Code of Conduct

Default Frederic Malle French Lover performance?

What's up guys?! I've been so excited to get French Lover by Frederic Malle!! Two days ago if finally came in the mail. French Lover is ALMOST everything I thought it would be. The scent to me is amazing!! 9/10 for sure. However, I feel like after about 45 minutes or so it becomes a skin scent OR.... Perhaps I am going nose blind to it? Maybe this fragrance is meant to be work close to skin for an intimate encounter? Thoughts? Thanks guy!!

Default Re: Frederic Malle French Lover performance?

Have a partial travel size which performs fantastically in all areas from 2 small sprays. Oustanding projection, fills a room and lasts 10-12 hours at least. Recently bought a large bottle and am disappointed by the performance although the scent is still very good. Have noticed the ingredients on the new bottle are different.

I have noticed performance improve with certain other fragrances and hoping this one will too within the next year.

French Lover is easy to overspray... and it isn't very forgiving if you do. I went completely blind to it when I bought it. Two sprays max from the regular bottles and that should be more than enough, especially in the warmer weather.

I am not one to claim to be an expert on maturation and so on, but these newer Malle bottles do need to be sprayed a bit before they 'wake up'. I've experienced this with Musc Ravageur that took about a year to get to full strength. It can be too much to put on 1-2 sprays of that now. I even noticed this with a new bottle of Lumiere Noir from MFK. Wore it twice and almost sold it. Few weeks later and you won't pry it from my dead fingers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    Have a partial travel size which performs fantastically in all areas from 2 small sprays. Oustanding projection, fills a room and lasts 10-12 hours at least. Recently bought a large bottle and am disappointed by the performance although the scent is still very good. Have noticed the ingredients on the new bottle are different.

I have noticed performance improve with certain other fragrances and hoping this one will too within the next year.
    Ok, so obviously there was a reform there somewhere in between the travel size and your full bottle. I've read the older bottles were great performers, so it sucks that we got the new juice. Bro, I've noticed the "performs better with age" thing too, I'm just hoping it's the case with French lover. Maybe it just needs to macerate a bit. Thank for sharing your experience!!

French Lover is awesome. I only had 2 samples and I have found it pretty much as subzee described it. It goes as a skin scent too soon. I wish it could perform better.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    French Lover is easy to overspray... and it isn't very forgiving if you do. I went completely blind to it when I bought it. Two sprays max from the regular bottles and that should be more than enough, especially in the warmer weather.

I am not one to claim to be an expert on maturation and so on, but these newer Malle bottles do need to be sprayed a bit before they 'wake up'. I've experienced this with Musc Ravageur that took about a year to get to full strength. It can be too much to put on 1-2 sprays of that now. I even noticed this with a new bottle of Lumiere Noir from MFK. Wore it twice and almost sold it. Few weeks later and you won't pry it from my dead fingers!
    This makes sense about going nose blind. I sprayed 7 sprays lmao, I'm knew to the fragrance so I guess I went trigger happy. Ok maybe it's just me. Cuz I sprayed it on this morning before work. As I'm coming in, I pass one of my co-workers and she immediately starts coughing,you know one of those "damn, your cologne is too strong" type of coughs. I was like "well obviously she can smell it, lucky b****!! Lol. Hopefully it'll get more potent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by psebi101 View Post
    French Lover is awesome. I only had 2 samples and I have found it pretty much as subzee described it. It goes as a skin scent too soon. I wish it could perform better.
    Maybe we should layer it with Molecule 01, (which I don't own lol) I'm gonna get so roasted for this lol

Quote Originally Posted by SubZee View Post
    This makes sense about going nose blind. I sprayed 7 sprays lmao, I'm knew to the fragrance so I guess I went trigger happy. Ok maybe it's just me. Cuz I sprayed it on this morning before work. As I'm coming in, I pass one of my co-workers and she immediately starts coughing,you know one of those "damn, your cologne is too strong" type of coughs. I was like "well obviously she can smell it, lucky b****!! Lol. Hopefully it'll get more potent to me.
    Yup sounds like you should set it aside (store it correctly) for a few weeks. That’s what I need to do with every fragrance after going trigger happy, otherwise I’ll just associate it with negative experiences and that will be it.

I’ve worn it before in summer and thought it was great but that gorgeous galvanic just feels superb in the cooler weather so will be using mine a lot more then!

Yup sounds like you should set it aside (store it correctly) for a few weeks. That’s what I need to do with every fragrance after going trigger happy, otherwise I’ll just associate it with negative experiences and that will be it.

I’ve worn it before in summer and thought it was great but that gorgeous galvanic just feels superb in the cooler weather so will be using mine a lot more then!
    Thanks Rum!! I will definitely do that. You know what's funny? I thought the same thing about wearing it in fall. Like somehow, for one reason or another,that FL will have a bit more magical!!

Ok, so obviously there was a reform there somewhere in between the travel size and your full bottle. I've read the older bottles were great performers, so it sucks that we got the new juice. Bro, I've noticed the "performs better with age" thing too, I'm just hoping it's the case with French lover. Maybe it just needs to macerate a bit. Thank for sharing your experience!!
    The main difference between the older formulation and the new one is with the older one I notice it on myself throughout the day. I know the fragrance is still there with the new one only because my SO will comment about it many hours later, so either I am going noseblind to 2 sprays of the new juice or there is a new ingredient which plays hide and seek giving the fragrance only intermittent presence.

I’m not of the mindset new is bad or reformulation is always worse but the verdict is still out on this one, for the next few months at least.

Mine's not vintage, probably 3 years old, but seems to last a long time though I wouldn't call it a beast projection-wise. I do catch whiffs of it throughout the day when I used to wear it to work. Definitely let it macerate and use less sprays. Good luck!
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Kemi Tempest
    3. Jovoy Private Label
    4. Nishane Nefs
    5. Creed Bois du Portugal

Thanks Rum!! I will definitely do that. You know what's funny? I thought the same thing about wearing it in fall. Like somehow, for one reason or another,that FL will have a bit more magical!!
    It definitely works well in the autumn/fall. You will love it!
    Easily one of very few scents that I keep buying every couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    The main difference between the older formulation and the new one is with the older one I notice it on myself throughout the day. I know the fragrance is still there with the new one only because my SO will comment about it many hours later, so either I am going noseblind to 2 sprays of the new juice or there is a new ingredient which plays hide and seek giving the fragrance only intermittent presence.

I’m not of the mindset new is bad or reformulation is always worse but the verdict is still out on this one, for the next few months at least.
    Trust me, if it's a really new bottle, give it time to sit and mature a bit. I find with the new Malles, they need a lot of time.

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Mine's not vintage, probably 3 years old, but seems to last a long time though I wouldn't call it a beast projection-wise. I do catch whiffs of it throughout the day when I used to wear it to work. Definitely let it macerate and use less sprays. Good luck!
    Exactly that. I like to say it's a scent that enters a room with you, not five minutes before

OP & Sheik, do report back here and let us know how it goes for you in the future.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Love it and happen to get pretty good performance with it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Exactly that. I like to say it's a scent that enters a room with you, not five minutes before

OP & Sheik, do report back here and let us know how it goes for you in the future.
    Will do

I just hope Lauder hasn't started stepping all over new batches, 'squeezing the pips'

I have never been a huge fan of the Malle range, but performance wise I couldn't fault them

Happening to both own and enjoy this fragrance, so far got as performance at least (if not slightly more) than 6-8 hours, though admittedly with moderate to increasingly slight projection over time as this one gradually evolves

I echo the sentiment this one is easy to go nose blind to if you overdo it. When I first bought it I was wearing it everyday and spraying more and more because I couldn't smell it. I remember being in a shop and the shop assistant saying (from rather far away) "something smells AMAZING!" That's when I realized I had gone nose blind to it and I was blasting people with French Lover from 10 feet away.

I also agree there is something to maturation, not sure if it's in my head or a real thing. But a couple times I was disappointed with my new bottle compared to what I had sampled, only to eat my words a few months later when I think the perfume performs/smells exactly as it always had.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    I echo the sentiment this one is easy to go nose blind to if you overdo it. When I first bought it I was wearing it everyday and spraying more and more because I couldn't smell it. I remember being in a shop and the shop assistant saying (from rather far away) "something smells AMAZING!" That's when I realized I had gone nose blind to it and I was blasting people with French Lover from 10 feet away.

I also agree there is something to maturation, not sure if it's in my head or a real thing. But a couple times I was disappointed with my new bottle compared to what I had sampled, only to eat my words a few months later when I think the perfume performs/smells exactly as it always had.
    Thanks everyone for your input!! Sounds like I need to be patient and let it sit. I'm pretty new to niche and have come across some frags that were much too complex and challenging for my palate, but this one is so simple, refined and easy to love!! I'm keeping this one in my collection "for life"!!

This has been a recurring theme lately. I go through this a lot myself. Most of these scents evaporate to our nose but will be recognized by others.
    I'm going to say it won't get more potent to you. If wearing to work, you have to find the happy zone for it and just understand you may not smell it as prominently as others do.

I got my head kicked in a lot at work for scents that I barely knew were there. AVENTUS, LIDGE, A*MEN and COZE nearly got me sh*tcanned.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

It's reasonably long-lasting but doesn't project much. Also the scent has definitely changed (can't say for better or for worse) slightly, it appears greener now. I sold my bottle and don't miss it honestly.
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

Freed from BN Institution

Performance was good this one. I would apply lightly first then add more if needed.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Djedi by Guerlain

My bottle is about 4 years old now. The performance is well above average to me. I have no idea if it has been reformulated or not however, since it is the only version I have smelled since purchasing it.
    Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Performance was good this one. I would apply lightly first then add more if needed.
    I will try this. Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    This has been a recurring theme lately. I go through this a lot myself. Most of these scents evaporate to our nose but will be recognized by others.
    I'm going to say it won't get more potent to you. If wearing to work, you have to find the happy zone for it and just understand you may not smell it as prominently as others do.

I got my head kicked in a lot at work for scents that I barely knew were there. AVENTUS, LIDGE, A*MEN and COZE nearly got me sh*tcanned.
    I hate it when that happens. You come to work thinking you smell good,but really you're ( me ) choking everyone out!! Lol. Ooops!!

That's good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    It's reasonably long-lasting but doesn't project much. Also the scent has definitely changed (can't say for better or for worse) slightly, it appears greener now. I sold my bottle and don't miss it honestly.
    Did you sell it because of the reformulation? Or because the scent itself?

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Did you sell it because of the reformulation? Or because the scent itself?
    Mostly because though I admired it and maybe even liked it, I was never in love with it - and I'm always trying to reduce my collection. It was also a bit too weak on me, which was probably the biggest reason. I plan to buy Geranium pour Monsieur which is just as weak, but it's a scent I love a lot more.

Note that by 'weak' I'm mostly referring to the sillage/projection, longevity is okay on both for those styles of perfumes.
    Currently wearing: Sel Marin by Heeley

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    My bottle is about 4 years old now. The performance is well above average to me. I have no idea if it has been reformulated or not however, since it is the only version I have smelled since purchasing it.
    This has been my experience also (well above average performance) with a bottle I purchased directly from FM in 2016.