Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default A question about Paco Rabanne vintage bottle?

Just wondering if the bottle says "Paris" on the front, towards the bottom, is this a sure sign that it's vintage? There's a shop I found that has this, but the bottle looked pristine and new, so I wasn't sure. Or is this a Paris variant of current formulation distributed in the US, that's made in Italy?
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Icon Racing by Dunhill

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Default Re: A question about Paco Rabanne vintage bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Just wondering if the bottle says "Paris" on the front, towards the bottom, is this a sure sign that it's vintage? There's a shop I found that has this, but the bottle looked pristine and new, so I wasn't sure. Or is this a Paris variant of current formulation distributed in the US, that's made in Italy?
    Does the name appear one or two times on the bottle? Smoke-tinted glass or green? This is 4th version bottle:
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Does the name appear one or two times on the bottle? Smoke-tinted glass or green? This is 4th version bottle:
    The bottle looked greenish to me, but not like the current green colored ones, more of an olive green perhaps? I've attached a picture, this is exactly what it looked like, same size too.

prbottle.jpg

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

The bottle looked greenish to me, but not like the current green colored ones, more of an olive green perhaps? I've attached a picture, this is exactly what it looked like, same size too.

prbottle.jpg
    It's not 'deep vintage', but it's a good version. I have this one in splash, it is excellent. The box is grey-ish olive. This is what my version looks like (photo from web).

I think it's the same one as you posted in post #3.

I just checked my box, it says made in France.
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

There's a thread somewhere on vintage PRPH. That "Paris" bottle is certainly vintage, but it's not the earliest bottle design. The first ones had a metallic logo:

F35A8C3E-BBA4-4922-A59D-23F7B0EE9E6D.jpg

It does say "Paris," but not centered like on yours. I have no idea if there was any reformulation between these bottle designs, let alone how significant. Note the "e" in the first pic, which makes it newer than freewheelingvagabond's bottle.

Blog Entries

Thanks guys.

Heaven's made of oakmoss

prbottle.jpg
    I think that's a 3rd/late 3rd version bc of the bigger logo. Very nice one

Basenotes Plus

Don't know if this answers your specific question however it offers some interesting tips.

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/376...paco%20rabanne
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the help guys, but I'm still left a bit puzzled here. Bottom line, I bought it, and it doesn't smell like vintage to me. I have a decant of vintage I bought from an Ebay seller, and the opening is much less abrasive, it's smoother, and also very strong. The one I bought looks identical to the one I posted, but there is no sticker on the bottom, and it looks like there was one on the back, or something that was pealed off because of some markings/residue left behind. The bottle itself which i bought unboxed is in fantastic condition, if it is in fact vintage, it looks brand new. The seller in the shop let me spray it on skin before buying it, because he saw I was serious about buying it, and the opening is fantastic, it's strong and soapy, but it goes away in about 30 seconds, which I didn't realize at the time, I sprayed it on and he rung it up. So comparing the 2 side by side, the one I just picked up has a much more sharp, chemical and abrasive, even pungent smell after the initial spray.. the best way i can describe it is comparing old school Polo to new Polo, same thing pretty much, vintage is smooth and strong, new is sharp and strong. Both are really strong, I'm even tempted to say this one I got has a stronger opening than the decant that IS vintage. I thought it saying "Paris" on the bottle would be a dead ringer for it being at least pre 2011 when IFRA made oakmoss obsolete in frags, and ruined the formula for so many.

In any event.. $20 for a 1 oz PRpH is still a fair price in any formulation. I just don't really like the current formula of it, because I've experienced the vintage and it's just world's better. Polo on the other hand.. I think all formulations of it are good, but vintage is better. Fwiw, the current Polo formulation it really pretty good until the dry down, then it gets the fakemoss.

Heaven's made of oakmoss

I thought it saying "Paris" on the bottle would be a dead ringer for it being at least pre 2011 when IFRA made oakmoss obsolete in frags, and ruined the formula for so many.
    The bottle in your photo is pre-2000.

notice the bendy horns

Older isn't necessarily better with PRPH.

It's been around a long, long time and was in the cupboard of half the Western male population. Not always out of the sunlight and stuff.

Third & fourth edition packaging seems to be the happy place if you are after tasty jus and not just shopping for bragging rights.

For reference only, in case n00bs come to this thread based on the fetching topic, of course.

/Acey

Dependent