Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes

Today trying Kingston Ferry. Very hard to describe this. There is something that gives an ocean vibe early on but hard to tell exactly what notes, but it is not the typical aquatic thing. Beyond that having a very hard time - there are quite a few things going on with this but haven't been able to really identify any specific scents. Later on there are some floral notes, maybe what would be called white floral.... I'm not great at floral notes anyway. This has a lot of notes but didn't really go through a lot of phases, there was the initial but then from maybe half hour on it has been more or less the same. I am thinking this is not a very useful review!!! I was so lost on notes on this that I did not look at the directory list, will wear it again.... and if still lost then look at the list and go "oh yeah, I smell x" which sometimes happens only after you know what it is supposed to be.

Am not big on the masculine/feminine ratings of scents, but I think perhaps this would be more popular with females.... or maybe I just need more experience with florals!!

It is likable, if hard to pin down.....
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cartier by Cartier

Removed
    Last edited by kirkf; 7th September 2020 at 10:40 PM.

I’m happy to see this house getting more attention on here! Pretty much all I own here (many bottles now) with the exception of Sakura which is EDP rather than parfum has serious longevity and lasts throughout the entire day with no need to respray.
    Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, orange blossom, osmanthus, ylang ylang, immortelle, violet, jasmine, plum blossom, heliotrope, and iris)
    Orientals (especially spicy, woody, and floral orientals)
    Boozy notes
    Chypres (especially with real oakmoss)
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances
    Great longevity and sillage

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    ...Today is Woodcut. Liking this a lot. When you first put it on for about 2 minutes it smells exactly like you have the old circular saw going and are cutting up some pine or other light wood. Many times a scent name or list will lead you to a place that you may not have picked up on without the prompting, but you could call this Orange Vetiver and I would still think cutting wood right away. There is something in the first spray that kind of gives the "cutting" vibe, but after about five minutes then I just get woods. The longer you wear it the darker the tone gets. I don't know what "tolu balsam" is compared to generic balsam but perhaps it is dark. Pine, cedar, and oakwood are listed and you get those but there is a darker wood tone, maybe a mahogany or something I get but is not listed unless it is the tolu balsam.

Looked at the scent list only after wearing for hours but thinking maybe should have skipped it till after second or third wearing just to see what I would get. It lists caramel and I did get something sweet but on the dark side. After reading it I can kind of see the vanilla and faint burnt sugar, but would not have named those, was getting almost a dark butterscotch vibe.

To recap, this does change it's not a one-note wood thing, but it stays entirely in the wood arena. I like it a lot, but it's likely not for everyone. Not that it smells the same, but the design/ethic/vibe of it reminds me of Tam Dao, except that can't think of anything similar to compare to it. On first wearing I think I like this better.

Looking forward to additional wearings of this, but based on the first one it seems very FB worthy.

Next day update - this stuff has serious longevity!!! The projection was nothing huge which I prefer, but it was going strong at 12 hours and still quite noticeable at 18 hours. Still got light skin scent the next day. Am thinking one spray would do fine for this. If you like but don't love wood spray lightly!!
    Yes Woodcut is good stuff. I need to get a FB myself.

In case you didn't know, it won awards when it came out in 2015, under the "Artisan" cateogry: http://www.artandolfactionawards.org...and-finalists/
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Banned

Does woodcut smell generic like the majority of the dry down from designer's stuff out there?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ben805 View Post
    Does woodcut smell generic like the majority of the dry down from designer's stuff out there?
    Not to me.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Banned

I'm very curious about Sonnet XVII as well, the listed notes and reviews from frangrantica made it seems like some sort of artisanal Oud :-p

Definitely not—more sugared resiny real cedar, not "woody" molecules. Nothing "designer" about Olympic Orchids, to me.
    It's fairly similar to Profumo Roma's Arso IMO, if that's one you've come across.
    (The comparison to Tam Dao is accurate, too, though it has a different feeling than that one. Less soft.)
    Currently wearing: Playalinda by Chronotope

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mrmorel View Post
    Definitely not—more sugared resiny real cedar, not "woody" molecules. Nothing "designer" about Olympic Orchids, to me.
    It's fairly similar to Profumo Roma's Arso IMO, if that's one you've come across.
    (The comparison to Tam Dao is accurate, too, though it has a different feeling than that one. Less soft.)
    I hadn't thought of the comparison to Arso but I think I know what you mean. It's been a while since I've smelled the Profumum but I do remember it being much more burnt/smoky though...but yeah these 3 are in the same family for sure.

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Anyone gotten their nose on Tropic of Capricorn and Salamanca and willing to share their thoughts? Never sampled anything from the house but those two caught my interest!

Quote Originally Posted by Okumichi View Post
    Anyone gotten their nose on Tropic of Capricorn and Salamanca and willing to share their thoughts? Never sampled anything from the house but those two caught my interest!
    Salamanca is a very powerful, strong, masculine leather. It didn't work for me but leathers are very hit and miss on my skin, and the ones that are hit are usually more subtle. However, I think this will be great for someone who really loves a strong leather fragrance that packs a punch.
    Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, orange blossom, osmanthus, ylang ylang, immortelle, violet, jasmine, plum blossom, heliotrope, and iris)
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Banned

Very intrigued and impressed by this house so far I just had to order full bottle of Blackbird, Mardi Gras, and Sonnet XVII, along with a few samples of Chevalier Vert, Woodcut, Olympic Rainforest and Olympic Amber.

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Faubourg View Post
    I’m happy to see this house getting more attention on here! Pretty much all I own here (many bottles now) with the exception of Sakura which is EDP rather than parfum has serious longevity and lasts throughout the entire day with no need to respray.

I'm only a few samples in but agree fully so far, above average to exceptional longevity so far. I don't get great projection for people wanting to clear the room, but much prefer modest projection with strong longevity so I can smell it over time!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Yes Woodcut is good stuff. I need to get a FB myself.

In case you didn't know, it won awards when it came out in 2015, under the "Artisan" cateogry: http://www.artandolfactionawards.org...and-finalists/

That's not surprising, although it is related to a lot of scents it is a pretty unique take on wood, can see why it would be recognized.

Agree with others including mrmorel, not at all. There is no fake sweet type thing that I associate with newer designers, but really no comparison to any designer fragrances I have tried. It does remind me of Tam Dao, that's the only thing close to it, but they don't smell alike more related. Woodcut is more pure if that makes sense.

Very intrigued and impressed by this house so far I just had to order full bottle of Blackbird, Mardi Gras, and Sonnet XVII, along with a few samples of Chevalier Vert, Woodcut, Olympic Rainforest and Olympic Amber.
    I think I have samples pending of blackbird and rainforest but not the rest. Let us know what you think of Woodcut!!

Salamanca is a very powerful, strong, masculine leather. It didn't work for me but leathers are very hit and miss on my skin, and the ones that are hit are usually more subtle. However, I think this will be great for someone who really loves a strong leather fragrance that packs a punch.
    I have this one yet to sample and do like leather, although I do find on leather threads some things will get listed that don't really come across as leather to me.....

After a few days away back to sample - today is Red Cattleya. I suppose I could work out some plan for this but mostly just grabbing one each day.

This one has a picture of a red flower and the word "red" in the title so perhaps that is leading the nose.... The first minute or two seemed all floral and couldn't really identify any single scent, and after that it has settled down and the main thing I pick up is a scent like red rooiboos tea. As mentioned, there is the red to lead you, but right now I have half a dozen different loose leaf rooibois on hand and that is what I get. Tied in with that in almost equal amount is a floral I am going to call lily. There is occasionally other faint notes mixed in, sometimes like a drop of lemon, other times just a green "stem" type thing. I have not looked yet but am assuming I am missing some things, but it seems really locked into the tea/lily thing. I think I would like it with less lily and more tea, but that may be a minority viewpoint.

This is pretty far from any of my favorites, but I do like it. I have and like Bulgari eau the rouge a lot. That is supposed to be red tea but not a lot in common with this. The only comparisons I can draw, had a Goutal sample that I can't remember the name, and Acqua Di Colonia noble iris. Not this smells exact like noble iris, but similar in no wood, no musk, almost no citrus and floral without being sweet.

Maybe the best example is smells a bit like flowers right after going in a vase. Again more wearings are in order.

I'm only a few samples in but agree fully so far, above average to exceptional longevity so far. I don't get great projection for people wanting to clear the room, but much prefer modest projection with strong longevity so I can smell it over time!!!!
    Yes, that’s what I love about this house! Amazing longevity for most fragrance and nice silage without being overpowering.
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

I have this one yet to sample and do like leather, although I do find on leather threads some things will get listed that don't really come across as leather to me.....

Would be very curious about your thoughts. I wanted to love this one, if only because the name reminds me of Breaking Bad.
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Basenotes Member

Just finished going through the Dev series and alike to everyone else, loved most of it. Lil was the first scrubber from the house but otherwise 1-4 were fantastic. 1 having this aura of Zoologist Civet with its complexity, #2 has this fantastic boozy apple cider leathery animalic thing going for it. #3 was so interesting, very zen like and for some reason I was picking up on a black tea like experience. Must be the lemongrass and florals. #4 Ive sampled in the past and love it. Simple and resinous.

Quote Originally Posted by Sipy63 View Post
    Just finished going through the Dev series and alike to everyone else, loved most of it. Lil was the first scrubber from the house but otherwise 1-4 were fantastic. 1 having this aura of Zoologist Civet with its complexity, #2 has this fantastic boozy apple cider leathery animalic thing going for it. #3 was so interesting, very zen like and for some reason I was picking up on a black tea like experience. Must be the lemongrass and florals. #4 Ive sampled in the past and love it. Simple and resinous.
    Lil is the only one I haven't tried. I own 1-4 and love all of them.
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Banned

Personally i quite like Lil, the passionfruit and musk are quite prominent to my nose, this is much more uplifting than others from the Dev collection.

Basenotes Plus

She has a fragrance called Lil Devil? lol

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Basenotes Member

Personally i quite like Lil, the passionfruit and musk are quite prominent to my nose, this is much more uplifting than others from the Dev collection.
    I wish I got passionfruit as thats one of my favorite foods ever, alas it all settles down to a mosquito repellant-esque scent. Only one of hers I cant tolerate so far.

Banned

I wish I got passionfruit as thats one of my favorite foods ever, alas it all settles down to a mosquito repellant-esque scent. Only one of hers I cant tolerate so far.
    Then you will definitely like the Kirke from Tiziana Terenzi, it's VERY heavy on passionfruit, it is pretty much a fruit bomb. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Okumichi View Post
    Would be very curious about your thoughts. I wanted to love this one, if only because the name reminds me of Breaking Bad.
    (Tried California Chocolate yesterday. Maybe write about it next wearing. Another very unique scent....)

Today Salamanca. Didn't think about the Breaking Bad thing till you said that. I am liking this one a lot but it definitely is not for everybody. It might even fall into my "wear at home" category.

It starts off very strong with more projection than the others I have tried so far. At first it was kind of a stone/mineral thing and not sure what else was going on. After just a few minutes you feel like you are in a cave that is on the wet site sitting in an old school high quality leather couch. It's very dark, maybe even dank?.... little bit of earth but really more rock than dirt. Gradually it got more dry and maybe now the couch is in an English castle or something, you are still surrounded by rock but the dampness is gone. By the hour mark it was dry and perhaps a bit more dirt mixed in with the rock. The strongest scent the whole time is the dry leather with dark notes.... seems like could be oud or vetiver. It tones down slightly with time but at the 6 hours mark not really noticing much change since the hour mark except a little less strong.

I kept thinking there was something in this that was familiar, I think it is the ADP Colonia brown line. Colonia Ebano late into drydown gets in a nice dark mahogany phase that is extremely.... dark!!! The Colonia Oud has a very sharp mineral/earth tone once it settles down. Neither smell exactly like Salamanca - not getting any wood at all from it, but the tone is strikes seems quite similar. I would bet someone liking those two might like this, or not liking will not. Although there is huge leather here it's not like any other leather fragrances I have tried.

Now I have read the official notes and there are several am not familar with... mitti? helichrsym oil? Don't get immortelle or mimosa.... Don't get hay. Seems from other comments people get a lot of hay. But the official description talks of old stone buildings and leather goods, and water evaporating from stones.... those are dead on. But the hot sun on dry grass part I don't get, even after reading it....

This is one that has to be sampled I think, but anyone that likes very dark dry scents without sweet notes might go for it. A bottle would go a long way as this is seriously strong.

24 Faubourg, I take it that it didn't work.... what part of it didn't fit for you?

Banned

I have an order made on 8/9 is still pending processing, for whatever reason getting stuff from this house seems to be extremely slow. lol

Basenotes Member

I have an order made on 8/9 is still pending processing, for whatever reason getting stuff from this house seems to be extremely slow. lol
    Agreed. She usually takes a solid 1-2 weeks to ship.

Agreed. She usually takes a solid 1-2 weeks to ship.
    I am waiting on an order from 7/31. I contacted her about it yesterday and she said she is making new concentrate for fragrances that ran out due to the large volume of orders at the sale.
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast