Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Better performing alternative to Chanel PM EDT?

One of the very few bottles I’ve emptied in less than a year while at school. It was a 100 ml bought new in 1983. I kept spraying and spraying and spraying. Never replaced it. (Got Drakkar Noir after that. Could fumigate the entire residence floor with a few sprays of that thing, lol )

Default Better performing alternative to Chanel PM EDT?

Quote Originally Posted by beartown View Post
    I'd say it's completely different.

EDT is pure ginger and not much more. I like it, but performance is close to none.
    EDP is ginger with noticeable citrus and lavender. I love it, but performance, while much better than EDT, is still poor.
    Not sure which scent you’re suggesting has ginger in it, but neither Chanel PM or the Boucheron PH series has a drop of it in there.

If you mean the Chanel, the spice note you are picking up is cardamom.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    BOUCHERON POUR HOMME is not "like" POUR MONSIEUR to me but it is a very strong citrus scent. Maybe the strongest citrus I ever tried.
    Quite potent and not over the top pricey. Probably not easy to find in brick and mortar now. Not sure where you live.
    It was suggested as it’s exactly the opening of the Chanel PM that the OP is looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    Pour Monsieur EDP has the nicest smoothest civet in it that I've never seen mentioned.
    The OP has said he dislikes civet and other “animalic” aspects in citrus based scents.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    It was suggested as it’s exactly the opening of the Chanel PM that the OP is looking for.

The OP has said he dislikes civet and other “animalic” aspects in citrus based scents.

I don't think he'd find a problem with this being animalic, because it's not. It's no Shalimar or Jicky or Musc Ravaguer. It's really more just a light handed application that if you weren't looking for it you'd probably never find anyways. Kinda like when people claim to hate ambroxan, and then own a dozen perfumes that feature ambroxan in the forefront.

Basenotes Member

+1 for Boucheron Pour Homme, but I'd go for the EDT if you want something closer to CPM. I have the EDP and enjoy it because it's more dense, floral, and with a touch of musk to it on my skin, but the EDT is brighter, crisper and cleaner IMHO. I absolutely love the EDP, I just bought a new bottle from 2018 that lasts until I shower on my skin, and days on clothes.

If you like Acqua Di Parma Colonia, I'd recommend trying Intensa and Assoluta. Both are minor tweaks on the original formula with great increases in longevity. I got 5-6 hrs out of the original, 6-8 from Assoluta and 8-10 from Intensa. Assoluta is the more bright and floral of the two, the leather in Intensa may register as too dirty for you but I really doubt it. Worth sampling!

I don't think he'd find a problem with this being animalic, because it's not. It's no Shalimar or Jicky or Musc Ravaguer. It's really more just a light handed application that if you weren't looking for it you'd probably never find anyways. Kinda like when people claim to hate ambroxan, and then own a dozen perfumes that feature ambroxan in the forefront.
    Actually I misquoted the OP - the word he used was “skanky”.

Not sure which scent you’re suggesting has ginger in it, but neither Chanel PM or the Boucheron PH series has a drop of it in there.

If you mean the Chanel, the spice note you are licking up is cardamom.
    I'm talking about Chanel and yes, it does have ginger note in it. How can you not smell it? I see Basenotes doesn't list it, but every other source does.

Oh yes, I quite agree. Good citrus open for sure. Great.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Heaven's made of oakmoss

I didn't even know there's an EdP version of CPM.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    It used to be called CPM Concentree.

Now it’s the CPM EDP.

I liked the Concentree better.

But have any of you guys smelled Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017? It’s the reason I sold my bottle of CPM. To me, they basically accomplished the same thing but the Dior lasts almost twice as long.
    2020 Fall: 1.BdJ 2.BR 3.IB 4.Fjerne 5.Ore 6.ADG 7.BdCP 8.Prada CdN 9.TOM 10.BAV 11.Cr-EPC 12.NYI 13.ZdG 14.ESAS 15.1962
    2021 Winter: 1.DHI 2.Ganymede 3.OFG 4.Tuxedo 5.Egoiste 6.TR 7.RO 8.AdGA 9.Elysium PPH 10.Vik 11.Prada LH 12.ESP2017 13.Jeke 14.AdGProfumo
    2021 Spring: 1.Rehab 2.MicallefAG 3.ATOH 4.DH 5.SE 6.AdGAI 7.P+O 8.CB 9.GIT 10. AdGProfondo 11.AHEB 12.CLEI 13.Fahrenheit 14.Sova
    Summer 1.VIW 2.VM 3.LDDM 4.DiorBS 5.MI 6.Nio

The EDP version was how I found CPM. I fell in love with the scent instantly. Then I learned that there's also EDT, but they don't have much in common. EDT is too simple and flat to me, even though it's really pleasant. What I love about EDP is being multi-dimensional.

Fragrance, sensory bliss.

Yes it’s the Pour Monsieur Concentree renamed at least they say it is. It’s available via Chanel.com at least it is in the US, honestly wish the EDT was available and the EDP got discontinued in the USA. I tried wearing the EDP, while it’s nice it doesn’t hold up to well in the higher temperatures had a dirty vibe about it which comes out in the heat. The EDT works excellent all year round and imo smells the nicest.

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Yes it’s the Pour Monsieur Concentree renamed at least they say it is. It’s available via Chanel.com at least it is in the US, honestly wish the EDT was available and the EDP got discontinued in the USA. I tried wearing the EDP, while it’s nice it doesn’t hold up to well in the higher temperatures had a dirty vibe about it which comes out in the heat. The EDT works excellent all year round and imo smells the nicest.
    The EDP version was how I found CPM. I fell in love with the scent instantly. Then I learned that there's also EDT, but they don't have much in common. EDT is too simple and flat to me, even though it's really pleasant. What I love about EDP is being multi-dimensional.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    It used to be called CPM Concentree.

Now it’s the CPM EDP.

I liked the Concentree better.

But have any of you guys smelled Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017? It’s the reason I sold my bottle of CPM. To me, they basically accomplished the same thing but the Dior lasts almost twice as long.
    Ah, okay. 10-4! Doubt I'll like it, as I disliked the concentrèe (I detest vanilla, see). Thank you, gentlemen!

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Selfridges won't even ship the EDT to America it's ridiculous. Bavard says that the most recent batch of Pour Monsieur is more yellow and more improved from previous years so I don't mind waiting, and whenever Europe at large opens up to Americans again this will be a purchase.

Fragrance, sensory bliss.

Selfridges won't even ship the EDT to America it's ridiculous. Bavard says that the most recent batch of Pour Monsieur is more yellow and more improved from previous years so I don't mind waiting, and whenever Europe at large opens up to Americans again this will be a purchase.
    Very nice, I didn’t even know of this website I guess hope for Pour Monsieur EDT is not lost after all I will be waiting and buying some when they lift the shipping pause. Is the shipping to the United States expensive, have you had good luck with this website?

There is but it is quite arguably not really an EdP version of the original POUR MONSIEUR.

It is its own scent, related more to POUR MONSIEUR CONCENTRE which wasn't really related to original POUR MONSIEUR either.

It's an okay scent. A bit barbershoppy/wet shaver kind of conservative scent. I like it but it's not in the same league as POUR MONSIEUR.
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

I like it but it's not in the same league as POUR MONSIEUR.
    I'm confused since I know Pour Monsieur for just about a year now. Was it reformulated since it was in some high league or what? To me it's just too watery to call it a high league frag.

I'm confused since I know Pour Monsieur for just about a year now. Was it reformulated since it was in some high league or what? To me it's just too watery to call it a high league frag.

Watery? That’s the first time I’ve ever heard anyone describe it that way. It’s not watery at all.

Where did you smell this? I’m only asking because “100% ginger juice” and “watery” doesn’t sound like CPM. It’s like you smelled a fake or got it mixed up with something else. There are a ton of fake Chanel’s out there.

People have said it’s been reformulated and is much weaker now, but not loaded with ginger or that it’s become an aquatic.
    2020 Fall: 1.BdJ 2.BR 3.IB 4.Fjerne 5.Ore 6.ADG 7.BdCP 8.Prada CdN 9.TOM 10.BAV 11.Cr-EPC 12.NYI 13.ZdG 14.ESAS 15.1962
    2021 Winter: 1.DHI 2.Ganymede 3.OFG 4.Tuxedo 5.Egoiste 6.TR 7.RO 8.AdGA 9.Elysium PPH 10.Vik 11.Prada LH 12.ESP2017 13.Jeke 14.AdGProfumo
    2021 Spring: 1.Rehab 2.MicallefAG 3.ATOH 4.DH 5.SE 6.AdGAI 7.P+O 8.CB 9.GIT 10. AdGProfondo 11.AHEB 12.CLEI 13.Fahrenheit 14.Sova

Watery? That’s the first time I’ve ever heard anyone describe it that way. It’s not watery at all.

Where did you smell this? I’m only asking because “100% ginger juice” and “watery” doesn’t sound like CPM. It’s like you smelled a fake or got it mixed up with something else. There are a ton of fake Chanel’s out there.

People have said it’s been reformulated and is much weaker now, but not loaded with ginger or that it’s become an aquatic.
    I smelled it in a trusted perfumerie, 100% legit. Seriously confused now. Is it possible that it's different in USA? I live in Europe. Pour Monsieur EDT = light, watery, gingery juice to me. I literally had it yesterday on my skin.

OP, Pour Monsieur EDT is not replaceable with any other fragrance in my experience, as others have said just buy and spray more.

I purchased another bottle recently, its a 2020 batch, and the juice is more yellow than my 2018 bottle which was quite pale. Performance still isnt great on skin, but sprayed on clothes it just about gets me through a workday.

The EDP is great too, if you haven't tried it yet, please do, it takes the PM dna in a slightly oriental direction, but still super clean and amazing as the edt. Try spraying the edp on skin and edt on clothes, works great.

Heaven's made of oakmoss

I smelled it in a trusted perfumerie, 100% legit. Seriously confused now. Is it possible that it's different in USA? I live in Europe. Pour Monsieur EDT = light, watery, gingery juice to me. I literally had it yesterday on my skin.
    Skin-chemistry is a huge factor. However, on me, CPM performed a bit better before the juice became weirdly green-tinted.

Skin-chemistry is a huge factor. However, on me, CPM performed a bit better before the juice became weirdly green-tinted.
    Yeah, what I tried was really green.

I don’t know...I guess it could be!

The most recent version of it that I’ve smelled is either 2017 or 2018. I haven’t smelled the most recent bottles, so imagine there could be some differences. Mine was from the Chanel online boutique, USA. The juice was pretty strong too, with good longevity (6 to 8 hours). I mean, I’ve heard some people complain about CPM’s latest version being a shell of what it once was, but I figured they were either comparing it to stuff from the 80’s and 90’s (and what isn’t a shell of itself compared to that era) or just exaggerating about how bad it’s become. But maybe they were smelling the same stuff you had gotten your nose on—in which case if it’s legit juice as you say it is (and I believe you)—that’s a damn shame.

I

But maybe they were smelling the same stuff you had gotten your nose on—in which case if it’s legit juice as you say it is (and I believe you)—that’s a damn shame.
    It was in Douglas perfumerie, which is a leading one in Europe along with Sephora. Not sure if it exists in the USA.

Maybe I'm tripping, but I feel like Chanel really cut their fragrance quality in 2019. I noticed that with Allure and Bleu EDP too. But for Pour Monsieur, I don't have any comparison, since I first tried it in January 2020.

To me it is just another freshy: better try Cologne Grand Luxe...a freshy that lasts!

Your experience notwithstanding, CHANEL POUR MONSIEUR has long been regarded as a classic well executed male scent.

Your posts have repeatedly made your love for strong, super heavy sillage, very long lasting fragrances well known.

Not everyone here, or in the world, shares your philosophy that a fragrance must fill up a room and last 27 hours to be any good.

Your experience notwithstanding, CHANEL POUR MONSIEUR has long been regarded as a classic well executed male scent.

Your posts have repeatedly made your love for strong, super heavy sillage, very long lasting fragrances well known.

Not everyone here, or in the world, shares your philosophy that a fragrance must fill up a room and last 27 hours to be any good.
    I don't think CPM is known for performing well though. I've seen many complaining about how it performs. On Fragrantica, its sillage is rated as soft/moderate, which is worse than the average. Not sure where you found out that it's known for performing good.

Also, I'm not a fan of STRONG fragrance neither. But I find skin scents (most of today's fragrances) useless. It's like a boiling frog effect - many people accepted the huge quality drop in fragrance industry over the years and when I want my fragrance to perform like it used to when I started my journey, I'm called a strong fragrance lover. All I want is to feel my fragrance after several hours and make other people notice it too.

I don't think CPM is known for performing well though. I've seen many complaining about how it performs. On Fragrantica, its sillage is rated as soft/moderate, which is worse than the average. Not sure where you found out that it's known for performing good.

Also, I'm not a fan of STRONG fragrance neither. But I find skin scents (most of today's fragrances) useless. It's like a boiling frog effect - many people accepted the huge quality drop in fragrance industry over the years and when I want my fragrance to perform like it used to when I started my journey, I'm called a strong fragrance lover. All I want is to feel my fragrance after several hours and make other people notice it too.
    So it's quite obvious that this scent is not for you.

As Stylin said, some people like nuclear strong fragrances, whereas others like something soft and delicate. I wouldn't wear something very strong to a job interview for example, whereas Chanel PM would fit the scene really quite well.

Each to their own.

I wouldn't wear something very strong to a job interview for example, whereas Chanel PM would fit the scene really quite well.
    Yeah, assuming you don't want your interviewer to notice any fragrance at all Unless you spray it shortly before the interview, that is. I think we can count the non-niche "nuclear bombs" on two hands.

I never said anything about it "performing good." It is known that is not a strong scent for sure. It is nevertheless loved and appreciated by many as a nice scent whether people forty feet away can smell it or not.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast