Code of Conduct

Unhappy Bitter sweet state of being well versed in your favorite genre (Pau de Bete review)

We all start seeking certain Holy Grails at some point, when we know exactly what we want and we love the most, we seek and test and hunt for every flagship, every must try, every promising under the radar indie shit in that specific lane, finding so many surprising hits, some over-hyped disappointments and few heart melting loves and we still keep searching for more and more, until we've tried it all. The moment that if you ask your favorite SA or fellow fragheads online all they have to offer have already been covered and considered and tested to bare base notes... (Someone please give me more.)

Silent extinction, a short review (my first) of Peau de Bete: I recently tested the Peau de Bete, the last of its kind, a highly regarded animalic musky leather I was yet to try and it was a beautiful but sad encounter, the scent would have blown me away has it been tested ten or so years ago, a basic dirty leather, smooth and carnal, musky and comforting, naked of any florals or common aroma-chemicals. It starts (from mild to dominant) herbal, woody, green, earthy, spicy, smoky, animalic (civet, castoreum, leather, cumin, musk) and it gradually loses the milder aspects without any new accord popping up in the rest of its particularly short-lived longevity, the sorting of prominence is never changed which means no meaningful transitions and here it feels stripping and bathing the nature off her animal skin, from an arms distance some of these notes combined to make a sweet rubber/plastic accord the smelled way too cheap and synthetic (in a bad way) for what it offers at an inch's distance, which is never good. The close up though is still a beauty, having lived in countryside as a child I have been around horses and know my lively leathers while Parfums de Marly's Godolphin was a far cry from any horse (like the rest of their insanely sweet collection) and where Derby didn't even seem to try to back the image it promised, Peau de Bete comes really close to a recreating a warm stallion skin (minus the wet fur for better or worse), I like it, it's a dying art to choose an inspiration so unorthodox and actually commit to making it happen, it unfortunately goes too far where even the "peau" (French for skin) part shows in its performance as I had read beforehand. In the end it's right up my alley, my city and universe of taste. A familiar face that may scare some but can sneak into my collection without being judged a bit.

I really wanted to find a new love here, despite the awful performance (I almost never nag about performance but this one is criminally silent and short living), I tried to get over it and wore the whole sample in two days but... The beauty wasn't enough, it had nothing more than those I love and own, (this had happened earlier during early quarantine with Francesca Bianchi and Bogue Perfumes), Peau de Bete is a beautiful animalic with nothing more to offer, while the rest of my favorites each have added an X factor over this base or bolded an aspect of it, PdB shied out. It's an straight up "sex perfume" even the skin-scent projection and no-sillage works perfectly for that, the scent itself is even more perfect for such activities... But at no point I felt like needing to own it. I may reconsider owning it if I ever get bored of my existing "boudoir" perfumes, knowing it can be had for €100 through a shop in Dubai.

Default Re: Bitter sweet state of being well versed in your favorite genre (Pau de Bete review)

I too have walked a similar road....with Tobacco.

Default Re: Bitter sweet state of being well versed in your favorite genre (Pau de Bete review)

Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    The beauty wasn't enough, it had nothing more than those I love and own,
    Then it sounds to me like you're better off without it.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

For me, Peau De Bete was one of my favorites from the house and thankfully had no performance issues.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

interesting review and you did get a sample at the end of the day too bad it turns bad and chemical on you at the end, and i get the longevity part.
    maybe once perfume making AI will be in full swing, you can take best parts of what you love and create a dream come true animalic

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    interesting review and you did get a sample at the end of the day too bad it turns bad and chemical on you at the end, and i get the longevity part.
    maybe once perfume making AI will be in full swing, you can take best parts of what you love and create a dream come true animalic
    I’ll be honest man I’m not looking forward to the day when AI takes over the artistry of scent. It’ll be a said day for perfumers everywhere.
    Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

Depends.....what if it was a compact size machine, with perfume ingredient capsules(natural or synthetic or mix), and you could select a specific perfume(either existing composition or even create your own) with option to maybe increase intensity of certain note, and get a fresh bottle of perfume, exactly size you want, for a fraction of the cost, without the need to go into store, without the pain of "harrods exclusive" and you live in north korea and cant travel. it could make samples, get new perfume formulas via updates to the estore. No one is taking away the creativity factor, and it is a little hard for me to believe, at least at this point of time, that machine can have better creativity than human. finally, technology is what you make out of it, just like internet, you can either do garbage stuff with it, or use to own benefit.

Thanks Mak-7, I did enjoy the scent but couldn't think of anywhere beyond my bedroom that it'd be put into good use! I imagine it can also be used as a layering animalic accord, wish I had more to try that, I'll definitely try another sample.
    About AI and technology, yes we'll end up there and I think for the better, there'll still be traditional perfumers (both working traditionally and using semi-auto AI)...

Castingshadows, there will be AI and before that manual machines that'll print the tattoo right into dermis one day! No blowouts, no shaky lines... And honestly although it seems threatening, looking at some of the awful tattoos and "artists" oh the world would be hell of a better place when that happens, I can only imagine good perfumers will think the same, they won't lose their jobs it's the anonymous-clone-maker-who-cant-make scents-last that is replaced by the good AI.