Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What's the consensus on deodorant?

My girlfriend talked me into dropping my unscented Mitchum antiperspirant for MALIN and GOETZ, claiming that the Mitchum has aluminum and other harmful chemicals. I'm cool with sticking with M&G and don't mind switching it up. I was curious what the consensus is here with deodorant? What does everyone wear? Are name branded products like CHANEL really that good?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: What's the consensus on deodorant?

I wear an unscented commercial antiperspirant/deodorant with no problems nor worries about chemicals
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm a big fan of Native, a relative newcomer with a wide variety of scents. A "natural" product- though I'm not really that paranoid about that sort of thing. Also liked Molton Brown Black Peppercorn. Don't find that these conflict with EdTs.

My own experience with deodorants matched to exactly to EdT scent has not been good. The two I tried smelled a lot like the scent they were matched to, but protection faded fast. Reallllll fast.

I'm sure some have had better luck. While I'm sure some work great, I'll go out on a limb and say they are probably grossly overpriced. The quality is not worth the extra expense.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Private Label by Jovoy

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I'm a big fan of Native, a relative newcomer with a wide variety of scents. A "natural" product- though I'm not really that paranoid about that sort of thing.
    Also liked Molton Brown Black Peppercorn. Don't find that these conflict with EdTs.

My own experience with deodorants matched to exactly to EdT scent has not been good. The two I tried smelled a lot like the scent they were matched to, but protection faded fast. Reallllll fast.

I'm sure some have had better luck.
    I was just looking at Native on Amazon. I might give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Smellin.Good View Post
    They have come on really strong and seem to be doing quite well. I think they are now in store at Walgreens as well.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Private Label by Jovoy

My girlfriend talked me into dropping my unscented Mitchum antiperspirant for MALIN and GOETZ, claiming that the Mitchum has aluminum and other harmful chemicals.
    How's it working for you? I wear Certain Dry usually (occasionally Mitchum) and have never really worried about aluminum or antything

At the end of the day, everything causes cancer - so deodorant is not one of my concerns. Whatever is on sale at the drugstore - Old Spice, Mitchum, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    How's it working for you? I wear Certain Dry usually (occasionally Mitchum) and have never really worried about aluminum or antything
    It's actually going really well. I like M&G. Very easy to wear and the scent doesn't interfere with my daily cologne.

I have given a Chanel Egoiste deodorant stick to a friend and it works for him, but I've never tried them myself. In general, what branded products add to regular mainstream ones is the scent (which doesn't last as long as regular perfume anyway).

Regarding the harm from aluminum, as you know, most dermatologists differ-but you probably don't want to start that conversation with your girlfriend. For this view from a dermatologist, eg:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Dm6tMMoJY

cacio

I use an unscented roll-on from a drugstore, which I apply nightly, every 5 days or so. It works great. Most of the time there's no smell at all. When the time to use it comes, a bit of smell comes in, but it's really nothing compared to not using one. So it sums up to having no sweat smell for most of the week and just one day when the smell starts to build up, but it's not noticeable. Good stuff. I hope it doesn't cause any harm to my health in the long run.

Dependent

I use Primal Pit Paste, which has been bought out, but I have a stash - yet to try the new Pretty Frank stuff.
    It's aluminum free and works amazingly (at least the baking soda one does). I have 3 or 4 different ones; one is unscented.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Basenotes Plus

I have sensitive skin, I use Dove Sensitive day to day and find it works well.
    I did however purchase Channel Antaeus Deodorant I apply it on days I wear Antaeus fragrance as chef Emeril Lagasse would say "BAM" ! it kicks up the longevity and projection up a notch

I wear Mitchum and Old Spice Original. Has to be an antiperspirant deodorant or it only lasts me a couple hours.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

I'm allergic to antiperspirant. Tried many unscented deodorants over the years and settled on this one:

Schmidt's Natural Deodorant, Fragrance-Free

Works well and lasts all day.

Jungleman/Native is also good but the prices have more than doubled over the years. I've also used Earth Science Liken (lichen) deodorant and it works amazingly well but gave me a rash. Crystal salt blocks are effective but can be messy to apply.

Lots of choices out there.

I don’t use aluminium containing deodorants/ antiperspirants. Our biology has no use of aluminium in any way, shape or form. You will never hear of someone having an aluminium deficiency.

There isn’t consensus in the scientific community about aluminium and so the likelihood of it here on Basenotes is very slim.

I for one don’t think it’s safe and do think that aluminium is a serious risk for developing Alzheimer’s.
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

I use Schmidt's Natural Deodorant, Charcoal & Magnesium. It works really well and is essentially fragrance free. I’ve tried quite a few from the line and this is my favorite.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Endymion by Penhaligon's

Fragrance, sensory bliss.

This one.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Native is my favorite

MenScience is best deodorant i came across. Trully unscented, no white marks, aluminium free.
    Guess its expensive, but worth it for me.

Email them and you can get minis for $3 ea to test the scents, but you have to purchase 4+. Free shipping.

The Native Floral scents smell feminine, but otherwise everything's pretty unisex, IMO. They have awesome seasonal scents too if you like gourmandish style fragrances.

Some scents give more longevity than others, but I usually can apply these before a long gym session and still smell good before showering

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I wear an unscented commercial antiperspirant/deodorant with no problems nor worries about chemicals
    Ditto for me as well.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

I think it's safe to use aluminum. Literally hundreds of articles and reports, medical journals, etc. And they universally agree there's no connection to alzheimers. But if you're in doubt, pop a couple zinc pills while you're applying your antiperspirant!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I think it's safe to use aluminum. Literally hundreds of articles and reports, medical journals, etc. And they universally agree there's no connection to alzheimers. But if you're in doubt, pop a couple zinc pills while you're applying your antiperspirant!
    Mmmmh....aluminum.

I found out that straight up alcohol works really well as a deodorant and then you can scent it however you want. I bought a nice glass spritz bottle from Amazon and fill it with about 95% cheap (odorless) vodka. Then spritz to fill the remainder up with an inexpensive cologne that I like the smell of and voila. It works great for me.

Sometimes I do like to use a solid deodorant just to change it up, when I don't feel like spraying. I use this all natural one from Oard + Alps that works pretty well too and smells pleasant: https://www.oarsandalps.com/collecti...ural-deodorant
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

“Aluminum and Amyloid-β in Familial Alzheimer’s Disease” by Matthew Mold, Caroline Linhart, Johana Gómez-Ramírez, Andrés Villegas-Lanau and Christopher Exley, 13 January 2020, Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease.
    https://content.iospress.com/article...ease/jad191140

“The new research confirms my resolve that within the normal lifespan of humans, there would not be any AD if there were no aluminum in the brain tissue. No aluminum, no AD.” — Dr. Christopher Exley

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    “Aluminum and Amyloid-β in Familial Alzheimer’s Disease” by Matthew Mold, Caroline Linhart, Johana Gómez-Ramírez, Andrés Villegas-Lanau and Christopher Exley, 13 January 2020, Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease.
    https://content.iospress.com/article...ease/jad191140

“The new research confirms my resolve that within the normal lifespan of humans, there would not be any AD if there were no aluminum in the brain tissue. No aluminum, no AD.” — Dr. Christopher Exley
    What you listed has nothing to do with antiperspirant.

What you listed has nothing to do with antiperspirant.
    It does if the antiperspirant contains aluminium.

The reason I responded to your post wasn’t to say this though - it was to say that NOT ALL scientists universally agree there’s no connection to alzheimers. Some think there is a connection and others don’t think there is a connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    It does if the antiperspirant contains aluminium.

The reason I responded to your post wasn’t to say this though - it was to say that NOT ALL scientists universally agree there’s no connection to alzheimers. Some think there is a connection and others don’t think there is a connection.
    Aluminum in the brain has nothing to do with aluminum antiperspirant though.

So....aspartame in diet soda? Does it cause cancer or is the jury still out?

Use the scentless Sanex deostick
    00 - Sanex Deo stick 2.jpg