Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Frederic Malle The Night worth the price?

I def agree that The Night is an oud that sits on POAL as its base, it's very clear. I love both but won't be getting a full bottle, just decants of The Night. At the pricepoint, I'd rather buy pure oud. Given that I have a 100 mL bottle of POAL, I played around and combined 9 mL of POAL with a few drops of: Hindi oud from Agarwood Assam, castoreum in mysore sandal, safranal, and saffron attar, topped off with about 1 mL of perfumers alcohol. Voila, it's near identical. Perhaps my POAL hybrid has a stronger pop of frankincense being the biggest difference. Just sharing my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by FCM415 View Post
    I def agree that The Night is an oud that sits on POAL as its base, it's very clear. I love both but won't be getting a full bottle, just decants of The Night. At the pricepoint, I'd rather buy pure oud. Given that I have a 100 mL bottle of POAL, I played around and combined 9 mL of POAL with a few drops of: Hindi oud from Agarwood Assam, castoreum in mysore sandal, safranal, and saffron attar, topped off with about 1 mL of perfumers alcohol. Voila, it's near identical. Perhaps my POAL hybrid has a stronger pop of frankincense being the biggest difference. Just sharing my experience.
    Nice layering combo)). If it works, that's all that matters.
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

Quote Originally Posted by FCM415 View Post
    That sounds wonderful!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    Almost 3 years ago, I dipped my toe into the world of real oud thanks to Ensar's oud sampler. From there, I kept sampling and purchased various ouds from Ensar, Agarwood Assam, Al Hashimi, etc. I really enjoyed this exploration. This led me down the rabbit hole of artisanal perfume (Areej le Dore, Bortnikoff, TRNP, Sultan Pasha, Ensar Oud, etc.). Eventually, the fomo marketing and hype surrounding several of these artisanal houses became too much and I began refocusing my attention on the classics and a handful of Niche brands -mostly French. In this shift, I came to the conclusion that I value composition over raw material quality alone. Most of the artisanal perfumes I loved highlighted wonderful natural ingredients, but were volatile or rough around the edges composition-wise. I sold off most of the bottles I owned from these houses (except for Sultan Pasha).

Enter The Night. This is as close to a perfect marriage of real oud and classic French composition that I have encountered so far (Oudh Infini is another impressive one, but just isn't to my taste). It is a classic Rose Oud combo. Nothing earth shattering. But you get a really solid authentic oud profile and the blending and composition are a clear step above anything I have tried from any of the aforementioned artisanal houses (save for Sultan Pasha). Is it overpriced? Surely it is. Is it still worth it? It is for me because I have been looking for something like this for a while now. There are many artisanal perfumes with better natural oud. There are plenty of perfumes with more original, groundbreaking, or interesting compositions. I just haven't found anything else that marries natural oud with this level of composition better than the Night.
    Hear, hear!
    All the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten this little hand.

I like The Night quite a bit -- I however feel the opposite with Oudh Infini. I was actually surprised how the oud in Oudh Infini smells nothing like the water soaked & fermented Assam style oud I was lead to believe it would smell like by the descriptions. I think these two perfumes set out to achieve different goals, and the both do so splendidly. The Night seems from what I've heard from Malle to be the Assam oudh + rose + patchouli style that you find in Dubai meticulously crafted by Ropion. It's meant to recreate that Middle East rawness, and in the French styling of Ropion does so while leaving out everything about oudh that can be unpleasant such as the camphor, and the imbalance you find in many artisanal or craftsman oudh blends. Oudh Infini sets out to be Joy parfum done in modern times. It truly is classical French perfumery, and instead of playing up the Middle Eastern influences as a shtick for a quick buck, incorporates the elements as if it were never foreign to the palette.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    I like The Night quite a bit -- I however feel the opposite with Oudh Infini. I was actually surprised how the oud in Oudh Infini smells nothing like the water soaked & fermented Assam style oud I was lead to believe it would smell like by the descriptions. I think these two perfumes set out to achieve different goals, and the both do so splendidly. The Night seems from what I've heard from Malle to be the Assam oudh + rose + patchouli style that you find in Dubai meticulously crafted by Ropion. It's meant to recreate that Middle East rawness, and in the French styling of Ropion does so while leaving out everything about oudh that can be unpleasant such as the camphor, and the imbalance you find in many artisanal or craftsman oudh blends. Oudh Infini sets out to be Joy parfum done in modern times. It truly is classical French perfumery, and instead of playing up the Middle Eastern influences as a shtick for a quick buck, incorporates the elements as if it were never foreign to the palette.
    This is a really good post. Thinking of Oud Infini this way actually helps me appreciate it more and understand why it didn't sit well with me at the same time.