Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What Other Fragrance Products Do You Use?

Wondering if anyone else explores other Fragranced Products like Shampoos, Conditioners, Deodorants, Aftershaves, Body Washes, etc. with as much enthusiasm as they do for Colognes.

While some stores were shut down I began putting more emphasis onto this stuff to satisfy my sampling itch, found a lot of nice stuff.

What are your favorites, Scent-Wise?

Anything counts, just want to hear about some new stuff outside of Colognes.

Default Re: What Other Fragrance Products Do You Use?

Clays and pomades are great, but i try to stick either with unscented, or buy 'complimenting' scent profile to my cologne. Royal crown is good with citruses, reuzel blue with narcotico by meo fusciuni. Reuzel pink is great with bortnikoffs L'heure, uppercut deluxe is most fragrant out of the ones i tried and pairs well with boozy, chocolaty type fragrance.

I'm almost always gifted body wash or lotion from Bath And Body Works. Usually Christmas or valentine's, etc. I don't use them often because they're so strong and piercing.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

I'm a sucker for many functional products with perfumes. Not that they substitute the perfume, but they can be a satisfying luxury.
    Too many to cite, but among them:
    Le labo has a whole line of shower gels and body creams, and they also (used to?) have bath oils. All are quite faithful to the actual perfume.
    The Amouage shower gels are pretty powerful and I have used several. I'm pissed off at Chanel's discontinuation of Egoiste shower gel.
    And I use Kurkdjian's Aqua universalis laundry detergent.

I wish more houses did bath oils. Apart from its intended use, they can be mixed with unscented shower gels to get something of the intended perfume intensity. As said, le labo used to have them. Ormonde Jayne does as well, but they are expensive. Youth Dew remains the grandmother, it's inexpensive and powerful. Chanel does the no 5 every 5-10 years.

cacio

Actively stay away from scented others accroutements (!) - for clash with designated fragrance of the day or eve.
    However, have been tempted by the whole set of Tabac - EDT,AS,Cologne/Soap/Talc/Hair Oil and Beard Oil.
    I can only imagine how good it feels to don the whole set - mega fresh and sh*t hot!!!

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Ifti nailed it - The Tabac Original line is outstanding and affordable. I use their AS, cologne splash and shaving soaps.
    Outside perfumes I primarily use talcs/bodypowders such as Clubman, Johnson's, Imperial Leather and Axe's Denim cologne talc. I never use shower gels or shampoos, only bar-soaps such as Imperial Leather, Brut, Dapper Dan Vegetable Soap, Aramis as well as looking for vintage bar-soaps, shaving soaps/creams and powders fx. Kouros, Chanels, Borsalino, Ungaro, Trussardi Uomo, Polo etc etc etc...
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I'm pissed off at Chanel's discontinuation of Egoiste shower gel.
    YES! Sadly, I was never able to get my hands on this one. For awhile it was only available in Europe and Asia.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

I have long been hooked on better than average soaps. Art of Shaving makes lavender and sandalwood soaps that are awesome and can work well with lavender or sandalwood based frags.

I am often tempted by soaps/shower gels that correspond to a scent, but rarely go down that path. I did pop for the JUBILATION XXV shower gel and it is a delight.
    I also have DIOR HOMME shower gel.

But with 100+ scents, I don't want to chase 100+ shower gels/soaps.

EGOISTE is the only scent for which I also have the after shave.

The best soap I ever tried was GENDARME bar soap. Magnificent on a hot summer day. Truly awesome, but has been discontinued for awhile.

LE LABO makes some great soaps, but jeesh they are pricey.

I truly think after shaves and soaps/gels directly related to a scent truly enhance the experience but resources aren't unlimited so I have to choose carefully.

I have had very bad luck with deodorants matched to scent. They seemed strong on scent, but didn't work too well.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

All Is Beautiful

None at all
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

I have some aftershave balms, notably Bleu de Chanel and Spicebomb. The former is very high quality and complements many fragrances beyond Bleu de Chanel. Not as high quality for Spicebomb and other gift set balms, but they do go along with other scents too.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I've occasionally used fragrance deodorants, but only if they were part of a house promotion. Otherwise no ancillary products other than some soaps.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm kind of a sucker for nice smelling bath products, I got talked into buying an Hermes shower gel recently to make the spending cut off for a gift card at Saks haha. I went with the Neroli Dore scent and it is wonderful! So good in fact I then bought the cologne haha.

In general though I'm a little hesitant to buy shower gels in the same scent as fragrances I wear just because I feel the association with the shower gel might ruin the fragrance for me somehow, like I will tire of it more quickly or something. I also use only dedicated skin care brands for anything I would put on my face as I just feel they probably make more effective products than fragrance companies. I love how everything Aesop smells but their formulations don't work well for me. I've switched to the very similar brand Grown Alchemist and love all their products, their body wash, bar soap, moisturizer, deodorant etc all smell and work great for me.

The only other fragrance brand products I have is En Passant shower gel which is nice but I wouldn't buy again (for the price the scent experience is rather mild) and Frederic Malle Iris hand cream which is lovely and I might purchase again.

Oh and Serge Lutens bar soap is AMAZING but doesn't seem to exist anymore! I got it free once with a purchase from Essenza Nobile, then I ordered a few more after a quick google search the Perfume Court had it. One day their stock ran out and I've never been able to find it again. I'm not sure if or which Lutens fragrance the soap was based on but it smelled sooooo amazing.

Dependent

Some ancillary products like body wash, bar soaps, balms and body lotion.

Basenotes Plus

Occasionally body wash, bar soap, body lotion, and body oil. L'Artisan has Mure Et Musc body oil which I really like. Tauer also has some nice soaps.

Just to be clear, you can say any products, even dial soap or something you'll find at a grocery store

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by d r e View Post
    Just to be clear, I meant any products, even dial soap or something you'll find at a grocery store counts.
    In that case, all the personal hygiene body products.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

I don't like anything to compete with my perfume, so my answer is, not on purpose. The exception is Chanel No. 5 bar soap, which smells so clean and gorgeous that it puts the current edp to shame. Even better, it doesn't linger.

I do enjoy a naturally scented skincare product, but I don't seek them out. I buy what I think will work, and if it smells good, all's the better (steering completely clear of certain essential oils, ofc).
    "They went to sea in a Sieve, they did, in a Sieve they went to sea." --Edward Lear

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    None at all
    Same here.

Edit:

Just saw the personal hygiene part! I try not to use any scented products because I don't want them interfering with my fragrance of the day. I also tend to dislike most of their clean smell.
    Last edited by Scents And Sense; 2nd August 2020 at 12:53 PM.

I've enjoyed deodorants made by Corpus as well as O'Douds. Both companies make deodorants which are (supposedly) all-natural, smell good, and perform well enough for my needs. I don't really sweat a lot, though. If you want to try out Corpus, they sell packs of mini deodorants. You can either get a 3-pack (your choice of scents) or a 6-pack (which encompasses all their scents).

Basenotes Institution The Colognnoisseur's Avatar

Presently use:
    After shave balm:
    Artisan
    Bvlgari Man in Black
    Grey Vetiver
    GGA
    L’Occitane Cade
    L’OCcitane Cedrat
    L’Occitane L’Occitan
    Spicebomb
    The Dreamer
    Tommy
    Shower gel:
    GGA

Previously used:
    Shower gel:
    L’Occitane Cade
    L’Occitane Eau de Bavx
    L’Occitane L’Occitan

Only shave twice a week on Tuesday and Saturday nights, usually, so I don’t burn through the after shave balms like a daily shaver would.
    THE COLOGNNOISSEUR
    OMAHA, NE
    USA

Among stuff from non-perfume brands, Kerastase Elixir K ultime shampoo has a very niche sandalwoody-spicy scent (too expensive in the US, I get it in Europe). I suspect that Lancome puts more attention in the perfumes for makeup and skincare than in those for actual perfume bottles.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    In that case, all the personal hygiene body products.
    Yeah, I'd hope so lol, but I meant like what are your favorites scent wise

Freed from BN Institution

I've used a few bar soaps that were offered along with the fragrance in the past.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Ifti nailed it - The Tabac Original line is outstanding and affordable. I use their AS, cologne splash and shaving soaps.
    Outside perfumes I primarily use talcs/bodypowders such as Clubman, Johnson's, Imperial Leather and Axe's Denim cologne talc. I never use shower gels or shampoos, only bar-soaps such as Imperial Leather, Brut, Dapper Dan Vegetable Soap, Aramis as well as looking for vintage bar-soaps, shaving soaps/creams and powders fx. Kouros, Chanels, Borsalino, Ungaro, Trussardi Uomo, Polo etc etc etc...
    AH yes, Imperial Leather - has pretty much been a constant in my life - obviously not by choice, it was just there! Only recently rediscovered it thinking aha smells like Equipage Still dont use it for its fragrance though ;-| Do have a butchers every now and again for the aftershave ) don't think there was ever an EDT?) I guess it's been out of production for so long - never took the plunge on any ( discoloured , used, splash bottles ) still hope though

A wee little tablet of soap came in the travel pouch for Givenchy Gentleman - again it's so old I'd never think to use it - looks nice though hehe

Mostly scented aftershave balms/lotions, shower gels/body washes, bar soaps, deodorant stick/gel, quite often from the same scent line and matched with the fragrances existing in the current lineup-mainly but not exclusively from:

most l'Occitane scents already owned and used, occasionally Bogart especially One Man Show, Old Spice, most Yves Rocher male fragrances, same with scent and also male care lines by 4711 and Gillette, also Daniel Hechter, Yardley, Roberto Capucci, Brut

Antaeus deostick!

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    AH yes, Imperial Leather - has pretty much been a constant in my life - obviously not by choice, it was just there! Only recently rediscovered it thinking aha smells like Equipage Still dont use it for its fragrance though ;-| Do have a butchers every now and again for the aftershave ) don't think there was ever an EDT?) I guess it's been out of production for so long - never took the plunge on any ( discoloured , used, splash bottles ) still hope though

A wee little tablet of soap came in the travel pouch for Givenchy Gentleman - again it's so old I'd never think to use it - looks nice though hehe
    You're right, Imperial Leather does have a sorta dry resemblance to Equipage . Hold on now.....are you saying that Imperial Leather made an aftershave?!
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Basenotes Plus

I use a few of my Vintage scents.

Bel Ami Shaker EDT, A/S, Soap, Shave Cream
    Bugatti 1992 EDT, A/S, , Shower Gel
    Etienne Aigner No.1 EDT, A/S
    Moschino Pour Homme EDT, A/S, Stick.
    Armani Eau Pour Homme EDT, A/S, Balm, Soap, Stick
    Eau Sauvage EDT,A/S, Balm, Stick
    Hermes Eau d'Orange Vert EDC,Soap Stick, Shower Gel, Body Lotion
    Monsieur Lanvin Cologne, Soap. The soap has a large dose of Civet
    Gianfranco Ferre for Man, EDT,A/S, Stick

I like the A/S as they use Moisteners with ingredients no longer used.

I like to layer with these scents, when I use.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    You're right, Imperial Leather does have a sorta dry resemblance to Equipage . Hold on now.....are you saying that Imperial Leather made an aftershave?!
    Haha yes did see a few a while ago on the auction bay, no clue as to whether it carried the same notes as the soap (allegedly commissioned by some Russian Royalty if I remember correct, on the cussons website). They looked too far gone, and I didn't risk it with splash bottles... hunt is on!!

Basenotes Plus

I have tried a few shower gels over the past year. They leave me refreshed and provide I nice scent coming out of the shower

Davidoff - Cool water
    AqD - Colonia----- my favorite.