Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Such a dilemma: to spray or not to spray rare vintage?

It's turning out that several of the fragrances I've tried are vintage, and here's the dilemma: they're rare and they can be very pricey. Once I've got the precious sample, I then worry about spraying it and using it all up too quickly, or leaving it and hoping it won't evaporate. I really love the vintage scents, they are such great quality, but on a budget I can't be too prodigal with my perfumes. On the other hand, what is the point of collecting them, if not to wear? Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do - wear or hoard? My absolute favourite is coty Le Rose Jacqueminot. I have never smelled anything so lovely and so other-worldly. Can't bear to waste it. Or Et Noir is another favorite. I think vintage scents are addictive!

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Such a dilemma: to spray or not to spray rare vintage?

Quote Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
    Does anyone else have this problem?
    Thankfully not a problem for me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

All Is Beautiful

Spray use enjoy buy something else.

Repeat.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Spray and savour!

Blog Entries

Use it, enjoy it! Samples are prone to evaporation.

Heaven's made of oakmoss

I wear mine. Sometimes I get a backup bottle if the fragrance is important enough to me, but never go overboard with that. There's a fine line between backing up and hoarding.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

I went through this too, but wait till your collection overgrown your clothing wardrobe and then spray with abandon...
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

I battle with this, myself. Every spray hurts a little, but what good are they really, if they aren't being enjoyed? Just use them sparingly.

Would still spray most vintages owned and in fact even the ones intending to purchase, own and use at some point.
    Also taking into consideration and factoring in that while often more expensive and much harder to find at any price than current fragrance outputs-nevertheless this particular disadvantage is often counterbalanced, equaled/matched, frequently even outdone by much more impressive rewards. Including but not limited to better quality ingredients, better performance, thus often better value for money etc., all in all providing a more satisfying return on investment, cost of ownership and/or price-quality ratio.

Enjoy them. Otherwise, what is the point?

Basenotes Member

Yes, I get it - spray, use up, buy more! I agree that it is pointless to buy wonderful scents if you're not going to use them. And I absolutely think that many vintages are far, far more rewarding to wear than so many contemporary ones. I would much rather have a small quantity of something of very high quality than the reverse. Thanks for the feedback, I'm feeling a bit less guilty now!

Blog Entries

I've learned a long time ago, if you sit and stare at your vintage bottle and call it "My Precioussssss" without every using it, one day it will be evaporated, broken, lost, stolen, and you will be no better off than if you never had it. I have a few that I'll never be able to replace, but I wear them on special occasions and savor the fleeting aroma. Carpe Diem!!!

Basenotes Plus

The only fragrances I have that I regard as irreplaceable are my 19th century Crown bottles. Even they might be replaceable, but I’ll wear them at some point either way.
    Currently wearing: Bois de Santal by Creed

Dependent

Spray it and wear it! If you don't, then what's the point of buying it?

Freed from BN Institution

It's turning out that several of the fragrances I've tried are vintage, and here's the dilemma: they're rare and they can be very pricey. Once I've got the precious sample, I then worry about spraying it and using it all up too quickly, or leaving it and hoping it won't evaporate. I really love the vintage scents, they are such great quality, but on a budget I can't be too prodigal with my perfumes. On the other hand, what is the point of collecting them, if not to wear? Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do - wear or hoard? My absolute favourite is coty Le Rose Jacqueminot. I have never smelled anything so lovely and so other-worldly. Can't bear to waste it. Or Et Noir is another favorite. I think vintage scents are addictive!
    I try to buy only things that I know I will wear however recently I too found myself being reluctant in wanting to crack open sealed bottles particularly from Guerlain.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Use it, enjoy it! Samples are prone to evaporation.
    This is very true. The containers that samples are stored in, how they're sealed, and how they're kept is important. Even then there's no guarantee a sample will be good for the long term.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

And I absolutely think that many vintages are far, far more rewarding to wear than so many contemporary ones. I would much rather have a small quantity of something of very high quality than the reverse.
    Definitely!!! The more sampling of new scents the better overall the vintage ones are....

Yes, I get it - spray, use up, buy more! !
    Just try not to look at prices (buy more) or spray and use up get harder!!!! Or maybe do look at prices and buy the backups that are affordable, either strategy will work.....

In my case I'd say it depends on how concentrated it is. Some vintage extrait "dab-ons" I wouldn't spray because the balance might be thrown out of whack. For example, if I were to atomise and spray a vintage loaded with civet or an extremely complex formula, one spray alone might give off a more potent aura at first than intended compared to one or even several dabs. If it was a vintage eau de cologne or eau de toilette (even if they were designed as a splash application originally), it would be fine to spray them more liberally as long as you aren't left with pools of the stuff on your skin.

A possibly futile thing I have done recently (to try and keep a pristinely preserved decades-old extrait from oxidising as much as possible) is to quickly decant some into an atomiser using a pipette, and then when I want to wear some I unscrew the atomiser and wipe the actual tube across my neck and chest. It does sound very tedious, but for me it is the way I can mitigate as much oxidation happening to the juice in the main bottle itself, and be able to apply a vintage extrait to the right tune without throwing the notes off balance by applying via atomiser.

In hindsight it makes sense that some companies added propellant to their extrait products that came in an atomiser bottle, maybe it helped with atomiser dispersal so the customer wouldn't run into this issue. But then again this is why I have never bought vintage extraits atomised from decades ago, I have read some skin-crawling horror stories about the propellant going off.

Anyways, enough of my babble! Enjoy your vintages and treasure every drop, they deserve to be worn and enjoyed!

It's turning out that several of the fragrances I've tried are vintage, and here's the dilemma: they're rare and they can be very pricey.
    Yes, I'm familiar with the issue.

Once I've got the precious sample, I then worry about spraying it and using it all up too quickly, or leaving it and hoping it won't evaporate.
    Perfectly healthy responses, as far as I know.

I really love the vintage scents, they are such great quality, but on a budget I can't be too prodigal with my perfumes.
    I'm right there with you.

On the other hand, what is the point of collecting them, if not to wear? Does anyone else have this problem? What do you do - wear or hoard?
    Amen! I wear them to the extent I can fit them in before they evaporate.

My absolute favourite is coty Le Rose Jacqueminot. I have never smelled anything so lovely and so other-worldly. Can't bear to waste it. Or Et Noir is another favorite. I think vintage scents are addictive!
    And this brings us to the subject of backups, and the question of whether to backup. I would say yes, but only for the ones you mentioned, or others you like as much as these, while being careful not to develop a shopping addiction.

Yes, I get it - spray, use up, buy more! I agree that it is pointless to buy wonderful scents if you're not going to use them. And I absolutely think that many vintages are far, far more rewarding to wear than so many contemporary ones. I would much rather have a small quantity of something of very high quality than the reverse. Thanks for the feedback, I'm feeling a bit less guilty now!
    Quite. The sweet spot in the market, I think, is underpriced vintage. You can get reassuring amounts of good vintage for low prices, still, although that might be more true in the US than elsewhere.

Basenotes Plus

I sometimes feel that I am on a mission to buy, open, and wear all of the vintage perfumes that someone else tucked away, still sealed, for a special occasion. And then they died...

So I would recommend wearing your vintage perfumes joyfully and liberally while you can. As others have said, the decants seem to evaporate fairly quickly. Even if the supplies of a specific scent dry up (Caron’s Or et Noir is a good example), there is always another great vintage perfume out there to try. No need to fixate on the ones that are unobtainable.

A nice article on this very subject: Perfume and the Lavish Hand

Spray away, girl!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    A nice article on this very subject: Perfume and the Lavish Hand
    I enjoyed that! Thanks for posting.