Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fragrance, sensory bliss.

Default The Official Tom Ford Fragrance Thread

Discuss everything Tom Ford related here!
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Default Re: The Official Tom Ford Fragrance Thread

I’m debating picking up a bottle of Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EDP or Tom Ford Ombre Leather 2018 for another work fragrance. I have worn Grey Vetiver EDP many times in the past and appreciate it’s freshness and crisp clean smell it provides, I have not smelled Ombre Leather 2018 yet the distinct leather smell has me interested though. I’m able to get both for around the same price for a 100ml Grey Vetiver EDP would add another fresh fragrance to my wardrobe and Ombre Leather 2018 would bring something completely new to my rotation would do you suggest?

I own both but I enjoy OL18 much more!
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Great idea for a thread - one of my favorite houses!

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I’m debating picking up a bottle of Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EDP or Tom Ford Ombre Leather 2018 for another work fragrance. I have worn Grey Vetiver EDP many times in the past and appreciate it’s freshness and crisp clean smell it provides, I have not smelled Ombre Leather 2018 yet the distinct leather smell has me interested though. I’m able to get both for around the same price for a 100ml Grey Vetiver EDP would add another fresh fragrance to my wardrobe and Ombre Leather 2018 would bring something completely new to my rotation would do you suggest?
    You really can't go wrong with either of these two offerings by Tom Ford. If you already have some fresher work scents, I would personally favor Ombre Leather. It's got a very authentic leather note similar to that of Tuscan Leather, but it's toned down and much more office appropriate. Try sampling if possible.

I crack up at the use of 'official'.....like Tom signed off on this thread, haha.

I've always thought about having threads for all the major fragrance lines. Good idea, speckmania.
    Btw, have you tried Beau De Jour?

Freed from BN Institution

Anyone remember Moss Breches, Japon Noir, and Purple Patchouli?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I crack up at the use of 'official'.....like Tom signed off on this thread, haha.

I've always thought about having threads for all the major fragrance lines. Good idea, speckmania.
    Btw, have you tried Beau De Jour?
    I have not tried Beau De Jour yet I plan to I have not been out to any bigger retailer that would sell this yet. It’s also not discounted yet, Maxaroma has Ombre Leather 2018 100ml for $115 crazy deal right there.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I just picked up about 25 mL of Moss Breches from someone on this site. It's a very lovely mossy, spicy, and green scent, but longevity is a bit of a problem. I wore it about today, and it sort of wilted in the heat.

I haven't had the opportunity to try any of these yet, unfortunately.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Anyone remember Moss Breches
    I most certainly do.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I own but rarely wear Grey Vetiver. Vetiver is not my favorite note but I also find it a bit boring. You might enjoy it more but since you ask I would vote for Ombre Leather. The new thing in the wardrobe is nice and it is a quite nice fragrance. My wife is not a big fan of leather but this one she likes. But hey, try em and choose whichever you like the most.

I got rid of Private Blend stuff. I just never wore them.

I do like OMBRE LEATHER and BEAU DE JOUR. Very solid scents at not crazy prices.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

One of my favorite houses scent-wise, but performance is usually not the greatest (to put it mildly). I really like Neroli Portofino Forte. I've always thought Neroli Portofino was perfect neroli, but performance was a joke. Forte fixes that and doesn't change the scent much. Good good.

I also like Plum Japonais a lot. It's my favorite kind of fragrance - fruity, but fruit is not dominant. Performance though? Meh.

I really tried to like Noir Extreme, but there's something boring to it in my opinion and, again, performance is a no.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I got rid of Private Blend stuff. I just never wore them.

I do like OMBRE LEATHER and BEAU DE JOUR. Very solid scents at not crazy prices.
    I have a couple of fragrances from their Private Blend which I bought when I was initiating my journey into fragrances, but these days I find it very difficult to justify the prices that they charge when compared to most real niche fragrances out there. I do own OL18 - which is a very nice fragrance at its price point though.
    Currently wearing: Oligarch by Roja Dove

Agree, good thread to make considering the house pumps out a few new fragrances every quarter.

Tom Ford for Men was one of the first 'upmarket' fragrances I bought. Unfortunately it's not what it used to be and reformulation seems to have killed many of their releases. I'm slowly stocking up back up bottles of the first run of the signature Beau de Jours in the knowledge that subsequent batches will probably be vastly different within 2-3 years. I cba experiencing what I experienced with TFFM.

I found the house a useful stepping stone to other, better made fragrances and from a branding perspective I think they are right at the top. However, other than BdJ, I'm not sure anything particularly catches my eye from them, particularly in the private blend.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

I own several TFs.

Tom Ford Extreme
    Tobacco Oud
    Beau De Jour
    Ombre Leather
    Grey Vetiver

I'm still planning on picking up:
    Noir Anthracite
    Noir Extreme
    Our Wood
    and a few others that escape me at the moment.

I like the large amount of variety they offer.

I have not tried Beau De Jour yet I plan to I have not been out to any bigger retailer that would sell this yet. It’s also not discounted yet, Maxaroma has Ombre Leather 2018 100ml for $115 crazy deal right there.
    Try ebay. I bought my first bottle for £65 back in January or early February. Not sure what it's like in the US but it's too new to be fake and prices should surely be around 50% of the retail price.

I have owned full bottles of:

Tuscan Leather
    Extreme
    Oud Wood
    Tobacco Vanille
    Tobacco Oud

...and have sampled a dozen more. I still have Tobacco Oud on hand as I've trimmed down my wardrobe to just 2 or 3 fragrances a number of times. I am learning mindfulness in this hobby and a very wise Basenoter taught me to be ruthless in my judgement toward my fragrances. Less is more when it comes to perfumes, but that's a topic for another thread. For example, I love Tuscan Leather's opening, but the smoky harsh dry down is simply unrelenting. So I gave away my bottle.

If Tuscan Leather's dry down smells like cigarettes, then Tobacco Oud smells like the most decadent, photorealistic cigars I've ever come across in a perfume. It's my favorite fragrance, from Tom Ford and in general, though that's bound to change at some point. I don't miss most of the frags I've given away and I don't regret it (although I wish I still had Extreme). I actually gave away my bottle of Tobacco Vanille to my girlfriend, so I still get to enjoy that one regularly. It's better on her anyways.

Tom Ford Private Blend was my gateway into (semi) niche perfumery simply because it is so widely available. I was so impressed with the house because all of its fragrances smelled of huge personality, unlike the wimpy majority of designers I had been used to. I appreciate the diverse offerings, both in the signature and private line, and most of them smell of quality to me. I think I would still say that this is my favorite house, or at least one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    I have owned full bottles of:

Tuscan Leather
    Extreme
    Oud Wood
    Tobacco Vanille
    Tobacco Oud

...and have sampled a dozen more. I still have Tobacco Oud on hand as I've trimmed down my wardrobe to just 2 or 3 fragrances a number of times. I am learning mindfulness in this hobby and a very wise Basenoter taught me to be ruthless in my judgement toward my fragrances. Less is more when it comes to perfumes, but that's a topic for another thread. For example, I love Tuscan Leather's opening, but the smoky harsh dry down is simply unrelenting. So I gave away my bottle.

If Tuscan Leather's dry down smells like cigarettes, then Tobacco Oud smells like the most decadent, photorealistic cigars I've ever come across in a perfume. It's my favorite fragrance, from Tom Ford and in general, though that's bound to change at some point. I don't miss most of the frags I've given away and I don't regret it (although I wish I still had Extreme). I actually gave away my bottle of Tobacco Vanille to my girlfriend, so I still get to enjoy that one regularly. It's better on her anyways.

Tom Ford Private Blend was my gateway into (semi) niche perfumery simply because it is so widely available. I was so impressed with the house because all of its fragrances smelled of huge personality, unlike the wimpy majority of designers I had been used to. I appreciate the diverse offerings, both in the signature and private line, and most of them smell of quality to me. I think I would still say that this is my favorite house, or at least one of them.
    I dig your assessment. I just begrudgingly bought a backup Private Blend Beau de Jour. I've tried to swear off backing up bottles but this one, in particular, is discontinued and I really dislike the dry down in the Signature version. BdJ and Tuscan Leather are the keepers of the Tom Fords I own.
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck

All Is Beautiful

My favorites are London and Shanghai Lily.

Both so unique and so interesting and so pleasant from opening through drydown.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

There is something abt neroli portofino that makes me week in the knees. Yes performance is crap but i dont mind reapplying as i can enjoy that beautiful opening several times in a day.
    Tuscan leather for me defines the genre.
    So does oud wood.
    Grey vetiver is really nice but im 20 yrs too old for it ...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne
    Currently wearing: Reflection Man by Amouage

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I own several TFs.

I'm still planning on picking up:
    Noir Anthracite
    Noir Extreme

I like the large amount of variety they offer.
    Noir Anthracite is pretty good, and especially if you like the drier, darker, and more bitter side of TF Oud line. I don't find it to be particularly sophisticated or well-rounded, though -- it's like the core of a good scent that needs some finishing. But somewhat paradoxically, I also do happen to like its rawness.

Noir Extreme is one of those root beer/spicy frags. It's quite nice for a "date night" type of scent, but not something that I'd wear in a work environment. I have a 10mL decant, and probably won't go much beyond that.

Based on your collection I think you would absolutely love Beau de Jour.

Ombre Leather is a fine fragrance, smells something like a leather car interior or a nice leather jacket. Very enjoyable and nothing in your wardrobe really scratches that itch
    Currently wearing: Dakar by Al Rehab

Quote Originally Posted by BeardedBarbershopFan View Post
    Based on your collection I think you would absolutely love Beau de Jour.

Ombre Leather is a fine fragrance, smells something like a leather car interior or a nice leather jacket. Very enjoyable and nothing in your wardrobe really scratches that itch
    Thanks for the reply, I plan to get Ombre Leather 2018 soon looking forward to smelling this one.

Quote Originally Posted by satyen View Post
    There is something abt neroli portofino that makes me week in the knees. Yes performance is crap but i dont mind reapplying as i can enjoy that beautiful opening several times in a day.
    Tuscan leather for me defines the genre.
    So does oud wood.
    Grey vetiver is really nice but im 20 yrs too old for it ...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Grey Vetiver EDP imo doesn’t have a age range, everyone always considers it on the mature serious side and vetiver is so versatile as a note it works on anyone. It’s all what your comfortable wearing though as everyone has their own opinion on age range for a fragrance.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Vert des Bois is amazing. A proper retro done right perfume with lots of green notes, soft patchouli and hints of smoke. Anyone into classic green masculine fragrances would find much to love here.
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    I dig your assessment. I just begrudgingly bought a backup Private Blend Beau de Jour. I've tried to swear off backing up bottles but this one, in particular, is discontinued and I really dislike the dry down in the Signature version. BdJ and Tuscan Leather are the keepers of the Tom Fords I own.
    Good choice on backing it up. It's only going to get harder to get as time goes on. Besides, your wardrobe seems small enough that you still might use the back up at some point.

I own three:

Noir Anthracite
    Ombré Leather 16
    Tom Ford for Men Extreme

At this time, I don't envision buying another, but would grab Sahara Noir if it wasn't now a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I own three:

Noir Anthracite
    Ombré Leather 16
    Tom Ford for Men Extreme

At this time, I don't envision buying another, but would grab Sahara Noir if it wasn't now a unicorn.
    Favorite of the three?

I'll reference this old thread HERE to give what is hopefully now a less emotional assessment of the 5 I'd consider owning from the house:

1. Tom Ford for Men - affordable, solid, enjoyable, masculine, old school retro yet sort of modern and sexy.
    2. Amber Absolute - one of his few orientals that has really stood the test of time (Oud Wood, for instance, has not). It's still one of the best 'true' ambers to date, in my opinion, and is the kind of 'westernised' or 'modernised' opulence TF seems to seek in their fragrances. This is their best and is a 'purer' scent than Tobacco Oud Intense, which would come second.
    3. Beau de Jour - I'd pick the private blend over the signature given the choice, just a really solid and lush shaving cream scent with modern sensibilities.
    4. Oud Minerale - to date, there isn't an aquatic or marine fragrance quite like it. A wonderful, fresh, masculine aroma based on stryax and 'seaweed' allied to aromachemicals - the pinnacle of what Kenzo Pour Homme and Bvlgari Aqva were aiming for.
    5. Noir Extreme - this one is ultra feminine and sexy and would be ideal for a woman. Retro classical powdery spicy vanilla fragrance - it's so good, he's made it at least 3 times now (Noir Pour Femme, Vanille Fatale).

Hon mentions:

- Grey Vetiver EDT: so much better than the EDP, his best citrus fragrance.
    - Vanille Fatale: another wonderful vanillic scent and it's tied with Noir Extreme as the feminine vanilla fragrance, only losing out due to cost.
    - Tobacco Oud Intense: wonderful scorched Nag Champa fragrance.
    - London: fantastic opening, let down by the heady-floral drydown.

But that's just my opinion. I 'get' Tuscan Leather and a few others, even if I don't like them.