Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 85
  1. #31

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    I think the best argument for not using aluminum is the permanent yellow stains that it causes on your shirts when it mixes with your sweat. I've gone natural for years now and usually use Malin and Goetz, recently switched to a roll on from Grown Alchemist and it also works well. I tried the very trending brand Corpus and while it smelled nice, it made my underarms super red/itchy and irritated after just one use! I also think for fragrance enthusiasts Corpus is probably too heavily scented and will interfere with whatever else you wear.

    A few other's I've tried and not liked: Tom's also gave me a rash after extended use and didn't work very well, must be some natural deodorant ingredient I'm sensitive to. Also aesop while smelling nice REALLY doesn't work, and something about the scent really was nasty with my skin chemistry. I'm generally not a sweaty/smelly guy, but I swear my underarms smelled worse when using Aesop deo spray.

  2. #32

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Mmmmh....aluminum.

    I found out that straight up alcohol works really well as a deodorant and then you can scent it however you want. I bought a nice glass spritz bottle from Amazon and fill it with about 95% cheap (odorless) vodka. Then spritz to fill the remainder up with an inexpensive cologne that I like the smell of and voila. It works great for me.

    Sometimes I do like to use a solid deodorant just to change it up, when I don't feel like spraying. I use this all natural one from Oard + Alps that works pretty well too and smells pleasant: https://www.oarsandalps.com/collecti...ural-deodorant

    This is a potential game changer. But I’m skeptical...

    Does a little alcohol really work as a deodorant?

    Is there any kind of anti-perspirant effect as well?

    I’m not a big armpit sweater in the first place, if this alcohol works as you say it does, this could be great a new thing. (FWIW, I ran out of deodorant yesterday and haven’t picked any up yet...dare I grab the Grey Goose and Bleu Parfum in its stead? )
    2020 Fall: 1.BdJ 2.BR 3.IB 4.Fjerne 5.Ore 6.ADG 7.BdCP 8.Prada CdN 9.TOM 10.BAV 11.Cr-EPC 12.NYI 13.ZdG 14.ESAS 15.1962
    2021 Winter: 1.DHI 2.Ganymede 3.OFG 4.Tuxedo 5.Egoiste 6.TR 7.RO 8.AdGA 9.Elysium PPH 10.Vik 11.Prada LH 12.ESP2017 13.Jeke 14.AdGProfumo
    2021 Spring: 1.Rehab 2.MicallefAG 3.ATOH 4.DH 5.SE 6.AdGAI 7.P+O 8.CB 9.GIT 10. AdGProfondo 11.AHEB 12.CLEI 13.Fahrenheit 14.Sova
    Summer 1.VIW 2.VM 3.LDDM 4.DiorBS 5.MI 6.Nio

  3. #33
    Dependent Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    8,852

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    ...
    Lol. Problems? I couldn't have said it any easier.
    That's the research doing the talking. I already said it twice. There's aluminum in your brain. It actually serves a function.
    I never said there isn't aluminum in the brain, did anyone? I don't get what you're doing here. Your link does not talk about antiperspirants at all. The link between antiperspirants being responsible for aluminum in your brain is not only unfounded but debunked.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  4. #34

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    This is a potential game changer. But I’m skeptical...

    Does a little alcohol really work as a deodorant?

    Is there any kind of anti-perspirant effect as well?

    I’m not a big armpit sweater in the first place, if this alcohol works as you say it does, this could be great a new thing. (FWIW, I ran out of deodorant yesterday and haven’t picked any up yet...dare I grab the Grey Goose and Bleu Parfum in its stead? )
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.all...lternative/amp

    Article from Allure magazine about it.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

    > Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

  5. #35

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Lol. Problems? I couldn't have said it any easier.
    That's the research doing the talking. I already said it twice. There's aluminum in your brain. It actually serves a function.
    I never said there isn't aluminum in the brain, did anyone? I don't get what you're doing here. Your link does not talk about antiperspirants at all. The link between antiperspirants being responsible for aluminum in your brain is not only unfounded but debunked.

    When a study says transfats are a contributory factor for coronary heart disease do you think they specify it came from a cheeseburger not a cookie? You haven’t debunked anything.

    How many ways do you think aluminium could get into the brain?

    1. By what you eat. 2. By what you drink. 3. By the air that you breathe. 4. By absorption through the skin. 5. By injection. e.g vaccines.

    Continue to eat, drink, breathe, spray or inject aluminium.

    So what biological need or function does it serve in a human? In fact, what function does it serve in any living species? None.

    You want to be spoonfed that 2 + 2 = 4 and won’t believe it unless a scientist tells you so in a paper.

    Doctors used to tell people cigarettes were good for them too. Big tobacco money maybe?
    Dentists fill your teeth with mercury and you don’t question it?
    They tell you to brush your teeth with fluoride? It’s also used as rat poison. You know who else used fluoride on his own people?
    You know who helped form NASA? I’ll give you a hint. He built the V2 rocket.

    Do you not get how this works? Do you think it’s because this is good for you??? WAKE UP!

    Keep thinking aluminium in antiperspirants has nothing to do with Alzheimers.

    Enjoy your Sure For Men 72hrs of fresh pits and at 72 years of age you won’t know up from down. Fortified with aluminium goodness for all your brain destroying needs!

  6. #36

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    You know who helped form NASA? I’ll give you a hint. He built the V2 rocket.
    !
    That I know. But I like NASA. Can we not rename it just because some of the founders were messed up products of their time????

    On the aluminum, I thought that deodorants did not have it but anti-perspirants did. Seems either that has changed or was never true. What I find really strange is when I googled to check what I'm using this week, the only ingredient list I can find is for a different variation on it. For the one I have you get 8000 hits that want to sell it to you but none that tell you what's in it. But for the "main" flavor of it, there is an ingredient list with aluminum, and immediately below it is the "people also ask" and the first question "is it aluminum free" and it says yes!!!! Contradictory data from google search an inch apart!!! This is just to see if it has it, was curious, not even attempting the "is it bad" question....

    I guess I would buy the "free" version if it was similarly cheap, but not for 4X as much or whatever the markup is for premium organic deodorant!

    I do have a handful of deodorants that match a cologne. Find them quite enjoyable. Will admit most came in sets and might not pay a big premium for one on its own. But it's kind of like the shower gel, you just get a little extra kick when you use them. Odds are no one else will ever smell it or know the difference, but it's still nice to put it on, and isn't that why many of us put on cologne in the first place?

  7. #37
    Basenotes Plus
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,008

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    There's no conclusive evidence that aluminium precipitates Alzheimer's. Some Alzheimer's patients have elevated levels of aluminium in their brains, others don't; some people with elevated levels of aluminium in their brains develop Alzheimer's, others don't. It might be a factor, but as of yet, there's no evidence that it's causative.

    Extremely high levels of aluminium can lead to other forms of dementia, but that's not something you get from using aluminium-based antiperspirants. Studies show you typically absorb about 40 times as much aluminium from food as you do from antiperspirant, assuming once-daily application on healthy skin.

    Of all the things to worry about putting on, in, or near your body, aluminium-based antiperspirant ought to be pretty low on the list. You want to prevent Alzheimer's? Floss. The demonstrated links between periodontal disease and Alzheimer's are a lot more solid than those demonstrated between Alzheimer's and aluminium.

    Of course, it's not going to hurt you to avoid antiperspirant. However, it might bother those around you.

  8. #38

    Lovescully's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Dulwich Hill, Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    1,017

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    There's a big difference between an antiperspirant (which stops perspiration - sweating) and a deodorant (which deordorises or stops a smell). Of course some products do both.
    If you're like me and you sweat a lot (Hyperhidrosis) then you need an antiperspirant if you want to stop the sweating. A deodorant will only mask the smell of your sweat, or sometimes the smell of the bacteria that can form where you sweat. A deodorant does not assist in stopping sweating.
    When I was diagnosed in my late teens (I'm now 52), I was prescribed clinical strength antiperspirant by my doctor (which of course has aluminium as the main ingredient) and I've been using some form of aluminium antiperspirant ever since. I can now buy clinical strength antiperspirant without a prescription and its much cheaper.
    I also like to apply some form of deodorant spray after I've applied my antiperspirant.
    My current top 10 (subject to change) in no particular order:

    Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Essenza de Zegna, Zegna Essenze Amber Gold, Armani Privé Sable Or, Armani Privé Vétiver Babylone, Mancera Cedrat Bois, Acqua di Giò Profumo, Amouage Dia Man, L'Artisan Explosions d’Emotions: Amour Nocturne, Zegna Essenze Italian Bergamot/Acqua di Bergamotto

  9. #39

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    Tending to also wear either completely unscented or lightly scented deo stick, roll on and gels-mostly from average mainstream brands with neither health but also no antiperspirant efficiency concerns. Yet the few times did own and wear deodorants from designer fragrance brands, again both the effectiveness but also skin mildness and even (if choosing a scented product) lightly scenting factor were just as good.
    Therefore so far tended to alternate on and off between these two categories with little to no risks nor worries, likely to recommend both, while pleased about their qualities and results.

  10. #40

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    I use nivea dry impact, it's scentless, costs like a € or two and easily lasts a full day even when working out. The only BO you'll smell around me is my animalic perfume

  11. #41
    Dependent Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    8,852

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    The earth is flat! Dinosaurs aren't real!

    In your cheeseburg and cookie analogy, that doesn’t work because you eat both of those the exact same way. That's the worst comparison you could go with, Sheik. Again, there's no study to suggest antiperspirant is what puts aluminum in your brian.
    There's a lot of bad info that conspiracy theorists gobble up.
    If you're at the point where you're given statistical data and a half century of research but still screaming that you're right and thousands and thousands of experts are wrong?
    You don't have to believe it, I don't care. But telling people to wake up,, they're naive because they don't think like you? And the reason is uh uh uh because, that's why insane! That's insane.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  12. #42

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    The earth is flat! Dinosaurs aren't real!

    In your cheeseburg and cookie analogy, that doesn’t work because you eat both of those the exact same way. That's the worst comparison you could go with, Sheik. Again, there's no study to suggest antiperspirant is what puts aluminum in your brian.
    There's a lot of bad info that conspiracy theorists gobble up.
    If you're at the point where you're given statistical data and a half century of research but still screaming that you're right and thousands and thousands of experts are wrong?
    You don't have to believe it, I don't care. But telling people to wake up,, they're naive because they don't think like you? And the reason is uh uh uh because, that's why insane! That's insane.
    Dinosaurs and flat earth? wow.

    Since you insist on playing a conspiracy theory card I'll say this.


    What I said about doctors telling people cigarettes were good for them - FACT.
    (You can speak to many people over the age of 70. Many of them will remember this or you might want to google it)

    What is the preferred filling material of dentists for the last 100 years to fill your teeth with when you have a hole? Mercury amalgam - FACT.
    (Check you own mouth or any of the people you know. If it looks silver it has mercury in it)

    What do dentists tell you to brush your teeth with to maintain a healthy mouth and gums with? A fluoride toothpaste. - FACT
    (Watch a TV ad by any pharmaceutical companies that manufactures toothpaste. Speak to any one of 100 dentists.)

    What else was fluoride used for? Rat Poison. - FACT
    (Spend some time doing some research)

    Who used fluoride
    to keep people docile
    ? The Soviets - FACT
    <but its still going on as mentioned above by being added to domestic water supply in many countries today>

    The Nazi rocket scientist who created the V2 rocket and helped form NASA? Wernher von Braun - FACT
    (do your own research)

    On the face of it, it seems like a conspiracy theory doesn't it. Why? Because it couldn't possibly be true? It is true.
    The JFK assassination sounds like a conspiracy theory. It isn't. There was an actual conspiracy to kill President John Fitzgerald Kennedy - He was shot and killed. FACT

    At the time these things may have seemed like theories to many people. They all turned out to be fact. When it becomes clear to people that Aluminium causes Alzheimers don't cry to me about it. I warned you. I don't care whether you do or don't. Keep sleepwalking through life and believe everything you're told without discernment.
    Dinosaurs? Flat earth? Really?

  13. #43
    Basenotes Plus
    tspencer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    5,584

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    I use a lot of different deodorants. It's complicated. I tend to avoid the aluminum ones, although I have one aluminum-based antiperspirant from Arm & Hammer that is unscented which is rarely used that I bought by accident online (didn't realize it was an antiperspirant).

  14. #44
    Dependent Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    8,852

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    Dinosaurs are real, yes. The earth is round, yes.
    The insistence doesn't lie with me.
    You can talk about JFK or Russia all day but it still doesn't offer up anything to support aluminum from antiperspirant causing alzheimers. I'm not saying it doesn't, dude. I'm saying there is nothing available for you to suggest it does.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  15. #45

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    Antiperspirant all the way for me. I tend to buy Sure for Men - the Active Dry one is my favourite - or Mitchum Clean Control/ Ice Fresh.
    Having tried other brands those two have always been the most effective for me.

  16. #46

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    Mitchum Ice fresh
    Brut
    Nivea Black & White

    Any of these 3 on a given day
    As for deo spray Brut is just beastmode on me, I know its not really supposed to be used as a bodyspray, but one spray in each elbow fold and one on the chest really boosts the smell of the Brut aftershave and/or Brut Original EDT that I also wear ( Along with the splash on Brut of course)
    Currently wearing: Xeryus by Givenchy

  17. #47

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    I think the consensus is that there is no consensus.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

    > Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

  18. #48

    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,057

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    There aren't any known-to-authorities health issues associated with antiperspirants.
    https://www.healthline.com/health/de...antiperspirant

    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 8th August 2020 at 09:31 AM.

  19. #49

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?


  20. #50

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.all...lternative/amp

    Article from Allure magazine about it.
    Thanks bro!

    Seems like you will still sweat but it will kill the smell. If you don’t leak shirt drenching amounts of sweat, that’s all you really need it to do anyway.
    2020 Fall: 1.BdJ 2.BR 3.IB 4.Fjerne 5.Ore 6.ADG 7.BdCP 8.Prada CdN 9.TOM 10.BAV 11.Cr-EPC 12.NYI 13.ZdG 14.ESAS 15.1962
    2021 Winter: 1.DHI 2.Ganymede 3.OFG 4.Tuxedo 5.Egoiste 6.TR 7.RO 8.AdGA 9.Elysium PPH 10.Vik 11.Prada LH 12.ESP2017 13.Jeke 14.AdGProfumo
    2021 Spring: 1.Rehab 2.MicallefAG 3.ATOH 4.DH 5.SE 6.AdGAI 7.P+O 8.CB 9.GIT 10. AdGProfondo 11.AHEB 12.CLEI 13.Fahrenheit 14.Sova
    Summer 1.VIW 2.VM 3.LDDM 4.DiorBS 5.MI 6.Nio

  21. #51

    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,057

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    I think the best argument for not using aluminum is the permanent yellow stains that it causes on your shirts when it mixes with your sweat. .
    I've never had this yellow stain thing happen to me, and I've been using aluminium chlorhydroxide/chlorhydrate for decades. Nor has my wife.
    I see that Nivea sell one anti-perspirant version that is guaranteed not to stain clothes - so plainly it is a problem for some.

    Googling the matter came up with additional factors that can lead to yellow staining. like water hardness and direct sunlight on brighteners in washing liquid.

    Anyhow, I'm curious if this yellow staining under armpits is as ubiquitous as you presume.
    Or perhaps is it only ubiquitous in areas of say high water hardness?
    Regards,
    Renato

  22. #52
    Basenotes Junkie
    Funwithfrags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Bury, UK
    Posts
    647

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    There's an increasing movement for not bothering at all. Or using something like an alum block.
    Currently wearing: La Colonia by Oliver & Co.

  23. #53
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    322,454

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I've never had this yellow stain thing happen to me, and I've been using aluminium chlorhydroxide/chlorhydrate for decades. Nor has my wife.
    Same here.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  24. #54
    Basenotes Plus
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,008

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    Regarding yellow stains, while aluminum is frequently flagged as the culprit, Nivea (which makes aluminum-based anti-stain antiperspirant) says:
    WHAT CAUSES YELLOW SWEAT STAINS ON WHITE CLOTHES?

    Yellow sweat stains gradually build up from wash to wash. These stains are based on a complex interaction between:


    • Your skin lipids
    • Sebum
    • Sweat
    • Active antiperspirant ingredients
    • Laundry detergent
    • Water

    This chemical reaction produces yellow-coloured deposits that remain stuck in the fibres of your clothes.
    Several factors are involved, including:

    • Frequency of application and changing clothes
    • Amount of antiperspirant used
    • Your unique sweat composition
    • Minerals or trace elements in your tap water
    • Fabric composition

    It’s important to note that yellow sweat stains may also occur without any antiperspirant ingredients. Skin lipids and dirt particles in the air can alone cause persistent yellow stains.





  25. #55

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Thanks bro!

    Seems like you will still sweat but it will kill the smell. If you don’t leak shirt drenching amounts of sweat, that’s all you really need it to do anyway.
    Yeah, that’s the difference between a deodorant and an antiperspirant. I don’t sweat excessively anyway, and I don’t really like the idea of blocking my sweat glands. Deodorant alone works well for me.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

    > Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

  26. #56

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    Bottom line? Wear whatcha like....

    My 2 cents?

    Our bodies both absorb and secrete substances. Can aluminum cross the blood/brain barrier in the brain? Maybe or maybe not... For every study that confirms this, there’s bound to be one that refutes it.

    I go with all natural deodorant (Schmidt’s Charcoal & Magnesium) because (A) it works really well and (B) I find myself on the “maybe” side of the fence. Lastly? I know I’m a pinch low in the magnesium area, so why not potentially kill 2 birds with 1 stone?

    For the record? My dad has been using Mitchum Antiperspirant for years; he’s 75 years old and sharp as a tack, for what it’s worth...
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

    Mother Teresa

  27. #57
    Dependent Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    8,852

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    I've never had any problems with antiperspirants staining my clothing, except the clear gel antiperspirants seem to harden the fabric in the underarms and I can't wash it out.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  28. #58

    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,057

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Funwithfrags View Post
    There's an increasing movement for not bothering at all. Or using something like an alum block.
    An Alum block works reasonably well as an antiperspirant because - at the end of the day - it is an aluminium salt similar to the other different types of aluminium salts in most other anti-pespirants.
    I find it good for about 8-10 hours. Not as good as 24 hour or 48 hour ones.
    Cheers,
    Renato

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Regarding yellow stains, while aluminum is frequently flagged as the culprit, Nivea (which makes aluminum-based anti-stain antiperspirant) says:
    WHAT CAUSES YELLOW SWEAT STAINS ON WHITE CLOTHES?

    Yellow sweat stains gradually build up from wash to wash. These stains are based on a complex interaction between:


    • Your skin lipids
    • Sebum
    • Sweat
    • Active antiperspirant ingredients
    • Laundry detergent
    • Water

    This chemical reaction produces yellow-coloured deposits that remain stuck in the fibres of your clothes.
    Several factors are involved, including:

    • Frequency of application and changing clothes
    • Amount of antiperspirant used
    • Your unique sweat composition
    • Minerals or trace elements in your tap water
    • Fabric composition

    It’s important to note that yellow sweat stains may also occur without any antiperspirant ingredients. Skin lipids and dirt particles in the air can alone cause persistent yellow stains.




    Thanks. That is informative and comprehensive.
    Regards,
    Renato

  29. #59
    Basenotes Member Jay-Lux'eau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Central Europe
    Posts
    48

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Keep thinking aluminium in antiperspirants has nothing to do with Alzheimers.

    Enjoy your Sure For Men 72hrs of fresh pits and at 72 years of age you won’t know up from down. Fortified with aluminium goodness for all your brain destroying needs!
    Aluminum is indeed bad.

    For one it's not healthy to block off perspiration as it's a cooling mechanism first most, secondly, do you know the amount of stuff that is in your armpit and which you are potentially clogging up in the process?
    https://www.webmd.com/pain-managemen...f-the-armpit#1 The stuff you put on the outside there doesn't only stay on the outside of your skin you know. And yes, evidence is arising in medical literature linking aluminum to Alzheimer's. I got warned about a decade ago. My issue was itching and rashes but I'm glad nevertheless.


    IMO, deodorant sticks from the same line as an EdT or EdP are usually really good (smelling) and without aluminum, but super expensive. At least over here.

    I mean 35€ (40$) for an Aqua di Gio stick? Who buys that when the scent barely even surfaces to yourself! And when you can get a Dove, Mennen or whatever stick for 5$?

    As my deodorant procedure: I nowadays like to use just a soft, whatever scented shower gel (coconut and some woods atm), dry off after washing, but only partially.

    Then, when still damp, apply a (decent) CLONE of the scent you want to wear on top and put on a shirt. The scent's moisture also gets into the shirt a bit that way, before ultimately drying up. You then have some 're-activation' slack in regards to perspiration during the day. Rough day? Either bring a travel spray or the entire bottle with you, and re-apply in the bathroom. This will work best of course if you can do a quick wash up or wipe first, and when you're timely.


    BONUS: there are clones that are quite immutable as opposed to the original such as Zara Gourmand Leather for example, which can be worn as a deodorant without the scent going off on you. The original, JPG Ultra Male, will go bad on you.


    Ow yeah and for me it's: sticks > sprays > roll-ons. Sticks actually cover the area, sprays and rollers just mix in a bit a then go bad on you. Whatever you do, don't use aluminum containing stuff. It's just unhealthy to block an area that are used for temperature control, let alone current and future correlations to Alzheimer's.
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

  30. #60
    Dependent Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    8,852

    Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-Lux'eau View Post
    Aluminum is indeed bad.

    For one it's not healthy to block off perspiration as it's a cooling mechanism first most, secondly, do you know the amount of stuff that is in your armpit and which you are potentially clogging up in the process?
    https://www.webmd.com/pain-managemen...f-the-armpit#1 The stuff you put on the outside there doesn't only stay on the outside of your skin you know. And yes, evidence is arising in medical literature linking aluminum to Alzheimer's. I got warned about a decade ago. My issue was itching and rashes but I'm glad nevertheless.


    IMO, deodorant sticks from the same line as an EdT or EdP are usually really good (smelling) and without aluminum, but super expensive. At least over here.

    I mean 35€ (40$) for an Aqua di Gio stick? Who buys that when the scent barely even surfaces to yourself! And when you can get a Dove, Mennen or whatever stick for 5$?

    As my deodorant procedure: I nowadays like to use just a soft, whatever scented shower gel (coconut and some woods atm), dry off after washing, but only partially.

    Then, when still damp, apply a (decent) CLONE of the scent you want to wear on top and put on a shirt. The scent's moisture also gets into the shirt a bit that way, before ultimately drying up. You then have some 're-activation' slack in regards to perspiration during the day. Rough day? Either bring a travel spray or the entire bottle with you, and re-apply in the bathroom. This will work best of course if you can do a quick wash up or wipe first, and when you're timely.


    BONUS: there are clones that are quite immutable as opposed to the original such as Zara Gourmand Leather for example, which can be worn as a deodorant without the scent going off on you. The original, JPG Ultra Male, will go bad on you.


    Ow yeah and for me it's: sticks > sprays > roll-ons. Sticks actually cover the area, sprays and rollers just mix in a bit a then go bad on you. Whatever you do, don't use aluminum containing stuff. It's just unhealthy to block an area that are used for temperature control, let alone current and future correlations to Alzheimer's.
    We've been there a billion times, and it's been debunked a million times. (I know you're new here)
    No one here is arguing the effects of aluminum and those studies. But the studies of antiperspirant and their effects, completely different story. Hey, I'm a stickler for everything being presented equally, not just one side. It's annoying I know, in a world where that no longer happens, but I can't help it.

    Anyway. The fragrance deodorants don't seem to last long for me. A few hours and they're gone. For the price, they're basically useless, in my opinion. They might serve a good purpose if layered with a more powerful deodorant/antiperspirant underneath, then the designer deodorant layered on top of it. That could do the trick.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."




Similar Threads

  1. What's the consensus on Maceration?
    By fraghead93 in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 6th May 2020, 06:42 PM
  2. Any consensus on JPG LeMale?
    By bigsteve in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19th July 2017, 11:50 AM
  3. General Consensus on 15X21
    By MonsieurChanel in forum Creed Aventus Subforum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 9th March 2016, 02:27 AM
  4. What is the general consensus of Jo Malone?
    By aerolord in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 16th March 2015, 06:43 AM
  5. Deodorant Spray, or Deodorant Stick?
    By Soul_Music in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 9th August 2010, 09:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000