why they would use anything other than the original scents.
    What would be the benefit?

Surely if they were putting crap out for people to test this would reflect in their sales and they would soon stop doing it.
    I would imagine displaying testers would be built into the margins of these places or they would be given a certain number of testers from the houses they sell.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gilmore View Post
    Not sure why they would use anything other than the original scents.
    What would be the benefit?

Surely if they were putting crap out for people to test this would reflect in their sales and they would soon stop doing it.
    I would imagine displaying testers would be built into the margins of these places or they would be given a certain number of testers from the houses they sell.
    simply because 99% of males go into a perfume shop just to try pefumes, and buy them online cheaper...

simply because 99% of males go into a perfume shop just to try pefumes, and buy them online cheaper...
    I'd probably fall into that bracket most of the time to be fair.

That said if 99% of males wont be buying why would they bother to stock male scents in bricks and mortar stores?
    Doesn't make for a viable business unless females are a hell of a lot happier to part with their cash in store.

IMO your conclusion is premature... there are other untested explanations. The one you propose runs contrary to logic as well. What other possible explanations could there be to you getting a generic smell of nothingness from a few scents? Is the only possible and most likely explanation that the store puts in fake testers? In our shop some manufacturers provide testers at no charge based on the number of fragrances purchased.

Quote Originally Posted by harveyg1 View Post
    IMO your conclusion is premature... there are other untested explanations. The one you propose runs contrary to logic as well. What other possible explanations could there be to you getting a generic smell of nothingness from a few scents? Is the only possible and most likely explanation that the store puts in fake testers? In our shop some manufacturers provide testers at no charge based on the number of fragrances purchased.
    perhaps its an elaborate scheme where someone who works at the store takes all the real stuff out of the testers for themselves and replaces it with something else. im not usually one for conspiracy theories, but i could see this happening somewhere in this world....people are greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by avo1811 View Post
    perhaps its an elaborate scheme where someone who works at the store takes all the real stuff out of the testers for themselves and replaces it with something else. im not usually one for conspiracy theories, but i could see this happening somewhere in this world....people are greedy.
    Hey, two of us thought that, I said same in post 11..... but it seems too much that this would happen in four separate stores. Unless the same guy works part time in all of them!!!!
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    Hey, two of us thought that, I said same in post 11..... but it seems too much that this would happen in four separate stores. Unless the same guy works part time in all of them!!!!
    Maybe someone opening a store or selling stuff in French eBay. 198E6F2D-65F2-4D09-ABDE-DE44F56C0EE7.jpeg
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    I agree