Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Frederic Malle The Night worth the price?

Quote Originally Posted by Jarran View Post
    If you're an oud + rose fan, and have the money to spend, I do think it's a notch above everything else in that category in terms of the oud quality. I'd say it's a more masculine quality version of le Malles Portrait of a Lady. I enjoy Dior´s Oud Ispahan and PdM Akaster, but The Night is total luxury compared to these. Although I also very much enjoy Dawn among the Desert Gems, I would claim The Night is more worthy of its price tag.
    I've got it )). And enjoy it a lot. It really is a beautifully crafted rose-oud perfume. The best oud I've come across, and I've tested many of the artisanal ouds as well. I think Ropion's touch really makes the difference. I really wish more high-class perfumers would be given real oud to work with. Artisanal ouds are great, but sometimes the blending just isn't there to do justice to the beautiful oils they use.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr B1414 View Post
    I've got it )). And enjoy it a lot. It really is a beautifully crafted rose-oud perfume. The best oud I've come across, and I've tested many of the artisanal ouds as well. I think Ropion's touch really makes the difference. I really wish more high-class perfumers would be given real oud to work with. Artisanal ouds are great, but sometimes the blending just isn't there to do justice to the beautiful oils they use.
    Couldn't agree more

Banned

A great fragrance, but had I to spend that amount of money, I would look into other houses that do things better for less: Bortnikoff, Ensar, ALD, Sultan Pasha. I even think that Roja Musk Aoud is a better investment, and can be found for under $500 online for a 100ml bottle (vs The Night, which cost - at least - $1,200 for a 100ml pop).
    Currently wearing: Resina by Oliver & Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    A great fragrance, but had I to spend that amount of money, I would look into other houses that do things better for less: Bortnikoff, Ensar, ALD, Sultan Pasha. I even think that Roja Musk Aoud is a better investment, and can be found for under $500 online for a 100ml bottle (vs The Night, which cost - at least - $1,200 for a 100ml pop).
    I've tried some Ensar and Bortnikoff. Beautiful ouds, but not as beautifully blended in my opinion. They seem to lack something. For me, the overall outcome of the composition is what really matters. More so than the ingredients. Even I agree that The Night is overpriced. But I think that no one can deny how well made it is. I think that price is really very subjective. I used to look at the price of perfumes when I started collecting. Now I really don't care as long as I find it beautiful enough for me to purchase it. I let my nose decide what I'm going to buy or not. Roja is nice also but lacks the animalic kick that The Night, or some artisanal stuff, have.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Jarran View Post
    The Night is more worthy of its price tag.
    Definitely agree with this and would also add so is the 200ml size.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I've tried some Ensar and Bortnikoff. Beautiful ouds, but not as beautifully blended in my opinion. They seem to lack something.
    I would agree with this regarding Ensar Oud No. 1. I've worn it a couple of times, but it just kind of sits on my skin like a bunch of jumbled notes competing with one another. There's no progression. It doesn't tell a story. It just "is," which is fine if one loves the end result. I don't mind it, but I have to be in the mood. The Night is something I've tried and liked, but haven't picked up yet. I did get a 100ml of The Moon and that's a tamed/westernized oud, very accessible and wonderfully done. Right now I'm REALLY enjoying Amante from Profumum (Note di Profumum) which is the first (and only) Profumum scent to use oud. It's well blended with amber, cedar and sandalwood and is very nicely done without fruits, citruses or floral notes - just ambery woods.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Right now I'm REALLY enjoying Amante from Profumum (Note di Profumum) which is the first (and only) Profumum scent to use oud. It's well blended with amber, cedar and sandalwood and is very nicely done without fruits, citruses or floral notes - just ambery woods.
    This one I am very curious to try. I really like Profumum. Really solid house. Notes look right down my alley.

This one I am very curious to try. I really like Profumum. Really solid house. Notes look right down my alley.
    I believe it's exclusive to their boutique, but I happened across a bottle on eBay and snagged it.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage