Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 47
  1. #1

    Default Can cologne be stored on its side?

    B6BFE970-4660-4BE4-8C0C-4A2BD298BD26.jpg

    I have a sliding door closet that’s pitch dark, no light coming through. The problem is the master bathroom is right next to my closets. Only other dark places to store are my wooden drawers or cabinets in the kitchen. As much as I’d love to put them in the closet, I think about the blasts of steam pouring out the door and hitting the glass sliding doors. There is no fog however. Is it safe to keep them in the the dark closet if steam hits the closet door? My husband will never remember to close the door right away or shut it while showering.

    Obviously the kitchen is a terrible idea, so my other choice was an empty drawer dedicated to just my fragrances. I can not stand them up however, and have to lay the boxes on their sides. Will this allow air to somehow get in? Is there a reason they stand them up when on display at stores? I keep my bedroom with the AC on in the day even when I’m not home. I already have been doing that because my expensive vinyl records need to be temp controlled to prevent warping. That shower gets used twice a day, and the small bathroom gets steamy very quickly. Can My husband can take one long shower with the door opened be enough to ruin them? Sorry for all the question, but I’m new at hoarding cologne like a nut case.

    My Eros Flame was a blast of royalty trying it for the first time yesterday, now not so potent but I could possibly have nose blindness by now.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    22,487

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    You need to worry about storage if you plan to keep the perfumes for many decades. If you plan to use them within a few years, there's no issue with any of the solutions you're thinking about. Indirect exposure to these types of warm temperatures won't damage perfume until after many years.

    For very long term storage, I don't know if keeping the bottles flat is problematic. I don't think it would be about air entering, but more whether this somehow damages the spraying mechanism. Other people will know better. But then, if you are really so interested into very long term conservation, then perhaps it's just easier for you to get some piece of furniture where the perfumes can stay upright and in the dark in the appropriate room.

    Your difference in perception between a day and the other is not due to the perfume iself. Nose fatigue, as you were saying, or simply different circumstances (eg temperature, humidity, clothes and what note can change quite a bit how strongly a perfume is perceived).

    cacio

  3. #3
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    322,900

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Quote Originally Posted by KrisGreen View Post
    so my other choice was an empty drawer dedicated to just my fragrances. I can not stand them up however, and have to lay the boxes on their sides.
    This will not be a problem.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  4. #4
    Dependent Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    8,966

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Wow, you really like Versace. I've never read anything about if it's ok to store them lying down. I don't see any reason why it would hurt anything.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

  5. #5

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Wow, you really like Versace. I've never read anything about if it's ok to store them lying down. I don't see any reason why it would hurt anything.
    Yes, he has stated previously he ONLY buys VERSACE.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

  6. #6
    Heaven's made of oakmoss
    Marand75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,846

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    I agree with these gentlemen. No problem there as your bottles are new and crisp. I keep my fragrances in a wine-fridge w/ fixed temp setting and dark-tinted glass-front, bc my collection consists of 95% vintages.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Most likely not, at least personally cannot imagine nor do not now if this storage method is not as good as keeping fragrances in any other orientation of the scent bottles.

  8. #8
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    322,900

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Azzaro had several fragrances that were created in bottles resting on their side, not meant to stand vertically and they are perfectly fine.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  9. #9
    Dependent deltasun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    5,318

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Yes, he has stated previously he ONLY buys VERSACE.
    I thought she said she was a she?
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs
    5. Creed Bois du Portugal
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

  10. #10
    Dependent deltasun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    5,318

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Quote Originally Posted by KrisGreen View Post
    B6BFE970-4660-4BE4-8C0C-4A2BD298BD26.jpg

    I have a sliding door closet that’s pitch dark, no light coming through. The problem is the master bathroom is right next to my closets. Only other dark places to store are my wooden drawers or cabinets in the kitchen. As much as I’d love to put them in the closet, I think about the blasts of steam pouring out the door and hitting the glass sliding doors. There is no fog however. Is it safe to keep them in the the dark closet if steam hits the closet door? My husband will never remember to close the door right away or shut it while showering.

    Obviously the kitchen is a terrible idea, so my other choice was an empty drawer dedicated to just my fragrances. I can not stand them up however, and have to lay the boxes on their sides. Will this allow air to somehow get in? Is there a reason they stand them up when on display at stores? I keep my bedroom with the AC on in the day even when I’m not home. I already have been doing that because my expensive vinyl records need to be temp controlled to prevent warping. That shower gets used twice a day, and the small bathroom gets steamy very quickly. Can My husband can take one long shower with the door opened be enough to ruin them? Sorry for all the question, but I’m new at hoarding cologne like a nut case.

    My Eros Flame was a blast of royalty trying it for the first time yesterday, now not so potent but I could possibly have nose blindness by now.
    It's funny that you asked this question about laying bottles on their sides. My OCD will not allow me to do this because I keep thinking the juice will saturate (for lack of a better word) the sprayer area and perhaps, over time, weaken the seal. So, I'm very strict about having my fragrances be vertical. That's just my personal belief and may or may not hold water.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs
    5. Creed Bois du Portugal
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

  11. #11

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Yes I’m obsessed with Versace and Donaltella herself. My early 20s I battled a terrible drug addiction and I saw how she battled hers. Personality is ferocious and I just admire her. She’s got great fashion and a major gay icon. I’m going to start collecting vintage Versace colognes that are no longer made.

    Ever hear of that term “the one that got away?” Yes a very special man who still holds a place in my heart used to wear dreamer. When at the mall with him I found Man Eau Fraîche by own discovery. I was 20 he was 38. We wore Versace together. Because of meeting the wrong people and entering a temporary drug addiction, I lost someone I still miss daily. And those are the reasons for my brand loyalty.

  12. #12
    Heaven's made of oakmoss
    Marand75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,846

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Quote Originally Posted by KrisGreen View Post
    Yes I’m obsessed with Versace and Donaltella herself. My early 20s I battled a terrible drug addiction and I saw how she battled hers. Personality is ferocious and I just admire her. She’s got great fashion and a major gay icon. I’m going to start collecting vintage Versace colognes that are no longer made.

    Ever hear of that term “the one that got away?” Yes a very special man who still holds a place in my heart used to wear dreamer. When at the mall with him I found Man Eau Fraîche by own discovery. I was 20 he was 38. We wore Versace together. Because of meeting the wrong people and entering a temporary drug addiction, I lost someone I still miss daily. And those are the reasons for my brand loyalty.
    That was a very moving and courageous read, Kris. Thank you for sharing! I'm still battling the aftermath of drug-abuse, myself, but I believe we come out the other side stronger. In that context I certainly understand your loyalty.
    Btw, where's that big hunk o' love that is Versace L'Homme??
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

  13. #13
    Basenotes Plus

    Cook.bot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Land of Shrimp&Grits
    Posts
    7,189

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Quote Originally Posted by KrisGreen View Post
    Can cologne be stored on its side?
    Yes, it can.

    It cannot, however, be stored next to underwear with cartoon teddy bears on it. That would destroy its self-esteem.

  14. #14
    Dependent
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,242

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Yes, fragrances can be stored on their side. I've never heard anything bad about keeping them that way.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    That was a very moving and courageous read, Kris. Thank you for sharing! I'm still battling the aftermath of drug-abuse, myself, but I believe we come out the other side stronger. In that context I certainly understand your loyalty.
    Btw, where's that big hunk o' love that is Versace L'Homme??
    I haven’t bought it in years but am getting a bottle of 6.7 and 1.7 soon. I want a 6.7 Eros Flame. I literally became obsessed with cologne over night last week... ive spent at least 800 buying directly from Macy’s.

    Thank you by the way ❤️

  16. #16
    Heaven's made of oakmoss
    Marand75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,846

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Quote Originally Posted by KrisGreen View Post
    I haven’t bought it in years but am getting a bottle of 6.7 and 1.7 soon. I want a 6.7 Eros Flame. I literally became obsessed with cologne over night last week... ive spent at least 800 buying directly from Macy’s.

    Thank you by the way
    That's the spirit!
    And you're most welcome
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!

  17. #17
    Fragrance, sensory bliss.
    speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,255

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    I always wondered this myself especially with the sprayer mechanism, glad to know nothing damages things if they are stored this way mine are all upright now though.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

  18. #18

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    I thought she said she was a she?
    No, his first post said 31-year-old male.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

  19. #19
    Dependent PrinceRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,470

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Personally, I wouldn't be concerned about storing them in this manner.


    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Yes, he has stated previously he ONLY buys VERSACE.
    How limiting.

  20. #20
    Dependent PrinceRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,470

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Quote Originally Posted by KrisGreen View Post
    I haven’t bought it in years but am getting a bottle of 6.7 and 1.7 soon. I want a 6.7 Eros Flame. I literally became obsessed with cologne over night last week... ive spent at least 800 buying directly from Macy’s.

    Thank you by the way ❤️
    800 in one week? Before you buy more, have a look at discounters like FragranceNet.com. They will have most of your Versaces for a mere fraction of what you've been paying.

  21. #21
    Fragrance, sensory bliss.
    speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    6,255

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    800 in one week? Before you buy more, have a look at discounters like FragranceNet.com. They will have most of your Versaces for a mere fraction of what you've been paying.
    Agree, unless it’s Chanel or a niche house that fakes are widely produced discounters are always the way to go same fragrances deep discounted never had a issue with the well known discounted sources.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

  22. #22

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    800 in one week? Before you buy more, have a look at discounters like FragranceNet.com. They will have most of your Versaces for a mere fraction of what you've been paying.
    FragranceNet sent me a counterfeit Eau Fraîche. I called Versace about the details and they confirmed it was fake. The sprayer was on the left and not the right. It was so thin I had to squint to see it. Bottle was slightly shorter and smelled like chemicals. I got my money back after returning. I know many have gotten positive experiences but they sent me a fake. Even the lettering was off. The BBB has horror stories saying the same thing what I went through.

    Macy’s sent me Eros Flame that was made November 2018. Go figure.

  23. #23
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    53,718

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Depends on what it is. If it's a sprayer bottle sure. If it's a splash bottle particularly several decades old probably not. Small decants and samples definitely shouldn't be on their sides.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  24. #24
    Dependent deltasun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    5,318

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I always wondered this myself especially with the sprayer mechanism, glad to know nothing damages things if they are stored this way mine are all upright now though.
    Except for the one in your pic.

    I didn't know it was confirmed it doesn't get damaged or mess with the mechanism.


    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    No, his first post said 31-year-old male.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs
    5. Creed Bois du Portugal
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

  25. #25

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    retails sure but any sort of decant absolutely not.
    Currently wearing: Acqua Wood by Collistar

  26. #26
    Dependent PrinceRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,470

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Quote Originally Posted by KrisGreen View Post
    FragranceNet sent me a counterfeit Eau Fraîche. I called Versace about the details and they confirmed it was fake. The sprayer was on the left and not the right. It was so thin I had to squint to see it. Bottle was slightly shorter and smelled like chemicals. I got my money back after returning. I know many have gotten positive experiences but they sent me a fake. Even the lettering was off. The BBB has horror stories saying the same thing what I went through.

    Macy’s sent me Eros Flame that was made November 2018. Go figure.
    FragranceNet has a good reputation for being authentic, but I guess fakes can slip through the system. I'm sorry to hear about this.

  27. #27
    Dependent PrinceRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4,470

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Small decants and samples definitely shouldn't be on their sides.
    Why is this? I have stored them on the side without problem, but then again, I don't usually have them for extended periods of time.

  28. #28
    Dependent Beck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    no canto do cisco, no canto do olho
    Posts
    7,110

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    They just can’t sleep face down due to the risk of sudden death, like what happens with babies.
    Last edited by Beck; 6th August 2020 at 08:08 PM.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

  29. #29

    Renato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    14,060

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Michael Edwards who writes "Fragrances of the World" stores all his scents with sprayer upside down, claiming it keeps the sprayer rubber lubricated.
    Therefore, keeping fragrances on their side is a really good idea until the bottle is more than half empty, and I keep most of mine either upside down or sideways.
    That said, one of my Maitre Parfumeur Et Gantier scents started leaking when kept on it's side.
    Regards,
    Renato

  30. #30
    Dependent deltasun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    5,318

    Default Re: Can cologne be stored on its side?

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Michael Edwards who writes "Fragrances of the World" stores all his scents with sprayer upside down, claiming it keeps the sprayer rubber lubricated.
    Therefore, keeping fragrances on their side is a really good idea until the bottle is more than half empty, and I keep most of mine either upside down or sideways.
    That said, one of my Maitre Parfumeur Et Gantier scents started leaking when kept on it's side.
    Regards,
    Renato
    It just makes sense that the most "leak proof" part of a bottle would be the bottom of the bottle where it's all glass and there's no seal or opening. I like the idea of lubrication, but the alcohol (and potentially the oils) could make those non-glass parts weaker over time. It's not like it's lubricating oil.

    Again, this is not scientific but makes sense. If I have a choice to either saturate the bottle/glass part OR the weaker plastic, rubber, non-glass part, I would opt for the bottle/glass part 100% of the time.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs
    5. Creed Bois du Portugal
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford




Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 8th April 2018, 05:23 PM
  2. HABANITA de MOLINARD: Yesterday and today. Side-by-side comparison.
    By Andrè Moreau in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 24th September 2015, 09:55 PM
  3. YVES SAINT LAURENT side-by-side review: yesterday and today.
    By Andrè Moreau in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 18th September 2015, 03:49 PM
  4. Where to sample M7 vintage and current forumulation side by side (UK - Midlands)
    By JohnTheBeginner in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 28th August 2011, 04:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000