Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Has Your Fragrance Wardrobe Grown Beyond Your Original Intention?

Hey all,

I caught the frag addiction. Originally thinking I'd have no more than 25-30 max, I kept finding original and gorgeous fragrances that I "had to have". And I have been reluctant lately to order and try more samples. I haven't even fully enjoyed and digested the great collection of scents I've acquired. But my sense of wanting to know what might still be 'out there' is strong. Curiosity and seeking a new experience is a strong drive when a hobby has grown on you.

My newest acquisitions were months in the pipeline. Amouage - Beach Hut man and Tauer - L'Air du Desert Marocain. I'm bummed that Lucky Scent failed to pack the 3 samples their website claimed I could request in the order comments. But perhaps it's for the better. I would have probably found another reason to shell out ridiculous money.
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Has Your Fragrance Wardrobe Grown Beyond Your Original Intention?

To answer the thread question - absolutely with no regrets.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Absolutely.

Back when I got Bois d'Argent, I got the 250ml bottle because I knew it would be something I'd wear a lot, plus, "How many bottles of perfume am I going to need anyway?"

Now I have enough full bottles, decants, and samples to last me two lifetimes.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    To answer the thread question - absolutely with no regrets.
    LOL

Same here, but I own only a fraction of the amount you do!

Unashamedly and unapologetically, yes. Really liking this new, more open adventure I'm on right now in discovering newer scents, fragrances, styles, houses and even concentrations.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

Yes. My boredom over the past few months has gotten the better of me.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Absolutely.

Back when I got Bois d'Argent, I got the 250ml bottle because I knew it would be something I'd wear a lot, plus, "How many bottles of perfume am I going to need anyway?"

Now I have enough full bottles, decants, and samples to last me two lifetimes.
    Right. There is no way I wear all my fragrances that I own. I use Old Spice more than any other fragrance and I have enough vintage Shulton Old Spice to last beyond my lifetime at the current rate of usage. I have backed up fragrances that might never run out in my lifetime, but I couldn't risk they would be gone by the time I got old. I will be a fraghead for life. If I last to 90 years old I will still be spraying the frags. No doubt about it.

Fragrance, sensory bliss.

In the beginning yes it did, but the longer I’ve been at this I’ve grown to appreciate certain fragrances and wear those regularly and have heavily backed those fragrances up. I do miss heavily exploring fragrances, I realize though it’s not very ideal when I already have 40+ different fragrances so I have kept the desire to do so at bay. I also have plans to get bills in order this next year so I don’t have the desire to keep buying too much more. Everyone’s situation is different but I never liked the feeling of being overwhelmed in this hobby and not feeling I have enough time to wear the ones I really enjoy. I do have times where I feel I need something new or refreshing and then I’m open to adding something but my buying new fragrances or trying them has died down a good amount over the last year.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Totally.
    I wanted to find something I could wear everyday that clicked with me.
    So many have, I should reduce more. Many I respect, but dont wear.
    My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store | Basenotes
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by D.McDutchface View Post
    LOL

Same here, but I own only a fraction of the amount you do!
    Fraction? You have to work in terms of mathematical exponents to achieve the decimal point percentage at which your collection compares to Hednic's. I have a fantasy vision of Henic's collection in an underground Bat Cave with state of the art security including facial recognition, retinal eye scan and finger prints.

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    I will be a fraghead for life. If I last to 90 years old I will still be spraying the frags. No doubt about it.
    Same.

My nephews, though, notice my fragrances a lot, and they like a lot of them. If they continue to be interested as they get older, maybe I'll pass some down to them one day.

I mean, I gotta have something to do with them.

No.

My original intention was getting 15-20 of frags that I really like, but I'm finding it tough just finding 10 of those.

And I'm kind of noticing my tastes refining even more, which isn't making it any easier.

There's still a ton of those "hey that's nice" frags I should get decants to keep in rotation though

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Totally.
    I wanted to find something I could wear everyday that clicked with me.
    So many have, I should reduce more. Many I respect, but dont wear.
    See? And you're "picky" to say the least. Even you cannot keep your collection under control. Less controlling people have no chance.

Freed from BN Institution

Half of my collection is backups. As for the other half, half of those I could live without.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

See? And you're "picky" to say the least. Even you cannot keep your collection under control. Less controlling people have no chance.
    Well, I dont think its "out of control", just beyond my original intent, which I stated.
    My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store | Basenotes
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

When I was about 14 or 15, NBC ran a Sunday night movie that was about this spoiled rich kid. He opened up his bathroom cabinet, closed his eyes, and just grabbed a random bottle and sprayed it on. He then went about his business. The cabinet was full of many bottles. I thought it was so extremely cool to have such a collection.

So I hoped that one day I would have the means to have such a selection. God has blessed me, so I do have a generous collection. This hobby gives me great enjoyment.
    Currently wearing: Herod by Parfums de Marly

Dependent

Absolutely, everyday I have to contain the urge to buy more fragrances.
    Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage

Well, yes. I never had any plan or intention for my collection.

When I joined Basenotes, I had maybe four frags.

Everyone's journey is different I'm sure, but I never knew that so many people were this into scents so it was like being let out of a prison.

I'm nearing my top out point though. Getting a little irked that I have a ton of stuff I love and not enough time to wear.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post

I'm nearing my top out point though. Getting a little irked that I have a ton of stuff I love and not enough time to wear.
    I get that way often, then I just sell off 8 or 12 bottles.
    Currently wearing: Herod by Parfums de Marly

I'm most amazed with how fickle I can become with a scent. That often makes me begrudgingly seek out something new. I still hope to get down to 5-6 though.
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Absolutely.

Yet this is not associated with regret.

Originally, when I joined Basenotes, I wanted 10. That didn't last long. Then I thought 30 - one for each day of the month. Then it became 60. A nice 2 month rotation.

Then the goal was to stop at 100. It has flattened out a bit at 326. Now my goal is to go back the other way a bit - closer to 200... but that seems unlikely as I find it hard to part with things.

I had nearly 800 samples about a year ago - I am doing a good job with those - I think my samples are down to around 500.

So, yes - things quickly got out of control. I am trying to refine my collection now.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Yes! I always thought one perfume of each olfactory family would be enough. No need to say I was deeply mistaken.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

No.

My fragrance wardrobe before basenotes?? Definitely has grown beyond my original intention. Since I've joined, not really.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Yes. I’m getting ready for a sell off.

I have found I prefer less bottles and more decants. I get bored of stuff and want to move on. I have a ton of partial decants because I couldn’t even use 5 or 10ml. I’d rather have more backups of a core wardrobe and decants galore for when I want to mix it up.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own.”
    - Fernando Pessoa

Fraction? You have to work in terms of mathematical exponents to achieve the decimal point percentage at which your collection compares to Hednic's. I have a fantasy vision of Henic's collection in an underground Bat Cave with state of the art security including facial recognition, retinal eye scan and finger prints.
    And chutes! Don't forget the chutes

It absolutely did, but now it's in check and should be even smaller by the end of the year.

I topped out at 350. I'm now at about 62. I'll stop reducing when I'm somewhere between 35 and 50 (I'm not sure yet).
    2020 Fall: 1.BdJ 2.BR 3.IB 4.Fjerne 5.Ore 6.ADG 7.BdCP 8.Prada CdN 9.TOM 10.BAV 11.Cr-EPC 12.NYI 13.ZdG 14.ESAS 15.1962
    2021 Winter: 1.DHI 2.Ganymede 3.OFG 4.Tuxedo 5.Egoiste 6.TR 7.RO 8.AdGA 9.Elysium PPH 10.Vik 11.Prada LH 12.ESP2017 13.Jeke 14.AdGProfumo
    2021 Spring: 1.Rehab 2.MicallefAG 3.ATOH 4.DH 5.SE 6.AdGAI 7.P+O 8.CB 9.GIT 10. AdGProfondo 11.AHEB 12.CLEI 13.Fahrenheit 14.Sova
    Summer 1.VIW 2.VM 3.LDDM 4.DiorBS 5.MI 6.Nio

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post

I topped out at 350. I'm now at about 62. I'll stop reducing when I'm somewhere between 35 and 50 (I'm not sure yet).
    That's a great accomplishment.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Sure
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs
    5. Creed Bois du Portugal
    Currently wearing: Private Label by Jovoy