Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    piney

Default Tom Ford Black Orchid Parfum 2020

I saw that hednic posted that Tom Ford is releasing Black Orchid Parfum in 2020, does anyone know of a release date? Has anyone possibly sampled this? Anyone interested? Would love to hear thoughts/ opinions.

Fragrance Notes

Black truffle, Ylang-ylang, Black orchid, Black plum, Rum absolute, Patchouli

Default Re: Tom Ford Black Orchid Parfum 2020

This does peak my interest as black orchid was my gateway perfume 13 years ago. It still is one of my favorites.

Banned

Love the original Black Orchid. Didn't hear anything about new release, could just be rumor.

Dependent

Honestly, I'm just so tired of Black Orchid. I thought the original was ok. I wonder if it'll be in a special small size splash bottle or just in the normal bottle. Also wondering what the price will be.

Edit:

Just saw hednic's post. Unfortunately, it's the same bottle design, now in a hideous gold.

The price is $150 for 50 ml and $195 for 100 ml. Still quite expensive, though not as bad as I thought it would be.

Dependent

From the Tom Ford website page for Black Orchid Parfum:

THE MOST POTENT VERSION OF BLACK ORCHID EVER MADE, BLACK ORCHID PARFUM AMPLIFIES THE ICONIC SENSUALITY OF THE ORIGINAL. ITS APHRODISIAC EFFECT ELEVATES THE MOST ELUSIVE AND DARKEST OF FLOWERS TO POWERFULLY SEDUCTIVE NEW HEIGHTS -- REVEALING A MAGNIFIED SIGNATURE OF POTENT YLANG-YLANG FLOWERS DIPPED IN GOLDEN RUM.
    CREATED EXCLUSIVELY FOR TOM FORD, THE TOM FORD BLACK ORCHID WAS BORN OF HIS QUEST FOR 'THE PERFECT FLOWER - LUXURIOUS, ELEGANT, PURE AND SOPHISTICATED.'
    NEW BLACK ORCHID PARFUM OFFERS AN AMPLIFIED PRESENCE OF THE PRECIOUS ESSENTIAL OIL - REVEALING NEW OLFACTIVE DIMENSIONS WHERE HYPNOTIC BLACK ORCHID AND NARCOTIC YLANG-YLANG ARE HEIGHTENED, AND LUSCIOUS BLACK PLUM BECOMES EVEN MORE PRONOUNCED. CELEBRATING THE IMPACT OF THE SEDUCTIVE BREAKTHROUGH, THE PARFUM IS PRESENTED WITH AN ALL-OVER GOLD FLACON, FROM PLAQUE TO CAP.
    STRIKING SINCE ITS INCEPTION, THE FRAGRANCE CONTINUES TO ENVELOP ALL GENDERS IN A WORLD OF ITS OWN

everyday i'm samplin'

because Black Orchid was too weak? we gotta amp it up?
    I smell.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    have a 2019 bottle and the longevity is very sad, 5 to 6hr max. it is weak sauce to the bone.

Dependent

How else you gonna work around nose fatigue unless everything is BEAST MODE!!

Dependent

"AMPLIFIES THE ICONIC SENSUALITY…"

Well dang, when it comes to iconic sensuality, I'm always in favor of amplification.
    Currently wearing: Potion by Dsquared2

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    Honestly, I'm just so tired of Black Orchid.
    Likewise.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Black Orchid performed too strongly for its scent profile.
    -let's make it stronger.

Haha this! This stuff is n*clear!
    I cringe, I remember I wore it out for a meal with friends, knocked everyone and prolly the rest of the restaurant out. Lol actually got rid asit was the signature of a recent ex of my pal, and there was some messy stuff going on!
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

piney

Quote Originally Posted by ben805 View Post
    Love the original Black Orchid. Didn't hear anything about new release, could just be rumor.
    It's actually listed on the Tom Ford website now.

piney

This is the parfum version, or extrait*, so I don't foresee this being nuclear like some have mentioned, extraits typically wear closer to the skin but have better longevity.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    This is the parfum version, or extrait*, so I don't foresee this being nuclear like some have mentioned, extraits typically wear closer to the skin but have better longevity.
    I think that works for naturals more so than their more synthetic aromachemicals. Somehow I doubt Tom Ford’s team would have them make a stronger fragrance that doesn’t have any projection to it. “The most potent version ever made” doesn’t sound like they’re leaving out the chances of it being a nuclear assault on everyone in the room.

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    If you go back and smell how rich and almost mishmash BO's DNA is you'd probably take that back, it's not only about projection, Extraits and pure Parfums usually smell richer and more cloying.

piney

Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    I think that works for naturals more so than their more synthetic aromachemicals. Somehow I doubt Tom Ford’s team would have them make a stronger fragrance that doesn’t have any projection to it. “The most potent version ever made” doesn’t sound like they’re leaving out the chances of it being a nuclear assault on everyone in the room.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    If you go back and smell how rich and almost mishmash BO's DNA is you'd probably take that back, it's not only about projection, Extraits and pure Parfums usually smell richer and more cloying.
    I'll concede that you both have good points, especially in regards to naturals. There's a good chance this stuff may be more potent than CS gas, my bottle of 2015 Black Orchid is very strong and only requires 1-2 sprays to become overwhelming strong to the senses. I guess only sampling will determine it's true character.

Looking forward trying this!

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Haha this! This stuff is n*clear!
    I cringe, I remember I wore it out for a meal with friends, knocked everyone and prolly the rest of the restaurant out. Lol actually got rid asit was the signature of a recent ex of my pal, and there was some messy stuff going on!
    I'd say there is a portion of Tom Ford customers for whom 'too much' is never enough.

For clubbing etc I can see the appeal of having an objectively more powerful version of the EdT or EdP.

That said, Black Orchid to me smells...pretty hanging. It smells like a drag queen's fragrance, something ostentatious, bold, garish, and altogether a bit...cartoonish.

I do like the bottle though. It seems, with good reason, TF was loathe to allow this style of bottle die with the discontinuation of Sahara Noir. It is slightly cannibalistic to effectively re-use the bottle, albeit with mild geometric differences.

Also, given the discontinuation of Grey Vetiver EdT, it's slightly galling to have yet another flanker of a different scent. I really shows that money is totally dictating the fragrances they still produce/release with little regard for any longevity of customer - I can see how you can spin the 'luxury' and 'exclusive' nonsense for a discontinued private blend, but for something like Grey Vetiver EdT? It's impossible.

How many Black Orchids is that now? 6? 7?
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I never cared for the original, but I'll be sure to try this one. The notes do look good.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    How many Black Orchids is that now? 6? 7?
    Wait, really? I thought there was only one!

Basenotes Plus

Black Orchid Parfum, the concept, is not new: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/193...RFUME?p=987927

Atleast this 'new' Parfum is cheaper.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Wait, really? I thought there was only one!
    I make it that there's been an EdT and an EdP as 'main releases'.

Then there is a hair mist spray which is still deemed a fragrance, and a few limited edition versions.

This addition boosts the number again.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Banned

The old beast mode Black Orchid is long gone, the sample and full bottle i got this year are NOT the powerhouses people made it out to be. Both Maremma by Tiziana Terenzi and Dark Orchid by Amouroud are inspired by Black Orchid, have far superior projection and longevity than the Black Orchid. Maremma and Dark Orchid kick this to the curb as far as performance goes. It has absolutely nothing to do with olfactory fatigue as it can be confirmed by checking with colleagues, friends, or family members to see if they can smell it within feet from you. Those who think this is beast mode obviously did not try the newer batch, stop lying and hyping it up as a beast mode fragrance, it's downright misleading, anybody going out to buy a bottle now expecting beast mode performance is going to be disappointed!

Here's a review dated back in 2017 having the same experience:

https://youtu.be/m1e7b82Lrrg
    Last edited by ben805; 26th July 2020 at 09:30 PM.

piney

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Black Orchid Parfum, the concept, is not new: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/193...RFUME?p=987927

Atleast this 'new' Parfum is cheaper.
    This was an interesting thread that you shared Mike, $600 for 1/2OZ, WOW!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by ben805 View Post
    The old beast mode Black Orchid is long gone, the sample and full bottle i got this year are NOT the powerhouses people made it out to be. Both Maremma by Tiziana Terenzi and Dark Orchid by Amouroud are inspired by Black Orchid, have far superior projection and longevity than the Black Orchid. Maremma and Dark Orchid kick this to the curb as far as performance goes. It has absolutely nothing to do with olfactory fatigue as it can be confirmed by checking with colleagues, friends, or family members to see if they can smell it within feet from you. Those who think this is beast mode obviously did not try the newer batch, stop lying and hyping it up as a beast mode fragrance, it's downright misleading, anybody going out to buy a bottle now expecting beast mode performance is going to be disappointed!

Here's a review dated back in 2017 having the same experience:

https://youtu.be/m1e7b82Lrrg
    I think most people in this community aren’t necessarily the crowd that’s looking for beast mode anything like on reddit where every post is complaining about what designer fragrance isn’t beast mode anymore. I think the point here is that putting out another obnoxious version of Black Orchid may be an appeasement to the crowds that value “beast mode” performance which is totally fine but it’s redundant at this point.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the news guys. Looking forward to trying it.

I have a recent sample and it was gone after a few hours. Which wasn‘t a bad thing for me, as I don‘t like the scent at all.
    Currently wearing: Toy Boy by Moschino

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

The original is a doozy, so I don't see this being much more of a doozy without being dangerous lol
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Altamir by Ted Lapidus

Basenotes Plus

I remember sampling the 2007 Parfum (a BN member sent me some...I wore it very sparingly). It wasn't 'stronger' per se. It was richer, it wore a bit closer to the body - but I found it very similar to the EdP. Personally I like the smell of Black Orchid a lot. I have since it was released. But I always wanted it a tad lighter...so the formulation that works for me is the Finishing Oil. You spray it on wet skin, after a bath or shower, and towel it off. It is the best way for me to enjoy the scent. I'm pretty sure this is disco'd so I'm glad I own a bottle.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I remember sampling the 2007 Parfum (a BN member sent me some...I wore it very sparingly). It wasn't 'stronger' per se. It was richer, it wore a bit closer to the body - but I found it very similar to the EdP. Personally I like the smell of Black Orchid a lot. I have since it was released. But I always wanted it a tad lighter...so the formulation that works for me is the Finishing Oil. You spray it on wet skin, after a bath or shower, and towel it off. It is the best way for me to enjoy the scent. I'm pretty sure this is disco'd so I'm glad I own a bottle.
    Black Orchid EDT is the lighter version of it ;-)