Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Advice on 'Daily' & Warm Weather Fragrance: suggestions welcome! (Melon, Fig, Coconut, Citrus, Salt)

The resurrection of this thread has inspired me to have another crack at this because I'm struggling for what is now my last scent...

TOO LONG; DIDN'T READ: I'm looking for just one more fragrance: something LIGHT, FRESH, and appropriate for casual and daily wear. I'd like it to be relatively modern-smelling but by that I mean late 80s/1990s onwards though something more refined released in the last 5-10 years would be ideal. I'd love something fairly simple and non-descript based on something like coconut, fig, citruses, salty aquatics, and/or melon/watermelon - but by no means am I rigidly wedded to or limited to those notes. They just give an idea of the 'type' of scent I want. I'd love something that smells a bit like surf wax; alternatively I'm fine with something more fruity or more figgy and greener or even something salty or musky. I want ONE (1) fragrance to fit this need so no layering. Price isn't a major issue but ideally no more than £1/ml (I am willing to try up to £4/ml for sampling's sake). Wearability is key in every sense. I accept that it might take ages to find something I love and it will be subjective as to what I end up choosing - and this makes suggesting scents tricky but if there's anything in particular you personally love/loved that sounds applicable I'd be really grateful for suggestions!

LONGER VERSION

My focus on fragrances has always been utilitarian. Though I've enjoyed the hedonism of sampling and discovering (and learning and refining my tastes, undoubtedly), my goal has always been to find a small collection of 'signature' scents. I feel I've been ruthless in managing that yet there's one 'need' that I've found really, really hard to meet: and that is some kind of 'daily', simple, light fragrance.

Perhaps working from the start might be the best way to explain this...

I understand the idea of having a daily fragrance is anathema to many - I even understand that having a 'functional' approach to perfumery, to limiting fragrances within boxes or categories, can have the same effect. But try to see where I'm coming from. I used to wear a light application of Joop Homme as this EXACT fragrance for a few years - something sweet, musky, appealing, basic, and that settled down to a clean kind of skin scent that wasn't obviously a 'perfume' (people regularly thought it was my clean clothes they were smelling). As much as I like Joop it's a tad...basic and strong, but it gives the idea of what kind of 'function' said fragrance has - something to be worn day to day, without really thinking too much about it.

Ideally I'd want something less sweet than Joop - I feel I have sweetness tied up elsewhere. At least, I don't want the same kind of synthetic sweetness: coconut or fruiy sweetness is ok, as long as it's lighter than Aventus's type of sweet fruits (i.e. without the musky-spicy base). Something fresher, 'lighter' (in notes primarily, but also maybe performance) - coconut fragrances seem ideal as long as it's not the Virgin Island Water kind of topical-fruitiness nor the 'sun tan lotion' kind, as does fig, yet too often the former tends to veer hugely feminine and the latter veers in to hairspray territory. So I'm also open to other kind of notes as well as coconut and fig, like salty or fruity aquatics. I really like the opening of Carner Barcelona's Salado which is cucumber and salt and what smells like calone to me but the drydown is massively underwhelming. I don't want overly soapy, nor powdery. Something like Prada Amber Pour Homme is way too old mannish and way too soapy - I still want vibrance and life to it, and even some sort of mass appeal would be great but it's not the most important thing to smell 'sexy', per se. Just a welcome addition if it can.

I tried Acqua di Gio Essenza for several months but I find it way too strong and caustic and although the AdG line would fit my needs to a tee based on the description, having sampled all of them they are simply too strong for what I'm after. The AdG DNA is too much like strong chlorine and that overpowers even AdG Profumo - it never setlled on my skin, unlike the Joop, and smelled too obnoxious for daily wear. The original AdG is great and probably the best suited to my needs as it's a lot weaker than the flankers but ultimately too common - I'd like the scent to be slightly more exclusive than the best selling fragrances of all time...

For the last fortnight or so I've rediscovered Philosykos by Diptyque after initially dismissing it as too feminine and it's much more appropriate and suited to my needs than any AdG. However, as much as I like the opening, I find it a tad bitter in the drydown. I think it's the dominance of cedar. Also, it's fairly feminine at times, still, to my nose. Not massively so but I've already felt slightly self-conscious while wearing it outside, even in our current semi-lockdown world. So I'm branching out again and seeking suggestions.

I'd also want something that doesn't have a significant overlap with any other fragrances I own.

My current 'wardrobe' is as follows:

- Tom Ford Beau de Jour (sig): formal, green and herbal, old school shaving cream; used primarily for work.
    - Michael for Men by Michael Kors (vintage): smoky tobacco, warm, deep, masculine; used for colder weather and casual winter wear.
    - PdM Layton: sweet, sexy, designer-y, mass appealing; used for going out - bars, clubs, dates.
    - THE MISSING 'DAILY' FRAGRANCE: light, breezy, easygoing, fresh; worn as a kind of 'second skin' scent that is super casual and versatile, suited to warm weather.
    - Creed Aventus: retro-classical cologne, versatile 'go to', masculine and timeless; used primarily as a kind of 'stop gap' to fill in when the other 4 don't make sense. Typically used for casual wear but also somtimes work; however I find it too strong for many situations and also too strong in the heat (and too expensive to be a daily dumb grab).

So, by no means am I looking for the most avant-garde of fragrances - that's never been my intention. It took me a while to come back around to some of the current 'hyped' scents like Layton and Aventus, I've not simply settled on them due to some youtube suggestion, don't worry. But I hope it shows that I am quite happy with what some of you might consider basic, generic, or 'bad' fragrances. And I expect the same here. I'm not just expecting you guys to do the leg work for me, either, don't worry, I'm well aware these things take time but I'd love to tap in to the knowledge of the last 30 years of masculines to see if there's a few scents that really 'stand out' in this sort of genre. And I'm hoping by dumping down lots of subjective experience on my part it might be easier to know what to exclude as much as anything else!

I'd probably be looking more at the 90's style of bright, breezy aquatics than (what is to my mind) the 00s style of blue aquatics which were more along the lines of Nautica Voyage or Polo Blue. But, I don't just want something super generic or boring or dated. Honestly, I don't think artistry is going to be to the fore with this kind of scent. Again, maybe this type of fragrance is anathema to basenoters who value artistry but I really just want a 'better than average'-smelling fragrance that meets enough of my needs. I'm very open to the idea that this will take a long time to discover, and might be more of a 'stumbling' upon. All my scents have been slow burns - in that they've been ok to start with and then over time I've really come to love them due to their wearability.

Something that works in the high heat would be ideal, too, without being a wimpy 2-hour citric cologne. I don't want something overly formal or that ends up smelling like 4711 or TdH Fraiche (I've found Heeley's Oranges & Lemons to be ideal for that if I ever want a super formal citrus). If there's a kind of nouveau-aquatic that doesn't cost silly money (I've look at Gallagher's Amongst Waves and Aqua Sextius Jul Et Mad but both seem costly for what they are, the latter prohibitively so, I'm not spending £5/ml on an aquatic) that's been released in the last few years, that would be ideal as well. But really, don't get hung up on genre - if you think something fits the idea of light notes and freshness, whether it goes tropical fruity, or coconutty and sweet, or green and grassy, or salty and watery, or something musky and transparent...AND you think it smells really great...that's all I want. I'm not wedded to notes which I know completely throws open the sheer scale of potential options and might make it difficult to suggest anything but I'd really love for suggestions of fragrances that you guys either have worn or do still wear in this category .

Think in terms of lightness - clear or transcluscent, peach or beige, pale yellows, and light greens and blues.

Performance isn't a major issue. Anything above 5 hours is fine, doesn't have to be a strong projector at all. The more expensive it is, obviously this does factor in somewhat, but particularly for a cheap scent it's nothing something I'm worried about. I'm more concerned by too strong, projection in particular, than too weak.

DISLIKES: Not too many on this front. I struggle with vetiver and wouldn't want something overly floral but that's not a hard no on florals. It's less 'notes' I like rather than execution - I like fig, for instance, but also find some fig accords offputting.

PRICE: £1/ml would be ideal. Don't want to spend considerably over that for a full bottle but willing to if it's special.

This is what I've tried so far that I think would come under consideration for this:

- AdG Essenza: a really good aquatic but too strong, synthetic, and caustic. The original AdG would be the best bet of the whole line but still can't connect with it.
    - diptyque Philosykos: lovely fresh opening, a tad too much cedar, and maybe a bit feminine.
    - Davidoff Good Life: I really like this, though it's a tad synthetic and 'rough', but discontinuation and more importantly 2nd hand prices/lack of availability rules this out.
    - Heeley Figuier: similar issues with availability & cost due to discontinuation, lovely fig scent, a bit weird but really nice.
    - Marc Jacobs for Men: a bit basic. Only just tried this but seems like a 2nd rate fig scent compared to the above, already a bit offputting on my skin.
    - Heeley Coccobello: weird, slightly challenging, but well made; perhaps a tad too feminine and although I like it, it's a tad too dense for everyday wear IMO. Closest I've smelled to 'surf wax' in a fragrance, though, and it's definitely not a million miles away. Close, but not quite.
    - Dior Dune Homme: there's something I quite like about it, but also something I find really offputting. Hard to break down but it's a no from me overall but too synthetic and doesn't work on my skin.
    - Jacques Fath Vers le Sud: something nice about it, I like the juxtaposition of oakmoss with fig, but way too much 'hairspray' and it booms off the skin like an air freshner. Cloying and harsh.
    - Carner Barcelona Fig Man: didn't like this, too dense, too sickly in the base. Not all that fresh.
    - Carner Barcelona Salado: I really like this. The opening is fantastic - cucumber, salt, smells exactly what I'm after I think in the opening - sadly a really dull and generic and even annoying drydown. Too much money to love. If there's a similar opening in a fragrance, with a bit more masculinity, and the same kind of 'modern' quality I think this could be ideal.
    - Clean Reserve Sel Santal: rubbish, synthetic, no real notes. Great idea, awful execution.
    - Hermes Orange Vert: nice, but too expensive for just an orange scent. Like it though, not so much the cedar in the concentree.
    - Caron Yuzu: I like this, yuzu and fig, but has a slight vomit and hairspray vibe to the aromachemicals. Poor performer but cheap.
    - Carven Pour Homme (black bottle): not bad, slightly cheapified GIT but sweeter and denser. Not a massive fan of violet but I like it here.
    - Carven Intense: nice, minty and fresh, well made, but I didn't quit bond with it in any kind of emotional way. Good scent, but not for me.
    - Creed VIW: waaaaaayyyy too tropical, completely the kind of coconut scent I want to avoid.
    - Creed Viking: great opening, poor drydown, too formal and expensive.
    - Creed MI: another sample on the way.
    - CK Obsession Night: I really like the pear note in the opening but the drydown is annoyingly...something. Synthetic, dull, plasticky. Hard to really convey but didn't connect with it.
    - CK Escape: have a sample, yet to try it.
    - CH Chic for Men: found this boring and dull, 'fresh' and light in the wrong way. Soapy.
    - Uomo Moschino: likewise, way too soapy, dated, boring, old mannish.
    - Kenzo Homme: really like this but it's a bit too strong and punchy for the kind of aquatic/marine I might be after.
    - Prada Infusion Homme: clean, clear, but boring and also discontinued.
    - TdH Fraiche: I really like it but, again, too much like a formal/classical cologne template. A bit too 'stiff' for what I want, but good fragrance.
    - Dior Homme Eau: lovely fragrance, fantastically made, but a bit too formal/classy. Maybe that's the wrong description - I feel it's a great work scent, though, and would replace Beau de Jour if anything rather than be this kind of fragrance.
    - Acqua di Parmas: too formal, classical.
    - Bvlgari Tygar: fuzzy, weird, synthetic, made me feel sick. Great bottle, ridiculously overpriced.
    - Issey Miyakes: something I can't really connect with, some kind of 'cloudiness' in their aromachemicals. Fuzzy - not in a bad way, but just too synthetic maybe for my tastes? I'm find with synthetic, but 'smoother' than the IMs I've tried.
    - Kenzos: likewise, similar to IM. Smoother, but the ones I've tried are a bit average and 'boring blue'.
    - Heeley Sel Marin: too niche, too 'weird', too divisive, but well made.
    - TF Oud Minerale: same sort of thing, too expensive, but a bit too divisive and hard to wear for a daily fragrance.
    - Micallef Osaito: didn't like this, it's too mature-smelling, and too feminine. Smells like a bad AdG to my nose.
    - Heeley Note de Yuzu: better than Sel Marin, but let down by the seaweed accord. A bit too uptight as well: standoffish.
    - Profumum Roma Acqua di Sale: not for me, too floral, too feminine, too harsh. No appeal to my nose.
    - Montblanc Individuel: bad version of Joop Homme. Creed Original Santal is an expensive version.
    - Joop Homme: wore it for years, not bad, but want better/different.
    - Hawas/Invictus: way too strong and caustic. D&G Swimming in Lipari the best ambroxan freshie I've tried but still not what I'm after here, too strong.
    - Jo Malone Sea Salt: way too feminine and poor performance
    - Miller Harris Fleurs de Sel: too formal, well made though, too classical and not really fresh enough.
    - Chanel Allure Homme Sport + flankers: quite like these but a bit too strong and chemically. Not a million miles away though.
    - Chanel Allure Homme Blanche: this is probably as close as I've found in the designer category, I really like this. Not quite the notes I'm after but the outcome is amazing. Close.
    - Chanel Allure Homme Cologne: something about this I didn't like, can't remember what, but felt scratchy on my skin.
    - Chanel Allure original: sample still untried as of yet.
    - Prada Amber Homme: boring, soapy, old. Nope.
    - Tom Ford 'blue' fragrances: too expensive, too cologney, too feminine.
    - Villoresi Tropicana: great fruity opening, soapy drydown which lets it down. Feminine, not what I'm after.
    - Creed GIT: great fragrance, but probably too common, and also too expensive. Not quite what I'm after.
    - MFK 'light' scents; Amyris Homme, Gentle Fluidity Silver, Masculin Pluriel: well made, fantastic fragrances, but maybe a bit too powdery and sweet in the wrong kind of way? Not a fresh sweetness, quite dense. Also, expensive for what they are, but masterfully made. A bit too mature/formal?

Cheers to anyone who got through all of that. And thanks to anyone who's able to offer some suggestions!
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Default Re: Advice on 'Daily' & Warm Weather Fragrance: suggestions welcome! (Melon, Fig, Coconut, Citrus, S

Lacoste Blanc (White)
    Versace pour Homme
    Boss Bottled Unlimited
    Mont Blanc Legend Spirit

More pricey:
    Invictus Aqua 2016
    Millesime Imperial

And maybe A&F First Instinct, although I haven't tried it, it seems to have the type of style in notes (Melon, Gin & Tonic) and a newer release with some hype
    Last edited by d r e; 2nd August 2020 at 01:38 AM.

Default Re: Advice on 'Daily' & Warm Weather Fragrance: suggestions welcome! (Melon, Fig, Coconut, Citrus, S

Dior Balade Sauvage

If you like Dune and Philosykos but maybe find the fig a bit too literal, and found Sel Marin too weird, and AdG too synthetic and common, I think Balade could be perfect for you. It has aquatic elements, fruity notes, ozonic/mineralic qualities, and a very interesting “solar” accord. It’s lightweight but present, easy to wear and unique while remaining appealing and classy. Definitely worth a sample.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 7/29/20

Ferrari Noble Fig is a good 'un if you're looking for a good, capable, direct fig scent.

But I'd recommend Bvlgari pour Homme Soir.

A few to explore

Eau des Sens by Diptyque - fun take on eau de colgone type citrus but very modernised

Musc Imperial by Atelier Cologne & Figuer Ardent by Atelier Cologne - joyful simplistic aquatic figs (the former has some passing similarities to Aventus but in an extremely minor way)

Millesime Imperial by Creed - hits three of the areas you mention including, citrus, salty aquatic and melon notes. Can be short lived. Alternatively Milestone by Armaf is a long lasting version which is extremely close and quantitively performs but lacks some of the finesse and complexity on first spraying.

Currently wearing: 154 by Jo Malone

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Haute Provence by Parle Moi De Parfum
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Hmm,

IMO, the best fig fragrances are:

Best realistic fig scent = L'Artisan Premier Figuier (it's basically the same as Diptyque's Philosykos, same perfumer [Olivia Giacobetti], but better for me because my nose just kept getting a "bug spray" tone from Philosykos that I couldn't shake, but I loved the central scent. L'Artisan Premier Fuguier ditches that odd effect and smells exactly like Philosykos in every other way. Unfortunately, if you find Philosykos too feminine, you will find this to be the same, but I just wanted to include this one because it's the better of the two. L'Artisan Premier Figuier > Philosykos but no one has broached this comparison possibly because Philosykos has such a strong following/fans.)

Best overall fig-centered scent = Acqua di Parma - Fico di Amalfi (Leans fresh 'barely, but isn't transparent, has a bit of substance and is a tad sweet without offending. A very satisfying Summer Fig fragrance that is unquestionably leaning towards masculine. There is a kind of tart portion to the scent that seems to teeter on the edge of being kind of like a candy "Sweet-Tart", but also smelling like a natural tart in real fruit. This confusing "duality of tart" is unique considering the fresh aspect that still is in the DNA of the fragrance. I really enjoy this fragrance. It doesn't give the impression of being a complex fragrance and seems to almost come off simplistic, but after repeated wearings I have to say that the perfumer put real thought and art into this. It should not be dismissed as just another freshie.)

Best play on fig = Costume National Homme (Although not really 'fresh',and a bit rich for 100+ degree Summer, it can work as an early Summer or for indoors during Summer. Smells like the dried fruit in a trail-mix bag with a lavender & chalky-mint base. Possibly the 'happiest' scent in my entire wardrobe. If you've never smelled it, I think you will be shocked that it didn't become 'big'. It was made in 2009 and I think it smells better than all of the biggest 'hit' fragrances the market produced since its release. It even 'kind of' satisfies a gourmand itch without really being a gourmand, if that makes any sense. IMO, it's one of the most underrated scents made since 2009.)

Great Summer Freshie:

Creed - Selection Verte (This may not pass your rule for a 5 hour wear unfortunately, but it's a very beautiful 100+ degree hot weather fresh fragrance. Classy too. I had to buy a flacon of this as Creed said they 'vaulted' it and whatever stock is out there now is all you've got left it seems.)

Art of Shaving - Green Lavender (Fresh, seemingly simple, airy and.....worthy in my opinion. One of the best 'clean/fresh' scents without being 'too' commercial.)

Diptyque - L'Ombre Dans Le'Eau (Centered on fresh Black Currant berry. Finished beautifully. Unisex. If you love this you should also sample the very worthy and seemingly related scent The Vagabond Prince - Enchanted Forest. Another fresh Black Currant-centric fragrance that is unisex. I love, love, love both of these off of paper, but alas, my skin ruins these beauties and turns them almost sour after a short bit. My skin doesn't do that to the other freshie fruit fragrances, but fresh black currant fragrances seem to disagree with my skin chemistry. If not for my damned skin's interaction with these, I would own one of them. I think owning them both 'feels' redundant. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau seems a bit thinner/transparent/airy if I were to cite a difference between them, and I enjoy that more 'airy' aspect, but I also enjoy the slightly more punchy berry of Enchanted Forest. It's easy enough to buy samples of both of these. I highly recommend testing these as samples. They are quality fragrances.)

Those are some I had 30 minutes to post about. I might come back for a few more though. These just popped into my head. I hope you end up getting something out of these recommendations.
    Last edited by tspencer; 1st August 2020 at 09:17 PM.

Freed from BN Institution

My suggestions would be Creed Millesime Imperial and Creed Virgin Island Water.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

I recommend you sample Arquiste Sydney Rock Pool for its salty, coconut, sun baked surfer skin vibe.
    Currently wearing: Sir Winston by Bortnikoff

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post

I'd also want something that doesn't have a significant overlap with any other fragrances I own.

My current 'wardrobe' is as follows:

- Tom Ford Beau de Jour (sig): formal, green and herbal, old school shaving cream; used primarily for work.
    - Michael for Men by Michael Kors (vintage): smoky tobacco, warm, deep, masculine; used for colder weather and casual winter wear.
    - PdM Layton: sweet, sexy, designer-y, mass appealing; used for going out - bars, clubs, dates.
    - THE MISSING 'DAILY' FRAGRANCE: light, breezy, easygoing, fresh; worn as a kind of 'second skin' scent that is super casual and versatile, suited to warm weather.
    - Creed Aventus: retro-classical cologne, versatile 'go to', masculine and timeless; used primarily as a kind of 'stop gap' to fill in when the other 4 don't make sense. Typically used for casual wear but also somtimes work; however I find it too strong for many situations and also too strong in the heat (and too expensive to be a daily dumb grab).

So, by no means am I looking for the most avant-garde of fragrances - that's never been my intention. It took me a while to come back around to some of the current 'hyped' scents like Layton and Aventus, I've not simply settled on them due to some youtube suggestion, don't worry. But I hope it shows that I am quite happy with what some of you might consider basic, generic, or 'bad' fragrances. And I expect the same here. I'm not just expecting you guys to do the leg work for me, either, don't worry, I'm well aware these things take time but I'd love to tap in to the knowledge of the last 30 years of masculines to see if there's a few scents that really 'stand out' in this sort of genre. And I'm hoping by dumping down lots of subjective experience on my part it might be easier to know what to exclude as much as anything else!

I'd probably be looking more at the 90's style of bright, breezy aquatics than (what is to my mind) the 00s style of blue aquatics which were more along the lines of Nautica Voyage or Polo Blue. But, I don't just want something super generic or boring or dated. Honestly, I don't think artistry is going to be to the fore with this kind of scent. Again, maybe this type of fragrance is anathema to basenoters who value artistry but I really just want a 'better than average'-smelling fragrance that meets enough of my needs. I'm very open to the idea that this will take a long time to discover, and might be more of a 'stumbling' upon. All my scents have been slow burns - in that they've been ok to start with and then over time I've really come to love them due to their wearability.

Something that works in the high heat would be ideal, too, without being a wimpy 2-hour citric cologne. I don't want something overly formal or that ends up smelling like 4711 or TdH Fraiche (I've found Heeley's Oranges & Lemons to be ideal for that if I ever want a super formal citrus). If there's a kind of nouveau-aquatic that doesn't cost silly money (I've look at Gallagher's Amongst Waves and Aqua Sextius Jul Et Mad but both seem costly for what they are, the latter prohibitively so, I'm not spending £5/ml on an aquatic) that's been released in the last few years, that would be ideal as well. But really, don't get hung up on genre - if you think something fits the idea of light notes and freshness, whether it goes tropical fruity, or coconutty and sweet, or green and grassy, or salty and watery, or something musky and transparent...AND you think it smells really great...that's all I want. I'm not wedded to notes which I know completely throws open the sheer scale of potential options and might make it difficult to suggest anything but I'd really love for suggestions of fragrances that you guys either have worn or do still wear in this category .

Think in terms of lightness - clear or transcluscent, peach or beige, pale yellows, and light greens and blues.
    I bolded some of criteria that spoke to me, but the recommendation has to be... Dior Homme 2020. "I'm your guy". "Wears like a second skin". Modern and masculine. Definitely a lightness to it, a translucent yellow to me. It for sure smells great in the air. Does very well in heat in my opinion. Definitely give it 3+ full wearings

Second suggestion would be Dior Homme Sport.

Also, I appreciate your utilitarian approach to fragrances. Respect
    Using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Basenotes Junkie

Vintage Diorella is a wonderful melon-y, citrus chypre. Wonderfully fresh. Perfectly unisex and would be impeccable on a guy.

Philosykos edt is a reference fig in my opinion, and I think it is perfectly unisex as is Premier Figuier. For me, it's a coin toss between the two.

For coconut+citrus, Creed Virgin Island Water is THE standard. If you find Philosykos feminine, I think you will find VIW to be even more so, although again, I find it to be effortlessly unisex.

A curve ball recommendation is Sill Life in Rio.

All Is Beautiful

Sel Vetiver by The Different Company
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Cologne Grand Luxe by Fragonard
    Azemour les Orangers by Parfum d'Empire
    Currently wearing: Vermeil for Men by Vermeil

Aquatics are just a no no for me, but I did find The Zoo Community really well done. Citrus aquatic, but the aquatics are not overwhelming, and it won't be confused with the tons of traditional masculine aquatics that are too heavy on the calone.

Not a fan of coconut, but when i read your descriptions, the style seemed to veer towards the Hermessences style-light but long lasting. Not sure if there's anything in the line that smells like fresh coconut. Santal Massoia perhaps? but it's not exactly fresh.

cacio

Wow some great suggestions above. Better fragrances that what I came up with, but I am trying to follow your directions closely. Here's a few you might give a try -

Z Zegna Milan - very clean and fresh. I suggest it because it does have a light fig note in the opening. I think this is an under appreciated gem that is reasonably priced, I think.

Rasasi Al Wisam Day - is similar to Silver Mountain Water and Millesime Imperial but the price is what led me to suggest it as it goes for under $1 per oz.

Strangers Perfume: Salted Green Mango and/or Oliver The first is tart, tropical and green and Oliver is clean breezy and fresh. They are priced around $3 per oz. but come in 30 ml. bottles so the price is OK. Both are pleasant.

+1 Balade Sauvage - a fig and vetiver green scent. Very clean.

Bohemian Lime, Goldfield & Banks - great summer lime green scent.
    SHELTER @ HOME'DROBE • mugler kryptomint • rook undergrowth • no. 1 kosmala tonic blanc • bohemian lime • black citrus • aventus cologne • nautica voyage • cdg calamus • dior homme cologne • smn patchouli • aqua allegoria herbs fresca • under my skin • eleventh hour • vilhelm morning chess

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

Sorry no way I read all that...

CREED MIILESIME IMPERIALE
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather
    Clubman/Canoe/Wild Country/Azzaro Pour Homme

Guerlain Homme EDP may be exactly what you're looking for. In basic terms it's a 'mojito' accord on top of a dry/woody yet clean vetiver base. The crisp/refreshing mint note works brilliantly as a tonic in summer heat, with the boozy/sweet rum note rounding off the mint and adding a touch more profoundness. Impressive tenacity too, the mojito accord never quite disappears, just quietens as it slowly tapers into the vetiver base. Plus it's pretty cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by bklow View Post
    I recommend you sample Arquiste Sydney Rock Pool for its salty, coconut, sun baked surfer skin vibe.
    The best in that sort of "sunny marine aquatic" genre, I think. It's just beautifully nuanced.

Not cheap, though.

All Is Beautiful

De Bachmakov byTDC is also quite nice warm weather.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    De Bachmakov byTDC is also quite nice warm weather.
    + 1
    I'm searching for love, for inspiration, on that pirate radio station...

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    Cologne Grand Luxe by Fragonard
    Excellent suggestion.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks everyone, great suggestions so far.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Nido View Post
    Guerlain Homme EDP may be exactly what you're looking for. In basic terms it's a 'mojito' accord on top of a dry/woody yet clean vetiver base. The crisp/refreshing mint note works brilliantly as a tonic in summer heat, with the boozy/sweet rum note rounding off the mint and adding a touch more profoundness. Impressive tenacity too, the mojito accord never quite disappears, just quietens as it slowly tapers into the vetiver base. Plus it's pretty cheap!
    I've wanted to try that one, but I don't want to buy another bottle. Sounds pretty good!
    Using Tapatalk
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

also adding Himalaya by Creed!
    I'm searching for love, for inspiration, on that pirate radio station...

While not dominated by fig, however far more Mediterranean rendition of both fresh and warm notes, also adding among the unisex options Rhubarbe &
    Pamplemouuse by l'Occitane.

Among the fresh and still warm options that nevertheless fit summer wear as well, though fig may be absent in most of these as well: Lacoste Essential, Baldessarini EDC, Roma Uomo, several of the l'Homme Ideal flankers.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

+2 Balade Sauvage

I think the perfect replacement for JOOP PH for OP could be Sisley's Eau d'Ikar

It's very usable and easy to wear for almost any occasion. It mixes a lot of the familiar but throws in a bit of mastic and what I think could be fig leaf to make it a bit special

You seem to have a more complicated relationship to perfumes than I have. So I suggest you to try them to take your own conclusions: Dior Balade Sauvage +1, Annick Goutal Ninfeo Mio, Acqua di Parma Fico di Amalfi (the Blu Mediterraneo series is not so classical) and Colonia Pura, Aqua Quorum, Armani Prive Figuier Eden.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Cabochard by Grès

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    Vintage Diorella is a wonderful melon-y, citrus chypre. Wonderfully fresh. Perfectly unisex and would be impeccable on a guy.
    Agree on this. Another good one that is similar to DIorella is Guerlain Sous Le Vent.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Sous Le Vent by Guerlain