Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: SOTD: Thursday, 6th August, 2020

Hello all!

I don't enjoy at all hot weather, too...

I was wearing Carrière - Gendarme today.

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Lancôme L'Autre Oud

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by khanada View Post
    Sometimes, the best thing to do is nothing—just step away, and recharge one’s batteries elsewhere.
    Wise words, khanada! l think many of us feel guilty if we're not doing something, but recharging is essential in preventing burnout.

Sunnyfunny, what book are you reading?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Sunnyfunny, what book are you reading?
    critique of pure reason.jpg
    "They went to sea in a Sieve, they did, in a Sieve they went to sea." --Edward Lear

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnyfunny View Post
    Lovely scene, jujy! I've still got a bottle drawing in my mind, but I'm currently completely jacked up on this one book I'm reading. It's the single most challenging and rewarding thing I've ever read. I've got just under 50 pages to go and I already miss it. Was not expecting this experience when I ordered it and then began reading; my goal was simply to finish it. Now, it's become a defining factor of this already unique, strange, and beautiful summer.

Anyway, Shalimar today. Strangest thing-- I was out doing some yard work in this the other day when I smelled a distinct vanilla laced tobacco projecting from... somewhere. It might have been one of the neighbors lighting up a pipe, but might it also have been Shalimar magic? It's not what I smelled on my skin, that's for sure.

Hi, dear Sunnyfunny. I understand completely re: the book! Kant! Wow. For me, that thing during this interlude is the Alban Berg piano sonata, op. 1. It is by far the most musically challenging piece I have ever undertaken, and I have this sense of commitment about seeing it through, where a few weeks ago I was thinking, oh, just be happy with the four pages you can play. The piece gets really weedy staring on the last line of that fourth page, and the fifth was just bewlidering both musically and technically. There were so many ledger I lines I wanted to holler at this one high b-flat "don't jump!" Prior to that, tho I had literally spent a week on just four measures, the ones that introduce the new, weedy material. I thought of my students and how I challenge their negative self-talk, and how I should treat myself so well. So, I took apart the weedy part voice by voice, which is to say horizontally rather than vertically. I discovered what each line was about, discerned patterns. Lo and behold, this morning I put them together. It was like solving a puzzle, which is something I also enjoy going. I should note that spending a week on four measures would have been impossible in music school; now it is not only possible, but essential! I'd best accept this gift of time!

Right now, tho, I have to get about the mundane business of my messy house. SOTA will be ELdO Rien. Soundtrack will be some jazz piano.

ps—we are both in the weeds Teutonic!
    Last edited by jujy54; 6th August 2020 at 09:26 PM. Reason: postscript
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

SOTE: Ted Lapidus Pour Homme

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Went fragrance shopping for the first time in person in ages! Tested the followings on skin:

Une Bois Vanille
    Sangue Dulce
    Haxan
    Black Ambergris
    Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, orange blossom, osmanthus, ylang ylang, immortelle, violet, jasmine, plum blossom, heliotrope, and iris)
    Orientals (especially spicy, woody, and floral orientals)
    Boozy notes
    Chypres (especially with real oakmoss)
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances
    Great longevity and sillage

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

SOTE

Currently wearing: Furyo by Jacques Bogart

Basenotes Plus

Vintage Odeon by Godet
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    34 degrees for us but parts of the south east could be higher. 38.7 is the current record.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Wise words, khanada! l think many of us feel guilty if we're not doing something, but recharging is essential in preventing burnout.
    It is almost kind of sad, isn’t it? I can’t imagine that many people come to the end of their lives, and say, on their deathbed, to their loved ones, that they wish they had spent more time grinding away at work.

Shalimar and Kant—gurl, you do not play.

Joining in the lamentations—it’s 99 and sunny today, and my weather app says it will continue to be exactly the same, for at least the next week. Could we, possibly, schedule a “winter/Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanza/pagan solstice/snow day” event, and all take a long, glorious, sip from the big river in Africa, otherwise known as De Nile? I am, already, celebrating, right now, and wearing Anubis. Brrrr!

Last edited by khanada; 6th August 2020 at 10:18 PM. Reason: My GIFs will not embed, and animate!
    "Put on some red lipstick, and live a little."--Dita Von Teese
    Currently wearing: Vanille Tonka by Nicolaï

Better days are coming

Blog Entries

Hey, all.
    Across Sands, my usual sleep scent, applied a few hours ahead of bedtime.
    I get by with a little help from my (((friends))).

Sillage Monster

Another day in Black Vetyver Cafe
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Reluctantly tried another Ormonde Jayne sample today, the Prive, pleasantly surprised. Already hunting for a used bottle. Doesn't last as long as I would like but I like this one very much.

Blog Entries

jujy-- I just listened to Glen Gould's of Sonata No. 1. Respect, dude. I needed a scythe just to listen to it. Bravo to you for your push and persistence! The human condition is sometimes just exquisite.

The closest I can relate to that, musically speaking, is my attempts to parrot Rush's YYZ on bass. I can do the intro, but that's it. It's currently filed under "uncompleted projects" so I'll either finish it or die trying, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by khanada View Post
    Shalimar and Kant—gurl, you do not play.
    One could also interpret it as me taking myself too seriously, lolol XD
    "They went to sea in a Sieve, they did, in a Sieve they went to sea." --Edward Lear

Freed from BN Institution

Went with Guerlain Iris Ganache this evening
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Between two pine trees

Jon, I hope the weather forecasters collectively lost their minds, and what's actually in store for you is stonking big rainstorm tomorrow that will miraculously bring you and teardrop cooler temps. I'm sending my contrary weather thoughts winging eastward!

Wu Wei, khanada. I'll bet stepping away will be just what you need.

Sunnyfunny, you do you! My husband just finished Crime & Punishment. (He loves Russian novels; War & Peace is one of his all-time favorites.) I haven't read anything for a couple of months (since before the move) for reasons completely unfathomable to me other than I just haven't felt like it. I have, however, plowed my way through watching Succession, Ozark, most of The Good Place, and, now, God help me, I've discovered Bojack Horseman. At some point, I'll get my cultural mojo back.

Somehow, I spaced fragrance applying fragrance today. I think I'll put on a few drops of Musc Tonkin Extrait for bedtime tonight.

Also, I'll have an embarrassingly extensive contribution to the "Today I Bought Thread" next week sometime.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Sunnyfunny, you do you! My husband just finished Crime & Punishment. (He loves Russian novels; War & Peace is one of his all-time favorites.)
    Right on! I've not read any Dostoevesky yet, but Crime & Punishment is on my imminent to read list. Has he read Vladimir Volkoff's The Set-up?

queen of the universe

jujy-- I just listened to Glen Gould'sof Sonata No. 1. Respect, dude. I needed a scythe just to listen to it. Bravo to you for your push and persistence! The human condition is sometimes just exquisite.

The closest I can relate to that, musically speaking, is my attempts to parrot Rush's YYZ on bass. I can do the intro, but that's it. It's currently filed under "uncompleted projects" so I'll either finish it or die trying, lol.

One could also interpret it as me taking myself too seriously, lolol XD
    Yikes,Glenn Gould is apt to be thorny, thus the scythe! So far, I am resisting listening to any recordings, other than hearing Russ Kassoff play snippets as part of a daily facebook live. This means I have yet to hear it straight through. I'm finding lyricism in it, and hear 40 s movie music aspects (methinks Bernard Herrmann borrowed a bit of Berg).

Oh, and wait! Full stop! You play the bass? I was a bassist in a pit orchestra, ballet and opera. fwiw, I think you live life more than fine. I get a kick our of your posts.

SOTN is Chamade vintage EdC.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!