Code of Conduct

Default Smell of solid perfume

Hello!
    I am trying to make a solid perfume with essential oils. I tried a bunch of times, but I can not get a “good” result in terms of scent.

I tried multiple combinations but they are smell kinda bad, weird and artificially. Yes I know that solid perfumes will not smell like liquid perfume, but i believe they should smell a bit better than what I accomplished so far.

Below is one of the recipes that I made.
    .Patchouli-1 drop; Frankincense-1 drop; cedarwood-4drops; geranium-2drops; neroli-2drops; pine-7drops; lemon-3drops; bergamot-6drops; lemongrass-2drops.
    .candelilla wax - 1,7g; castor oil – 2ml; jojoba – 3ml; shea butter – 2g

Also, the smell almost disappears when I create the solid perfume :/ any tips for this? How to increase projection? (I do not put the oils immediately, I wait ~30 seconds to let it cool down)

If someone can make me a recommendation that will smell acceptable please tell me, i have about 40 essential oils.

Thanks for your for help!

Default Re: Smell of solid perfume

It will surely be mentioned that work should be done by weight not drops, but I will let that pass other than note that providing the formula in drops creates considerable obstacle to estimating how concentrated your final product is. It looks like it is of very very low concentration, so, no wonder on the lack of odor strength.

Perhaps there is such a thing as odorless castor oil. I have no castor oil but thought it had a scent.

Lemongrass is relatively very powerful.

There is such a thing as Pine essential oil but it is hardly a staple of perfumery, and you are using a lot.

There are many types of Cedarwood. Some smell good, others do not, at least to the perception of some.

Frankincense often does not work in formulas or must be kept very low.

You may find it easier to work with dilutions in fractionated coconut oil to at least get close and then evaluate in the solid form, rather than trying to formulate straight into the solid.

Thank you for your advice. I will consider other blends!

About the concentration, what are the % that i should use? Some website say between 1% to 5% because they are essential oils, etc, etc

I don't work with solids so really can't say, I simply had an impression that the amount of aromamaterials looked unlikely to be enough unless wanting something smelling only faintly.

Later this evening I will be able to look at Poucher's book and perhaps find relevant examples for you.

Oh ok. Thank you! If it is not too much trouble please tell me if you found something

Basenotes Plus

That "Pine" is likely the needle EO, and is mostly Limonene. So, that is a fresh citrus type scent, Yes?

Solid perfumes need to overload the topnotes, and possibly this dosage in relation to the rest is fine.

BUT< you likely need to raise your entire fragrance load up to something like 15% or 20% to last in your solid product.

You can also consider using floral waxes as part of your wax load.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Liberty naturals has floral waxes and concretes- more expensive but bigger bang
    Perfume concentration is generally 15%-30%. Aromatherapy usage is in the low percentages, generally 1%-5%. That is because the application is different: aromatherapy you are applying it to a larger percent of the skin and eos can sensitize( cause rashes). Perfumes will sensitize as well, so you will hear about eu regulations, which would not allow that much eos more likely than not. US is not as regulated, but still open to civil suit. If you are making it for fun for yourself or friends ,it is up to you.

The Poucher wax formula for solid perfume (No. 1300), is 20% aromamaterials by weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolieo View Post
    Liberty naturals has floral waxes and concretes- more expensive but bigger bang
    Perfume concentration is generally 15%-30%. Aromatherapy usage is in the low percentages, generally 1%-5%. That is because the application is different: aromatherapy you are applying it to a larger percent of the skin and eos can sensitize( cause rashes). Perfumes will sensitize as well, so you will hear about eu regulations, which would not allow that much eos more likely than not. US is not as regulated, but still open to civil suit. If you are making it for fun for yourself or friends ,it is up to you.
    Thanks for your help. I tried with about 30% but the smell is still super weak.
    What if i use some natural extracts like hedione and such?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    The Poucher wax formula for solid perfume (No. 1300), is 20% aromamaterials by weight.
    Should i use aroma chemicals instead of essential oils?
    Will this Boost the scent?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by justlows11 View Post
    What if i use some natural extracts like hedione and such?
    Hedione is not a natural. (unless one can buy a natural version...???)

Did you boost the topnotes to boost the scent?
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Hedione is not a natural. (unless one can buy a natural version...???)

Did you boost the topnotes to boost the scent?
    You are right, my bad (still learning the concepts and such).
    Yes, i tried boosting the top notes. I tried 55 top notes, 25 Middle, 20 base. But the smell is super weak, only noticible if i put my nose super close.

So, the aroma chemicals Will not increase the projection? Only the longevity?

Are you smelling on skin? If your base for the wax is too hard a wax it won’t release the scent. Aroma chemicals will help, but unless someone works in solid perfumes, they won’t know exactly what to tell you, everything is done through lots of trial and error. I do know from messing with it that the more waxy the less release of scent. My best was quite emollient, would risk liquefying in hot weather. The behavior was closer to an oil perfume, pretty close to the skin.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by justlows11 View Post
    You are right, my bad (still learning the concepts and such).
    Yes, i tried boosting the top notes. I tried 55 top notes, 25 Middle, 20 base. But the smell is super weak, only noticible if i put my nose super close.

So, the aroma chemicals Will not increase the projection? Only the longevity?
    Given that you seem to be new at this... Yes, there are nuclear synthetic materials, some nuclear naturals even too.

I keep seeing these ads for solid perfumes on Facebook. The ads keep claiming that solids are much better than spray. I could never agree with that statement. Solids subscribe to a philosophy of the person. With this subscription comes a decision to accept less. Less than another medium, and less performance and less ability to use raw materials. It's like wearing a candle instead of a perfume.

Your choice of medium and selling points are your own, but you simply cannot expect to equate a solid with a spray perfume, from any point of view. You can only perceive their limitations as acceptable.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes