Code of Conduct

Default Question about POA months

I realised there is an average lifespan “upon opening” for the first time. I the seal to a cologne I got directly from Walmart.com. I wanted to make sure it looked legit and sure enough it is. I didn’t remove the top nor did I spray one time. I took a quick look and put it back into the box in complete darkness. Did opening the seal alone start the time ticking? I was under the impression it’s from the first time you sprayed but I could be wrong.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Question about POA months

I think you're fine.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I think you're fine.
    Agreed. As long as it's kept in the box and out of the heat, then you're good. If you keep it stored like that then it should last you a couple hundred years.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisGreen View Post
    I realised there is an average lifespan “upon opening” for the first time. I the seal to a cologne I got directly from Walmart.com. I wanted to make sure it looked legit and sure enough it is. I didn’t remove the top nor did I spray one time. I took a quick look and put it back into the box in complete darkness. Did opening the seal alone start the time ticking? I was under the impression it’s from the first time you sprayed but I could be wrong.
    I think the idea is based on introducing more oxygen to the bottle. Honestly though, if you think about all of the very old perfumes that still held up and the aged oils before mixed with alcohol...most of the aging probably happens by our noses getting used to the compositions. As for synthetics though I highly doubt they age at all, only natural materials for the most part. And even then, very slow and slightly after the first year of maceration.

It will be fine if you keep it dark and cool.

Basically, you looked at the bottle? No, the clock isn't ticking. Even if you did spray it, it's still a full bottle, so it's not going to deteriorate for at least your lifetime.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    It will be fine if you keep it dark and cool.
    Yep
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Djedi by Guerlain

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Dothraki View Post
    I think the idea is based on introducing more oxygen to the bottle. Honestly though, if you think about all of the very old perfumes that still held up and the aged oils before mixed with alcohol...most of the aging probably happens by our noses getting used to the compositions. As for synthetics though I highly doubt they age at all, only natural materials for the most part. And even then, very slow and slightly after the first year of maceration.
    Natural ingredients oxidize with exposure to oxygen which causes them to change character of scent and in a blend that can have major noticeable differences due to the chemistry behind the natural molecules themselves. Also maceration of natural ingredients will also change over time. These aren’t due to our noses getting used to the scent but rather the scent quite literally changes. In many cases top notes can disappear or take a back seat by becoming overpowered by basenotes etc. The same goes for synthetic aromachemicals. It’s pretty neat the science behind it.
    Currently wearing: Baque by Slumberhouse

Tending to agree and to second that if properly stored there is maybe little to downright no reason to worry about