Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes

Anybody try this house? I have tried the sample set from the Devil Scent project, both DEV #1: Foreplay and DEV #2: The Main Act are full bottle worthy. They seems to be underrated artisan perfumes, very natural smelling, and great performance. Haven't sample the Olympic Amber, Tropic of Capricorn, and Blackbird but they seem interesting as well.

All Is Beautiful

Default Re: Olympic Orchids Artisan Perfumes

Yes I have to have DeV two and a few others and I think it’s a great house. I don’t find the longevity very good but that’s always the case with Natural’s. Very reasonably priced too.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Yes I have to have DeV two and a few others and I think it’s a great house. I don’t find the longevity very good but that’s always the case with Natural’s. Very reasonably priced too.
    I hear Dev 2 is similar to EO2. Did you pick up on that at all?
    Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

Yes! I have a bunch from here:
    Night Flyer (which is the original Zoologist Bat), Dev 1, Dev 2, Dev 3, Dev 4, Woodcut, Blackbird, Golden Cattleya, Mardi Gras, Ballet Rouges, Sakura, Little Stars, California Chocolate, and Seattle Chocolate. I've tried others as well.

The longevity differs from each fragrance but I actually find it longer lasting than many other houses (amongst designer, niche, and indie) overall.

Dev 1, Dev 2, Woodcut, and Blackbird are must trys in my opinion. Ballet Rouges if you love rose, and Golden Cattleya and Mardi Gras if you like sweet fragrances, the later with an animalic side. I personally love Dev 4 a lot but it is understated compared to the other Devs.
    Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, orange blossom, osmanthus, ylang ylang, immortelle, violet, jasmine, plum blossom, heliotrope, and iris)
    Orientals (especially spicy, woody, and floral orientals)
    Boozy notes
    Chypres (especially with real oakmoss)
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances
    Great longevity and sillage

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    I hear Dev 2 is similar to EO2. Did you pick up on that at all?
    I found Dev 2 has a similar vibe as Black Afgano and Laudano Nero, it's incensy, dark, and a little animalic. Good stuff.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by ben805 View Post
    I found Dev 2 has a similar vibe as Black Afgano and Laudano Nero, it's incensy, dark, and a little animalic. Good stuff.
    I hear the whole dev series is like that! I want to try it out so bad. I hear she’s such a great perfumer and her prices are fantastic.
    Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Castingshadows View Post
    I hear the whole dev series is like that! I want to try it out so bad. I hear she’s such a great perfumer and her prices are fantastic.
    the devil project 5x 3ml sample set is only $28, definitely worth getting your nose on them as I'm sure you'll find at least 1 or 2 that your nose would agree on. Dev 3 has quite a bit of herbs and spices, a bit too heavy for me, probably would take some getting used to. while Dev 4 has the main accord of tolu balsam and olibanum. The 5th Lil is the freshest, with floral and fruity type note.

The 100ml ($120) price point is unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by ben805 View Post
    Very strange to read that it reminded you of black afghano, when afghano is herbal, canabis like smell with some smoke, and dev project is all about cloves, resins and a bit of smoke. 2 completely different directions to me.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I have tried quite a few from this house over the years.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

I've got the entire Dev series, Woodcut and Gujarat. Also used to own a bottle of the original Bat. I really love her work and the prices are insanely good. I should buy more now actually...

They actually just recently had a 10th anniversary sale. I stocked up quite a bit myself during this time! Even full price, though, prices are great.
    Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, orange blossom, osmanthus, ylang ylang, immortelle, violet, jasmine, plum blossom, heliotrope, and iris)
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Faubourg View Post
    They actually just recently had a 10th anniversary sale. I stocked up quite a bit myself during this time! Even full price, though, prices are great.
    They’ve been around for that long, eh? I bought their debut sample set years ago and enjoyed a few but don’t remember completing the exploration. It’s pretty low-key as a house.
    Currently wearing: Dia Man by Amouage

Tropic of Capricorn is my favorite from this house. Its one of the more expensive bottles, which means it's only *pretty cheap* instead REALLY CHEAP. Reminds me of Salome from Papillon with an added funky jungle mango element. Really outstanding. As said above, everything from the DEV series is worth a look too.
    Currently wearing: M by Puredistance

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    They’ve been around for that long, eh? I bought their debut sample set years ago and enjoyed a few but don’t remember completing the exploration. It’s pretty low-key as a house.
    Yes, apparently so! I only discovered them a few months ago due to the discontinuation of the original Zoologist Bat. The perfumer for it is the same one who runs Olympic Orchids and Night Flyer (the OG Bat) was the first bottle I bought. But I did a few blind buys and over the course of a few orders was sent many samples and almost always found things I liked amongst them. The price point is fantastic, even better during the sale (I bought six bottles over the duration of this sale myself), so was quite liberally buying them. There are of course ones I didn't love as much but a lot of hidden gems in this house.

Woodcut, Blackbird, Dev 1, and Dev 2 are ones I'd recommend anyone to try. Ballet Rouges is a must for rose lovers. The rest will depend heavily on your taste.
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mak-7 View Post
    Very strange to read that it reminded you of black afghano, when afghano is herbal, canabis like smell with some smoke, and dev project is all about cloves, resins and a bit of smoke. 2 completely different directions to me.
    Same genre IMO, black afgano and laudano nero are immediately came into my mind as soon as i spray on Dev 2, every single time. it's quite a dark juice.

Dev 2 is a fantastic perfume. It fills a room and lasts all day/night. So not all of her perfumes are low sillage.
    Currently wearing: Chypre Palatin by MDCI

Banned

Yes, apparently so! I only discovered them a few months ago due to the discontinuation of the original Zoologist Bat. The perfumer for it is the same one who runs Olympic Orchids and Night Flyer (the OG Bat) was the first bottle I bought. But I did a few blind buys and over the course of a few orders was sent many samples and almost always found things I liked amongst them. The price point is fantastic, even better during the sale (I bought six bottles over the duration of this sale myself), so was quite liberally buying them. There are of course ones I didn't love as much but a lot of hidden gems in this house.

Woodcut, Blackbird, Dev 1, and Dev 2 are ones I'd recommend anyone to try. Ballet Rouges is a must for rose lovers. The rest will depend heavily on your taste.
    I absolutely love Dev 1 and Dev 2, how good is the Blackbird? heard it is an amazing juice!

My three big loves from this house are Dev #1 (cinnamon musk), Blackbird (coniferous blackberry), and Woodcut (fresh cut wood and vanilla). This thread makes me want to try Ballet Rouges, which is one of the few I haven't tried.

Dependent

Never tried anything from this brand. Seems interesting. Do they have any leather or chypre fragrances?

I also recently became aware of them from Zoologist Bat then someone posted about the sale. I ordered a bunch of samples but not the Dev ones, those did not sound as interesting, but got a good mix of the rest. Especially interested in Woodcut, Tucson, and Rainforest. And since they do grow orchids, threw a couple of florals in just to explore, and more.

Had planned to try them and then pick up any full bottles during the sale, but I took some time to order and then it took a while for the order to be filled and then shipped so too late. Don't knock them for that, in current situations supply/shipping are very unpredictable.

The packaging on the order was quite good and it had a nice personal touch, and reasonable prices for samples. Looking forward to sampling these, maybe will get started this week!

Edit - there is an older post if you search that has some feedback on a number of the scents if anyone is trying to narrow down. Honestly, given the reasonable price I mostly just read the descriptions off their web site and picked a bunch and didn't follow prior recommendations much.
    Currently wearing: Elite by Floris

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    Never tried anything from this brand. Seems interesting. Do they have any leather or chypre fragrances?
    Salamanca is a leather and many people love it. It didn't work well on me, but leathers are very hit and miss (usually miss) for me.
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    I also recently became aware of them from Zoologist Bat then someone posted about the sale. I ordered a bunch of samples but not the Dev ones, those did not sound as interesting, but got a good mix of the rest. Especially interested in Woodcut, Tucson, and Rainforest. And since they do grow orchids, threw a couple of florals in just to explore, and more.

Had planned to try them and then pick up any full bottles during the sale, but I took some time to order and then it took a while for the order to be filled and then shipped so too late. Don't knock them for that, in current situations supply/shipping are very unpredictable.

The packaging on the order was quite good and it had a nice personal touch, and reasonable prices for samples. Looking forward to sampling these, maybe will get started this week!

Edit - there is an older post if you search that has some feedback on a number of the scents if anyone is trying to narrow down. Honestly, given the reasonable price I mostly just read the descriptions off their web site and picked a bunch and didn't follow prior recommendations much.
    The Dev fragrances are some of my favorites. If you ever do get the chance to try them, I recommend it!

A lot of great florals too. Ballet Rouges is my personal favorite. Golden Cattleya is nice if you like very sweet, honeyed fragrances.
    Loves:
    Boozy notes
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances

Happy to read about the excitement for her stuff, as I blindly placed an order on her anniversary sale. Went for 30mls of Blackbird, Dev #2, Night Flyer and Woodcut. If they are near as good as you guys seem to think, the price/quality ratio is amazing.

Dependent

Salamanca is a leather and many people love it. It didn't work well on me, but leathers are very hit and miss (usually miss) for me.
    Just checked it out.

The color of the juice is gloriously rich and brown. Always a good sign. Good price as well! Sounds right up my alley.

Basenotes Member

20% was great.

Gotta try Arizona and Tropics next.

I own Night Flyer and have samples of quite a few. Woodcut lasts ALL day. Great cedar scent with a bit of sugariness to it. Dev series is fun and worth checking out. All are high quality and do what theyre supposed to really well.

I'm bummed I missed this sale. Guess I wasn't on her email list! Time to rectify that.

Of the many I tried, I love Woodcut and Dev #2. I visit my samples from time to time but would love to have bottles of those to add to the regular line-up.
    There are others that I like pieces of (Gujarat, Olympic Rainforest, Blackbird), but sometimes they can feel a little brash or a little unbalanced. She definitely has a style, and it will not be for everyone.

But glad many are tuning in!

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    Especially interested in Woodcut, Tucson, and Rainforest. And since they do grow orchids, threw a couple of florals in just to explore, and more.
    I'm curious to read your thoughts about Tuscon and Olympic Rainforest in particular—I find these two weirdly similar even though they should be totally different. Keep us posted!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mrmorel View Post
    I'm bummed I missed this sale. Guess I wasn't on her email list! Time to rectify that.

Of the many I tried, I love Woodcut and Dev #2. I visit my samples from time to time but would love to have bottles of those to add to the regular line-up.
    There are others that I like pieces of (Gujarat, Olympic Rainforest, Blackbird), but sometimes they can feel a little brash or a little unbalanced. She definitely has a style, and it will not be for everyone.

But glad many are tuning in!

I'm curious to read your thoughts about Tuscon and Olympic Rainforest in particular—I find these two weirdly similar even though they should be totally different. Keep us posted!
    unfortunately, i didn't get my nose on the samples till after the 20% expired....kinda sad i missed it by 2 days, wish i tried the sample sooner, but even without any discount the price point is still unbelievably attractive!

Basenotes Plus

Yeah I love Woodcut
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood
    Currently wearing: Santal 33 by Le Labo

[QUOTE=mrmorel;4970141

I'm curious to read your thoughts about Tuscon and Olympic Rainforest in particular—I find these two weirdly similar even though they should be totally different. Keep us posted![/QUOTE]

Gave them a pass and just grabbed a sample out of the box today as it is still "heat warning mode" and didn't want to try something am looking forward to and maybe have weird results from high temps. Looks okay tomorrow so unless I forget will start trying these!!

So yesterday I wore Carolina. Need to wait for another wearing to discuss it accurately. It is pretty complex and goes through a variety of phases before ending up far from where it starts. I can't think of anything to compare it to yet. I am not sure if I would want a FB but I like it.

Today is Woodcut. Liking this a lot. When you first put it on for about 2 minutes it smells exactly like you have the old circular saw going and are cutting up some pine or other light wood. Many times a scent name or list will lead you to a place that you may not have picked up on without the prompting, but you could call this Orange Vetiver and I would still think cutting wood right away. There is something in the first spray that kind of gives the "cutting" vibe, but after about five minutes then I just get woods. The longer you wear it the darker the tone gets. I don't know what "tolu balsam" is compared to generic balsam but perhaps it is dark. Pine, cedar, and oakwood are listed and you get those but there is a darker wood tone, maybe a mahogany or something I get but is not listed unless it is the tolu balsam.

Looked at the scent list only after wearing for hours but thinking maybe should have skipped it till after second or third wearing just to see what I would get. It lists caramel and I did get something sweet but on the dark side. After reading it I can kind of see the vanilla and faint burnt sugar, but would not have named those, was getting almost a dark butterscotch vibe.

To recap, this does change it's not a one-note wood thing, but it stays entirely in the wood arena. I like it a lot, but it's likely not for everyone. Not that it smells the same, but the design/ethic/vibe of it reminds me of Tam Dao, except that can't think of anything similar to compare to it. On first wearing I think I like this better.

Looking forward to additional wearings of this, but based on the first one it seems very FB worthy.

Next day update - this stuff has serious longevity!!! The projection was nothing huge which I prefer, but it was going strong at 12 hours and still quite noticeable at 18 hours. Still got light skin scent the next day. Am thinking one spray would do fine for this. If you like but don't love wood spray lightly!!
    Last edited by woodnotes55; 14th August 2020 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Next day update

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast