Code of Conduct
    Sillage Monster

Default Can someone explain La Petite Robe Noire?

Can someone explain La Petite Robe Noire? There are so many flankers that I hardly know where to begin. Which one is the original? Which version is best? I'd like to try LPRN .
    Last edited by Trilby Lark; 3rd August 2020 at 12:54 PM.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Default Re: Can someone explain La Petit Robe Noir?

The purple fade one, with "la petite robe noir" signature is the original which is way too sweet, I have tried the pink (most popular one) and it was also basic and too sweet, not worthy of Guerlain brand, the third one I tried is the full black bottle that smells close to L'Homme Ideal edp which was my least favorite Guerlain leather.

If you are into intense sweeties though, you may like them.

queen of the universe

Not to get persnickety, but I had to look up the name; you never know when memories of thse teeth grinding lessons on French grammar will resurface.

The name is La Petite Robe Noire. "Robe" is feminine, so all its modifiers need to agree.

/persnicketiness
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

doomed smeller

I've tried three of them. They definitely lean towards sweet.
    Currently wearing: Formula 86 by Sixteen92

The original is the purple with the short-sleeve non-a-line dress— the EDP from 2009– which is kind of a cherry almond and licorice dessert scent. Personally not a fan.

There’s a reformulated one with puffy sleeves and an a-line dress from 2012 that’s less anise from what I remember.

The strapless dress one is the EDT; the flanker from 2013. Don’t remember the note differences.

The hot pink, the couture, smells like raspberry dessert, but on my skin goes sour, so it’s also a no go.

But there’s another strapless one, but purple, and it’s La Petite Robe Noire 2, and I don’t think I’ve ever had the pleasure. Not sure what the deal is with that one.

The Bleu one is newer, and I don’t remember what it smells like.

The Black Perfecto was I think like the couture but with leather.

I have the green one, the Eau Fraiche, which I think is also called Ma Robe Petales. It doesn’t smell much like the others. It’s more of a pistachio citrus. I liken it to a men’s sporty citrus with a nutty sugary heart. It was an impulse purchase right before the lockdown and I use it as a cheap and cheerful.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Sillage Monster

Default Re: Can someone explain La Petite Robe Noire?

Thank you, blackaroma, HoP, and Kotori! You provided exactly the information I was seeking. Jujy, thanks for the French grammar tip. I tried to correct the error as best as I could but the BN website won't let me fix the titles on other people's previous posts.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Sillage Monster

Really weird! My sister, completely out of the blue, purchased Black Perfecto as a gift for me. She knows I wear some Guerlains and thought I'd like the leather note. She had no idea I was interested in LPRN.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    Really weird! My sister, completely out of the blue, purchased Black Perfecto as a gift for me. She knows I wear some Guerlains and thought I'd like the leather note. She had no idea I was interested in LPRN.
    I've been following this with interest, I'd like an LPRN with cherry but not almond and had heard that Perfecto was the one to smell. Do post your impressions when you get it.
    If you can't smell me from six feet away, I'm not wearing enough.

It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.--
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery.

No baiting/trolling. No insults. No politics. Read the Code of Conduct.
    Currently wearing: Gold Woman by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    She reads your mind! I hope you'll like it. Do share your impressions!
    I had a (blindbought) bottle of Black Perfecto EDT and while I loved the drydown, I couldn't get past the cherry note in the first six hours which somehow was difficult to me, so I traded it away eventually. Now I think I probably should have waited more to try and make friends with it. On me it was mostly cherry and dusty rose, not leather sadly. I heard the EDP is richer and better. Anyway, drydown is very beautiful, it's a Guerlain. I hope it goes well with you!

Foxbins, I did get lots of cherry and not much almond if at all in Black Perfecto EDT.

I haven't tried others on skin, just the paper. Kotori described them very well. I remember liking the pink one best to my surprise. They're very sweet. Black Perfecto is a bit less sweet though.

Crazy how she read your mind like that. My mom is kind of like that; she has dreams about what could happen in my life in the future if I continue down a particular road.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada