Code of Conduct

Default My tuberose is blooming!

My love of perfume has led me to become something of a gardener. I haven’t had much luck with my gardenia blooming, but the tuberose is finally here after three months’ wait!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: My tuberose is blooming!

Well done, you!

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll make those gardenias bloom, too!

Basenotes Institution

Congrats Kotori and thanks for sharing. On average, what is the duration of the bloom? I used to buy the cut ones and they last about five days or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Well done, you!
    Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    Congratulations! I'm sure you'll make those gardenias bloom, too!
    Thanks Ladies! I probably need to move the gardenia into a sunnier spot or trim the big tree back. Maybe next year for the gardenia.

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    Congrats Kotori and thanks for sharing. On average, what is the duration of the bloom? I used to buy the cut ones and they last about five days or so.
    Hi CapriDog- it’s looking like a week or so, all the buds started opening more or less at the same time. Luckily I have three more that took, just no buds yet. Hopefully before the frost. Since I live in zone 7b, I should dig them up before winter and store the roots someplace warmer. I got them from Holland, but due to covid-related supply chain issues, I didn’t get it at the perfect time for planting here. If I save them and replant next year, I can start earlier and maybe get a second bloom time out of them.

The cut flowers are gorgeous; my mom just received some in a flower arrangement.

When I first read the thread title I thought it was something metaphorical, but no your tuberose is literally blooming! LOL

So let us know, which fragrance best captures the real smell?

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    My love of perfume has led me to become something of a gardener. I haven’t had much luck with my gardenia blooming, but the tuberose is finally here after three months’ wait!
    Didn't know what they look like... or a real one smells like either!!! But that's quite the flower! Congrats.

Blog Entries

Wonderful Kotori, congrats!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I enjoy looking at your beautiful photo much more than actually smelling the flower.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Wow, that's great! How does it smell?

I've planted jasmine and honeysuckle for the same reason and I'm looking into planting a good smelling rose.
    Currently wearing: Ylang 49 by Le Labo

Brilliant photo, Kotori.

You are so clever to have grown such a beauty!
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    When I first read the thread title I thought it was something metaphorical, but no your tuberose is literally blooming! LOL
    I wouldn’t blame you for assuming it’s metaphor; I’ve been known to speak in metaphor from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    So let us know, which fragrance best captures the real smell?
    That’s quite the challenge, isn’t it? I’m not sure I’ve got many tuberose fragrance samples on hand, but I might be able to get my hands on a few before the other plants bloom, if they bloom. Not sure I trust my memory from all the passes over the years. You see, like hednic, I am not generally a fan of the note in perfumes. But I have found that smelling things in nature is very different, so I was curious.

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    Didn't know what they look like... or a real one smells like either!!! But that's quite the flower! Congrats.
    Yeah, they’re rare and expensive in cut flower arrangements, at least in the US; I was also curious, and that’s why I added these bulbs to my spring planting order this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I enjoy looking at your beautiful photo much more than actually smelling the flower.
    I can relate to that. But actually, unexpectedly, I really like the smell of the real flower.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Wonderful Kotori, congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by kewart View Post
    Brilliant photo, Kotori.

You are so clever to have grown such a beauty!
    Thank you, teardrop and kewart. I spent most of my life living in a climate where you don’t have four months of consistent sun to grow these (Chicago), so it would take very skillful gardening, if that. It’s perhaps easier here in the South where things become summer in April. teardrop, I know you love tuberose fragrances; have you smelled the flowers?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowtone View Post
    Wow, that's great! How does it smell?

I've planted jasmine and honeysuckle for the same reason and I'm looking into planting a good smelling rose.
    I didn’t know that, yellowtone! I planted jasmine, too, but it turned out to be not “real” jasmine; it’s Madison Star Jasmine, but it still smells nice. Honeysuckle is invasive here, but I love it; my neighbor grows it and I sometimes pluck some... I also grow camellias (smell like cinnamon) and daffodils/jonquils, and irises— big, gorgeous, bearded irises that smell kind of peachy. My rose caught a disease a few years ago, and all the roses get it in my neighborhood so I dug it up and decided not to grow more. I have some 2 year old peonies, too, but they haven’t bloomed yet. I’ve planted hyacinths before as annuals. I think I’ll buy bulbs this time. I want to try Datura and Lily of the Valley, but I don’t want to poison any dogs.

And it smells... great! Kind of waxy and fresh. Take a tuberose perfume, and take out some of the sharpness and rot; make it softer and less in-your-face. It’s a wafting soft of smell that catches you by surprise when you’re close by, and makes you wonder, What’s that great smell? I think Carnal Flower probably has it best, but one of those ones Manny did at Rogue was good, too; can’t remember which one...not Flor Mortis, though. I think Fracas is probably more like a painting of a tuberose than an actual tuberose, if that makes sense. Michael Kors, in retrospect, doesn’t smell too much like real tuberose, but it does get the fresh and wafting character right. I think my tuberose smells a lot like a gardenia when it’s first blooming, but not that day-old gardenia that smells cheesy or mushroomy. It’s not as sharp a smell as I’d have expected, but anyone who makes a powdery tuberose is just wrong.

Well done!
    I love tuberose and I have planted this spring a few bulbs. I must have done it wrong, because it didn't grow anything. Next year I'll try again.
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

doomed smeller

A very pretty flower.
    Currently wearing: Noa Noa by Otto Kern

Missing Oakmoss

Oh, how beautiful, Kotori! Beloved tuberose, as wonderful to look at as it is to smell.

They sound lovely, and how cool that you live somewhere where all these wonderful flowers thrive.

I've never smelled real tuberose, I would love to but they don't grow here. The nicest smelling honeysuckle varieties remain very small here, but they do smell great. My jasmine is modest but it smells great up close. Doesn't compare to the abundant bushes that I've smelled along the Mediterranean though, but that's to be expected in the rainy Dutch climate.
    Currently wearing: Ylang 49 by Le Labo

Blog Entries

No, l've never seen or smelled a real tuberose, although l'd love to!

l've smelled real gardenias & jasmine, mostly in Greece, & that scent is to die for.

We had a honeysuckle in the garden where l grew up, & l spent a lot of time sniffing that.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Freed from BN Institution

Congrats Kotori. Those look wonderful
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Congratulations and enjoy!
    Still thinking about a fragrance that might fit and celebrate this wonderful occasion, but apart from Zara Tubereuse Noir, Tuberose Winter and Tuberose Summer, l'Erbolario Tuberosa and Prada Infusion de Tubereuse did not find many fragrances yet worth to be recommended among the ones focusing on this particular note.
    Currently wearing: Envy for Men by Gucci

Lovely plant.

The smelliest plants I've got on my balcony at the moment are probably the tomatoes.

nice! i havent been able to get tuberose to bloom where i live. tried twice with no luck. maybe ill try again next year, we'll see. i can grow stock really well though, which smells amazing.

[QUOTE=Kotori;4966858]. Honeysuckle is invasive here, but I love it; my neighbor grows it and I sometimes pluck some.../QUOTE]

Are you talking the Asian Honeysuckle? People keep asking me how it smells and I think I have mentally tuned it out as I hate the stuff so much. It grows very thick very fast and will completely take over, and is almost impossible to kill. I was like the guy chasing the mole that pops up in another hold, cutting it out continually and it would come back overnight. Finally the Botanical Garden of all places told me how to poison it and not everything else around, and it's gone in the yard. But I expect in 10 years it will have killed off everything under 10 feet tall in the adjoining woods... Anyway, my advice is pluck away but never let that stuff get anywhere near your yard, it's a real pain to get rid of it!!

Nothing like the scent of the real flower, it is absolutely divine. My favorite along with the Plumeria flower in Maui.

Dependent

What a beautiful flower! Congratulations!