Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: Today I bought August 2020

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Faubourg View Post
    Bought Rouge by Hermes which I've had my eye on for a few years now!

Also caved in and bought two new Neil Morris fragrances, Sun Beach and Voices in Water.
    Rouge Hermès is a really nice one we don’t hear about too much.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    Rouge Hermès is a really nice one we don’t hear about too much.
    It's gorgeous! I keep coming back to it in the past four years. I might as well finally make it my own.
    Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, orange blossom, osmanthus, ylang ylang, immortelle, violet, jasmine, plum blossom, heliotrope, and iris)
    Orientals (especially spicy, woody, and floral orientals)
    Boozy notes
    Chypres (especially with real oakmoss)
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances
    Great longevity and sillage

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

L'Homme A La Rose by Maison Francis Kurkdjian 70ml EDP

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    L'Homme A La Rose by Maison Francis Kurkdjian 70ml EDP

Congrats hednic
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I really need to do a proper skin test of MEM and MAAI, and buy if I like them.
    They’re both great IMO. I have a lot of vintage perfumes, drowning in oakmoss, so MAAI felt redundant to me, at the time, but I couldn’t get enough of MEM.
    Last edited by khanada; 12th August 2020 at 04:16 PM.
    "Put on some red lipstick, and live a little."--Dita Von Teese
    Currently wearing: tba by Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Congrats hednic
    Thanks
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Between two pine trees

Quote Originally Posted by khanada View Post
    ExtremeK tipped me off to Mad et Len. Just what I needed! Another house to obsess over I’m equally enthusiastic, about their candles and other home accoutrements—handsome cast iron implements, somehow medieval and ultra modern, all at once. Gothic, even. My boyfriend, who loves to have wax melts and scented oil burners in every room, is equally mad about them.
    You're . . . welcome?? Did you ever try Apocalypstick? It's one of the weirdest roses I've ever smelled -- it's got a tarry, creosote-y vibe going. Have you received your bottle of Decadent yet? If you love their other stuff, you're going to LOVE the "box" your Decadent bottle comes in.

I really need to do a proper skin test of MEM and MAAI, and buy if I like them.
    Um, yes, yes, you do! Given your willingness to blind buy, I'd almost say just buy them. MAAI is the closest thing to a big, skanky, old-school chypre you can find, except maybe Diaghilev. And MEM -- just. Wow. It may not be your cup of tea initially, but give it a while. Because, suddenly, one day, you won't be able to do without it. It's a funny fragrance that way.

Iris Malikhan by Maison Crivelli 100ml EDP

Thanks! I approach the Allegorias, with a little trepidation. I like the ones I have tried, but have not found many that blow my skirt up, consistently enough, to warrant a full bottle. There are a one or two that are discontinued (Ylang and Vanille is the exception, that proves the rule). Guerlain used to offer them, in small bottles, in sets and promotional samples, and I wish they still did, or, if they do, that I could find more. I love the indulgent experience of full bottles, but I am a very practical person, and do not understand why more people don’t buy decants, especially when I peruse the sale thread.

ExtremeK tipped me off to Mad et Len. Just what I needed! Another house to obsess over I’m equally enthusiastic, about their candles and other home accoutrements—handsome cast iron implements, somehow medieval and ultra modern, all at once. Gothic, even. My boyfriend, who loves to have wax melts and scented oil burners in every room, is equally mad about them.
    I agree, I don't think I would pay full price for any of them but I've been lucky to find used bottles at a great price. I'm eyeing Ylang and Vanille actually. I prefer decants as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    You're . . . welcome?? Did you ever try Apocalypstick? It's one of the weirdest roses I've ever smelled -- it's got a tarry, creosote-y vibe going. Have you received your bottle of Decadent yet? If you love their other stuff, you're going to LOVE the "box" your Decadent bottle comes in.

Um, yes, yes, you do! Given your willingness to blind buy, I'd almost say just buy them. MAAI is the closest thing to a big, skanky, old-school chypre you can find, except maybe Diaghilev. And MEM -- just. Wow. It may not be your cup of tea initially, but give it a while. Because, suddenly, one day, you won't be able to do without it. It's a funny fragrance that way.
    I've become a blind buyer by force due to quarantine (before this I never shopped online for anything, only things I could only get abroad...) but now that things are slowly opening around here I'd rather test in person if at all possible!!

I definitely want to try these though and give them a closer look. They both seem very much my cup of tea.
    Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, orange blossom, osmanthus, ylang ylang, immortelle, violet, jasmine, plum blossom, heliotrope, and iris)
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Iris Malikhan by Maison Crivelli 100ml EDP

Congrats hednic
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Congrats hednic
    Thanks

Basenotes Plus

MFK - Chanel.jpg

Rescue perfumes - when you are standing near enough to hear someone in line at a hotel, sniffing both wrists, and you over hear this: "Gosh, these are both pretty but just not ME.... What should I do with them?"

Between two pine trees

Default Today I bought August 2020

I definitely want to try these though and give them a closer look. They both seem very much my cup of tea.
    For sure, 24F! Definitely try them. MEM may grab you right away. If it doesn’t, keep giving it full wears; it snuck up on me. When I first sampled it, I was like, “oh, hell no!” and then, suddenly, I was head-over-heels smitten. Time invested pays dividends where MEM is concerned.

MAAI, on the other hand ... if you like vintage chypres, just order it. There’s nothing else currently made like it.

So, we can add Parfum d’Empire Aziyade and Parfums de Nicolai Musc Monoi to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick58 & Beth62 View Post
    MFK - Chanel.jpg

Rescue perfumes - when you are standing near enough to hear someone in line at a hotel, sniffing both wrists, and you over hear this: "Gosh, these are both pretty but just not ME.... What should I do with them?"
    Congrats. Chanel CDR is great stuff. Enjoy

MFK - Chanel.jpg

Is that how you got them? Please elaborate—it sounds so interesting.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Two very nice ones!

Congrats on your bottles. Have you tried Feve Delicieuse from Dior? Another great gourmand.

Van Cleef & Arpels has a vanilla based scent called Orchidée Vanille. These two are worth sampling if you haven't tried them already.
    Hey N.CAL, just got an 8ml decant of the Feve. I read a review that said it's like Mon Guerlain? And that it's like TF Tobacco Vanille. I'm excited, I'm so stuck in powder notes land, and staying there awhile, so this should be fantastic for me.

MFK - Chanel.jpg

Did you buy them from that person on the spot?

Quote Originally Posted by lemonlimelady View Post
    Hey N.CAL, just got an 8ml decant of the Feve. I read a review that said it's like Mon Guerlain? And that it's like TF Tobacco Vanille. I'm excited, I'm so stuck in powder notes land, and staying there awhile, so this should be fantastic for me.
    Looking forward to your thoughts of Five Delicieuse. Also If you're looking for some older TF let me know.

I must slow down on this buying spree. I think it comes from being in the city, more or less alone, with my honey at the country house. Medical stuff on the horizon is not quelling my free floating anxiety, and it is much too hot to get out of the house, and walk, or visit the park.

I was shocked and amused by the amount of vitriol, inspired by one of today’s purchases. I loved it at first sniff, never thought I would get my hands on a bottle, and then one popped up on eBay. It’s mine now.

Also, one last big white floral purchase, to balance out the Amber binge:

An under the radar Mark Buxton masterpiece:

And maybe something else, depending on how an auction turns out.

I got my Ambre Decadent secondhand, so no box came with it. (I do wish people would save their boxes. I just fold mine flat, if I can, and keep them in a plastic tote in the attic. Easy-peasy). I have not tried Apocalipstick yet, it is very hard to find in the US, and I am looking at a French retail site, from where I may have to make a blind buy. I do not mind stereotypically “ugly” smells, like creosote and burnt coffee, so I am not afraid of tar and railroad ties in the sun, with a rose accord. BTW, ExtremeK, I did not mean to ignore your questions about Amber Attar. I’m not swapping, or sending samples, until summer ends—I have sent, and received, too many leaked, boiled, steamed, ruined samples, both coming and going, during hot months, and ours last until October, usually.

Between two pine trees

Oh, it’s too bad you didn’t get the box! It’s actually not a box at all. It’s a metal enclosure that looks more like a crypt than a box, totally in keeping with that gothic vibe you like. I can’t find the one that held my husband’s bottle of Red Square (probably misplaces during the move), or I’d take a photo of it for you.

I actually don’t remember asking about the Amber Attar.... maybe it was someone else? Or I’ve already forgotten? That’s certainly possible!

I must slow down on this buying spree. I think it comes from being in the city, more or less alone, with my honey at the country house. Medical stuff on the horizon is not quelling my free floating anxiety, and it is much too hot to get out of the house, and walk, or visit the park.

I was shocked and amused by the amount of vitriol, inspired by one of today’s purchases. I loved it at first sniff, never thought I would get my hands on a bottle, and then one popped up on eBay. It’s mine now.

Aha, got it. An old love, that will shine in the coming months, but also wear well right now.

Oh, it’s too bad you didn’t get the box! It’s actually not a box at all. It’s a metal enclosure that looks more like a crypt than a box, totally in keeping with that gothic vibe you like. I can’t find the one that held my husband’s bottle of Red Square (probably misplaces during the move), or I’d take a photo of it for you.

I actually don’t remember asking about the Amber Attar.... maybe it was someone else? Or I’ve already forgotten? That’s certainly possible!

I thought the boxes looked really cool. I suppose, the seller might have tried to stick me with a humongous shipping fee, if the box is heavy. Maybe it was someone else who asked about Amber Attar. It was in one of the SOTD threads, when we were talking about ambergris.

Acqua di Parma Colonia Pura 100 ml
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Nice. I've never got the chance to try Iris Macchiato from Auphorie. I'd be interested knowing your thoughts are of this one. Enjoy your other bottles as well.

So after major dithering going back to last year finally bought Slow Dance by Byredo. I kept sampling on and off and since I had money on my SpaceNK card just bought it.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Slow Dance by Byredo

Yes!

Arrived today by Colissimo / DPD parcel from France:

My 10 late summer / early fall favorites (alphabetical):
    Carbone by Balmain
    Eau de Santal by Floris
    Elixir by Penhaligon's
    Figue Amère by Miller Harris
    Gomma by Etro
    Intense Vetiver By Armand Basi (sorry, not in Directory!)
    L'Edition Impériale - E.d.T. by Courvoisier
    Smoked Vetiver by Clean Reserve
    Viaggio d'Africa by Pal Zileri
    Z Zegna Milan by Ermenegildo Zegna

A few blind buys after a difficult week:

Joy
    Ysatis
    Arpege
    Last edited by 24 Faubourg; 14th August 2020 at 03:47 AM.
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast