Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Auphorie - Dedicated page

Creating a dedicated page to a lovely house of Auphorie.
    Please share news, opinions, reviews of the house and their creations.

1533178950-1473943142.jpg

Quickly walking through creations:

61962_64fc4a431ead466c5c6a2eb85e036d5b_archipelago.jpg

11430152_564989870305748_644932682228670870_n.jpg

61959_d7475a60071c8b33688ae5da66624c73_golden_chersonese.jpg

shambhala.jpg

61960_45ece0cbbaac32f452b613ba311ed0dc_zen.jpg

o.38868.jpg

o.38864.jpg

aeb0aa5e904610772e50f302994f0d99.jpg

466726dde26ca16f33b1a80afdacd188.jpg

CzdLE_BUkAAq7pR.jpg

EauDeNyonya_bottle_02_700x800_d8f06bcc-e8fc-4f7d-a53d-399699274c32_300x.jpg

375x500.42626.jpg

Dunhuang_bottle_04_700x800_f091cbad-6714-4592-9baa-ffb17d768693_300x.jpg

Sriwijaya_bottle_04_700x800_ea963247-b2da-462c-b06c-855a76451fa8_300x.jpg

No15_bottle_03_700x800_7b730b01-1fc6-4f92-96e1-3127d7445139_300x.jpg

RedCrown_bottle_02_700x800_987b4b42-e53b-4a09-87c1-e2c74112125a_300x.jpg

La_Lanterne_Rouge_1_300x.jpg

IrisMacchiato_bottle_02_700x800_b9f8f5b9-9f0c-4d02-9a54-7e86d26a0e33_300x.jpg

Mayura_bottle_02_700x800_71110140-2556-457a-adc9-6ffe1b0b2f61_300x.jpg

LAnimaDellaRosa_bottle_02_700x800_Finalist_300x.jpg

MuscOudMaharaja_bottle_02_700x800_91544652-0407-4e54-8b17-f7daec792b15_300x.jpg

ChypreOudMaharani_bottle_02_700x800_bee00cf7-f9db-4fcb-84ad-438079dfcbe5_300x.jpg

124494_img-9543-auphorie-ryukyu_720.jpg

Lets not forget about their "Impromptu" collection of 7 scents, but i am too tired to upload their images

BingMaYong_bottle_02_700x800_879c4308-03d7-44fd-92ca-d350f6cc08ca_300x.jpg

375x500.60170.jpg

And the most recent one:

OsmanthusKyara_bottle_02_700x800_ad9e1752-fd94-4a62-a93d-aa204e81e382_1000x1000.jpg

Default Re: Auphorie - Dedicated page

Pfhew

Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    Pfhew
    Lol.

Haven’t ever heard of them. What genre?

They are mainly working with vegan media, kyara attar is the first to use animal materials.
    Style wise - i would say they are more oriental, but honestly speaking, they are all over the place. French style, flowers, oud, gourmand, you name it.

I think they have pretty good taste, didnt try whole lot, but every single composition was pleasant to say the least

Really curious to hear reviews of their Kyara oil.

I greatly enjoy their work but find it a crying shame that they are moving towards ever greater inaccessibility. Suddenly the sample option is no more, prices have climbed and they are releasing ultra-limited editions. I really don't have the cash or dedication to follow them down that path.
    Nonetheless, Shambhala remains the perfume bottle that I would grab on my way out if my apartment was on fire.
    At worst, one is in motion; and at best,
    Reaching no absolute, in which to rest,
    One is always nearer by not keeping still.
    Thom Gunn 'On the Move'

Really excited that you started a page for them, Mark-7... I’ve liked every scent I’ve tried from them and LOVED a few(Miyako, L’Anima della Rosa)—- very much looking forward to the Kyara Osmanthus Attar.

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Zen is still my personal favorite as I wish the brothers would reintroduce sometime again. A bamboo rainforest after a heavy rain. I don't have anything like it. Just a meditative and outstanding scent.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by gimmegreen View Post
    I greatly enjoy their work but find it a crying shame that they are moving towards ever greater inaccessibility. Suddenly the sample option is no more, prices have climbed and they are releasing ultra-limited editions. I really don't have the cash or dedication to follow them down that path.
    I share these sentiments. Have enjoyed most the stuff I tried and kinda missed Binturong. But their frequent price escalations and somewhat aggressive play at FOMO marketing are big turn offs.

Basenotes Plus

Nonetheless, Shambhala remains the perfume bottle that I would grab on my way out if my apartment was on fire.
    My feelings as well. I'm simply not a fan of only being able to source one, uber-expensive bottle of something that can never be replenished.

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    My feelings as well. I'm simply not a fan of only being able to source one, uber-expensive bottle of something that can never be replenished.
    I think almost certainly they make additional batches of the classics and "bring them out of the vaults" when hype for the "lost" version is swelling up. Miyako will come back, for sure. I just have a feeling.

Yes, as expressed earlier, they work with vegan media, so it shouldnt be a problem making more. They do it with Miyako. On the plus side, it is extrait so no need to over spray and if they could keep their price up to $170, with discounts they sometimes offer it is manageable.

Hear hear! I agree with your very well expressed sentiments. Couldn't have put it better myself. The story of a pair of self taught brothers from SEA winning awards was heartwarming and I had intended to support their efforts all the way... That is until they started the whole system of vaulting, price increases and now extremely limited once-in-a-lifetime tiny batch creations that most of us will never get to smell. A waste of genuinely good talent. Especially with their latest release- I'm sorry, but I genuinely cannot see it as anything but a quick cash grab from a fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by zachong View Post
    Hear hear! I agree with your very well expressed sentiments. Couldn't have put it better myself. The story of a pair of self taught brothers from SEA winning awards was heartwarming and I had intended to support their efforts all the way... That is until they started the whole system of vaulting, price increases and now extremely limited once-in-a-lifetime tiny batch creations that most of us will never get to smell. A waste of genuinely good talent. Especially with their latest release- I'm sorry, but I genuinely cannot see it as anything but a quick cash grab from a fanbase.
    While I agree with it being annoying, I think it’s very understandable that two young entrepreneurs see a winning business strategy from the Areej type houses and they think, “we could do that and be the next big brand”— even if they’re winning awards, they may not be financially stable yet. So I try and just appreciate the work and take the rest with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    While I agree with it being annoying, I think it’s very understandable that two young entrepreneurs see a winning business strategy from the Areej type houses and they think, “we could do that and be the next big brand”— even if they’re winning awards, they may not be financially stable yet. So I try and just appreciate the work and take the rest with a grain of salt.
    I think they did this before areej made perfumes. Wonder if we could have a poll of favourite vaulted perfumes we want re-issued?
    Dont know how to initiate a poll here though

I think they did this before areej made perfumes. Wonder if we could have a poll of favourite vaulted perfumes we want re-issued?
    Dont know how to initiate a poll here though
    I think they just made a certain amount back then and when they had to whip up a new batch and age it, it went into the vault. I don’t think that’s a FOMO marketing tactic. Now, I agree, they may be playing it up. But in the past everything was generally available for quite some time. Certainly before Miyako won.

Sillage Monster

I look forward to learning more about the House of Auphorie. So far, they have been in the far background of my awareness. The fragrances are attractively named and bottled.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.
    Currently wearing: Eau Capitale by Diptyque

I think they just made a certain amount back then and when they had to whip up a new batch and age it, it went into the vault. I don’t think that’s a FOMO marketing tactic. Now, I agree, they may be playing it up. But in the past everything was generally available for quite some time. Certainly before Miyako won.
    Maybe i dont undetstand, but what is the logic behind vaulting an already made product, that money were spent on, for a fairly young brand? Then out of the blue bring it back?
    My understanding is that they sell everything, and vault formula, because they claim they make "special" ingredients and distilations.

Whether they fomo or not, doesnt matter to me. I buy what i like and its only my decision.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Yes, these are the reasons why it's a pass for me. I had Miyako back when it was released, but sold it and never missed it.

Maybe i dont undetstand, but what is the logic behind vaulting an already made product, that money were spent on, for a fairly young brand? Then out of the blue bring it back?
    My understanding is that they sell everything, and vault formula, because they claim they make "special" ingredients and distilations.

Whether they fomo or not, doesnt matter to me. I buy what i like and its only my decision.
    That’s what I’m saying. The “vault” is probably more like a holding pattern. It’s “out of stock” or unmade. They probably need to calculate the amount of interest in a second(or third) batch and while they do so... “INTO THE VAULT”—- in the case of Miyako, they almost certainly know it’s coming back but are trying to drive up excitement by placing it in a “will they/won’t they” context. Whereas something like Binturong, they might not know whether they want to bring it back.

Then there are other products like the Kyara attar that they might not be able to recreate and only ever did once as a special thing. Anyway, that’s my guess. I’d say these guys are a long way off from “hype machine”— though Ryuku almost made me want to do a Jeremy Fragrance spin ;-)

—-
    I guess, at the end of the day, what I’d say about small brands doing “limited releases”—- they don’t have the resources of big houses. They don’t have the marketing budget or the inside track to make sure they’re always seen and heard first when they release. The one thing they do have is the scarcity principle and a niche fan base. I can’t fault them for using the tools they have to stay in business. That’s my two cents when all is said and done.

Ok ok. I get it. They actually have Vault section, and those "never coming back", whether "sold out" in the main fragrance tab- they will be re-made, just need maturation.

Limited kyara i think they are just experimenting to gain experience, which is ok with me. Others like binturong and stuff, i'd like to see as continuous offer

Basenotes Plus

Because I am someone who loves to stay with certain fragrances over the long run, their market maneuvers make me decidedly unenthusiastic.

I contacted them a while back and asked very politely when Miyako might be making another appearance. All they would say was "Stay tuned." This was months ago. I am simply not a fan of this kind of this kind of unreliability.

Miyako seems to be the only perfume they keep in production. The rest get vaulted; I think the reason being that they work with special naturals that would cause perceptible batch variations - but maybe I'm wrong there.

My regrets are simple:
    Previously they offered potential customers samples and now they don't. $228 is too much for me to spring on a blind buy. I know I could go to decanters to try before buying but that's one extra bit of hassle.
    Their prices have gone up - partly due to a larger bottle size. But 30 ml (the previous size) suited me just fine for such powerful perfumes.
    They have started releasing uber-pricey ouds aimed at a specific demographic. I was able to try Musc Oud Maharaja - and while it was a successful composition, it didn't convince me to break my piggy bank.
    Increasingly FOMO and luxe terminology is creeping into their marketing blurbs - a turn-off.
    I think the last great perfume they released (from the Heritage line-up) was Mayura - haven't tried Song of Everlasting Sorrow because I can't buy samples from them any more.

I still think most of what they produce is miles ahead of many niche/indy perfumers and would love to continue following them. But their marketing strategy makes it difficult and I've got a life to be getting on with.
    Thom Gunn 'On the Move'

I 100% agree with the last two points. No more sampling is a huge bummer and it would be great if they’d be a bit more forthcoming when you actually reach out to ask. Especially since I’m almost sure they’ve told a Youtuber that Miyako is coming back.

That said, they really are great perfumes.

I 100% agree with the last two points. No more sampling is a huge bummer and it would be great if they’d be a bit more forthcoming when you actually reach out to ask. Especially since I’m almost sure they’ve told a Youtuber that Miyako is coming back.

That said, they really are great perfumes.
    MIyako should be back - the website entry reads 'Currently out of stock' and it's still there in the line-up. They have previously sold out on some perfumes and then made another batch. Vaulted perfumes go into the section marked 'vault' on their website.
    Thom Gunn 'On the Move'

Blog Entries

Same here.

l tried Eau de Nyonya while they were still offering samples & loved it, but l missed the boat on Mayura, which l'm sure l would have loved too.

Some of the newer ones sound wonderful, but l just can't be bothered with that level of inaccessability.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

First video is out, unfortunately not a good review at all. Quite baffled why he wouldnt dissect the composition and smell, but seems kyara is not front player here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SOgPuRQveK0

Please post your reviews of kyara attar as you receive your packages

First video is out, unfortunately not a good review at all. Quite baffled why he wouldnt dissect the composition and smell, but seems kyara is not front player here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SOgPuRQveK0

Please post your reviews of kyara attar as you receive your packages
    Agree. It was more of a review of the packaging and presentation rather then the scent itself. I'm none the wiser on the scent after watching.
    Currently wearing: Kyara by Di Ser

First video is out, unfortunately not a good review at all. Quite baffled why he wouldnt dissect the composition and smell,

I presume there will be an updated video of this, with a more in depth review and final score based on his points system.
    Last edited by Sultan al Hindi; 5th August 2020 at 09:17 AM.

Here we go! First wearing of the Osmanthus Kyara attar. Note that I'm no oud or deer musk buff - haven't smelled kyara in any form or shape before. I also would like to add the disclaimer that there's probably no way for me to be objective here, since I love Auphorie and I spent a shitload of money on this. So, chances are I'll probably love it through pure suggestion, if nothing else...

This opens with so much osmanthus, osmanthus, osmanthus. The obvious parallel would be to Miyako but where that fruitiness is tart, fizzy, happy in the opening, this is sooo calm and serene. Ten minutes in, there is a very slight animalic sweetness coming from what I would assume is the musk. Plays into the osmanthus fruitiness seamlessly. I'm having a hard time discerning notes at this point. It's insanely smooth, and very evocative. From what I've read up on Kyara, it can have a sweet, fruity, lightly floral scent profile, and so what I'm experiencing might be an interplay between osmanthus, kyara and musk. 30 minutes in now - is there a slight incensy woodyness creeping up from underneath? It's going to be real fun to see how this develops. Too bad I'll have to go to sleep in 2-3 hours, will have to wait until tomorrow to give it a full wear. Will wear it at work, this could offend no one. I expect this might make my colleagues to go in a state of mindfulness and go about their workday in harmony with the universe.
    Currently wearing: Jeke by Slumberhouse

From what I can tell, this is pretty linear stuff. No real development as of now, which for me is completely fine. I need to try to tinker a bit with application (did three swipes now, and inspired by the Therapeutic Fragrance guy, rubbed it into my beard and mustache, which might have made me slightly anosmic to nuances in this) and try it in different settings. For now, though, I can say that I'm pretty surprised about not feeling that owning this and Miyako both is redundant, given that they're both osmanthus heavy. The Auphorie osmanthus doesn't seem to be a one trick pony. This attar gives me a feeling of serenity and calm which I usually only experience with fragrances that are more incense- and wood-forward. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to hearing what others pick up in this. Please do share!
    Currently wearing: Jeke by Slumberhouse