Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thinking of adding another Frederic Malle to my collection

I've been thinking of adding another Frederic Malle to my collection. I'm kind of torn in between Superstitious, Une Fleur de Cassie, Lipstick Rose, Music for a While, and Dans Tes Bras. Perhaps Rose and Cuir though leather can be a bit of a hit or miss for me.

Ideally I'd like something that isn't too similar to the things I already own. Something unique yet something wearable.

Any suggestions amongst these options, or anything else from the line not mentioned?

I already own Portrait of a Lady, Carnal Flower, Une Rose, Musc Ravageur, Dries Van Noten, Noir Epices, and Promise.

Thank you!
    Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, orange blossom, osmanthus, ylang ylang, immortelle, violet, jasmine, plum blossom, heliotrope, and iris)
    Orientals (especially spicy, woody, and floral orientals)
    Boozy notes
    Chypres (especially with real oakmoss)
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances
    Great longevity and sillage
    Currently wearing: Myths Woman by Amouage

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Thinking of adding another Frederic Malle to my collection

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Faubourg View Post
    Any suggestions among these options

Thank you!
    Dans Tes Bras.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Bigarade concentree
    Selling decants to CONUS, Tom Ford, Creed, MFK, and more!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/478...-Lush-and-more

Have you tried all of these before? They are all so different and many of these are rather polarizing so not a safe blind buy.

That said, since you like floral but already have Carnal and Une Rose, I would go with Une Fleur de Cassie. I'm pretty obsessed with it after buying a 10ml this summer, still it is a fragrance I have to be in the mood for and not an every day kinda thing. It checks many of the boxes in your loves list (floral, animalic, great longevity) yet is unlike the ones you own.

Dans tes bras is beautiful especially going into fall, but again one person's sensual musk is another persons nasty body odor smell. I think you would like this though since you like Musc Ravageur, I actually prefer it to MR as it is less sweet and has no vanilla.

I also love Rose et Cuir, but it is very much an abstract interpretation of these two notes. It is very linear, almost harshly green and synthetic but incredibly interesting to me. Don't expect any realistic rose or leather smell though.

Music for Awhile is another love hate, sometimes especially in hot humid weather I find it absolutely mesmerizing, other times the unrelenting sweet and almost acidic pineapple bothers me.

I'm less a fan personally of Superstitious and Lipstick Rose but maybe because I'm a guy and these are pretty feminine powdery florals. I wouldn't hesitate to wear these, but they are less to my taste than the others on your list.

I was underwhelmed by Cuir it just did not work on my skin.

Dans Tes Bras is interesting and well worth owning.

Superstitious you really need to love jasmine, I own but rarely wear and as said very feminine.

Music For A While very big on the lavender which I love this one is a BIG sillage fragrance. I spray with a very light hand.

Lipstick Rose quite sweet again one I don't seem to wear much.

Une Fleur de Cassie I bought as it was on sale and on a whim I do not regret it at all. Again very feminine and one I get compliments on, I never expect them.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Brigadoon by 4160 Tuesdays

Superstitious, a Chanelesque phantasmagoria! You will thank me later!

Superstitious, I don't find it feminine, if I read the notes you may think it's another continuation to the No'5 or a 22, but it's Ropion's most unique creation that stands alone. Smells like Elizabeth Bathory in all her beauty after her royal gothic bath!

Ps. If you decide to go for Cuir & Rose, there are couple of Hermès offerings that are very similar and not at all inferior for fraction of the price.
    Last edited by blackaroma; 6th August 2020 at 03:25 PM.

I would say given on what you currently have and that you are looking for soemthing different, it's between Rose & Cuir and Music for a While. Both polar opposites of each other.

The former is hard to get your nose over at first, but let it settle and it comes off as more woody than floral or leather to my nose. Music for a While is sweet to some extent but has a wonderfully made pineapple note. If you can, try before you buy.

Among those you selected, my favorite is Fleur de Cassie-an interesting, semi-dirty floral, different from the others you have. (Incidentally, I have not tried Rose Cuir).

Among others, my favorites are Vetiver extraordinaire and Eau de Magnolia, both fresh and summery.

another vote for Superstitious, very unique!

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

You'd want to buy these two, and in that order -

Une Fleur de Cassie
    Superstitious

Basenotes Junkie

Yet another Superstitious fan. I would look hard at Lipstick Rose as well. Rose & Cuir is fantastic but it is a fantasy name so it might not meet expectations. Wore Music for a While a few days ago. The patch seemed rather dirty in the heat and humidity... I had your question (problem?) and simply got them all over a period of time. None of these would be a wrong choice. If you dare go beyond what you listed The Moon should be tried. A strong performer by any measure you choose and while I never seek compliments I get them with The Moon more than any other scent I own. Good luck with your ongoing FM journey.
    Currently wearing: Sayat Nova by Bortnikoff

I would recommend Superstitious.

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by U2u View Post
    Yet another Superstitious fan. I would look hard at Lipstick Rose as well. Rose & Cuir is fantastic but it is a fantasy name so it might not meet expectations. Wore Music for a While a few days ago. The patch seemed rather dirty in the heat and humidity... I had your question (problem?) and simply got them all over a period of time. None of these would be a wrong choice. If you dare go beyond what you listed The Moon should be tried. A strong performer by any measure you choose and while I never seek compliments I get them with The Moon more than any other scent I own. Good luck with your ongoing FM journey.
    The Moon is perhaps my favorite Malle at the moment. Awesome!

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

Eau de Magnolia is another Malle which has really spoke to me lately. I'm glad to hear Superstitious is talked about highly on here. I still have to try this one. I hope you are successful in your search.

Dependent

+1 for Superstitious.

Thank you to everyone who responded! Yes, I have tried all of them minus Rose and Cuir at one point or another and remembered having a positive opinion of all, though it has been a while (and hundreds of more fragrances tried) since I've tried some. I'd rather avoid buying samples though I still do have a sample of Dans Tes Bras here.

I see a lot of recommendations for The Moon! I will give it a try if I make it to the actual store. Oud usually doesn't sit well on my skin so would want to give it a full wear, but it sounds lovely.
    Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, orange blossom, osmanthus, ylang ylang, immortelle, violet, jasmine, plum blossom, heliotrope, and iris)
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Dans Tes Bras is my recommendation for you 24 Faubourg, it's a very unique but wearable Musky scent that I find quite enjoyable.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    You'd want to buy these two, and in that order -

Une Fleur de Cassie
    Superstitious

Ditto. I also am a big fan of The Moon.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

You all have me very curious about The Moon! I remember smelling it on paper and really loving it but oud usually does so terribly on my skin. Will have to see if I can give this one a proper skin test...
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Also adding the fairly unisex Bois d'Orage
    Currently wearing: White Tag by Zara

I love Dans Tes Bras. It or Superstitious.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Superstitious is beautiful! It is a relatively clean-scrubbed chypre, that reminds me of the style of vintage Ivoire de Balmain, although it does not have the same greenness. Your username, 24 Faubourg, and your collection, which has a lot of opulent floral perfumes I love, tells me that you would probably wear and enjoy Une Fleur de Cassie very well, and enjoy its complexity, and, I think, along with Superstitious, it is the perfume on your list, likely to provide the most happiness and pleasure, in the long term, although Dans Ten Bras has a kind of understated elegance, equally complex, although less divaesque than Superstitious and Fleur. Lipstick Rose is fun, and I adore it, although less complicated. I am less familiar with Music for a While. Rose and Cuir . . . I didn’t like it at all, too much woody amber, for me.

Also, I think that Une Fleur de Cassie is one of The greatest perfumes, ever, for wearing in autumn. Even though mimosa and acacia, are, technically, spring flowers, it is a perfume of marvelous deep golden and sepia tones, and it has a pleasingly bitter personality, that resembles marigold and chrysanthemum, the flowers of autumn gardens, and homecoming mums. It is a personal favorite of mine, if you cannot tell. Also, have you considered Le Parfum de Therese? I think it is one of the best, of all the Malles. But, I think, you would love Fleur.
    "Put on some red lipstick, and live a little."--Dita Von Teese

Quote Originally Posted by khanada View Post
    Superstitious is beautiful! It is a relatively clean-scrubbed chypre, that reminds me of the style of vintage Ivoire de Balmain, although it does not have the same greenness. Your username, 24 Faubourg, and your collection, which has a lot of opulent floral perfumes I love, tells me that you would probably wear and enjoy Une Fleur de Cassie very well, and enjoy its complexity, and, I think, along with Superstitious, it is the perfume on your list, likely to provide the most happiness and pleasure, in the long term, although Dans Ten Bras has a kind of understated elegance, equally complex, although less divaesque than Superstitious and Fleur. Lipstick Rose is fun, and I adore it, although less complicated. I am less familiar with Music for a While. Rose and Cuir . . . I didn’t like it at all, too much woody amber, for me.

Also, I think that Une Fleur de Cassie is one of The greatest perfumes, ever, for wearing in autumn. Even though mimosa and acacia, are, technically, spring flowers, it is a perfume of marvelous deep golden and sepia tones, and it has a pleasingly bitter personality, that resembles marigold and chrysanthemum, the flowers of autumn gardens, and homecoming mums. It is a personal favorite of mine, if you cannot tell. Also, have you considered Le Parfum de Therese? I think it is one of the best, of all the Malles. But, I think, you would love Fleur.
    Thank you for your reply!! I managed to salvage a tiny bit from my old samples of Une Fleur de Cassie and Lipstick Rose so will attempt to do a comparative testing as much as possible. Sadly, was never able to get a Superstitious sample and only skin tested briefly while at the boutique one day. I actually have never even smelled Le Parfum de Therese!! I will have to try that next time I'm able to go there, along with The Moon which has been recommended here.

I do indeed love opulent florals! It is one of my favorite genres of fragrance. You have a wonderful collection yourself!
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Between two pine trees

Default Thinking of adding another Frederic Malle to my collection

Quote Originally Posted by khanada View Post
    Khanada just wrote everything I was going to say about Une Fleur de Cassie. It’s my favorite Malle, hands down. It’s also one of my favorite fragrances period. I receive a surprising number of compliments when I wear it even though it is most decidedly not a JFP.

One of the administrative assistants at my former employer just loved UFdC - when I walked past her desk in the morning, she would always recognize it and say, “Oh, you’re wearing the one I love so much!” My husband, on the other hand, took years to come around to it and still just sort of tolerates it because he knows I love it so much.

I also agree with khanada’s recommendation of Le Parfum de Therese. So, so vintage lovely.

Superstitious did not work on me at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    Superstitious did not work on me at all.
    I don't remember it very well. I might still have a sample. I remember not being excited.

Une Fleur de Cassie is my pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I don't remember it very well. I might still have a sample. I remember not being excited.

Une Fleur de Cassie is my pick.
    For whatever reason I can never get samples of this when I buy other things at Frederic Malle. They are always out, or perhaps it doesn't come with a sample. I've been able to skin test it but only in the store and usually I am smelling and testing other things too so it isn't exactly ideal.
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Lys Mediterranean

I haven’t been able to try that one yet! Will check it out.
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Faubourg View Post
    I haven’t been able to try that one yet! Will check it out.
    Lys Mediterranee is a good one. You can buy samples from them, or at least you could in the past.

But I fear our Frederic Malle tastes aren't in lockstep like our Rogue tastes.

The ones I like are Iris Poudre, L'Eau d'Hiver, Le Parfum de Therese, Lys Mediterranee, The Moon, Portrait of a Lady, Une Fleur de Cassie, Angeliques Sous La Pluie, Dans tes Bras, and French Lover (aka Bois d'Orage).