Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Before it's gone: Oud Minerale

I'm debating with myself over the decision to grab this one before it's gone for good from the stores. What's the general consensus in retrospect? I generally enjoy the Tom Ford frags that I've acquired -- I love Oud Wood Intense, and really like both London and Noir Anthracite, and generally do like aquatics and marine scents, but this seems to have a lot of mixed reviews. Thoughts?
    Currently wearing: Oceania by Roja Dove

Default Re: Before it's gone: Oud Minerale

In my opinion it's amazing but you absolutely should sample asap instead of blind buying (unless you're happy with the consequences, come what may).

It sounds like you're almost looking for a 'push' and your mind is nearly made up, though? Would that be fair? I find that these sorts of threads are just sort of seeking confirmation or validation rather than anything too in depth?
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

No, actually. I was actually going to buy Zoologist Squid as my next buy, and then was distracted by Armani Prive Oud Royale, but then remembered that Oud Minerale was leaving us...

A happy quandary.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by davidcalgary29 View Post
    What's the general consensus in retrospect? Thoughts?
    Speaking only for myself, didn't care for it the two times I tried it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm debating with myself over the decision to grab this one before it's gone for good from the stores. What's the general consensus in retrospect? I generally enjoy the Tom Ford frags that I've acquired -- I love Oud Wood Intense, and really like both London and Noir Anthracite, and generally do like aquatics and marine scents, but this seems to have a lot of mixed reviews. Thoughts?
    if you're going to buy it, fragrancenet has the 100 ml... and it's going fast!
    i just blind bought mine yesterday... i think it's something i'd like since i love bulgari aqva and i have nothing else in my collection that is similar to those two.

Basenotes Plus

Okay, you two have convinced me -- no blind buys of this one. I'd still like to hear more, though -- one reviewer described it as evoking a "frozen Canadian beach", which is quite compelling. Is it very salty? Or watery?

piney

Okay, you two have convinced me -- no blind buys of this one. I'd still like to hear more, though -- one reviewer described it as evoking a "frozen Canadian beach", which is quite compelling. Is it very salty? Or watery?

Its a salty aquatic with seaweed and oud, nice for the hotter days and evenings. Always reminds me of our day trips to Bar Harbor and Downeast Maine.

I love it. One of my most favored Tom fords. It’s kind of polarizing, with an unusual real-beach water accord that not just everyone would like. It seems to try catch the actual salty, iodine, sea plants aspects of ‘aquatic’ not the conceptual cool water calone aquatic. Incredible longevity, very linear, so I don’t find it an everyday choice. I’ve got my backup bottles bought already

But London and anthracite are kind of polarizing too, so you might like it. I find minerale less challenging than either of those, especially london

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dwntwnjay View Post
    I love it. One of my most favored Tom fords. It’s kind of polarizing, with an unusual real-beach water accord that not just everyone would like. It seems to try catch the actual salty, iodine, sea plants aspects of ‘aquatic’ not the conceptual cool water calone aquatic. Incredible longevity, very linear, so I don’t find it an everyday choice. I’ve got my backup bottles bought already

But London and anthracite are kind of polarizing too, so you might like it. I find minerale less challenging than either of those, especially london
    That's good to keep in mind. The only scents I find to be personally challenging for my skin all have spicy/sweet notes, such as Spicebomb and Invasion Barbare. I quite like the metallics and harsher notes, as long as they're well-formulated.

It is one scent I really thought I'd love. Sampled it, and I think it is completely unwearable.

Definitely not a scent just to snap up, it's a bit out there and not going to be to many people's tastes. Also, weird enough that in public a lot of people are going to wonder who is wearing it and why.

As with all scents, if you love it, wear it. This is definitely not a scent for buying a full bottle blind. The oud when added to by the marine seaweedy notes just has nothing to balance it from becoming weird. Think a river inlet from a beach, and walk up it away from the beach until everything starts to smell a bit off.

Quote Originally Posted by mfinz8 View Post
    It is one scent I really thought I'd love. Sampled it, and I think it is completely unwearable.

Definitely not a scent just to snap up, it's a bit out there and not going to be to many people's tastes. Also, weird enough that in public a lot of people are going to wonder who is wearing it and why.
    YIKES! That gives one pause on a blind buy.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

No, actually. I was actually going to buy Zoologist Squid as my next buy, and then was distracted by Armani Prive Oud Royale, but then remembered that Oud Minerale was leaving us...

A happy quandary.
    Ok. In any case, I'd definitely recommend a sample. As I said, I love it, but it does have styrax which many people read as a 'rubbery oud'. To my nose, there's almost no detectable 'oud' - of the kind Tom Ford uses in his other fragrances, totally synthetic of course - and it's basically like a strong, north atlantic sea air mixed with a sporty fragrance. Imagine a niche Acqua di Gio and you're not miles away. Some people will like the tweak on something much more 'sporty', some will just hate it.

Sample, sample, sample.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Speaking only for myself, didn't care for it the two times I tried it.
    Same, didn't like this one at all.TF
    You did mention Oud Royal from Armani? I would pick that one hands down despite the discontinuation status of the TF. No contest there, in my opinion.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Ok. In any case, I'd definitely recommend a sample. As I said, I love it, but it does have styrax which many people read as a 'rubbery oud'. To my nose, there's almost no detectable 'oud' - of the kind Tom Ford uses in his other fragrances, totally synthetic of course - and it's basically like a strong, north atlantic sea air mixed with a sporty fragrance. Imagine a niche Acqua di Gio and you're not miles away. Some people will like the tweak on something much more 'sporty', some will just hate it.

Sample, sample, sample.
    It sounds great. This is one I’ve really been meaning to try.
    Spring Wardrobe: H24, Green Irish Tweed, Viking, Allure Homme Edition Blanche, Prada L'Homme, Dior Homme, Acqua di Gio Profumo, Guerlain L'Homme Ideal Cool, New York Intense, The Orchid Man, Fahrenheit, 1962, Carven L'Eau Intense, Beau du Jour, Pear + Olive

Quote Originally Posted by mfinz8 View Post
    Also, weird enough that in public a lot of people are going to wonder who is wearing it and why.
    Yeah. It's a seaweed scent with more than a little seaweed skank.

I don't like it at all. I hate marine notes in perfumery and this has a strong marine note. Can't believe how much it costs as it smells like a designer fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Encre Noire by Lalique

Dependent

Personally, I think it's a great scent. Don't blind buy because nothing should be a blind buy, but I don't see why everyone is making it seem like it's challenging. To me, it's not challenging whatsoever.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Personally, I think it's a great scent. Don't blind buy because nothing should be a blind buy, but I don't see why everyone is making it seem like it's challenging. To me, it's not challenging whatsoever.
    I also think it's a good scent and not difficult to wear.

Basenotes Institution

I got an aquatic,soapy vibe with a metallic background. Personally, I don't think it's worth a blind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    It sounds great. This is one I’ve really been meaning to try.
    Definitely. I banged on about it for long enough (albeit probably moreso on fragrantica) and wore it fairly frequently on the weekends for about 6 months over last year and in to this, that I feel like a relative lone voice in among the ambivalence.

I'm also pretty sure I said in my review that it would get discontinued relatively quickly because it was so odd, and it is both 'better' than the rest of the Tom Fords, but also doesn't appeal to your typical Tom Ford private blend aspirational shopper (TV and TL and OW being the typical purchase). I'm disappointed to find this prediction to be true.

I have a feeling it'll have a cult following for years to come. I'm also holding out *some* hope that any discontinuation is - like other brands - as much to do with coronavirus than something more permanent...but I definitely wouldn't count on that.

I have about 8ml remaining from an approx 25ml/50ml bottle I bought. I'm happy with that, I found too many issues with it in the end after thinking it would be my ideal 'casual' fragrance.

I'll list the issues then I'll list what I think is great about it:

- It takes a while to 'settle'. The styrax and seaweed accord is deep, dank, and alkaline and although it is literally one of the most linear fragrances I've ever tried (which is fine/good), the first hour it has a harshness to the skank before settling down in to a bracingly fresh saline scent.
    - It's expensive. Obviously. For what it is, it's a lot of money. One of the main issues I had with it was that I couldn't justify spending Ł200 on a bottle each year. That's just too much money for me - now that it's discontinued, it guarantees it, and likewise I had an inkling it would get the chop within the next few years so I feel relieved to have shown good judgement there.
    - The fact it was a bit weird, a bit divisive, very strong and all that but ostensibly a 'day to day' type scent (fresh, clean, masculine) made me think it has issues with wearability. It's not versatile and inoffensive.

Positives:

- Frequent compliments from women, particularly older women (lol). Despite the apparent 'trickiness' with the scent, I think that maybe it smells much better from a distance?
    - It's fresh, unique, masculine, and an 'aquatic'/marine in the truest sense without having the issues Sel Marin has in terms of 'fishyness'.
    - The performance is unbelievable. One of the strongest fragrances I've tried. 2-3 sprays lasted well over 12 hours and it was strong for nearly all of it. I genuinely think it's the strongest fragrance I've owned to date - but that could easily be seen in the negative column as well.

I think it would make for an amazing 'sometimes' wear that you come back to from time to time and in that sense would easily be bottle worthy for a good number of men. Summer nights? Or even cooler nights? Could work amazingly well.

I would kill for TF to release this in the signature line in all honesty.

Its my fav and most worn TF,
    Glad to have recently re-acquire this one.

Wears extremely well and performance is fantastic!!

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

It's not one I ever had a chance to sample, and if it's going to unicornland anyway, might as well leave sleeping mythical horse beasts lie untested.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Dependent

It's an interesting fragrance. Couldn't decide if I liked it or disliked it.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    It's not one I ever had a chance to sample, and if it's going to unicornland anyway, might as well leave sleeping mythical horse beasts lie untested.
    ...or perhaps test it now, when available, instead of being left to forever wonder if it was that one scent which could have completed your wardrobe?

I bought a sample.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Sometimes ignorance is indeed bliss
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

...or perhaps test it now, when available, instead of being left to forever wonder if it was that one scent which could have completed your wardrobe?

I bought a sample.
    Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Sometimes ignorance is indeed bliss
    Deltasun has the right idea. I tend to be out of sight out of mind with perfumes I haven't tried unless everyone talks about them discontinued or not, although if a tester is still in stores locally, I may sample it all the same just to try and give it a fair rating.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Love this one, but I would sample if possible before getting a full bottle.

Thank you for the recommendation.
    Did perceive this one so far as neither abysmally bad nor outstandingly good among the both regular and also niche/designer exclusive TF scent offerings, however will have to additionally retest this one before more definitive and/or substantial (re) purchasing, backup and/or blind buy choice.

I appreciate we all like different types of scents, but there is no comment - good or bad - abut this one that makes me yearn to try it.
    An easy farewell to thee for me.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Didn't really care for it much myself.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Diorella by Christian Dior