Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution

Default SOTD: Saturday, 1st August, 2020

Scent of the Day Thread for Saturday, 1st August, 2020

Useful Links
    * SOTD for yesterday, Friday, 31st July, 2020 (FFD)
    * SOTD for yesterday, Friday, 31st July, 2020 (MFD)
    * SOTD Feature

Basenotes Robot's SOTD
    Today I'm wearing: Sunny Yellow by Dawn Spencer Hurwitz

Bloop bloop bleep

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: SOTD: Saturday, 1st August, 2020

The Night by Frederic Malle

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thumbs up Re: SOTD: Saturday, 1st August, 2020

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

Have a great weekend everyone.

hello all,

Good morning everybody Sotd for an early shift is Prada Candy.

Basenotes Plus

Good morning all !. Happy Birthday kbe .

Regarding smartphones - I find mine to be incredibly useful but I have a strict rule that I only use it when I need to. I haven't been on the train for some time (obvious reasons) but I find it depressing when people board and immediately start messing around on their phones. I prefer the art of conversation or watching the world go by but I seem to be in a very small minority .

We are off to our local country pub for lunch. The owners are long standing friends and I know they will be meticulous but there is still an underlying feeling of trepidation. Nonetheless, it will be great to be back.
    Mrs Q this is where we will be dining. Wish you were here !.

Diptyque - Eau Lente.

Just seen on the news that south-west USA could hit 50 degrees over the weekend. Hell on earth ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    long standing fiends
    Hope your lunch is fiendishly good, Jon!

l also despise the constant obsession some people have with their smart phones. On my walk to & from work l see them walking along looking down at their phones instead of seeing & appreciating what's around them. And often ignoring their little children who are causing mayhem or running out into the road... l'm all for watching the world go by myself.

Happy Birthday, kbe!

SOTD is yet to be decided...
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: tba by Unknown

Freed from BN Institution

Happy Birthday kbe
    Going with vintage L'Heure Bleue extrait today
    Last edited by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer; 1st August 2020 at 09:17 AM.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Djedi by Guerlain

Happy Birthday Kbe!
    I agree that cell phone addicts can be very annoying.
    One of the women who attend my bookclub always has
    her phone on during our meetings and one of her three
    boys ALWAYS rings her whilst this is going on and she
    ALWAYS answers the phone Grrrr!!

It's going to be another hot day here and I have my two
    boys coming round for brunch in an hour.

I am wearing Eau de Rochas.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Tiarè by L'Erbolario

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Hope your lunch is fiendishly good, Jon!
    Thanks for pointing that out (I'll cover the typo with some cellophane crapping ).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out (I'll cover the typo with some cellophane crapping ).
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

IMG_20191210_154131_554.jpg

Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumière Noire pour Homme (2009)
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

I've was browsing yesterday's thread and drew such great comfort from knowing that I'm not alone in sticking to my 'dumb' phone. I resisted getting any mobile at all for years but then had to give in when my parents got increasingly elderly and being contactable while out and about became a necessity.

It's quite muggy here, so it'\s Xerjoff's Fars to cut through that.
    At worst, one is in motion; and at best,
    Reaching no absolute, in which to rest,
    One is always nearer by not keeping still.
    Thom Gunn 'On the Move'

Blog Entries

lt's a little cooler here today with some heavy grey cloud cover.

We're getting ready for the first proper (i.e. non-friendly) Rangers game of the season here, & excitement is mounting.

l'm wearing Avon's Hawaiian White Ginger from my vintage bottle, & it seems to have lost a lot of its potency since l last wore it, almost a year ago!

Better days are coming

Blog Entries

I hope you can find happiness in your 2020 birthday, kbe. We decided to postpone our daughter's birthday a whole year. She gets to stay a year younger, and we can have a much better celebration 362 days from now.

Anyone remember the tv series Scrubs? Daughter's friend got her a personal birthday video from the high-fiving surgeon "The Todd" as a gift. It cost $50. To get a personal video from the Dr. Cox actor would have been better, but that's $200. One of the humor podcasts I listen to is Fake Doctors, Real Friends, co-hosted by Scrubs stars Braff and Faison. They get a little too potty mouth sometimes, but always entertaining.

Thanks for the virtual luncheon experience, Jon. I'm eating up the scenery!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    ... dad's once weekly farmhand today in Vetiver Royal Bourbon, though in coveralls layered over normal work attire, I'm sure I sweated it off within an hour.
    Oooo, some day, an avatar in coveralls, please.

We're getting blessedly comfortable temps, gray skies and a bit of a breeze. Expect to remove plenty of foxtail grass -- while listening to podcasts, of course -- and smelling of PG Cadjmere 18.
    I get by with a little help from my (((friends))).

Hello all

Melodrama by Space NK
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Hello and best to everyone. Happy birthday, kbe!

Jon, do try and enjoy your lunch. <3 Not surprisingly I’m with you (and all others so inclined) on my dislike of cell phones. I vastly prefer people watching and/or face to face interactions - and deep, meaningful conversations over superficial chatter. Part of my being an introvert, I’m sure.

Serge Lutens Tubéreuse Criminelle today. Take care, all.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

doomed smeller

It isn't as bad / hard as I thought it would be - figuring out the new phone. My husband likes playing with it. He isn't sure he is ready to switch yet, as he feels his fingers are too clumsy for navigating it. He has a reliable flip model that he'll keep awhile. I won't be one of those people out in public, face glued to the screen. I would have no place to keep this larger device. No pockets usually and no handbag do I carry. I'll have to leave it in the vehicle.

We finally made it out to one of our favorite lakes yesterday. Long, road trip. YooHoo.

Sweet Oriental Dream by Montale this morning.
    Currently wearing: Formula 86 by Sixteen92

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Homme De Gres.

Dependent

------------------------------------------------
    For what its worth!

Basenotes Plus

I tried for many years to go without a cell phone. I want to say that I was over 30 years old before I got my first cell phone (mind you I turned 30 in 2000). I actually do remember Blackberry handheld phones/devices and I always liked them much better than phones or iPhones. But my old boss bought me (and the paid the bills) for my first iPhones so it was easy to make the switch and now I feel like I couldn't go back to not using them anymore. I enjoy having my entire music library with me, wherever I go (I'm just as much of a snob about music as I am about fragrances)...so there's that. And yet I can go hours away from my phone and not feel the slightest anxiety. Giancarlo, on the other hand, is much younger than I and he uses his phone obsessively. Most times when he's watching tv he will have the TV on, his Mac in front of him on and his iPhone on his lap. I'll usually tease him when I see this lol.

I'm scentless at the moment but I'll put something on in a couple hours - in the meantime I can still smell the remnants from last nights Koh-I-Noor.

It is bright and cloudy - looks like Tropical Storm (or Hurricane) Isaias is 'brushing' the coast of Florida, so just a lot of rain and overcast for now. Let's see how the weekend progresses.

Happy Birthday kbe!
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Italian Cypress
    Currently wearing: Aramis by Aramis

Happy birthday kbe! I am also in the people-watching camp, never use my phone except when absolutely necessary. As a result the battery often goes flat from being neglected. Now, the iPad is a different story, I’m on that far too much.

Enjoying some milder temps with the windows open, ahhh! MDCI Fêtes Persanes.

Between two pine trees

Default SOTD: Saturday, 1st August, 2020

Happy Birthday, kbe!

CapriDog, you smelled wonderful today! Not buying bottles of Rozy and Onda Voile d’Extrait when I had the chance is a big regret.

How was lunch, Jon? Did you do any wandering or walking? I wish we had places here with even something close to the character found in the UK and Europe. Unless one goes downtown or midtown, strip malls rule the landscape. Ugh. The closest we can get to that is someone will occasionally covert an old bungalow or Foursquare into a restaurant. This old soul is a bit misplaced

It’s a totally lazy Saturday, which is just what we need. We’re listening to a Spanish classical guitar playlist on Spotify and reading. I’m thinking about cataloging an ever-growing pile of samples (and contributing to teardrop’s Sample of the Day thread in the GFD forum!). Probably going grocery shopping, probably exercising, probably enjoying some wine on the balcony tonight. Whatever strikes our fancy. But it will be laid back.

I’m starting the day in Love Tuberose but will likely switch to something less sweet after a while.
    Currently wearing: MEM by Bogue Profumo

Sillage Monster

Hello all,

I'm lazing in bed enjoying the dry down of last night's Kerosene Wood Haven. Wow, just wow. I'll be wearing Patchouli Nobile a little later.

I'm looking forward to pottering with my fragrance wardrobe today, as I reorganize bottles for August. That is, if I can stop binge watching Broadchurch. Why does television have to be so damn engrossing?

Have a good day
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Well today didn't stay hot and sunny but developed
    cloud and a spot of rain. I seem to have got quite bad
    hayfever this afternoon so will shower and then apply
    a spritz of my new purchase, which arrived today - Idylle edt.
    I wasn't expecting the bee bottle (when
    did they decide to change it fron the teardrop one?) but it is beautiful
    nonetheless.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Tiarè by L'Erbolario

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

SOTD

Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

Happy birthday Kbe This evening my siblings and mother is coming over for a visit. We will order pizza and maybe have a few glasses of wine SotE for another sunny day (it eventually turned out) is Sycomore. I have the edp.

Basenotes Plus

Kbe's birthday? Oh frabjous day, calloo callay! One of the truly great gentlemen of Basenotes, and one I'm privileged to call my friend.

Jon, I'm so jealous of your charming pub. It looks like a movie set.

I'm wearing vintage Calandre EDT by Paco Rabanne. I thought I detected a similarity to Hermès Calèche, so I put some of that one one arm, and damned if it's not true. They're about 80% identical, which is odd, because Calandre is famously supposed to be identical to Rive Gauche. But the Calèche is just a whole lot louder -- so much so that if I sniff it first and then sniff the Calandre, I'm completely noseblind to the Calandre.

If anybody knows when they switched the name of this from "Calandre Eau de Toilette" to "Eau de Calandre", please let me know. I've been trying unsuccessfully to figure that out.