Code of Conduct

Default Suggestions on making an Elemi accord which functions in the mid the base range.

Hello all! I知 curious if anyone has some suggestions on materials that could help extend the life of Elemi EO/Elemi Resinoid. I知 attempting to formulate a base and it is proving to be much more trouble than I initially had hoped. I致e experimented with the standard logical items but most of those are all top notes in general. I知 going to have to get creative here if it is even possible in the first place!

Default Re: Suggestions on making an Elemi accord which functions in the mid the base range.

Quote Originally Posted by Levanthenon View Post
    ... that could help extend the life of Elemi EO/Elemi Resinoid
    Elemi should be a heart-to-base note and this means it should have about the same volatility as f.e. Atlas Cedar.
    It is a fixateur m麥e for top notes.

Dependent

Default Re: Suggestions on making an Elemi accord which functions in the mid the base range.

Elemi might last quite long on a blotter in some form but it looses its character very quickly. I had some success with the following progressions:
    elemi - Sichuan pepper SFE - gurjun balsam
    elemi - schinus (pink pepper) - guaiac (and traces of (iso)eugenol)
    elemi - ginger CO2 - Prismantol
    You may also try Bornafix and Coniferan Pure. From what I heard Maceal might help too.
    If you allow some presence of coumarin then green long lasting materials help extend illusion of elemi too.

To me it's peppery lemon. So careful dosing of lemonile. I agree with the guiac. Also bisbolene, poivrol, extra elemol.

Thank you all for the great suggestions so far! I'm looking forward to trying them once I am back home!

This is a long lasting elemi accord.
    Elemi Base Acc

B-Pinene 0,5
    A-Pinene 2,7
    Limonene 10
    P-Cymene 3,8
    DHM 0,5
    A. Terpynil acetate 1,5
    Amyris Oil 81

Banned

Long Lasting Lemon base is likely helpful taking lemon to the base.

Elemol and citral

Have you Elemol?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    Have you Elemol?
    Lolz.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    Have you Elemol?
    Yes, I actually do.

I wrote a review on it, some time ago on this forum. To me it smells a like "lemony dill pickles" in a very terpene-like way, very rosin-like, also a similar effect to thyme or oregano. Definitely a base note and very tenacious.
    I'm not sure I can recommend its use, but it is certainly a very interesting smell.

https://www.basenotes.net/threads/468477-Elemi

You are fortunate to have it. It's a rare bird among amateur perfumers, I expect. I have not been able to get it though admittedly I have made no effort past looking for it retail and coming up empty.

I don't think most people would want to smell like that, but it is a useful subtle background note (in very minute amounts) in carnation, helps add more naturalness. And it could of course be used to reinforce Elemi.

By itself, it isn't something you'd really want to smell like. I can understand why perfumers might have smelled this and passed it up as having any use in a perfume. By itself in pure form it's way too pungent and annoying like some sort of scratchy thyme spice or pickle, maybe slightly fenugreek pungent like curry leaf. I mean it doesn't smell bad, but it would get to be an annoying smell if it was stuck on your body for a long time and you had to keep smelling it.
    But it can have useful effects, as a background to other things, I think.

I really liked making Elemi resin + Yuzu EO + Ginger EO + TINY bit of Citral, very fresh spicy! Also Himalayan Pine Needle EO, and Olibanum resin are nice with Elemi to me

If you don't have elemol, this is just a thought but I believe you might be able to get a similar type of overall effect with a combination of L-limonene, Sandaxol, thyme EO, curry leaf EO, and maybe a little caryophyllene.

The only disadvantage is that limonene is a potential skin sensitizer and is more of a top note.