Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post

I've heard that you're supposed to actually put anti-perspirant before going to sleep at night. But how does that work when showing in the morning? Wouldn't that just clean away what you put on the night before? And you just get dressed and start your day with NOTHING under your arms?

Am I going to have to get some kind of armpit guards? I guess I can try a non-scented SpeedStick, anti-perspirant that's DRY and see how that works. I hate the clumps that result from that, but a white dry shouldn't leave stains.
    The instructions on some of the 48 hour antiperspirants I own (where gel comes out of the tiny plastic holes) say to put them on during the night for best effectivenes. Any showering would have to be done beforehand.

Where you talk about BO coming through the deodorant fragrance - deodorants, as opposed to antiperspirants, are only meant to stop bacteria break down and subsequent BO for around four, maybe five hours.

Nivea Black and White Antiperspirant is supposed to stop yellow staining. I don't know if it works, because we don't have hard water here, and I've never had yellow staining with any antiperspirant.

So, my suggestion would be have your shower, apply stick deodorant first, then apply Nivea Black and White Antiperspirant. And four hours later, apply a spray deodorant and see if it stops bacteria breaking down for a while longer.

Another suggestion - which may or may not have any applicability - do what I did in my office job - start wearing those jumper type vests (i.e. jumpers without sleeves). I'd rarely get soggy underarms wearing them.
    Regards,
    Renato

Before showering I use a coat of water under both armpits and then lightly powder both pits with baking soda. Then wash it all off in the shower.

I never use deodorant other than baking soda once every day or two.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrywood View Post
    Before showering I use a coat of water under both armpits and then lightly powder both pits with baking soda. Then wash it all off in the shower.

How does that fare against odor and sweat?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Quote Originally Posted by Cherrywood View Post

I'm glad it's working for you.

According to Health Line, it may be useful for some, but not for others. It recommends people do a patch test before using the Baking Soda.
    https://www.healthline.com/health/ba...nt#bottom-line

Of interest were their other suggestions if Baking Soda doesn't work, namely,
    apple cider vinegar, diluted in water
    coconut oil
    cornstarch
    shea butter
    witch hazel
    tea tree oil or other essential oils diluted in a carrier oil.

I don't really understand why that oily stuff would work or be nice having under arm pits, or that the apple cider vinegar smell wouldn't be worse than typical BO smell. But Witch Hazel may be worth exploring.
    Regards,
    Renato

Does anybody have any thoughts or experience with a new brand called art of sport? It was developed in partnership with Kobe Bryant and James Harden recommends it. Supposedly it’s all natural, including the plant-based derivative of propylene glycol. It’s a little bit higher price than some of the premium old spice deodorants And I was thinking whether it was worth the cost compared to say the high endurance line of old spice which is like $2.99, versus the 699 for the art of sport

I am using the Schmitdts line And it is OK for an all natural stick

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by finsfan View Post
    Does anybody have any thoughts or experience with a new brand called art of sport? It was developed in partnership with Kobe Bryant and James Harden recommends it. Supposedly it’s all natural, including the plant-based derivative of propylene glycol. It’s a little bit higher price than some of the premium old spice deodorants And I was thinking whether it was worth the cost compared to say the high endurance line of old spice which is like $2.99, versus the 699 for the art of sport

I am using the Schmitdts line And it is OK for an all natural stick
    I've seen these and have wanted to try them out. I'm interested, too, in hearing any b'noter user reviews.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Basenotes Plus

AOS has an antiperspirant, too (with aluminium, of course). I’d be interested if they launched an unscented version: I’m not looking for my underarms to clash with my forearms.
    Currently wearing: La Nuit by Paco Rabanne

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    AOS has an antiperspirant, too (with aluminium, of course). I’d be interested if they launched an unscented version: I’m not looking for my underarms to clash with my forearms.

I have smelt this in Target. A lot of the reviews say that the deodorant is some of the best for wetness protection and not smelling like a dog after a workout without being a true anitperspirant and having aluminum,. On smell, I have seen some reviews that say it smells stronger in the tube than after application and others that say they can still smell it after 4 hours. Since I wear a tshirt under shirts for the most part, not that worried that it will clash. I have not had that problem with Scmidtes

I do see value in the natural ingredients. Old Spice, the Pure Sport High Endurance deodarant, uses propylene glycol, the gas derived version and some say it can burn. There is Everyman Jack which also is all natrual (propeniedol is the plant version of propylene glycol I have read) but more people say it can burn. I can use Dove for Men, the deodorant and the Clean Care version which has moisturizers but then the price jumps up to the $5 tier. I had a coupon for Art of Sport taking $2 off, bringing it down to $5.

- - - Updated - - -

Tried the Art of Sport, Compete (red) version. Nice smell, sorta like any other commercial scent that Target carries. However, after an hour I felt that it was non existant. I read up on reviews and they say that it works if you go to the gym and sweat. And like the Dove for Men, it says effectiveness varies. I did not feel that the matcha and arrowroot ingredients did anything. I much prefer the Arm and Hammer natrual ingredients version over this, but the AH left a bit of stickiness.

The propelyne glycol in AoS is plant based but it has the same effect on the body as the gas-derived version. So much for natural ingredients. I would get Schmidts over this for the same price.

I swapped it out for Old Spice High Endurance deodorant, Pure Sport, and hope that works. If so, great. If not, then maybe Dove Care but the antiperspirant

I don't sweat as much, aside from working out, but found antiperspirants to be more of a white chalky consistency that the deodarants which appear and feel slick and almost gel-like,. sure I want to cut down my risks of cancer and Alzheimers, but I used antiperpirants for years in highschool and thereafter. I don't think any adverse affects so far. So if I go with an Antiperspirant, Old Spice is cheap enough, or Dove, Right Guard and Gillette in Target/wWalmart seem to be sprays or gels, no more solids. I have read stuff onthe Internet that maybe the studies linking aluminum in the antiperspirants is not universally accurate or received as having adverse side effects. Kinda like the stufies on artificial sweetner and the testing was on rats and they were given doses like 100 times the amount for our body weightt