Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can cologne be stored on its side?

B6BFE970-4660-4BE4-8C0C-4A2BD298BD26.jpg

I have a sliding door closet that’s pitch dark, no light coming through. The problem is the master bathroom is right next to my closets. Only other dark places to store are my wooden drawers or cabinets in the kitchen. As much as I’d love to put them in the closet, I think about the blasts of steam pouring out the door and hitting the glass sliding doors. There is no fog however. Is it safe to keep them in the the dark closet if steam hits the closet door? My husband will never remember to close the door right away or shut it while showering.

Obviously the kitchen is a terrible idea, so my other choice was an empty drawer dedicated to just my fragrances. I can not stand them up however, and have to lay the boxes on their sides. Will this allow air to somehow get in? Is there a reason they stand them up when on display at stores? I keep my bedroom with the AC on in the day even when I’m not home. I already have been doing that because my expensive vinyl records need to be temp controlled to prevent warping. That shower gets used twice a day, and the small bathroom gets steamy very quickly. Can My husband can take one long shower with the door opened be enough to ruin them? Sorry for all the question, but I’m new at hoarding cologne like a nut case.

My Eros Flame was a blast of royalty trying it for the first time yesterday, now not so potent but I could possibly have nose blindness by now.

Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

You need to worry about storage if you plan to keep the perfumes for many decades. If you plan to use them within a few years, there's no issue with any of the solutions you're thinking about. Indirect exposure to these types of warm temperatures won't damage perfume until after many years.

For very long term storage, I don't know if keeping the bottles flat is problematic. I don't think it would be about air entering, but more whether this somehow damages the spraying mechanism. Other people will know better. But then, if you are really so interested into very long term conservation, then perhaps it's just easier for you to get some piece of furniture where the perfumes can stay upright and in the dark in the appropriate room.

Your difference in perception between a day and the other is not due to the perfume iself. Nose fatigue, as you were saying, or simply different circumstances (eg temperature, humidity, clothes and what note can change quite a bit how strongly a perfume is perceived).

cacio

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by KrisGreen View Post
    so my other choice was an empty drawer dedicated to just my fragrances. I can not stand them up however, and have to lay the boxes on their sides.
    This will not be a problem.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Wow, you really like Versace. I've never read anything about if it's ok to store them lying down. I don't see any reason why it would hurt anything.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Wow, you really like Versace. I've never read anything about if it's ok to store them lying down. I don't see any reason why it would hurt anything.
    Yes, he has stated previously he ONLY buys VERSACE.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Heaven's made of oakmoss

I agree with these gentlemen. No problem there as your bottles are new and crisp. I keep my fragrances in a wine-fridge w/ fixed temp setting and dark-tinted glass-front, bc my collection consists of 95% vintages.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

Most likely not, at least personally cannot imagine nor do not now if this storage method is not as good as keeping fragrances in any other orientation of the scent bottles.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Azzaro had several fragrances that were created in bottles resting on their side, not meant to stand vertically and they are perfectly fine.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I thought she said she was a she?
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs
    5. Creed Bois du Portugal
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

B6BFE970-4660-4BE4-8C0C-4A2BD298BD26.jpg

I have a sliding door closet that’s pitch dark, no light coming through. The problem is the master bathroom is right next to my closets. Only other dark places to store are my wooden drawers or cabinets in the kitchen. As much as I’d love to put them in the closet, I think about the blasts of steam pouring out the door and hitting the glass sliding doors. There is no fog however. Is it safe to keep them in the the dark closet if steam hits the closet door? My husband will never remember to close the door right away or shut it while showering.

Obviously the kitchen is a terrible idea, so my other choice was an empty drawer dedicated to just my fragrances. I can not stand them up however, and have to lay the boxes on their sides. Will this allow air to somehow get in? Is there a reason they stand them up when on display at stores? I keep my bedroom with the AC on in the day even when I’m not home. I already have been doing that because my expensive vinyl records need to be temp controlled to prevent warping. That shower gets used twice a day, and the small bathroom gets steamy very quickly. Can My husband can take one long shower with the door opened be enough to ruin them? Sorry for all the question, but I’m new at hoarding cologne like a nut case.

My Eros Flame was a blast of royalty trying it for the first time yesterday, now not so potent but I could possibly have nose blindness by now.
    It's funny that you asked this question about laying bottles on their sides. My OCD will not allow me to do this because I keep thinking the juice will saturate (for lack of a better word) the sprayer area and perhaps, over time, weaken the seal. So, I'm very strict about having my fragrances be vertical. That's just my personal belief and may or may not hold water.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs

Yes I’m obsessed with Versace and Donaltella herself. My early 20s I battled a terrible drug addiction and I saw how she battled hers. Personality is ferocious and I just admire her. She’s got great fashion and a major gay icon. I’m going to start collecting vintage Versace colognes that are no longer made.

Ever hear of that term “the one that got away?” Yes a very special man who still holds a place in my heart used to wear dreamer. When at the mall with him I found Man Eau Fraîche by own discovery. I was 20 he was 38. We wore Versace together. Because of meeting the wrong people and entering a temporary drug addiction, I lost someone I still miss daily. And those are the reasons for my brand loyalty.

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Yes I’m obsessed with Versace and Donaltella herself. My early 20s I battled a terrible drug addiction and I saw how she battled hers. Personality is ferocious and I just admire her. She’s got great fashion and a major gay icon. I’m going to start collecting vintage Versace colognes that are no longer made.

Ever hear of that term “the one that got away?” Yes a very special man who still holds a place in my heart used to wear dreamer. When at the mall with him I found Man Eau Fraîche by own discovery. I was 20 he was 38. We wore Versace together. Because of meeting the wrong people and entering a temporary drug addiction, I lost someone I still miss daily. And those are the reasons for my brand loyalty.
    That was a very moving and courageous read, Kris. Thank you for sharing! I'm still battling the aftermath of drug-abuse, myself, but I believe we come out the other side stronger. In that context I certainly understand your loyalty.
    Btw, where's that big hunk o' love that is Versace L'Homme??

Basenotes Plus

Can cologne be stored on its side?
    Yes, it can.

It cannot, however, be stored next to underwear with cartoon teddy bears on it. That would destroy its self-esteem.

Dependent

Yes, fragrances can be stored on their side. I've never heard anything bad about keeping them that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    That was a very moving and courageous read, Kris. Thank you for sharing! I'm still battling the aftermath of drug-abuse, myself, but I believe we come out the other side stronger. In that context I certainly understand your loyalty.
    Btw, where's that big hunk o' love that is Versace L'Homme??
    I haven’t bought it in years but am getting a bottle of 6.7 and 1.7 soon. I want a 6.7 Eros Flame. I literally became obsessed with cologne over night last week... ive spent at least 800 buying directly from Macy’s.

Thank you by the way ❤️

Heaven's made of oakmoss

I haven’t bought it in years but am getting a bottle of 6.7 and 1.7 soon. I want a 6.7 Eros Flame. I literally became obsessed with cologne over night last week... ive spent at least 800 buying directly from Macy’s.

Thank you by the way
    That's the spirit!
    And you're most welcome

Fragrance, sensory bliss.

I always wondered this myself especially with the sprayer mechanism, glad to know nothing damages things if they are stored this way mine are all upright now though.

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    I thought she said she was a she?
    No, his first post said 31-year-old male.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Personally, I wouldn't be concerned about storing them in this manner.

How limiting.

Thank you by the way ❤️
    800 in one week? Before you buy more, have a look at discounters like FragranceNet.com. They will have most of your Versaces for a mere fraction of what you've been paying.

Fragrance, sensory bliss.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    800 in one week? Before you buy more, have a look at discounters like FragranceNet.com. They will have most of your Versaces for a mere fraction of what you've been paying.
    Agree, unless it’s Chanel or a niche house that fakes are widely produced discounters are always the way to go same fragrances deep discounted never had a issue with the well known discounted sources.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    FragranceNet sent me a counterfeit Eau Fraîche. I called Versace about the details and they confirmed it was fake. The sprayer was on the left and not the right. It was so thin I had to squint to see it. Bottle was slightly shorter and smelled like chemicals. I got my money back after returning. I know many have gotten positive experiences but they sent me a fake. Even the lettering was off. The BBB has horror stories saying the same thing what I went through.

Macy’s sent me Eros Flame that was made November 2018. Go figure.

Freed from BN Institution

Depends on what it is. If it's a sprayer bottle sure. If it's a splash bottle particularly several decades old probably not. Small decants and samples definitely shouldn't be on their sides.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I always wondered this myself especially with the sprayer mechanism, glad to know nothing damages things if they are stored this way mine are all upright now though.
    Except for the one in your pic.

I didn't know it was confirmed it doesn't get damaged or mess with the mechanism.

No, his first post said 31-year-old male.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs

retails sure but any sort of decant absolutely not.
    Currently wearing: Acqua Wood by Collistar

FragranceNet sent me a counterfeit Eau Fraîche. I called Versace about the details and they confirmed it was fake. The sprayer was on the left and not the right. It was so thin I had to squint to see it. Bottle was slightly shorter and smelled like chemicals. I got my money back after returning. I know many have gotten positive experiences but they sent me a fake. Even the lettering was off. The BBB has horror stories saying the same thing what I went through.

Macy’s sent me Eros Flame that was made November 2018. Go figure.
    FragranceNet has a good reputation for being authentic, but I guess fakes can slip through the system. I'm sorry to hear about this.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Small decants and samples definitely shouldn't be on their sides.
    Why is this? I have stored them on the side without problem, but then again, I don't usually have them for extended periods of time.

They just can’t sleep face down due to the risk of sudden death, like what happens with babies.
    Last edited by Beck; 6th August 2020 at 08:08 PM.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Michael Edwards who writes "Fragrances of the World" stores all his scents with sprayer upside down, claiming it keeps the sprayer rubber lubricated.
    Therefore, keeping fragrances on their side is a really good idea until the bottle is more than half empty, and I keep most of mine either upside down or sideways.
    That said, one of my Maitre Parfumeur Et Gantier scents started leaking when kept on it's side.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Michael Edwards who writes "Fragrances of the World" stores all his scents with sprayer upside down, claiming it keeps the sprayer rubber lubricated.
    Therefore, keeping fragrances on their side is a really good idea until the bottle is more than half empty, and I keep most of mine either upside down or sideways.
    That said, one of my Maitre Parfumeur Et Gantier scents started leaking when kept on it's side.
    Regards,
    Renato
    It just makes sense that the most "leak proof" part of a bottle would be the bottom of the bottle where it's all glass and there's no seal or opening. I like the idea of lubrication, but the alcohol (and potentially the oils) could make those non-glass parts weaker over time. It's not like it's lubricating oil.

Again, this is not scientific but makes sense. If I have a choice to either saturate the bottle/glass part OR the weaker plastic, rubber, non-glass part, I would opt for the bottle/glass part 100% of the time.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs