Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Default Vintage Sample Swap and Synchronization 3

Hello vintage perfume fans! This is the beginning of a third round of vintage sample swap and synchronizations. The first round was during November 2019 (and a little of October and December either side) and the second round was during January 2020 (and into February). This is an August 2020 event (spilling into September).

This series of events was dubbed "Smell Club" by DrTricia, and was started by Earlyn who expanded the initial swap event. Contributing members include Grayspoole, LiveJazz, and PStoller, so six of us, over five households. Some other Basenoters have participated, in particular Sisyphus comes to mind, when he has had the perfumes on hand that were being discussed. Participation and discussion are encouraged. Let us know if you would like in on the swapping stages of future swaps. I think this kind of event could be done with up to 10 people.

We're sampling Mondays through Fridays, starting tomorrow morning, August 10th, and taking weekends off. Here is the lineup (and the person who provided the samples to the group):

1. D'Orsay Cherry Blossom (Earlyn)
    2. D'Orsay Arôme 3 (Grayspoole)
    3. D'Orsay Eau Fringante (PStoller)
    4. D'Orsay Toujours Fidèle (PStoller)
    5. D'Orsay Élégance (PStoller)

6. Lanvin Eau Rumeur (DrTricia)
    7. Eau de Lanvin (PStoller)
    8. Monsieur Lanvin (PStoller)
    9. Monsieur Lanvin Vetyver (PStoller)
    10. Lanvin for Men (PStoller)

11. D'Albret Princesse (Earlyn)
    12. D'Albret Casaque (Earlyn)
    13. Vintage Diorama (Bavard/Grayspoole)
    14. Modern Diorama (Bavard)
    15. Caron Bellodgia edt (Grayspoole)

16. Guerlain Nahéma (DrTricia)
    17. Guerlain Vetiver (LiveJazz)
    18. Guerlain Shalimar edc (LiveJazz)
    19. Guerlain Sous Le Vent (Bavard)
    20. Grès Cabochard (Dr. Tricia)

21. Piguet Cravache edt (Grayspoole)
    22. Gianfranco Ferre for Man (Bavard)
    23. Boss No. 1 (Bavard)
    24. Hermès Équipage (LiveJazz)
    25. Blind Sample (PStoller)

The first two rounds were super fun, and this seems set to follow in that tradition.
    Last edited by Bavard; 25th August 2020 at 05:58 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Vintage Sample Swap and Synchronization 3

Are you passing these from person to person, or does everyone have their own batch?

That's a LOT of perfumes... but I guess if you only do five a week over five weeks, it's manageable. And it'll be nice to hear reports on the D'Orsays.

Dependent

I'm excited to hear what people have to say! What a wonderful lineup!

Everyone has a batch. Round 1 had 36 samples.

Basenotes Plus

There are quite a few of these that I’m so excited to finally have the chance to explore. And super excited to be a part of Smell Club!

Here’s a pic of the first sample for Monday, and the beginning of our D’Orsay week.

D’Orsay Cherry Blossom 1910

230843B2-A24C-423C-9649-CAE6233B3D8B.jpg

D’Orsay moved into the American market in 1910 so this might be the first or one of the first to be a New York and Paris fragrance.

I love this bottle with its frilly ruffled collar. It captures the feeling of the delicately tinted tulle fashions of the time. I can see from the deeper folds in the ruff that it used to be a lovely pale berry-pink similar in color to the foiled label. It makes me think of one of those ballerinas in a jewelry box. I wonder if this fragrance and bottle appealed to the younger crowd...

90681A70-E068-4006-9370-9CA4158AB62A.jpg
    ”I want all the perfumes”
    Currently wearing: Knize Two by Knize

Having only one or two of these likely non-vintage will be watching from the bench!!! Let the sampling begin!
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cartier by Cartier

Basenotes Plus

I'm very excited about the d'Orsay Cherry Blossom, which Earlyn and I had discussed before. I probably won't have any smelling notes until late, as I have a busy day tomorrow, but regardless of how much I actually like it, it will be a highlight for me to try a rare d'Orsay.

(See also "Vintage Fragrances I Bought Today.")

I'm drinking in the opening of Cherry Blossom. This is soapy. A very nice, colorful soap. I remember specialty soap shops. I loved those places. This is so soapy, it smells like it's meant to get a person clean first and foremost, and that the perfume is just added as an extra. This soap is so exquisite, it leaves skin soft, almost lotioned, but dry.

Big thumbs up. It smells like it's made with the good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I'm drinking in the opening of Cherry Blossom.
    What a nice way to express the experience of the intro! It smells greenish white, soft, floral, cool and misty, like a dawn stroll in an exceptionally manicured flower garden. Soap, yes, but not in a sharp way...nothing remotely abrasive here. It's a satiny-plush white soap type of smell. Can't say I get something I'd clearly peg as cherry blossom, which I usually am able to recognize easily.

These's a tiny layer of milky sweetness here...maybe hinting at almond butter. A vague echo of Apres L'Ondee, maybe. I'm in the middle phases now...this almondy plushness is growing and feels like it's going to be a decent component of the base, still on a cool soapy foundation. I am now getting a little more cherry bl

Really nice...I have missed smelling these deep vintages. They have such a distinctive full-bodied feel, and have gravitas even when (to Earlyn's point) trying to be "frilly".

Thanks for sharing...a harbinger of great smelling to come!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Santal by Roger & Gallet

As the day wears on, I agree about the comparison to Apres L'Ondee - it has that kind of mood. Another fragrance that came to mind, and made me come back to the thread to mention it, is Platinum Egoiste. This is much softer than that, but this is the kind of effect Platinum Egoiste was going for, I think: all-day clean.

It didn't last that long for me. It's a medium on the strength scale.
    Last edited by Bavard; 11th August 2020 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    It smells greenish white, soft, floral, cool and misty, like a dawn stroll in an exceptionally manicured flower garden. Soap, yes, but not in a sharp way...nothing remotely abrasive here. It's a satiny-plush white soap type of smell. Can't say I get something I'd clearly peg as cherry blossom, which I usually am able to recognize easily.

These's a tiny layer of milky sweetness here...maybe hinting at almond butter. A vague echo of Apres L'Ondee, maybe. I'm in the middle phases now...this almondy plushness is growing and feels like it's going to be a decent component of the base, still on a cool soapy foundation. I am now getting a little more cherry blossom
    LiveJazz - I agree with these notes.

The hint of green I get is like parsley. I haven’t tried Apes L’Ondee so can’t speak to that comparison. This settles to an almond/vanilla/cherry and I wonder if this is some heliotrope making that happen.

As this progressed my eyebrows went up. It went from a more sweet and transparent feel to a marzipan and skin “plushness”, to use your word, that for me is a pretty direct reference to intimate female parts. Seriously, I was like “Oh, my!”

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    As this progressed my eyebrows went up. It went from a more sweet and transparent feel to a marzipan and skin “plushness”, to use your word, that for me is a pretty direct reference to intimate female parts. Seriously, I was like “Oh, my!”
    Perhaps “cherry blossom” is a metaphor.

Maybe a fresh bottle would have a clearer cherry blossom note on top...I'm not sure how delicate and prone to aging that might be, but it does seem odd that the note would be almost entirely missing!

Now very deep in the fading base, I do get the reference to skin...there's a little salty warmth going on. It's hot here and I've been on a walk, so my own skin smell + some remnants of unintentionally layered sunscreen is probably contributing).
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Perhaps “cherry blossom” is a metaphor.
    Ha! I was kind of thinking that too. I almost posted a pic of Lolita as a counter point to the old fashioned girl but that was just too cringy to think about.

Maybe a fresh bottle would have a clearer cherry blossom note on top...I'm not sure how delicate and prone to aging that might be, but it does seem odd that the note would be almost entirely missing!

Now very deep in the fading base, I do get the reference to skin...there's a little salty warmth going on. It's hot here and I've been on a walk, so my own skin smell + some remnants of unintentionally layered sunscreen is probably contributing).
    I don’t have a good cherry blossom reference to compare. What is a good one?

Considering this bottle may be from before the Titanic went down, I’d guess that a new batch would be quite another story. Now where’s that Tardis?

The base for me also has some kind of sarsaparilla or not-quite-anise but kind of fennel bulb smelling thing that I continue to try to figure out as I often smell in deep vintage well into the base as a final persistent note.

Basenotes Plus

What wonderful notes on this. I instantly got cherry upon application. It made me smile. I guess it could be because I met Mr.S. in the cherry capital of the world, Traverse City, Michigan, during Cherry Festival season. Back to the juice — The cherry intro was fleeting, and I never really got much soap, but it did warm up very quickly, and settled into a pleasant, slightly milky companion. I‘m having an experience similar to LJ, and am having trouble distinguishing the perfume from my body lotion in the late stages. It could be that I didn’t put enough on, as I wanted to save enough for Mr. S. Normally I tend to be a serial sprayer, but this morning I was a demure dabber.

Basenotes Plus

Mr. S. is grateful for the good doctor's restraint in application so he would have enough left to play with.

Like DrT., I got cherry right up front, which may be quite different from cherry blossom, but then, nobody ever said fragrance had to be literal. I also got a spicy, peppery note, which I suppose might also read as soapy (per Bavard), and it might also be tied to Earlyn's "sarsaparilla." I would hazard a guess it's at least in part carnation. I'm still waiting for that "Cherry-Netherland" funk, but I only just got home, so perhaps those petals will bloom a little later (as they are wont to do).

Basenotes Plus

It’s the long awaited return of the Vintage Sample Sync! And I’m already running late with my comments on Earlyn’s D’Orsay Cherry Blossom (1910)...

I was pleasantly surprised to learn that there were deep vintage cherry blossom fragrances. I usually associate cherry blossom with the “fantasy” notes found in modern fruity florals such as the 2000 Bath & Body Works perfume or the 2000 Aqua Allegoria Cherry Blossom. Another good cherry blossom reference might be Zoologist Nightingale, which is an intriguing attempt to capture the scent of the Japanese spring by the Japanese perfumer Tomoo Inaba. Nightingale references “plum blossoms” and not cherry blossoms, but I understand that the scents are similar. I applied some Nightingale to compare to the D’Orsay, and I felt there was a connection in the shared dry, slightly tart floral notes. Nightingale’s base of modern woods is completely different from the vintage Cherry Blossom, however.

There aren’t all that many “Cherry Blossom” perfumes of the past, but Perfume Intelligence does list a few besides the D’Orsay:

Cherry BlossomJohn Gosnell & Co 1853
    Cherry BlossomGarwood's Standard Perfumes1900
    Cherry BlossomPaul Reiger & Co. 1907
    Cherry BlossomLorenz Bro. Co1909
    Cherry BlossomParfums d'Orsay1910
    Cherry BlossomProfumieri Migone et Cie1912

Interestingly, the Washington cherry trees were planted about the same time as the launch of the D’Orsay perfume, in direct imitation of the use of the tree in Japan:

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/cherryb...erry-trees.htm

So, what do cherry blossoms actually smell like? I haven’t a clue although I’ve lived near these trees all my life and enjoyed their spring blooms. I believe many varieties are scentless. Next spring, I will have to make more of an effort to find a scented cherry tree.

The D’Orsay flacon with its frill is so pretty, and the perfume within seems very well preserved. I thought the D’Orsay’s Cherry Blossom opened delightfully and became a delicately floral scent with a liqueur-clarity. It had a pleasant aldehydic dryness that was balanced with a creaminess that was suggestive of a good castile soap. It didn’t remind me of any other floral note. I didn’t get the marzipan “plushness” described by LiveJazz or any scent of the feminine body evoked by Earlyn. I felt I was smelling a soliflore all of the way through, and like Bavard, I felt the overall effect was very clean. I enjoyed testing this perfume very much, and I plan to explore it further.

Moving on to our next scent, the samples come from my bottle of vintage Arome 3:

8BD097D5-C00F-4557-A9C6-2F1B31115822.jpeg

On her D’Orsay blog, Grace Hummel states that Arome 3 was launched in 1943 and reintroduced in 1958 and then again in 1995. My bottle looks like a 1960’s or 1970’s bottle to me. I picked up this handsome bottle mostly because I was intrigued by the ads marketing to this vintage cologne to both men and women.

883CE059-2200-42A5-A88D-78850A1896C5.jpeg

The one above recommends Arome 3 for the Madame who “gets tired of her perfume and does not recognize the smell anymore,” which I thought was a funny pitch, I look forward to reading everyone’s thoughts on Arome 3.

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    . . . my comments on Earlyn’s D’Orsay Cherry Blossom (1910) . . . I applied some Nightingale to compare to the D’Orsay, and I felt there was a connection in the shared dry, slightly tart floral notes . . . I thought the D’Orsay’s Cherry Blossom opened delightfully and became a delicately floral scent with a liqueur-clarity. It had a pleasant aldehydic dryness that was balanced with a creaminess that was suggestive of a good castile soap.
    I like the descriptions "tart" and "dry" for Cherry Blossom.

Arome 3 is smelling familiar / typical to me, a dry lavender. There have been a few in this series, including Mouchoir de Monsieur.

Under the lavender, this one is even warmer. I can't remember all of the fragrances we've tried with this sharp lavender - at least one other - somewhere between three and six, overall, I think. Maybe four. I could look back. One was a rarity from Earlyn, I think, with a one-word name.

The base or support for the lavender is really good in Arome 3, warm with a hint of animalic, or woods, or something good.

This almost comes across as salty to me. I like it.

Again, there is an easy-to-like roundness to this perfume, like the first d'Orsay.

Under the lavender, this one is even warmer. I can't remember all of the fragrances we've tried with this sharp lavender - at least one other - somewhere between three and six, overall, I think. Maybe four. I could look back. One was a rarity from Earlyn, I think, with a one-word name.
    Must have been Houbigant Note. I think it had a big lavender top.

I'm liking this Arome 3. Very nice lavender opening. To your point, it smells typical of the period. A cleaned up Jicky or MdM, maybe. This is more dry and tart than most of its contemporaries, and seems to rely more on wood in the background vs. vanilla/musk...it maintains the feel of a brisk and soapy lavender water, as opposed to a thicker, more voluptuous perfume with lavender sprinkled on top. There's some softness in the base, a bit of a balsamic feel, but it's very discreet and really feels mainly like an aromatic woody foundation. Seems Mediterranean.

I would go so far as to say this smells like a forerunner to something like Puig Agua Lavanda, a classic masculine herbal/woody lavender. Like the Puig, this feels simple, honest, clean and utilitarian but also calming and relaxing.

~~~

Oh, and to Earlyn's question earlier, my (questionable) reference for cherry blossom is one of those "fantasy" scents that Grayspoole mentioned. When I started dating my wife, she had a cherry blossom body lotion & spray and room scent set. It had a very strong and distinctive sweet floral scent, and it's totally seared into my memory.

I don't know for sure, but think it was Bath and Body Works...which doesn't bode well for its botanical accuracy, but that's the scent of cherry blossom in my mind. I am more than willing to accept that the d'Orsay does smell like the real stuff, and the B&BW products did not!
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 12th August 2020 at 06:16 PM.

Basenotes Plus

CC431B07-8A41-4F6C-81F2-6244ADE2D319.jpg

My Arôme 3 bottle is identical to Grayspoole’s. I got it as part of this deluxe vinyl-clad set, but I’ve never worn it before, so this is still a treat. (T and I used G’s vial.) It is, as others have noted, a warm, lavender-forward fougère, easing gently into a floral/herbal midstage that’s all about blend rather than striking individual notes. I have time yet to spend with it, but off the top, this is what I had hoped Caron’s Pour un Homme—Les Plus Belles Lavandes would be like. This strikes me as a super easy wear.

T will give her own notes, but her one-word review was, “More!”

LATER: This stays lovely, though longevity on me, while decent, isn't amazing. It never gets "dirty," in accord with LiveJazz's "simple, honest…cleaned up" commentary. So, office/day-friendly, then out of the way for a more sensual evening scent. Or, as ZC notes, a cozy bedtime scent when you want clean sheets rather than a desperate cry for maid service the next morning.
    Last edited by PStoller; 12th August 2020 at 01:06 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Arôme 3 is, so far, a big thumbs up for me. It opens with a jaggy lavender, reminiscent of Jicky, then proceeds to warm and sweeten into a cousin of Lanvin Scandal extrait. I am really enjoying this.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I'm not technically part of this swap but beyond my thoughts on Arôme 3 found in my review, I think it's one of if not the best D'Orsay scents a man can wear, followed closely behind by Chevalier d'Orsay (1911). The small powdery speck of iris in the heart gives this so much class, and the way it works with the lavender/oakmoss here is perfect. Like noted upthread, this is all about blending, not unlike Guerlain from the period. Arôme 3 is just massively cozy and enjoyable to wear at night, winding down before bed.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Arome 3 is smelling familiar / typical to me, a dry lavender. There have been a few in this series, including Mouchoir de Monsieur.

I do think of a warmer MdM after the initial lavender. I went and looked back at the prior VSSS and we had Houbigant Note, which was a rose musk, and Dana Totem, which was a lavender tonka. Bavard you mentioned the lavender top in Totem on that thread. Lavender does seem to hold up well.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTricia View Post
    Arôme 3 is, so far, a big thumbs up for me. It opens with a jaggy lavender, reminiscent of Jicky, then proceeds to warm and sweeten into a cousin of Lanvin Scandal extrait. I am really enjoying this.
    I love your word “jaggy” - perfect to describe the lavender. I put on Arome 3 right before a walk and smelled so fresh I thought I might attract insects.
    I think that bit of warmth with the sweetness in heart of Arome 3 does a very good job of exalting a natural skin scent, kind of like a fantasy skin, or an olfactory Instragram filter. Skin, only more so. Very cozy.
    I know I don’t smell this good naturally, but I like to imagine that I do.

Waiting on the base.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Earlyn View Post
    I do think of a warmer MdM after the initial lavender. I went and looked back at the prior VSSS and we had Houbigant Note, which was a rose musk, and Dana Totem, which was a lavender tonka. Bavard you mentioned the lavender top in Totem on that thread. Lavender does seem to hold up well.

I love your word “jaggy” - perfect to describe the lavender. I put on Arome 3 right before a walk and smelled so fresh I thought I might attract insects.
    I think that bit of warmth with the sweetness in heart of Arome 3 does a very good job of exalting a natural skin scent, kind of like a fantasy skin, or an olfactory Instragram filter. Skin, only more so. Very cozy.
    I know I don’t smell this good naturally, but I like to imagine that I do.

Waiting on the base.
    “…and smelled so fresh I thought I might attract insects” Made me literally laugh out loud!

D'Orsay Eau Fringante

Rubbery, watery green, earthy, and vegetal to start. Mental imagery includes a moist creek bed with decomposing wood and plants, racquetballs and a sweaty racquetball court after a game, and freshly cut foliage. The rubber really dominates things to by nose, especially in the sillage.

Strangely, sniffing my wrist up close, I get a warmer, smoother mixed floral tone that is missing in the version of the scent that naturally wafts up to me...but still with the aforementioned oddities as the foundation.

In the heart, a growing woody/salty accord, and more earthy as opposed to damp and vegetal. Still with a rubbery tone in the sillage, but less so up close. This is one strange performer. The texture is...chewy?

Up to this point, Eau Fringante feels rather like the futuristic avant-garde scents of ~15-20 years ago, like maybe Comme des Garcons Odeur 71. That one also features a weird rubbery-warm and green-earthy combo...but this is more soily, damp and mildewy and the rubbery is more organic and less industrial. Surprising to smell this coming form a vintage d'Orsay to say the least! Can't say I enjoy it much, though, beyond the novelty and surprise factor.

In the deeper base, it enters a more typical woody-powdery fougere zone with earthy hues, light bodied and pleasant. Finally, it is "dashing" as promised.

After searching up a note list, I see LOTV, patchouli, ambergris and civet listed...which in hindsight sounds pretty dead on to what I'm smelling. LOTV reads as watery-vegetal to me, patchouli is earthy-woody, ambergris salty, and civet must be the sweaty feeling I experience.

Basenotes Plus

Hi all-

I’m glad everyone seemed to enjoy Arome 3. I’ll come out of the Zoom trenches to record some thoughts now as well.

I have oft pondered the text on the back of the label on my bottle, which claims (in French) that Arome 3 is a creation shaped by “the unprecedented contribution of hitherto unknown scents.” What might these “hitherto unknown scents” be?

The lavender top note is unmistakable, as everyone has said, and I absolutely love it. It’s a definitive lavender for me. It’s herbal and green, breezy, slightly sweet, and not at all sharp. It smells just like my lavender plants, turned into perfume. (The “lavender” in modern perfumes such as Mon Guerlain? I don’t know what that is, as I’ve written crankily before.) The lavender note doesn’t last very long, but I think it is to be expected.

I applied Arome 3 early yesterday and went out for a walk in the warm and muggy morning. I think this is a good way of testing perfumes. I find a good clean sweat can amp up modern woody aromachemicals to almost alarming levels of intensity, but Arome 3 dried down beautifully and subtly to a soft ambered woods, with hints of tobacco and leather. I agree with Earlyn that it turns into “a natural skin scent, kind of like a fantasy skin, or an olfactory Instragram filter” or “skin, only more so” and with PStoller that it is not “dirty.” But it still feels alive. I’m also with Bavard. “This almost comes across as salty to me. I like it.”

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say, without the benefit of GCMS, that I think there might be some natural ambergris in vintage Arome 3, providing this delicate salty fleshiness or hint of human breath (sans mints or mouthwash). Definitely notthe bolder civet of vintage Mouchoir de Monsieur

Dr. Tricia, you intrigued me with your observation that Arome 3 “sweetens into a cousin of Lanvin Scandal” so I am trying them side by side this morning (Scandal vintage extrait). Lordy, Scandal is good stuff. The relationship is there—Arome 3’s drydown and Scandal pretty much from the start.

Vintage Arome 3 is not an all day scent, lasting about 4 hours from first spray to finish but I think that is how it was intended to be. The note list published here seems to come from the marketing for the 1995 reissue:

Top Notes
    Petitgrain, Bergamot, Lavender, Neroli
    Heart Notes
    Sage, Ylang Ylang, Jasmine, Coriander, Clove
    Base notes
    Cedarwood, Moss, Amber, Pastoral

I really don’t think there is ylang ylang, cloves, cedar, or “pastoral” (?) in my bottle. Can anyone compare the sample to the 1995 version?

And to go back to our discussion of cherry blossom scents of the recent past, if your former girlfriend and now lovely wife didn’t have the B&B version, Live Jazz, there were/are many others including L’Occitane, Jo Malone, Elizabeth Arden, etc. Cherry blossom perfumes were pink and popular in the 2000’s. I wish I could recall these scents more precisely but they were light, floral, fruity and usually without heavier modern musks or woods so they that felt fresh and youthful. Sweeter than the D’Orsay, as you said, LJ.

We visited Japan last August, and I feel that many of the bottles of shower gel and shampoo provided in our accommodations had a light and dry aldehydic floral scent that I couldn’t identify—a little bit like rose but not quite, perhaps LOTV, but definitely no jasmine or any indolic white floral. I now think it’s possible that these were Japanese cherry blossom products.

On to Eau Fringante…dashing water? frisky water? fresh water?

Basenotes Plus

I am fighting to be patient with Eau Fringante, but so far it’s awful.

Quote Originally Posted by grayspoole View Post
    It smells just like my lavender plants, turned into perfume.

Well put; it's incredibly realistic. Between this and Earlyn's wonderful word, "jaggy", I think it's pegged.

I think there might be some natural ambergris in vintage Arome 3, providing this delicate salty fleshiness or hint of human breath
    There have been a number of references to skin and salt so far, including (now) my impression of Eau Frigante. I'm wondering if perhaps D'Orsay had a house tendency to use a light ambergris.

On to Eau Fringante…dashing water? frisky water? fresh water?

I was also struggling with the word. Google and various online sources insist on "dashing", but that...doesn't really fit the scent. In addition to "frisky," I've also seen "feisty" and "prankish" in a few places. Must be open subject to native-speaker flexible understanding based on context.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTricia View Post
    I am fighting to be patient with Eau Fringante, but so far it’s awful.
    Yeah, I was trying to be nice, but the opening stages are rough.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 12th August 2020 at 09:27 PM.

Yeah, I was trying to be nice, but the opening stages are rough.
    I think the Eau Frigante may have gone off, partly. I agree that it has bad moments in the early stages. I get anosmic to the bad note, which is why I think it can smell nice up close, but the bad note keeps coming back.

My vote is fragrance deterioration, but I'm not 100% convinced. Maybe it's actually supposed to be kind of shocking like this (I don't think it is).

About the part that smells good when I'm anosmic to the bad part, I get what I keep thinking is a nice vetiver note.

The bad part might be going away entirely. I have had a bottle that rehabilitated itself, and got rid of a turned smell. I don't really understand how, even when I think about it for a while.

When the off note isn't in the way, this is really nice. It has a beautiful oak moss. The off-ness, though, is a killer. It's faint and I can barely smell the nice oak moss (and maybe vetiver), so my natural inclination would be to reapply, but I'm feeling hesitant.

This is the same sweet oak moss as in Chanel Pour Monsieur, I think.