Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: The Official Tom Ford Fragrance Thread

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    I'll reference this old thread HERE to give what is hopefully now a less emotional assessment of the 5 I'd consider owning from the house:

1. Tom Ford for Men - affordable, solid, enjoyable, masculine, old school retro yet sort of modern and sexy.
    2. Amber Absolute - one of his few orientals that has really stood the test of time (Oud Wood, for instance, has not). It's still one of the best 'true' ambers to date, in my opinion, and is the kind of 'westernised' or 'modernised' opulence TF seems to seek in their fragrances. This is their best and is a 'purer' scent than Tobacco Oud Intense, which would come second.
    3. Beau de Jour - I'd pick the private blend over the signature given the choice, just a really solid and lush shaving cream scent with modern sensibilities.
    4. Oud Minerale - to date, there isn't an aquatic or marine fragrance quite like it. A wonderful, fresh, masculine aroma based on stryax and 'seaweed' allied to aromachemicals - the pinnacle of what Kenzo Pour Homme and Bvlgari Aqva were aiming for.
    5. Noir Extreme - this one is ultra feminine and sexy and would be ideal for a woman. Retro classical powdery spicy vanilla fragrance - it's so good, he's made it at least 3 times now (Noir Pour Femme, Vanille Fatale).

Hon mentions:

- Grey Vetiver EDT: so much better than the EDP, his best citrus fragrance.
    - Vanille Fatale: another wonderful vanillic scent and it's tied with Noir Extreme as the feminine vanilla fragrance, only losing out due to cost.
    - Tobacco Oud Intense: wonderful scorched Nag Champa fragrance.

But that's just my opinion. I 'get' Tuscan Leather and a few others, even if I don't like them.
    I enjoyed your assessment. Can you elaborate on why Oud Wood has not stood the test of time?

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Favorite of the three?
    The one that's the most "me" is Tom Ford for Men Extreme, so that one wins.

My least favorite Tom Ford scents are probably Oud Minerale (interesting concept, but harsh and unfinished) and Lavender Extreme (synthetic, cheap playdoh).

I enjoyed your assessment. Can you elaborate on why Oud Wood has not stood the test of time?
    Oh, I just think it's not a very good fragrance. As one of the 'first' ouds in the west, it had the novelty factor, but since then its use of a synthetic compound that isn't really all that close to the 'real' thing makes it far less exotic than it once was. Ultimately it just ends up smelling like a fairly soft, creamy, floral woody fragrance - that is overpriced for what it is, and there are far better 'clean wood' alternatives for far less money on the market. There are also better synthetic oud fragrances that can be had for a fraction of the price. It's the cost of being a market leader, I suppose, but then it benefits in that the legacy its reputation has means it still sells well and has emotional resonance with some who were 'there at the start', so to speak. You'll still see some on this site claim that the original private blends - Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Tuscan Leather etc - are the pinnacle and, reformulation issues aside, I just don't see it. I think they've created better fragrances since then, certainly when it comes to Oud Wood.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    My least favorite Tom Ford scents are probably Oud Minerale (interesting concept, but harsh and unfinished) and Lavender Extreme (synthetic, cheap playdoh).
    If we're doing this than I'll gladly chime in:

1. Vert d'Encens: cloying, disgusting, harsh and piercing green pine aromachemical allied to a harsh, cloying, sharp resin note, rounded out with a sickly, cloying sweet accord. Genuinely disgusting.
    2. Black Orchid: I 'get' it yet at the same time I don't. Smells discordant and harsh and like a drag queen with a hangover.
    3. Azure Lime: hairspray citrus fragrance with TF DNA...and it costs hundreds of pounds/dollars? Atrocious. You can add Venetian Bergamot to that list, too, but AL is worse.
    4. Tobacco Vanille: even in its early formulations I don't think it worked, there's something fundamentally discordant about it and sickly. Newer formulations are like a gourmand with some kind of burnt accord - like eating ice cream that's had cigarette ash dropped in it. It just doesn't work and smells like a fragrance created for drunks.
    5. Bois Marocain: animalic woody fragrance that makes you smell like a rotten wardrobe. Ambitious, but it doesn't work.

Hon mentions:
    - Santal Blush: awful synthetic floral sandalwood.
    (this list could get really long based on value so I'll just leave it...)

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Oh, I just think it's not a very good fragrance. As one of the 'first' ouds in the west, it had the novelty factor, but since then its use of a synthetic compound that isn't really all that close to the 'real' thing makes it far less exotic than it once was. Ultimately it just ends up smelling like a fairly soft, creamy, floral woody fragrance - that is overpriced for what it is, and there are far better 'clean wood' alternatives for far less money on the market. There are also better synthetic oud fragrances that can be had for a fraction of the price. It's the cost of being a market leader, I suppose, but then it benefits in that the legacy its reputation has means it still sells well and has emotional resonance with some who were 'there at the start', so to speak. You'll still see some on this site claim that the original private blends - Oud Wood, Noir de Noir, Tuscan Leather etc - are the pinnacle and, reformulation issues aside, I just don't see it. I think they've created better fragrances since then, certainly when it comes to Oud Wood.
    I think Oud Wood is a good fragrance, but not really a good oud fragrance. I'm happy to have owned it, but I'm also okay not buying another bottle.

I think Oud Wood is a good fragrance, but not really a good oud fragrance. I'm happy to have owned it, but I'm also okay not buying another bottle.
    To each their own ofc. I find something offputting in the private blend DNA and OW is one of many where it is prominent. I like smelling it once in a while but within almost an hour of applying having not tried it in weeks/months, I'm already wanting to wash it off. If someone has my initial reaction - which is a nice, pleasing, floral spicy woody fragrance that's clean - last for the duration then I could see how it appeals but, to me, it doesn't, so I don't think it's a good fragrance.

When TF left Gucci, I had really high hopes for his frag line.

Whatever it is... Fifteen years later, I haven't really found anything released by them that's a Love It for me. A couple sorta-likes...

Oud Minerale
    Noir Anthracite
    Bois Marocain

Most of the other stuff I've tried hasn't been BAD, really so much as bad value for me. At TF prices I could always find quite a few options I'd enjoy more, so I just never ended up with anything Tom Ford in my collection despite really WANTING to find something I liked. One of the more generally disappointing houses for me just by merit of high expectations.

Freed from BN Institution

Amber Absolute is a great reference to the amber note. One of TF's finest Private Blend creations.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

I enjoyed your assessment.
    I second that! Oud Minerale is fantastic. I'm very happy that I decided to pick up a full bottle of this while it was still somewhat widely available.

everyday i'm samplin'

TF for Men Extreme is fantastic.
    I smell.
    Currently wearing: O/E by Bogue Profumo

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Interesting note about Oud Minerale. I tried severally to like it but just couldn't.
    I ended up using it to perfume my shave butter mix, which has raw shea and cocoa butter. I add the jus in as I whip the two together.
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

It seems the ones I like best get discontinued. Ombre 16, beau de jour (I prefer the private blend version), Sahara noir, oud minerale, Tuscan leather intense, tobacco oud, vert de fleur, vert boheme, and anthracite. The brand seems capable of producing niche wonders like those, and them gives them up in favor of popularity; an odd, recurring change of direction, changing their mind is irritatingly epidemic in the line.

At least black orchid is still here. I love it, but one spray is quite enough. Has anybody tried the new black orchid parfum?

Basenotes Plus

Shanghai Lily's gone up for sale at Fragrancebuy for $219 CAD/50mL. They're certainly selling off some TF stock at good prices these days.

So farm must admit enjoying (among many other options from the designer line of this house like Grey Vetiver EDP, Man/Man Extreme, Noir etc. and the designer exclusive/niche one like TV, Tuscan Leather, some of the oud and of the Neroli Portofino variations) especially but not exclusively Beau de Jour-also as a likely benchmark for the better ones among newer TF releases

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    So farm must admit enjoying (among many other options from the designer line of this house like Grey Vetiver EDP, Man/Man Extreme, Noir etc. and the designer exclusive/niche one like TV, Tuscan Leather, some of the oud and of the Neroli Portofino variations) especially but not exclusively Beau de Jour-also as a likely benchmark for the better ones among newer TF releases
    Beau de Jour is great. Have you tried the Fougeres? You might like those as well.