Code of Conduct

Default old subject of wine cooler for fragrances

hello, I read many posts from many different sources about EDT"s and colognes in a refrigerator or better yet a wine cooler.
    I would like to tell you about the findings that I learned. I have not read about this from many others that have commented on this subject.

I have a wine cooler and my house gets pretty warm because I have no air conditioning. So I figure what the heck, put my EDT's''s and colognes in wine cooler, it won't hurt. I have a thermometer and I adjusted the wine cooler to 68 degrees which does not seem too cold but touching the bottles it's cold enough.
    What I found out is using the cologne at that cold temperature makes them completely without projection and they last about 2 minutes top. In fact, they have very little smell at all

Conclusion: maybe it is ok to store fragrances in a wine cooler for long periods, but you can not use them at that cool temperature. This finding on my part has no compromise. I tried a few good fragrances right out of the wine cooler and nothing, not much of a smell! The fragrances seem to be returning back to normal as they warm up to room temperature which is about 79 degrees in my house right now. I would not be surprised if they were damaged a little bit. They have been in the cooler for 3 days.
    All the posts I read did not mention this aspect. Once again I learn the hard way.
    I have to say one more thing and that is my house gets to be as cold as 60 degrees in the winter. I doubt the fragrance bottles will be as chilly and cold to the touch as they were in that wine cooler. Time will tell, the winter will be here eventually and I will find out! Previous years I was not interested in fragrances, so I don't know yet.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: old subject of wine cooler for fragrances

Interesting, but my fragrance storage experience has been completely the opposite.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

that is surprising, Even my ultra male fragrance had very little smell to it and I noticed that everything evaporated real fast too once it was on my skin.
    I will say one thing that may have a factor. It seems like to me that these fragrances are addicting, and also it seems like I need more and more of an application as time goes on. Perhaps my nose is getting broken? lol. although it's only been 3 hours since I shut the cooler down with the door open and everything I sample seems to be getting back to normal to my recollection, but my nose is not as sensitive as it was when I started with these fragrances 5 months ago. one dap was enough then and now I using 4 times as much!

Wandering and Smelly

If I recall correctly, the spectrum of smell is greatly dampened in cold/er temperatures with the exception of some scents such as sulfur. I don't know if that comes into play regarding projection but it may be part of the issue.
    If you can smell me you're too close.
    Scent is an exercise in patience and imagination.

Strange, I wouldn't think 68 degrees would affect it. But if the room temperature is 79, that's not bad. Just as long as it's not extreme heat.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Strange, I wouldn't think 68 degrees would affect it. But if the room temperature is 79, that's not bad. Just as long as it's not extreme heat.
    the problem is my house will get about 85 to 89 on a real hot day while I am at work. I will say that after the experience with the cold bottles of only 66 to 68 degrees that had absolutely no smell to them and what the little they did have disappeared after 2 minutes.
    I am taking the side of many posters that put the fragrances in a dark dresser drawer in the bedroom no matter what the temperature is. I will just go with that. If I have problems, in the future I will buy one bottle at a time. unfortunately, I have about 14 of them now. I went crazy with this pandemic going on with too much time on my hands.
    I do admit it! lol. I do really enjoy the fragrances though. 6 of them are Guerlain, and Guerlain is great stuff!.

Wow, that's pretty hot. Probably not quite at extreme level. But 68 is better than 89, though the difference is likely negligible.

Basenotes Plus

I used to keep all my fragrance in the bathroom but I read maybe on here not to do that. So I have them in bedroom Closet. I was thinking to get one of my old Ice chest and put in the closet and add them. In California we keep an Ice chest on are deck out of the sun and just have Pop water and vegetables No Ice and they stay very cool. So I'm thinking that would keep them in an even temperature. Might be over kill tho.

As you've probably read elsewhere, 12 C is what the Osmotheque keeps its perfumes at for storage.

Very interesting what you say. It makes sense that molecules don't evaporate much when it's cold. but once they are on the skin and they warm up with the skin, they should do as normal.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Wow, that's pretty hot. Probably not quite at extreme level. But 68 is better than 89, though the difference is likely negligible.
    I agree, but living proof fo me, that is when the bottles were in that wine cooler for 3 days the glass and contents were really chilled. It is a very cold 66 to 68 degrees inside and out of the bottle.
    While on the other hand when a house gets hot without direct sunlight like in a bedroom with dark shades in a drawer, I am sure the bottles do not feel warm to the touch. It is just a hot day and the house is warm but not hot to the touch.
    And being that the chilled fragrances were not smelling strong as when they are at room temperature. I am sold on keeping all of mine at room temperature in a dark dry place out of direct heat. I have no explanation of how anyone else could have good results with chilled fragrances. Its a mystery to me, although in many posts that I read, there seem to be more experienced people who will not use a cooler versus using a cooler.
    The bottom line, I wish I had a basement for more than one reason! my house is on piers.
    Perhaps my nose and skin type is a factor, but this little experiment was for me very conclusive.
    I do like the idea of the post from Barrett1950 suggesting an insulated chest. I'm thinking about keeping my fragrances in the wine cooler without it being pluged i! lol cheers!
    Last edited by new but older; 10th August 2020 at 05:19 AM. Reason: spelling

^right! In an 89 degree home, as long as it's kept away from light and it's kept in a dark location, the bottles will still feel a normal room temperature.

No light and no extreme humidity is enough to keep your perfumes safe for decades, well just don't put it in an oven.

Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    No light and no extreme humidity is enough to keep your perfumes safe for decades, well just don't put it in an oven.
    thanks and that is great to know. I appreciate the information. I want to update the situation with more details if I may.

Yesterday, about 2 pm I used 8 sprays of Guerlain Ideal lhomme cologne that was chilled very much so, and I couldn't smell much, next to anything, with no skin scent at all.
    I also used 8 daps out of a chilled mini bottle of JP le Male and did not have much of a smell. This is when I unplugged the wine cooler and started this thread. Also with the chilled fragrances, they evaporated instantly upon contact. I had tried a couple of other chilled fragrances, all with similar results.

Now today at 1 pm, after the fragrances settled to room temperature. I used only one spray of Ideal cologne, and it is back to a fantastic fragrance and it is lasting! I also checked and used only one dap which is at room temperature of JP le Male on the back of my hand and its strong and nice as usual.

There it is, thanks.
    Last edited by new but older; 10th August 2020 at 05:31 PM. Reason: grammar.