Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default EBAY seller Smells_Good

Anyone purchase from this seller? Seems to do a large volume, but many complaints of being short-changed in sample amounts and possible dilution. I bought 2 Bond no 9 samples and one Montale. I've never smelled any of them so have nothing to compare to, but the Montale was very weak and I can barely smell it on my hand. One thing about Montale, love them or hate them they are projection monsters that last for days. The atomizers all came up short also. 5ml Bond no 9 measured 4.7ml and I use precise equipment to measure it. The 2ml vial of Montale was only 1.7ml full. After paying nearly $40 for samples, you' think they' d at least measure accurately, when I sell samples online I ALWAYS add a bit extra to be safe. Not accusing this seller of cheating, just wondering if anyone else has had trouble. I was going to buy a few more samples from them but decided against it.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: EBAY seller Smells_Good

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    I was going to buy a few more samples from them but decided against it.
    Wise decision.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Update: I sent a friendly message to the seller explaining that they need to take better care in being accurate. No response, no apology. SO...I started a return and within 4 minutes I heard back from them! If they would have sent an apology note, I'd have dropped the whole issue but ignoring a constructive message is not going to fly with me.

Think I’ve bought from them before, but can’t remember what so probably didn’t have any issues. But all sellers better respond, thats too sketchy otherwise.

And weirdly after my last post, I just went looking for samples of TF Tuscan Leather intense on eBay....and I run right into Smells_Good lol
    I think I’ll go with another seller for now!

It's understandable to have measurements be slightly off from time to time, but if this seller has many negative reviews about it, I would guess that he or she is intentionally shorting customers.

He's actually this https://www.scentsevent.com/

I bought something on eBay and then got an email from him referring me to this site (technically a no-no on ebay but whatever). And I found some of the pricing to be compelling so I bought some there too. The communication isn't very good as mentioned but I otherwise have no complaints. Charges sales tax which is a little odd, but I kinda figure it's to offset some of the pricing. That's the best I can make of it.

Blog Entries

I don't want to imply that he is dishonest, it may have been a simple error but we all know that buyers of expensive fragrances are nervous anyway about getting fakes, diluted juice, or short-changed. I always measure out my decants rather than "eyeballing" it, post pics of the decant beside my box/bottle, and tape up my decant bottles so nothing spills or evaporates. I put them in small sealed bags so the buyer can immediately see if leakage occurs. To be fair, this seller has a lot of positive feedback, but the short list of neutral/negatives have several mentions of possible dilution and short volumes in decants. Being in the medical field I fill my decants with syringes marked to the 0.1 ml to be accurate. As I told this seller, he sent me 1.75 mls of Montale rather than 2 mls, While this seems trivial, it is the equivalent of buying a 100 ml bottle of juice and receiving only 85 mls.
    He accepted my return request and I shipped it back. Just waiting for a refund.

I discovered this thread a few minutes ago and wanted to share my experience. I recently purchased a sample of Byredo M/Mink from smells_good. I should have heeded the warnings from his negative feedback page. All I could smell was a faint musk before completely disappearing within the hour. I compared it with my full bottle from the brand and my samples from Saks. Either the fragrance was diluted to death or it was a fake. The refund process was fast but I now have trust issues with ebay sellers. The seller has over 10,000 feedback after all.

Dependent

Thanks for the warning.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FragFan92 View Post
    I discovered this thread a few minutes ago and wanted to share my experience. I recently purchased a sample of Byredo M/Mink from smells_good. I should have heeded the warnings from his negative feedback page. All I could smell was a faint musk before completely disappearing within the hour. I compared it with my full bottle from the brand and my samples from Saks. Either the fragrance was diluted to death or it was a fake. The refund process was fast but I now have trust issues with ebay sellers. The seller has over 10,000 feedback after all.
    Thanks for the observation. I did a little detective work and browsed his storefront. He even sells his empties there, but they were "grey market" empties. No box, no cap, or tester boxes with the bottles. I think he must buy grey market niche, decant out and sell, and then sell the empty bottles. Not that there is anything wrong with that EXCEPT that if he gets a fake or a diluted grey market bottle, all of his decants will also be fake, old, or diluted. A few negative comments were from people who knew what the original smelled like and said that his decant wasn't similar.
    I'm going to stick to sellers who show pictures of their bottles, boxes, caps and decant from them. If you are going to decant, NEVER use grey market! Geez, you are already making money just by decanting, no sense getting greedy and buying cheap testers or knock offs to decant!

Basenotes Member oceansoflorewi's Avatar

Anyone purchase from this seller? Seems to do a large volume, but many complaints of being short-changed in sample amounts and possible dilution. I bought 2 Bond no 9 samples and one Montale. I've never smelled any of them so have nothing to compare to, but the Montale was very weak and I can barely smell it on my hand. One thing about Montale, love them or hate them they are projection monsters that last for days. The atomizers all came up short also. 5ml Bond no 9 measured 4.7ml and I use precise equipment to measure it. The 2ml vial of Montale was only 1.7ml full. After paying nearly $40 for samples, you' think they' d at least measure accurately, when I sell samples online I ALWAYS add a bit extra to be safe. Not accusing this seller of cheating, just wondering if anyone else has had trouble. I was going to buy a few more samples from them but decided against it.
    UGH!

I freaking HATE this seller! Either a total scammer or just an idiot!

First experience- got a decant of Le Male Le Parfum 2ml. crappy plastic decant vial with no screw top so easily pops off & leaks. Luckily it didn't leak. I wasn't pissed about the experience as I chucked it just as a scent I didn't like.

Second experience- SPECIFICALLY ordered Guerlain IDEAL *EDP* (I did not confuse the different IDEALS- I specifically ordered the EDP The hyped cherry almond fragrance praised on youtube. The seller sends me a YELLOW colored juice (EDP juice is a rose brown color) and it just smelled DISGUSTING.

I thought it was a fake so then made me question if the Le Male Le Parfum sample I got was fake and i'm missing out on a Le Male I may love?

Benefit of the doubt to not call the sample a fake- I concluded the idiot sent me the IDEAL EDT (Or some other IDEAL flanker) I got the almond out of it but the rest was nauseating. No offense to this specific scent I got instead but I paid for the HYPED EDP cherry almond version! They had ONE job. And yup! They ignored me too. Zero communication. They hide behind their ISIS masks when caught and do the minimal to fix the situation.

Then I request my money back instead of immediately giving me refund they instead offer me a discount on the scent I never asked for (Very patronizing). I declined then they made me send the stupid sample back to get my money back knowing darn well it was their mistake as they took down the ad soon after my complaint! The worst of it is because they removed the specific ad I couldn't leave negative feedback!!!

Looking back at the sellers listings total red flag is the seller does not show you the ACTUAL bottle they are decanting for you. SCAM SCAM SCAM. Now when I search decanter ads, I better see a real bottle and the sample sizes stacked next to it or BYE.

Then to add insult to injury, under a stress episode i was leaning back in my chair and popped off the Le Male Le Parfum decant plastic top to revisit the smell- THEN the entire mechanism fully popped off and spilled all over my shirt!

I shake my head- it's like you would think ordering a cheap decant would be one of the few things in this world that doesn't involve a headache and a con job.

Decanter from the pit of satans a**hole! I'm so pissed the strategically took down the ad so I couldn't leave negative feedback so i'm glad I can do it here.

Run like hell.

Banned

Buying decants on ebay is simply a lottery I'm not interested to play. But given that probably many decants are fake, it might explain why some perceive totally different scents sometimes...
    Currently wearing: Resina by Oliver & Co.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Buying decants on ebay is simply a lottery I'm not interested to play. But given that probably many decants are fake, it might explain why some perceive totally different scents sometimes...
    There are a few reputable people who sell genuine decanted samples or carded samples. I look for feedback and an actual pic of the bottle they decant from. As oceansoflorewi said, cheap plastic vials are a turn-off. I also look for sellers who post regularly on BN or Fragrantica. I've had very good luck in general, but a few are on my "Black list:." I do feel bad for honest sellers who have negative feedback that says "Horrible scent" or "Smells awful" You are not rating a scent on Ebay feedback,, just the seller. Anyone who blind buys a strong frag. then leaves poor feedback is unfair.
    Having said that " EBAY seller Smells_Good" is defiantly on my black list now. Too many complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by oceansoflorewi View Post

They hide behind their ISIS masks when caught and do the minimal to fix the situation.
    What now????

Quote Originally Posted by ddddmike View Post
    He's actually this https://www.scentsevent.com/
    Haven't bought from this seller on eBay, but I did buy a Dior Vetiver decant from the website that was fake. At the time I wasn't sure because I only had a 2mL sample from another site to compare to (though just reading the notes strongly suggested the conclusion), but a third decant from a BN member revealed the Scents Event product for what it was. The decant bottle just said "Vetiver" on it, so I figure either they'd made a mistake and grabbed the wrong one, or they were hedging and had "Oh, we grabbed the wrong 'Vetiver', sorry" as the excuse in reserve if I called them on it.

Also, annoyingly, the atomizer tube was too long for the bottle, and instead of cutting it they just bent it around so the opening was nearly at the top of the bottle.

Blog Entries

Ebay has been on the offensive trying to stop any sale of perfume/fragrance that isn't "new in box" People have had to list decants in other categories to prevent Ebay from deleting their listing. This is unfortunate as some people do sell genuine decants or "5 sprays used" bottles. In this Pandemic, many more blind buys are happening, Out of the last 3 purchases, all were blind buys and 2 were disappointments. Now I have to figure out how to sell my $100+ bottles that have literally 4-5 sprays missing. For some reason, BN marketplace hasn't led to any sales for me lately, and Ebay is making it tough. I hate sellers who scam and make it tough for us legitimate people. Over the years I've bought many bottles of juice that someone purchases took a spray out of and sells for a discount.

I hate sellers who scam and make it tough for us legitimate people.
    It is definitely a frustrating situation.

Ebay has been on the offensive trying to stop any sale of perfume/fragrance that isn't "new in box" People have had to list decants in other categories to prevent Ebay from deleting their listing. This is unfortunate as some people do sell genuine decants or "5 sprays used" bottles. In this Pandemic, many more blind buys are happening, Out of the last 3 purchases, all were blind buys and 2 were disappointments. Now I have to figure out how to sell my $100+ bottles that have literally 4-5 sprays missing. For some reason, BN marketplace hasn't led to any sales for me lately, and Ebay is making it tough. I hate sellers who scam and make it tough for us legitimate people. Over the years I've bought many bottles of juice that someone purchases took a spray out of and sells for a discount.
    I've noticed more than a few sellers using the "new" checkbox and then clarifying that it's used in their listing.

Ebay is giving sellers no other choice, but it just gives more artillery to unscrupulous buyers ( of which the numbers are growing ).

I think Ebay is doing this, in conjunction with the Perfume Industry at large, in order to sell more of their new releases. It deters people from locating HTF or discontinued pre-owned bottles........which, in turn leaves only new left to purchase.

I've ordered twice from the Scentsevent.com store and had no issues and found them to be good experiences, for what it's worth. Some of the samples I ended up purchasing full bottles of, one being Spice and Wood which didn't smell like the sample - the sample was actually better and how I remembered it upon release.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

I complained to eBay bitterly like 6x after they denied there was even a problem, and their explanation is below. My work-around is to list my pre-owned item as "new without box" even if it has a box. Doing it this way opens up the box called "Condition Description" where you can clearly state the true item condition, which then appears right under the listing header. If you say "new with box" then "Condition Description" does not open and you have to put everything way down in "Item Description," where a buyer is liable to complain they didn't see it.

Here is what eBay said:

With regards to your concern, we do not allow for used items to be sold in this category. We removed pre owned from perfume because of FDA regulations. It was stated at FDA website that "The Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act) defines cosmetics by their intended use, as "articles intended to be rubbed, poured, sprinkled, or sprayed on, introduced into, or otherwise applied to the human body. For cleansing, beautifying, promoting attractiveness, or altering the appearance" [FD&C Act, sec. 201(i)]. Among the products included in this definition are skin moisturizers, perfumes, lipsticks, fingernail polishes, eye and facial makeup preparations, shampoos, permanent waves, hair colors, toothpastes, and deodorants, as well as any material intended for use as a component of a cosmetic product."

Therefore, according to the FDA perfume is a cosmetic and according to eBay they don't allow you to sell used cosmetics. With this, the item condition either needs to be New with box or New without box. For more information about eBay Cosmetics policy, please copy the link below to a different browser: