Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Basenotes Member Profcool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    56

    Default Aventus Cologne - 1 year on

    I bought my Aventus Cologne direct from Creed when it was first launched and really enjoyed wearing it last summer. I loved the bright zingy nature of it and actually preferred it to Aventus. I haven't worn it much since then but on a recent wearing i noticed it had changed quite a lot over the course of the year, as it had matured no doubt. I now find it has a really dominant patchouli note. I'm not really a lover of patchouli and my bottle seems to have lost the zing that I loved about it originally. Just wondered if others had experienced any change in the characteristics of their bottle since purchase?
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    341,889

    Default Re: Aventus Cologne - 1 year on

    Also bought mine when it was first released, but haven't experienced the same as you.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3
    Dependent slpfrsly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,907
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Aventus Cologne - 1 year on

    Quote Originally Posted by Profcool View Post
    I bought my Aventus Cologne direct from Creed when it was first launched and really enjoyed wearing it last summer. I loved the bright zingy nature of it and actually preferred it to Aventus. I haven't worn it much since then but on a recent wearing i noticed it had changed quite a lot over the course of the year, as it had matured no doubt. I now find it has a really dominant patchouli note. I'm not really a lover of patchouli and my bottle seems to have lost the zing that I loved about it originally. Just wondered if others had experienced any change in the characteristics of their bottle since purchase?
    I only have a decant but I loved it on first try - when trying it subsequently, I found it cloying and not all that pleasing. Something was jarring about it. I still have the decant somewhere so will try it again but I kind of chalked it up as not for me on the basis of a few bad wears. Could it have changed? Or could it have been my nose? Hard to say. I didn't wear it frequently enough when the decant was super fresh to really give anything reliable, anyway, but if I see/feel any differences I'll jot them down here.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Profcool View Post
    I bought my Aventus Cologne direct from Creed when it was first launched and really enjoyed wearing it last summer. I loved the bright zingy nature of it and actually preferred it to Aventus. I haven't worn it much since then but on a recent wearing i noticed it had changed quite a lot over the course of the year, as it had matured no doubt. I now find it has a really dominant patchouli note. I'm not really a lover of patchouli and my bottle seems to have lost the zing that I loved about it originally. Just wondered if others had experienced any change in the characteristics of their bottle since purchase?
    I only have a decant but I loved it on first try - when trying it subsequently, I found it cloying and not all that pleasing. Something was jarring about it. I still have the decant somewhere so will try it again but I kind of chalked it up as not for me on the basis of a few bad wears. Could it have changed? Or could it have been my nose? Hard to say. I didn't wear it frequently enough when the decant was super fresh to really give anything reliable, anyway, but if I see/feel any differences I'll jot them down here.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

  4. #4
    Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,135

    Default Re: Aventus Cologne - 1 year on

    How many here enjoy the Cologne more than the regular stuff?
    Last time I was at Saks, I found myself sniffing and enjoying the Cologne a little bit more.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  5. #5
    Dependent slpfrsly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,907
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Aventus Cologne - 1 year on

    Not me, Danny. I think it was nice enough but you can definitely 'get' the Aventus Cologne effect and smell from other scents, like Explorer, or one of the Allures from Chanel. It could easily be labelled as 'Aventus Sport'.

    I've yet to find an adequate clone for the original Aventus. It's just an altogether more serious, more grown up affair, and much more enjoyable in my opinion. I never feel uncomfortable wearing it whereas the Cologne veers sporty and more caustic.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

  6. #6
    Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,135

    Default Re: Aventus Cologne - 1 year on

    Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Not me, Danny. I think it was nice enough but you can definitely 'get' the Aventus Cologne effect and smell from other scents, like Explorer, or one of the Allures from Chanel. It could easily be labelled as 'Aventus Sport'.

    I've yet to find an adequate clone for the original Aventus. It's just an altogether more serious, more grown up affair, and much more enjoyable in my opinion. I never feel uncomfortable wearing it whereas the Cologne veers sporty and more caustic.
    That does make some sense as I have never felt that any you mentioned really smelled like regular aventus.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  7. #7

    Default Re: Aventus Cologne - 1 year on

    I also get Allure Sport from this one. They should have gone for Aventus Parfum if they wanted to make a serious flanker to revive this cow.

  8. #8
    Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,135

    Default Re: Aventus Cologne - 1 year on

    Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    I also get Allure Sport from this one. They should have gone for Aventus Parfum if they wanted to make a serious flanker to revive this cow.
    Lol @ cow
    I agree. A Parfum would be a good idea. Or they should have left it alone. I like how fragrance houses don't have flankers.
    It's like saying 'this is it, this is how it's supposed to be'
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  9. #9

    Default Re: Aventus Cologne - 1 year on

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    How many here enjoy the Cologne more than the regular stuff?
    Last time I was at Saks, I found myself sniffing and enjoying the Cologne a little bit more.
    I am a long-time wearer of Aventus (from the initial release) and I got the Cologne at release as well. I currently have the ZZ01 batch of Aventus.

    I happen to agree with you. I get better performance from the Cologne, and it smells brighter/better to me. I enjoy the cologne more and I perceive it better through the course of the day.

    I reach for the Cologne fairly often, and I rarely reach for Aventus because I fear disappointment.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Aventus Cologne - 1 year on

    Happening to own the bottle in the current wardrobe for roughly/slightly above the double amount of time, namely 2-2,5 years and a half or maybe a bit more, will have to re-test asap. In order to realize whether the beneficial or any effects of again are just a psychological factor/placebo effect or they do become increasingly more noticeable over time.

  11. #11
    Dependent NickZee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,332
    Blog Entries
    13

    Default Re: Aventus Cologne - 1 year on

    I like them both, I think cologne works well as a flanker. A parfum sounds like a great idea but Creed seemingly finds it hard to move away from their fresh DNA
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

  12. #12
    Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    14,135

    Default Re: Aventus Cologne - 1 year on

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I am a long-time wearer of Aventus (from the initial release) and I got the Cologne at release as well. I currently have the ZZ01 batch of Aventus.

    I happen to agree with you. I get better performance from the Cologne, and it smells brighter/better to me. I enjoy the cologne more and I perceive it better through the course of the day.

    I reach for the Cologne fairly often, and I rarely reach for Aventus because I fear disappointment.
    Makes me wonder if they give the cologne a little more attention and 'oomph' during it's release and rookie year, and it's big brother got a little bit of neglect.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  13. #13

    Default Re: Aventus Cologne - 1 year on

    So I received a gift of this yesterday by my wife for my birthday.

    I am not mad about Aventus itself (common enough amongst my work peers).

    My wife really likes it though (second only to AdP Colonia for her) - hence her picking this up.

    It’s a nice scent. Reminds rightly or wrongly of Prada Luna Rossa. After a couple of wearings, I do think I will wear it more than the original.

    I prefer GIT though....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14

    Default Re: Aventus Cologne - 1 year on

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    How many here enjoy the Cologne more than the regular stuff?
    Tried Cologne alongside with original yesterday. A big disappointment. I love Creed, have had a bunch of them over the years, wear Aventus now. Even though some of Creeds are not exactly my cup of tea, I always found them to be good perfumes.
    Cologne, however, smells cheap and childish like hell. It's so bloody ordinary. If the price is taken into consideration... well I don't know, this for me is a really unreasonable buy. Longevity is stunning, though.
    Maybe that's just on my skin or I perceive it like that, but...
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

  15. #15
    Dependent speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,296

    Default Re: Aventus Cologne - 1 year on

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Makes me wonder if they give the cologne a little more attention and 'oomph' during it's release and rookie year, and it's big brother got a little bit of neglect.
    Crazy business logic lol in terms of quality, Aventus has always been hit and miss especially with all those crazy variations in smell and performance batch to batch I haven’t smelled the Cologne and based on feedback have no desire to plenty of other fragrances that have the same smell dna. I’ve worn Aventus a lot years ago and have always felt it was a solid excellent fresh masculine fragrance. Something about how the pineapple and the darker notes mixed together just did it for me always smelled divine. I have not wore it for 2-3 years now and can still remember the experiences I had with this one, on the fence whether to give it a go again with all the subpar newer batches being talked about. It definitely was a very versatile and standout fragrance worthy of being in a men’s wardrobe.
    Current Top Favorites:

    Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3ème Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Cartier Pasha De Cartier Parfum
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

  16. #16

    Default Re: Aventus Cologne - 1 year on

    still rubbish.
    Currently wearing: Chrome Aqua by Azzaro

  17. #17

    Default Re: Aventus Cologne - 1 year on

    As a Cologne I find it too weak.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Aventus Cologne - 1 year on

    Man, the sandalwood in Aventus Cologne is very prominent today. There is no getting around it. I much prefer the cologne to the OG. Top 5 for me.

  19. #19
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    454

    Default Re: Aventus Cologne - 1 year on

    Hi Danny and ChuckW - both have their place, but AC is my preferred right now, in fact top 5 for me as well.

  20. #20
    Dependent slpfrsly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    2,907
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Aventus Cologne - 1 year on

    My thoughts are that it's a nice enough fragrance, perfectly wearable, modern, masculine, fresh, sporty, with decent performance. However, it's utterly pointless to pay the Creed prices unless money is no object. You can get almost exactly the same experience from any number of other scents, from Chanel to Salvatore Ferragamo.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford




Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 196
    Last Post: 1st May 2021, 02:13 PM
  2. Wanted - Creed Caps, GIT, Aventus Cologne, Vintage Aventus
    By Bigserver1 in forum Fragrances Wanted
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26th March 2020, 06:19 PM
  3. Creed Aventus for 18 year old
    By ASRH in forum Creed Aventus Subforum
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 5th May 2014, 08:40 PM
  4. Aventus for 19 year old guy?
    By pepeto in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 24th August 2012, 07:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000