Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default For the love of powerhouse perfumes

So, I'm a fan of big bold fragrances. Poison, Opium, Rive Gauche, Coco. Loud and retro, that's my jam. So I want to know - what's your favorite big powerhouse fragrance? Why do you love it? There are some that I love out of the bottle that just feel like too much to wear out and about without scaring people. Still wear them in my house all the time. Do you find that people react well to the "big" scents or not? I don't find that I smell a lot of powerful orientals or florals out and about anymore, at least not on young-ish women. Which is a shame, I'm so bored by all the sugary fruity florals that saturate the market these days.

Basically - share your love and stories of wearing loud powerhouse scents in this thread! Your favorites, reactions, memories - lets share the love!
    Currently wearing: Himalaya by Creed

Default Re: For the love of powerhouse perfumes

Angel
    Alien
    Amarige

3 A'S --- sexy, bold, tarty -- yum yum!

Edit -- just to confirm, I like to smell these fragrances on women, not on me. Ahem!
    Last edited by Kaern; 4th August 2020 at 04:29 PM.

I have quite a few in this style. From the top of my head my favourites are Opium, Fracas, Coco, Poison, Angel, Knowing and Nahema.

Quote Originally Posted by ineespenes View Post
    I have quite a few in this style. From the top of my head my favourites are Opium, Fracas, Coco, Poison, Angel, Knowing and Nahema.
    Oh yes, Fracas, I'd almost forgotten about that one. Gorgeous!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Izzie View Post
    So I want to know - what's your favorite big powerhouse fragrance?
    One I enjoy is the original Kouros.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Vintage (houndstooth) Miss Dior edt is the one for me, if it counts as a powerhouse. Part of the intrigue of discussing powerhouse fragrances is that I typically don't understand what people mean by the term: I've seen Santos and Bijan for Men described as powerhouses, and they have polite, modest performance on me with heavy sprays. I do, however, often like fragrances described as powerhouses, so the term has somewhat morphed in my mind into "really good perfumes that seem on the strong-ish side."

Rive Gauche, Alien, Ambre et Vanille, Fendi and Versace Blonde.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Fracas and Bandit, on a girl I'd love these two.
    I don't particularly enjoy power houses on myself as I'm too close to the explosion. I do have many powerhouses but I wear them under my shirt so the projection is under control.

RE: Rive Gauche - is it being discontinued? Am having trouble finding it in stores lately. It's one of my absolute favorites.

Yeah HOW I wear them is key for me. I try not to wear anything very strong too close to my nose, if that makes sense. I want to smell them but I don't want to feel like I'm being choked out by them.

Blog Entries

Another fan of Fracas & Alien here!

l'll add Black Orchid to the list.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Among the feminines with either powerhouse or at least classic features, qualities and hints-or ideally with both aspects at once, mot enjoyed so far:
    Je Reviens by Worth, Le Dix by Balenciaga, various Estee Lauder fragrances especially if vintage-like Spellbound and White Linen, Extase Musk, Ispahan by Yves Rocher-this one actually providing one of the best near leathery florals on levels comparable to Knize Ten or even Creed REL, C&E Nantucket Briar, Joop Le Bain, vintage Shiseido version Feminite du Bois and many more along these lines.

And while there may be not that much to say about each, still personally rating and remembering them as ideal benchmarks both as to how feminine powerhouses should be and also as to how statement making, brash, loud, yet never tasteless nor dissonant luxuriousness and extravagance can be so ladylike, fascinating and intriguing at once.
    All this and more in a balanced, resourceful, pleasantly challenging, opulent and never predictable nor generic way.

Incidentally, another quite decisive bit of the story is the fact that most of these were among the first if not even the very first feminines did admire, enjoy and wanted to find more about. Around the same time did start to get more seriously into this hobby and not just wanting but increasingly succeeding to first build a mental/virtual, then eventually real, factual, relatable database of solid reference scents for any gender.

queen of the universe

Amarige. I work with middle schoolers, or I did before the pandemic. It was my force field.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

I don’t have much in the way of powerhouse perfumes, but probably Gucci Rush fits the bill. I wish I had some of that truly opaque 1st edition.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

Sillage Monster

From my current wardrobe:
    Aura
    Coco
    Mitsouko

Big perfumes give me attitude and I enjoy dressing the part in my clothing too. I kind of miss shoulder pads sometimes. I'm loud and I'm proud. Sometimes it feels good to not rein oneself in.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

I admit I am a heavy sprayer so I can make almost any fragrance a powerhouse. LOL

But I have a No22 edt which is from the early 90s or late 80s and I always joke it could take down low flying aircraft so I use a light hand when spraying.
    DONNA

Basenotes Plus

Angel, Poison, Coco, Opium, Alien, Nahema for me.

I’ll add Habanita, LouLou, Obsession, and Cher Uninhibited.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Basenotes Member

I recently bought a sample of Nahema and love it. Also, Ta'if by Ormonde Jayne, which I love even more. One of the few good things about being lockdown is that I could wear anything I liked and not worry about scaring the horses. And if L'Heure Bleue is a powerhouse (?) I have a good version in sample form from 2017, which I'm getting dangerously close to buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    From my current wardrobe:
    Aura
    Coco
    Mitsouko

Big perfumes give me attitude and I enjoy dressing the part in my clothing too. I kind of miss shoulder pads sometimes. I'm loud and I'm proud. Sometimes it feels good to not rein oneself in.
    Oh! Mitsouko for me, too, then. I didn’t think of it that way, but I can see it. And Mitsouko and Diorella help me brace myself sometimes.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.
    Currently wearing: Infusion d'Iris by Prada

I like Opium.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Part of the intrigue of discussing powerhouse fragrances is that I typically don't understand what people mean by the term...I do, however, often like fragrances described as powerhouses, so the term has somewhat morphed in my mind into "really good perfumes that seem on the strong-ish side."
    I also question the terminology (as usual). I wear most of the vintages already cited upthread regularly, in modest amounts, never more than two or three sprays or dabs. I enjoy their vivid sillage and longevity but most of all I appreciate their complex structures as they transition through several phases that are usually much more than top, middle, and base. Over time, I perceive different notes dancing within the scent. They never bore me,

Many modern compositions seem to be univocal or at best comprised of a combination of a couple of fleeting top notes and a much too-persistent base. Vintage bases just fade away or leave faintly pleasant traces of scent, usually within 10-12 hours. Modern woody and musky bases (e.g. ambroxan, Norlimbanol, Timbersilk, et. al.) begin to feel almost tattooed onto my skin and seem to grow in intensity as the day wears on. I usually have to scrub them off to go to sleep because I begin to find the scent so annoying.

So, I think the answer to “What’s a powerhouse?” depends on your point of view.

Seconding also the aforementioned houndstooth Miss Dior, along with possibly other vintage Diors released in this bottle design: not just benchmarks for a certain (near) powerhouse style but also a classic masterpiece admirably crafted

Dependent

My favorite feminine marketed powerhouses are Angel, Fracas, Opium, Gucci Rush, and Poison.
    Currently wearing: Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

Rather fond of Tabu Cologne Spray (just a banging leatha' frag) and Cabochard ( feels like a much more wearable Aramis to me nose).
    Can see some more wears foe these in the coming season. Toppie

My collection includes Angel, Alien, Gucci Rush, and Opium (vintage, which has the half-life of plutonium), so I'm fairly set for powerhouses when the mood strikes. It doesn't often, but when it does, nothing but a powerhouse will do.

As for modern-day powerhouses...Black Orchid makes me feel the way I'm sure anyone who suffered through waves of Poison in the '80s did. I can't abide by it, but I certainly respect its chutzpah.

The queen of all perfumes: Samsara eau de parfum

I've gotten a relatively large decant of Fracas and have really been enjoying that this summer. It's certainly big for the first 30 mins, but the dry down is actually relatively calm and sits pretty close to my skin.

Not for hot weather, but in the autumn/winter. . .
    Imaginary Author's Bull's Blood is one of my favourites, such an intensely sensual fragrance. In the same line, though sweeter is Stranger's Perfumerie Sangre Dulce. Hiram Green's Hyde is another one that I adore, but have to be a bit careful how I wear.

Beaufort's Vi & Armis was love at first sniff though I maybe get to wear it 2 or 3x per year. I also keep a little sample of Zoologist's T Rex for when my partner goes out. He HATES it, but I really can't get enough of it.

I should probably also put Breath of God in this bucket. That one can be worn into spring, but sparingly.
    My summer rotation:
    Tropica by Maya Nije
    Via Camerelle by Carthusia
    The Smell of Freedom by Lush
    Chameleon by Zoologist
    Timbuktu by L'Artisam Parfumeur
    Fracas by Robert Piguet,
    Summer 20 by Ffern
    Currently wearing: Tropica by Maya Njie

Basenotes Plus

Talking Re: For the love of powerhouse perfumes

Some big Femmes I like to wear and love to scent on all genders.

Genny by Hanorah EDT
    Dior Dior Parfum
    La Nuit EDP by Paco Rabanne
    Paloma Picasso Parfum
    Diorissimo Parfum

There are others, however these are some I wear most often.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Dependent

I forgot to mention Amarige in my post. Love the smell, hate the strength. The strength of it is unbelievable!
    Currently wearing: Youth Dew by Estée Lauder

Adding Youth Dew, Hermes Rouge and Elizabeth Taylor's Passion. Opium, Coco and Obsession, which I also love, have already been mentioned.

I don't know if I need my fragrances to be powerhouses exactly, but I do love rich and complex fragrances that linger on my skin.