Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Default Current Kouros, Sport, Fraicheur, and The Man Silver clone

I tried out Kouros for a day and as soon as the dry down hit, it had a strong element of urine and I was thinking, "I can't be around people smelling like this." It was still a great scent, but not something that I'd feel comfortable wearing in a casual setting. I scrubbed it off but later that day I could still smelled it my wrist. The urine note was gone 6 hours later. Despite being an aromatic fougere on a sunny summer day but not hot, it was surprisingly wearable in that regard. But overall, just too heavy a scent for me.

Anyway, the scent itself is still addictive, and I ended up getting a clone of it, Milton-Lloyd The Man Silver to satisfy. I don't know if I just needed to get used to that style of scent, but this time around, I suddenly "got" why Kouros (in clone form at least) is King. Yeah, it's definitely men's restroom/urinal cake in the middle, but it works. And I assume that men's restrooms (the air fresheners, soap, whatever) emulated Kouros and not the other way around. According to a YouTube reviewer, this clone is a bit fresher than the real thing. Okay, that makes sense as to why I like it now.

Here's the problem: the clone has started to have this plastic/rubber smell through most of the fragrance. That's not something I can deal with. So I'm tempted to get the real YSL Kouros, but if it's still as heavy as I remember then maybe I shouldn't waste my money.

Are the Sport, Fraicheur and Cologne versions just like regular Kouros but slightly "fresher" like Milton-Lloyd's concoction? Or do these flankers change the formula a bit more? Is the urine note missing from the middle notes? As weird as it sounds, that's kind of Kouros's signature, isn't it?

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Default Re: Current Kouros, Sport, Fraicheur, and The Man Silver clone

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    I tried out Kouros for a day and as soon as the dry down hit, it had a strong element of urine and I was thinking, "I can't be around people smelling like this." It was still a great scent, but not something that I'd feel comfortable wearing in a casual setting. I scrubbed it off but later that day I could still smelled it my wrist. The urine note was gone 6 hours later. Despite being an aromatic fougere on a sunny summer day but not hot, it was surprisingly wearable in that regard. But overall, just too heavy a scent for me.

Anyway, the scent itself is still addictive, and I ended up getting a clone of it, Milton-Lloyd The Man Silver to satisfy. I don't know if I just needed to get used to that style of scent, but this time around, I suddenly "got" why Kouros (in clone form at least) is King. Yeah, it's definitely men's restroom/urinal cake in the middle, but it works. And I assume that men's restrooms (the air fresheners, soap, whatever) emulated Kouros and not the other way around. According to a YouTube reviewer, this clone is a bit fresher than the real thing. Okay, that makes sense as to why I like it now.

Here's the problem: the clone has started to have this plastic/rubber smell through most of the fragrance. That's not something I can deal with. So I'm tempted to get the real YSL Kouros, but if it's still as heavy as I remember then maybe I shouldn't waste my money.

Are the Sport, Fraicheur and Cologne versions just like regular Kouros but slightly "fresher" like Milton-Lloyd's concoction? Or do these flankers change the formula a bit more? Is the urine note missing from the middle notes? As weird as it sounds, that's kind of Kouros's signature, isn't it?
    I thankfully never got any urine smell from regular Kouros from Ritz through to L'Oreal, but right off the cuff I'd say that Fraicheur is your best bet when it comes to the flankers. It's a lovely fresh take on Kouros, still clearly Kouros but I certainly do not get any animalics in that. The Eau De Sport is basically just regular Kouros with the animalics toned down (or maybe that's the one for you?). The Cologne Sport I have not tried.
    I really recommend checking out some of the reviews here:
    http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancedi...search=Kouros+
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Dependent

Kouros Fraicheur may be what you're looking for; like a citrus-y Kouros without the heavier honeyed drydown that OG Kouros has. It's pretty good!

Kouros Eau de Sport basically just smelled like Kouros to me; /shrug

Kouros Cologne Sport is extremely different; and I don't really recall any resemblance to Kouros.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

You could also try Kouros Tattoo Edition if you can find it.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26127246.html

My answer is go with Kouros Fraicheur as well. Tried it from a vintage mini bottle and thought it was very wearable and pleasant. Year-round freshness, yet not your typical run-of-the-mill citrus or aquatic freshie.
    Currently wearing: No. 88 by Czech & Speake

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    Are the Sport, Fraicheur and Cologne versions just like regular Kouros but slightly "fresher"?
    You could say that for Fraicheur.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.